ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries

Tcalumet

HR MVP
Jun 29, 2016
Just watched Flo interview with Brian Smith mizzou coach. Interesting that he talked about mocco’s injury. Ankle sprain. Talked about the progress and timeframe to return without being so cryptic like many other coaches. As a fan that’s refreshing. Many sports give injury reports pregame. Heck, the nfl gives details thorough enough to make a decision on whether you start a guy in your fantasy football league for the week. Thoughts?

With HIPPA laws, coaches can’t speak about injuries without the athlete’s permission.

Reactions: savage84
The Department of Health and Human Services can only enforce HIPAA-related penalties against “covered entities” as they are defined by the regulations. The regulations define covered entities as healthcare providers, health plans and healthcare clearinghouses who engage in any number of electronic transactions. A healthcare provider under HIPAA is a person or company that furnishes, bills or is paid for health care. This definition is fairly broad and encompasses not only hospitals and physicians, but also includes chiropractors, dentists, optometrists, hospitals, schools, nonprofit organizations that provide some healthcare services, and even government agencies. However, the true scope of parties that are affected by HIPAA does not end there.

A number of employers have also found that they are covered entities under HIPAA because of their activities running a group health plan for their employees. Typically, these employers are electing to be treated as “hybrid entities” to limit the effect of HIPAA’s restrictions to the specific section of their organization that runs the health plan. However, even as a hybrid entity, these employers must undergo all of the typical HIPAA preparation activities, and this can be an expensive proposition.

Finally, there are many companies or individuals that provide services to covered entities that require the use of protected health information. These companies or individuals are called business associates. While they are not liable for penalties under HIPAA, they will find that many business contracts will have to be renegotiated and business practices changed to reflect the privacy requirements.

Does an athlete’s university/college provide health care coverage for injuries which they sustain while participating in their sport? If not, I can’t imagine the medical bills some of these athletes and their families rack up.

It seems to me like wrestling has never been very open about injury reports always either avoiding mentioning an injury altogether or only providing the least amount of information possible. Thinking about this on the first day of work of the year I have come up with a theory. Almost all leaders of the big time wrestling programs today were coached or mentored by guys that wrestled on the international circuit in the 60's 70's 80's and early 90's. I think that time I think 3 of the big 4 wrestling powers were the US, the Soviets, and the Iranians. At that time the US and the Soviets were engaged in the cold war. I think in some respects wrestling was seen as a battle field in that cold war especially on the Soviet side. Think of it as a gladiator competition where we sent our best and they sent their best to engage in physical combat. Against that back drop guys were pretty desperate. There were rumors that Soviet guys that lost to US guys were sent to gulags. If that were the case you can be sure that knowledge of injuries was probably an advantage to be exploited and in some small way knowledge of said injuries were kept almost as state secrets. Lose lips sink ships if you will. That kind of mentality does not go away quickly and gets passed down. I remember in a book I read about Gable that he would tape up and favor his good knee in an attempt to get guys to go after that instead of his bad knee. I could be full of crap here but it's a thought I had.

Does an athlete’s university/college provide health care coverage for injuries which they sustain while participating in their sport? If not, I can’t imagine the medical bills some of these athletes and their families rack up.
When I was injured it went through my family’s insurance and then the NCAA picked up the rest.

But it took them forever… I started getting collections letters before they finally paid.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I don’t know how it is today but back in the late 90’s, my little D3 school covered all doctor bills for football injuries.

Can't tell you how it works today but in the late 80's early 90's, I had more injuries off the mat than on the mat and everything was covered. Everything was billed through my parents insurance and all out of pocket expense was paid for by the university. Same with dental work. You were sent every 6 months to the team dentist. Had my wisdom teeth pulled and it did not cost my parents a dime. Anything you ever injured in college is x-rayed and retained by the university at graduation. Any reoccurrence of the injury was covered for a period of time post graduation. I can't remember what the duration was. One or two years maybe.

Can't tell you how it works today but in the late 80's early 90's, I had more injuries off the mat than on the mat and everything was covered. Everything was billed through my parents insurance and all out of pocket expense was paid for by the university. Same with dental work. You were sent every 6 months to the team dentist. Had my wisdom teeth pulled and it did not cost my parents a dime. Anything you ever injured in college is x-rayed and retained by the university at graduation. Any reoccurrence of the injury was covered for a period of time post graduation. I can't remember what the duration was. One or two years maybe.
Same for me, ran through my parent's insurance and anything insurance didn't cover, the university did.
I don't remember the dental part tough.

I never understood why some fans feel entitled to know the details about an athlete’s health.
Shamelessly looking for competitive advantage and/or money? Just guessing.
Or maybe it's just magical thinking. :)

Injuries are part of athletics and each athlete with each individual injury are different. I laugh when people post BS about injuries, how they happen, how long till they are 100%, why do they not tell us about the injured athletes?
LMFAO, obviously most of those who are inquiring never competed in wrestling ( never mind any other sport) at a high level with or without an injury!

I never understood why some fans feel entitled to know the details about an athlete’s health.
Sports are entertainment - fans show interest not entitlement. Knowing that the 74 pounder at mizzou is out for a couple more weeks due to an ankle sprain would cause a mizzou fan to see who may be in that spot and so on… many examples.

Injuries are part of athletics and each athlete with each individual injury are different. I laugh when people post BS about injuries, how they happen, how long till they are 100%, why do they not tell us about the injured athletes?
LMFAO, obviously most of those who are inquiring never competed in wrestling ( never mind any other sport) at a high level with or without an injury!
Most everyone on this forum has competed in wrestling and have many friends that are wrestlers as it’s a small community. I don’t agree. I know plenty of people who have competed that are fans of the sport and don’t fixate on injuries but would have interest. Sure there some that aren’t interested as you mentioned but that’s a blanket statement.

It would appear that the rules for HIPAA (health care information) and FERPA (student educational information) is not always clear cut. It wouldn't be a surprise if athletes, especially those on scholarship were asked or required to give authorization for release of medical information as part of the paper work for the scholarship( like in most professional athletic contracts)
If the releases are signed, then the team can give out healthcare information. Without the signed release it is not always clearcut. Obviously, an injury that occurs in public (broken leg that is clear on the field of play) will be in the public domain.
Individual schools also may choose to adopt policies that prevent disclosure of medical information on their athletes even if HIPAA or FERPA do apply.
Most of the discussion of the health care of athletes is primarily an issue as it applies to gambling, so as to prevent manipulation of the odds, or provide insider information to a small group of people. If there wasn't gambling, why would the information matter?

Reactions: savage84
Most everyone on this forum has competed in wrestling and have many friends that are wrestlers as it’s a small community. I don’t agree. I know plenty of people who have competed that are fans of the sport and don’t fixate on injuries but would have interest. Sure there some that aren’t interested as you mentioned but that’s a blanket statement.
exactly, if you have been through it then you are not fixated on the injuries. Most with experience can see a wrestler like Schriever for example; he had his elbow heavily wrapped for most of the season last year, We see this and understand there is a serious injury there. Drake, full shoulder harness- serious injury, Lee Heavy knee wrap- well he tore another one. These guys did not just have a light sleeve, a knee pad or some kinetic tape. We knew these were serious, we also know our coaches were not announcing to anyone but our parents the extent of our injuries.

I remember in a book I read about Gable that he would tape up and favor his good knee in an attempt to get guys to go after that instead of his bad knee. I could be full of crap here but it's a thought I had.
I remember it as the Russian attacking the bad knee, leaving him the advantage of having the good leg to counter with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT