ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Football............ wut up?

Herkmeister

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Not that Indiana Football matters, and I certainly don't want to give anyone the impression I care much, but just curious what others know or think is going on there.

With their OL captain and QB departing, is their roster improving or is there dissention?

Some on their board seem to think Coy Cronk isn't good enough to play next year. Penix was injured so certainly he plans to retake his starting QB position.
Watching 2 successful players departing at the same time just seems to have a strange feel.

Thoughts?

Cronk was asked to move to guard. I don't think any Indiana fan wanted to lose him, but their staff really likes what they have at OT. Cronk wanted to play OT. That's about all there is to it.

Reactions: ichawk24
Not that Indiana Football matters, and I certainly don't want to give anyone the impression I care much, but just curious what others know or think is going on there.

With their OL captain and QB departing, is their roster improving or is there dissention?

Some on their board seem to think Coy Cronk isn't good enough to play next year. Penix was injured so certainly he plans to retake his starting QB position.
Watching 2 successful players departing at the same time just seems to have a strange feel.

Thoughts?
Indiana will be better next year then this past year. They were one of the youngest teams in the big ten last year across the board. I think IU and Purdue both are top 6 in the country in returning production.

Reactions: Herkmeister
Purdue played really well against Iowa without Moore on the field. They could be scary offensively next season.
As far as Indiana goes, they seem to be a decent team every year but just can't finish out games. They have talent to upset teams and play to the level of their opponent but come up short. They did pretty well in the east but with MSU, Maryland, Rutgers and Purdue not playing well, it helped. Plus they got Nebraska on their schedule.

I don’t think Ramsey was going to be their starting QB this year he lost the job and got it back because the RS freshman QB got injured.

full-metal-jacket.gif

He's gonna have a stroke. Lol
That is just awful. There is no way in hell I could listen to somebody like that. Those players didn’t seem to worked up either.

This is why I wondered if some kids were leaving. How much of that can a person take?

Reactions: LGEND24
Tom Allen led IU last year to its most wins since 1993 and returns the vast majority of the team's production for next year.

He has materially upgraded IU's recruiting the last 3 years and received a commitment yesterday from an in state 2021 DE named Rodney McGraw who had offers already from Michigan, PSU and MSU. When you're losing guys like Cronk and Ramsey because there are better, younger guys at their spots, that's a sign of how far IU has come under Allen.

As an IU fan, I'm thrilled to have the guy.

That is just awful. There is no way in hell I could listen to somebody like that. Those players didn’t seem to worked up either.

This is why I wondered if some kids were leaving. How much of that can a person take?

Yep, a couple weak hearted "Whoo Hoo"s and walk out. That did not look like a team that was excited to be there.

Tom Allen led IU last year to its most wins since 1993 and returns the vast majority of the team's production for next year.

He has materially upgraded IU's recruiting the last 3 years and received a commitment yesterday from an in state 2021 DE named Rodney McGraw who had offers already from Michigan, PSU and MSU. When you're losing guys like Cronk and Ramsey because there are better, younger guys at their spots, that's a sign of how far IU has come under Allen.

Maybe, but lets not act like the Hoosiers have risen to a point where losing quality players who could certainly be starters if needed because of injury, and your OK with it. Losing Ramsey, if Penix is injured again will be a blow, and certainly losing a three year starter, and captain on the OL can't be considered "a good thing". Lets see Indiana win the east or at least make a real run at it for a few years before we start acting like your "plug and play" all of a sudden.....

Maybe, but lets not act like the Hoosiers have risen to a point where losing quality players who could certainly be starters if needed because of injury, and your OK with it. Losing Ramsey, if Penix is injured again will be a blow, and certainly losing a three year starter, and captain on the OL can't be considered "a good thing". Lets see Indiana win the east or at least make a real run at it for a few years before we start acting like your "plug and play" all of a sudden.....

There is no question that IU would be better next year with Cronk and Ramsey than they will be without them. Cronk would have started at left guard and as you note, if Penix is hurt again, the ability to turn to Ramsey would be huge. I am definitely not suggesting otherwise.

The general point however remains. IU's depth is light years ahead of where it's been in prior years. Even if Penix gets hurt, IU has a talented back up available in Jack Tuttle who was a 4 star coming out of high school. A few years back, Nate Sudfeld was hurt in the game at Iowa and IU simply had no back up option that could step in and keep IU competitive. Thankfully, that's no longer the case.

There is no question that IU would be better next year with Cronk and Ramsey than they will be without them. Cronk would have started at left guard and as you note, if Penix is hurt again, the ability to turn to Ramsey would be huge. I am definitely not suggesting otherwise.

The general point however remains. IU's depth is light years ahead of where it's been in prior years. Even if Penix gets hurt, IU has a talented back up available in Jack Tuttle who was a 4 star coming out of high school. A few years back, Nate Sudfeld was hurt in the game at Iowa and IU simply had no back up option that could step in and keep IU competitive. Thankfully, that's no longer the case.
I agree with the guy above. IU lost there best asset in offense in Deboer. Very interested to see if they can come close to replicating their offensive production.

Also wouldn't tout up Tuttle. He's done nothing to prove he should have been a 4 star and hasn't looked great in limited action. He might prove me wrong, but he's only ever been a 3rd string QB.

Cronk was asked to move to guard. I don't think any Indiana fan wanted to lose him, but their staff really likes what they have at OT. Cronk wanted to play OT. That's about all there is to it.
With the ‘Zone Blocking’ scheme added to his NFL resume...even if at guard at Iowa it’s an improvement.

Last edited:

Cool. Hopefully you'll beat a team with a record of .500 or better some day.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Well, if our staff prefers Kallenberger at OT, what then? Can’t believe that would be what makes a kid transfer.

You guys should be happy with your progress. But also realistic enough to realize your best 2 wins were probably PU and braska.....

We'll see who ends up being better....I have no idea.
I do know, like us, you should NOT be happy about losing depth. You guys aren't quite OSU ;)

Thoughts?
Who cares? Has nothing to do with Iowa FB. Did Mansell and T. Young departing have a strange feeling?

His general tone and mannerisms in that video lead me to believe that he’s somewhat cross.

Don't listen to him, Hawks are usually eliminated from West by early November but that doesn't mean there aren't good things going on. My buddy is a big IU guy so I follow them, plenty to be excited about coming off a great season for the program....even with the departures. There simply wouldn't be as much chest thumping around here if we had IU's conference schedule every year. Good luck in 20

Reactions: BTBall
Cool. Hopefully you'll beat a team with a record of .500 or better some day.

When you've had one winning season in 25 years, and then you break through and win 8, trust me when I tell you that you don't care one bit that the teams your school beat had sub.500 records. That kind of jab might work with Nebraska fans or Wisconsin fans, but you're trash talking about a program that hasn't won a bowl game since 1991.

Last edited:
When you've had one winning season in 25 years, and then you break through and win 8, trust me when I tell you that you don't care one bit that the teams your school beat had sub.500 records. That kind of jab might work with Nebraska fans or Wisconsin fans, but you're trash talking about a program that hasn't won a bowl game since 1991.

Cool. Can't wait to watch your reloaded roster in action this fall.

Purdue played really well against Iowa without Moore on the field. They could be scary offensively next season.
As far as Indiana goes, they seem to be a decent team every year but just can't finish out games. They have talent to upset teams and play to the level of their opponent but come up short. They did pretty well in the east but with MSU, Maryland, Rutgers and Purdue not playing well, it helped. Plus they got Nebraska on their schedule.

David Bell was unstoppable.

David Bell was unstoppable.
Really interested in seeing the Purdue receiving core next year. All were freshman last year besides Moore and Anthrop. They are adding a 6'5 top 150 recruit at WR and another 4 star WR. Position is stacked at Purdue.

Really interested in seeing the Purdue receiving core next year. All were freshman last year besides Moore and Anthrop. They are adding a 6'5 top 150 recruit at WR and another 4 star WR. Position is stacked at Purdue.
Yeah, they get a pass from all the injuries last year. If they can field a decent QB, their offense may be scary.

Yeah, they get a pass from all the injuries last year. If they can field a decent QB, their offense may be scary.
I'm not to worried about the QB. Both O'Connell and Plummer showed some things as a walk-on sophmore and freshman. I wouldn't be sad if Brohm called Ramsey from iu though. I think the oline will be a lot better considering it won't be starting 3 underclassman, but I'd love to have a mobile guy with his leadership.

That was frustrating when Iowa put various people and coverages on him and he was getting open and catching balls that were tough catches. Definite talent.

That was frustrating when Iowa put various people and coverages on him and he was getting open and catching balls that were tough catches. Definite talent.
Once David Bell got healthy, he was really good. His goal in the off-season was to get faster. If he does, he could be really good. I'll be curious to see how defenses try to stop both Rondale and Bell. Rondale pretty much demands a double team imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT