ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting line movement Iowa@Iowa State

If Iowa is going to be taken seriously as a CFP darkhorse, it needs to win this game and convincingly. It's got the defense and the special teams to win games, but the offense still has lots of question marks. Iowa thankfully didn't need to do much against Indiana, but there's no guarantees that Iowa will be gifted with another Pick 6 this Saturday. The best we can realistically expect is to consistently give ISU long fields (70+ yards) and use our defense to give us shorter fields to make it easier for our offense. My guess is that ISU's game plan is to load the box and dare Petras to beat them. We're damn lucky to have TG, but he can't carry the offense by himself. He's at his best when the passing game is having at least moderate success.

ISU is favored because 1) it's at Ames, 2) it's at Ames, 3) it's the 'sexier' team (not to be confused with better) and 4) it's at Ames. I have no doubt that both teams are psyched up for this matchup, and they very well could be the best team either face all year (not counting conference championships or the postseason). ISU likely won't see a defense as good as Iowa's, perhaps even in the postseason (unless they draw Georgia in a NY6 bowl or something). ISU has an offense better than any in the B1G West, but that's not saying much because most of them range from average to hot garbage.

Regardless of what the outcome is, I think people are going to pay a lot more attention to the state of Iowa this season. Both teams have the goods to at least make their conference championship games. Both OU and OSU seem to have some exploitable flaws that ISU and Iowa can take advantage of, respectively. And both teams have overcome early losses to string together an impressive conference run. It has the makings and the feel of a huge Rivalry Week showdown, but if there is a silver lining for losing early, is that there's plenty of time to recover and let other teams fall.

If Iowa is going to be taken seriously as a CFP darkhorse, it needs to win this game and convincingly. It's got the defense and the special teams to win games, but the offense still has lots of question marks. Iowa thankfully didn't need to do much against Indiana, but there's no guarantees that Iowa will be gifted with another Pick 6 this Saturday. The best we can realistically expect is to consistently give ISU long fields (70+ yards) and use our defense to give us shorter fields to make it easier for our offense. My guess is that ISU's game plan is to load the box and dare Petras to beat them. We're damn lucky to have TG, but he can't carry the offense by himself. He's at his best when the passing game is having at least moderate success.

ISU is favored because 1) it's at Ames, 2) it's at Ames, 3) it's the 'sexier' team (not to be confused with better) and 4) it's at Ames. I have no doubt that both teams are psyched up for this matchup, and they very well could be the best team either face all year (not counting conference championships or the postseason). ISU likely won't see a defense as good as Iowa's, perhaps even in the postseason (unless they draw Georgia in a NY6 bowl or something). ISU has an offense better than any in the B1G West, but that's not saying much because most of them range from average to hot garbage.

Regardless of what the outcome is, I think people are going to pay a lot more attention to the state of Iowa this season. Both teams have the goods to at least make their conference championship games. Both OU and OSU seem to have some exploitable flaws that ISU and Iowa can take advantage of, respectively. And both teams have overcome early losses to string together an impressive conference run. It has the makings and the feel of a huge Rivalry Week showdown, but if there is a silver lining for losing early, is that there's plenty of time to recover and let other teams fall.
Yeah, fully disagree on the CFP darkhorse scenario. If iowa were to go undefeated and beat Ohio State in the BIG, there is zero chance they don't make the CFP. It wouldn't matter if they won this game in quadruple overtime.

There is a reason the line is moving more to Iowa State’s favor. The sharps know what they are doing most of the time. Still hoping for a Hawk victory, but as least I’ll make some money if they lose.

Yeah, fully disagree on the CFP darkhorse scenario. If iowa were to go undefeated and beat Ohio State in the BIG, there is zero chance they don't make the CFP. It wouldn't matter if they won this game in quadruple overtime.
While true neither Iowa or isu are CFP worthy teams. If either does go undefeated and get matched up with Bama it will be a blood bath.

There is a reason the line is moving more to Iowa State’s favor. The sharps know what they are doing most of the time. Still hoping for a Hawk victory, but as least I’ll make some money if they lose.
I don’t think that’s how it works

I don’t think that’s how it works
It most certainly is, for the most part. While it is true the goal it to get a fairly even amount of bets on both sides (hence changes in the line) , the fact remains Iowa State is favored by the sports books to win the game.

Yeah, style points are unnecessary. If we win all our games by one point, we're in the CFP.

Reactions: Hawk fan in Minn
Correct. Winning against a Top 10 team on the road by 1 would be fine. Only way Iowa is making it into a 4-team playoff is going undefeated. Winning by 3 TD's against Iowa State would be perfectly fine with me, but no way a Big 10 team is being left out if they go undefeated.

While true neither Iowa or isu are CFP worthy teams. If either does go undefeated and get matched up with Bama it will be a blood bath.
Couldn't you say this about pretty much any team in America? There is Alabama and then everyone else. If Iowa were to to undefeated, they are a CFP worthy team. Period.

Reactions: ichawk24
But ISU has the most “super duper” seniors.

cb294b7a16bfb826c10a7415d346f202.jpg

I have a daughter at Bama and head to Tuscaloosa for a game each year. They're like an NFL team, a well oiled machine.
I don’t believe you. Don’t have time to make it down to Alabama, so I’ve never seen them play. Heard they’re good.

I have a daughter at Bama and head to Tuscaloosa for a game each year. They're like an NFL team, a well oiled machine.
Obligatory request for pic of daughter.
Sorry, but she is in college now, so...
Lol. Man, I feel dirty for even saying that.
This board has soiled me!

Reactions: BBHawk
I don't bet very often. Only when I am absolutely certain. Maybe I've just been lucky.
I don't put much stock in first games.
I guess your streak of perfection has ended. So much for absolute certainty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT