ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa’s RPI

The entire Big Ten will be doing well if we can perform well in the ACC challenge. That would set us up for 8 league teams in the tourney.

The entire Big Ten will be doing well if we can perform well in the ACC challenge. That would set us up for 8 league teams in the tourney.

Big Ten has been very good so far. Number of teams with good wins (or wins over Power conference teams) so far:
Iowa - win 2 games in NY
Indiana - housed Marquette
Michigan - routed Villanova
Minnesota - beat Utah
Nebraska - routed Seton Hall
Ohio State - won at Cincy and at Creighton
Purdue - plays Va Tech today, have routed Davidson already
Wisconsin - won at Xavier

RPI, like Sagarin, is a joke early in the year.
Yeah, but it’s still an pretty good indicator, and like a batting average, gets tighter and tighter every week. I’ve always liked it better than subjective polls.

I used to use it a lot in NFL weekly confidence pools, and had pretty good success with it.

The ratings will get tighter quickly for Iowa. We play an undefeated Pitt(they may have a loss, as they play St Louis who's good, on the road), Wisky and MSU within two weeks. What a tough stretch of games...

That's 5 teams in the top 100 in 2 weeks. With ISU & UNI to follow. I would love to split those B1G games. One thing is for sure, we are battle tested and ready!

Fix that shooting percentage, and we dangerous. Haven't been able to say that in a long time...

Yeah, but it’s still an pretty good indicator, and like a batting average, gets tighter and tighter every week. I’ve always liked it better than subjective polls.

I used to use it a lot in NFL weekly confidence pools, and had pretty good success with it.

That’s probably true as well but it’s certainly more relevant later in the year. I mean, come one, look at the teams in the current top 50.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

I agree that computers tend to be less biased than their human counterpart.

But as we were told in another thread, us fans are not allowed to judge other teams unless have first hand knowledge of the other teams. You have to have sat through their summer workouts, name at least seven players from each team, know their class schedule, and what they want to do for employment if professional basketball doesn’t work out. Until you have all that, we have to take the computer rankings as gospel.

Funny how those posters have been quiet since Thursday afternoon though.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/sagarin-oof.251129/

I agree that computers tend to be less biased than their human counterpart.

But as we were told in another thread, us fans are not allowed to judge other teams unless have first hand knowledge of the other teams. You have to have sat through their summer workouts, name at least seven players from each team, know their class schedule, and what they want to do for employment if professional basketball doesn’t work out. Until you have all that, we have to take the computer rankings as gospel.

Funny how those posters have quiet since Thursday afternoon though.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/sagarin-oof.251129/

Truth. Kenpom is really the gold standard when it comes to CBB ratings. Massey Composite is a nice tool as well as it provides a balanced look at things but it’s only updated weekly. Sagarin and RPI are too volatile when dealing with limited data points.

Big Ten has been very good so far. Number of teams with good wins (or wins over Power conference teams) so far:
Iowa - win 2 games in NY
Minnesota - beat Utah

Although it's said every year around selection time that it doesn't matter, I think it has to have some effect coming down to those last few bids in deciding between P5 teams when one conference was decidedly better across the board than another. So far this season the B1G is looking solid on that front from multiple teams performances.

Although it's said every year around selection time that it doesn't matter, I think it has to have some effect coming down to those last few bids in deciding between P5 teams when one conference was decidedly better across the board than another. So far this season the B1G is looking solid on that front from multiple teams performances.

The B1G off to a tremendous start. Look at the current records of conferences of note:

AAC 29-11
A10 30-20
ACC 45-6
Big 12 26-4
Big East 25-9
B1G 40-4
Mountain West 21-12
PAC 12 27-7
SEC 32-11

That ACC/B1G challenge is going to be a barn burner:

BC VS Minnesota game is at BC Minnesota will be a slight favorite. My pick Minnesota

Clemson VS Nebraska Clemson will be favored by 5-6 in this one. Giving the edge to the home team. My pick Clemson

Duke VS Indiana Duke will be the clear cut favorite in this game and are playing at a high level. Indiana off to a great start this year but Duke proves to be too much at home. My pick Duke

Louisville VS Michigan St MSU will be favored on the road in this matchup. Louisville is a middle of the pack ACC team this year while MSU figures to compete for the B1G title. My pick MSU

Wisconsin VS NC State A very intriguing matchup as I think the Wolfpack could be a surprise team in the ACC. Wisconsin will bounce back strong this year and earn a tourney bid. Giving edge to Wisconsin as the Kohl center is a house of horrors for opposing teams. My pick Wisconsin

Notre Dame VS Illinois a matchup of teams expected to finish near the bottom of their respective conferences. This game is truly a toss up. Giving the edge to the home team. My pick Notre Dame

Iowa VS Pitt Iowa has started the year strong. Pitt is undefeated thus far, although I think that changes vs St. Louis. Iowa will dominate in the paint and win convincingly. My pick Iowa

Penn St VS Virginia Tech A ranked Va Tech team visits a sneaky tough Penn St team. I really think Penn St is going to surprise some teams at home this year but it’s going to be later in the year during B1G play. Vegas will set this line as pick em or Va Tech as a small favorite. My pick Va Tech

Florida St VS Purdue This is one of the better matchups of the challenge. A true toss up game between teams that will be tourney teams with good seeds. This will also be a battle of contrasting styles FSU wants to push the pace while Purdue is more deliberate. Purdue is another team that will improve as their pieces come together while FSU is more polished at this point. My pick FSU

Northwestern VS Georgia Tech Both teams picked near the bottom of their respective conferences. NW loses a ton off last year’s roster and Ga Tech is really young as well. Going with the home team here as NW should be a 6-7 point favorite. My pick NW

Miami VS Rutgers This is the biggest mismatch of the challenge. Not much to talk about here. My pick Miami

Michigan VS NC Vegas will set this line around a pick em. Michigan had a dominating win against top 10 Villanova, who just lost to a decent Furman team so maybe Villanova isn’t quite as good as we thought, at least not at this point. NC, like most years, restocks and reloads. This will be another game of contrasting styles. It looks like Michigan’s defense is elite this year and their pace of play is very methodical while NC’s offense is elite and they will push the ball at every opportunity. Flip of the coin for me but....My pick NC

Ohio St VS Syracuse Syracuse has struggled to open up the year but keep in mind that they did play two really good teams. On the flip side OSU has nice wins against Creighton and Cincinnati. This is going to be a defensive battle. My spidey senses tell me that Syracuse bounces back in this one. My pick Syracuse

Maryland VS Virginia Virginia is an elite defensive team, duh right? Maryland is a rather young team that will struggle early on against the better teams. Virginia should be a pretty good sized favorite on the road. My pick Virginia

I have it 9-5 ACC but I gave the majority of the toss up games to the ACC. Truly this could end up 9-5/8-6/7-7 with either conference winning the challenge.

The B1G off to a tremendous start. Look at the current records of conferences of note:

AAC 29-11
A10 30-20
ACC 45-6
Big 12 26-4
Big East 25-9
B1G 40-4
Mountain West 21-12
PAC 12 27-7
SEC 32-11

That ACC/B1G challenge is going to be a barn burner:

BC VS Minnesota game is at BC Minnesota will be a slight favorite. My pick Minnesota

Clemson VS Nebraska Clemson will be favored by 5-6 in this one. Giving the edge to the home team. My pick Clemson

Duke VS Indiana Duke will be the clear cut favorite in this game and are playing at a high level. Indiana off to a great start this year but Duke proves to be too much at home. My pick Duke

Louisville VS Michigan St MSU will be favored on the road in this matchup. Louisville is a middle of the pack ACC team this year while MSU figures to compete for the B1G title. My pick MSU

Wisconsin VS NC State A very intriguing matchup as I think the Wolfpack could be a surprise team in the ACC. Wisconsin will bounce back strong this year and earn a tourney bid. Giving edge to Wisconsin as the Kohl center is a house of horrors for opposing teams. My pick Wisconsin

Notre Dame VS Illinois a matchup of teams expected to finish near the bottom of their respective conferences. This game is truly a toss up. Giving the edge to the home team. My pick Notre Dame

Iowa VS Pitt Iowa has started the year strong. Pitt is undefeated thus far, although I think that changes vs St. Louis. Iowa will dominate in the paint and win convincingly. My pick Iowa

Penn St VS Virginia Tech A ranked Va Tech team visits a sneaky tough Penn St team. I really think Penn St is going to surprise some teams at home this year but it’s going to be later in the year during B1G play. Vegas will set this line as pick em or Va Tech as a small favorite. My pick Va Tech

Florida St VS Purdue This is one of the better matchups of the challenge. A true toss up game between teams that will be tourney teams with good seeds. This will also be a battle of contrasting styles FSU wants to push the pace while Purdue is more deliberate. Purdue is another team that will improve as their pieces come together while FSU is more polished at this point. My pick FSU

Northwestern VS Georgia Tech Both teams picked near the bottom of their respective conferences. NW loses a ton off last year’s roster and Ga Tech is really young as well. Going with the home team here as NW should be a 6-7 point favorite. My pick NW

Miami VS Rutgers This is the biggest mismatch of the challenge. Not much to talk about here. My pick Miami

Michigan VS NC Vegas will set this line around a pick em. Michigan had a dominating win against top 10 Villanova, who just lost to a decent Furman team so maybe Villanova isn’t quite as good as we thought, at least not at this point. NC, like most years, restocks and reloads. This will be another game of contrasting styles. It looks like Michigan’s defense is elite this year and their pace of play is very methodical while NC’s offense is elite and they will push the ball at every opportunity. Flip of the coin for me but....My pick NC

Ohio St VS Syracuse Syracuse has struggled to open up the year but keep in mind that they did play two really good teams. On the flip side OSU has nice wins against Creighton and Cincinnati. This is going to be a defensive battle. My spidey senses tell me that Syracuse bounces back in this one. My pick Syracuse

Maryland VS Virginia Virginia is an elite defensive team, duh right? Maryland is a rather young team that will struggle early on against the better teams. Virginia should be a pretty good sized favorite on the road. My pick Virginia

I have it 9-5 ACC but I gave the majority of the toss up games to the ACC. Truly this could end up 9-5/8-6/7-7 with either conference winning the challenge.

That deserves its own thread. Thanks for posting

Iowa - win 2 games in NY
Minnesota - beat Utah

Some of these wins are already starting to lose their luster, unfortunately.

Villanova lost to Furman and is now 2-2.
Seton Hall lost to St. Louis and is now 1-2.

But also some opportunity for the value of the wins to build up:
Xavier is headed to Maui so would be nice if they could win some games there to make that win look even better.
Oregon doesn't have a ranked opponent until 1/10/2018 so they should continue to build up wins to help the Iowa victory look even better.
Marquette has Kansas Wednesday night and that would be a GREAT addition to the Big Ten's resume if they could win.

Xavier is headed to Maui so would be nice if they could win some games there to make that win look even better.
Oregon doesn't have a ranked opponent until 1/10/2018 so they should continue to build up wins to help the Iowa victory look even better.
Marquette has Kansas Wednesday night and that would be a GREAT addition to the Big Ten's resume if they could win.

For sure. Villanova (at least right now) does not appear to be anything close to what they have been. But given Jay Wright's track record they will likely improve a lot. Still way too early of course to say how good/bad any of these wins are, but in general beating other power conference teams is good. Oregon should win lots of games, so that win could end up being Iowa's best non-con win.

For sure. Villanova (at least right now) does not appear to be anything close to what they have been. But given Jay Wright's track record they will likely improve a lot. Still way too early of course to say how good/bad any of these wins are, but in general beating other power conference teams is good. Oregon should win lots of games, so that win could end up being Iowa's best non-con win.

I would aslo add a team like UCONN has a mediocre KenPom (in the 90's?) but they beat Top 25 Syracuse and do look to have a lot of talent, I could see them racking up some wins in 2nd half of season.

Last edited:

But what about Nunge? Are we saving him for down the stretch since he can't redshirt?

But what about Nunge? Are we saving him for down the stretch since he can't redshirt?

As I understand it Iowa is going to appeal to not have him miss any time next season, but are prepared for him to miss some games since he played in the exhibition game. Dukan from Wisconsin had to sit out 4 games so they are hoping that is the worst case scenario.

As I understand it Iowa is going to appeal to not have him miss any time next season, but are prepared for him to miss some games since he played in the exhibition game. Dukan from Wisconsin had to sit out 4 games so they are hoping that is the worst case scenario.

Thank you for the informed reply. I was just being a dick about your previous post. ;)

Reactions: unclesammy

STL and Furman might both be decent teams. That said, it does appear that Villanova is struggling or just not that good. Any non-con P5 win though...it’s not a P5 loss.
The B1G playing well is just gravy on Iowa’s Yukon Gold start.

I would aslo add a team like UCONN has a mediocre KenPom (in the 90's?) but they beat Top 25 Syracuse and do look to have a lot of talent, I could see them racking up some wins in 2nd half of season.

Early on, KenPom is weighted with pre-season rankings. As more games are played, the data from actual games replaces the pre-season ratings. UConn has some serious gaps in its roster, they were small. Oregon will end up being a very nice win, more than likely.

Reactions: CO_hawk
Early on, KenPom is weighted with pre-season rankings. As more games are played, the data from actual games replaces the pre-season ratings. UConn has some serious gaps in its roster, they were small. Oregon will end up being a very nice win, more than likely.
Plus a win over Iowa State... Will be looking good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT