ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing Iowa’s rotation to the top two teams in the Big Ten…

RagnarLothbrok

HR All-American
Apr 4, 2023
I think most, if not all, will agree this is a major down year for the Big Ten. So, comparing Iowa’s rotation to the only two Big Ten teams in the Top 25 (Purdue and Illinois), whom do you see on Iowa’s regular or somewhat regular rotation who could start or log 10+ minutes for either Purdue or Illinois?

I’ll go first.

Start:

No Way Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Log 10+ minutes:

Freeman: Possibly
Krikke: No
PMac: Lol
Dix: Slim chance
Perkins: Slim chance
Payton: Possibly
Dembele: No
Bowen: No
Brauns: No
Harding: No
Pryce: No

Did I miss anyone?

That means I got 4/11 who have been in Iowa’s rotation with just a chance to log 10+ minutes. A chance.

7/11 guys wouldn’t have a prayer.

Yikes.

I think most, if not all, will agree this is a major down year for the Big Ten. So, comparing Iowa’s rotation to the only two Big Ten teams in the Top 25 (Purdue and Illinois), whom do you see on Iowa’s regular or somewhat regular rotation who could start or log 10+ minutes for either Purdue or Illinois?

I’ll go first.

Start:

Log 10+ minutes:

Did I miss anyone?

That means I got 4/11 who have been in Iowa’s rotation with just a chance to log 10+ minutes. A chance.

Yikes.
I’ll play your silly little game.

Freeman is going to be the big 10 freshman of the year and you think it’s possible he would play more than 10 minutes a game for either team. lol

I agree krikke and pmac would be a no.

Dix I could see getting around 10+ minutes with both teams. He’s a great shooter and has really been coming along the second half of this season.

Perkins would, he’s been playing pretty good all season. He had a rough night last night but he’s easily good enough to play 10+ minutes on either team.

Payton just had Iowa’s first ever triple double. I for sure think he would play a lot at Purdue. He would be getting tons of open looks outside and his lack of defense wouldn’t be as big of an issue with edey inside. I think he’d get 10+ at Illinois as well.

So only 2 of these guys that play a bunch at Iowa wouldn’t play at Purdue and Illinois.
Thankfully both are gone after this year.

10 minutes a game isn’t that many minutes plus Iowa isn’t a terrible team.
If you think all these guys suck so badly, then Fran must be doing a hell of a job coaching.

I’ll play your silly little game.

Freeman is going to be the big 10 freshman of the year and you think it’s possible he would play more than 10 minutes a game for either team. lol

I agree krikke and pmac would be a no.

Dix I could see getting around 10+ minutes with both teams. He’s a great shooter and has really been coming along the second half of this season.

Perkins would, he’s been playing pretty good all season. He had a rough night last night but he’s easily good enough to play 10+ minutes on either team.

Payton just had Iowa’s first ever triple double. I for sure think he would play a lot at Purdue. He would be getting tons of open looks outside and his lack of defense wouldn’t be as big of an issue with edey inside. I think he’d get 10+ at Illinois as well.

So only 2 of these guys that play a bunch at Iowa wouldn’t play at Purdue and Illinois.
Thankfully both are gone after this year.

10 minutes a game isn’t that many minutes plus Iowa isn’t a terrible team.
If you think all these guys suck so badly, then Fran must be doing a hell of a job coaching.
Freeman was given an opportunity out of necessity I don’t believe he would have gotten at Purdue or Illinois. I agree he’s already a good player who will be a star in this league as a sophomore and upperclassman.

Payton could definitely be a good role player. It just depends on a lot of factors for how many minutes off the bench he’d get.

Yeah, Perkins is still a maybe for me.

Yes, Fran does a phenomenal job of coaching offense with mostly mediocre P5 talent. With a down year in the Big Ten to help the W/L column, the results are as expected: NIT.

I’ll go first.

Start:

Log 10+ minutes:

Did I miss anyone?

Yikes.
If you don't think Dix would play for just about anyone you have no clue what you're talking about.

He's much better than Rodgers who starts for Illinois and easily better than all 3 of Purdues starting guards. Purdues starting guards are middle of the pack at best.

44% 3pt shooter, lock down defender, can finish at the rim, and 56% from the field this year. That's outstanding.

I can’t stress enough how awful of a take this is.

If you don't think Dix would play for just about anyone you have no clue what you're talking about.

He's much better than Rodgers who starts for Illinois and easily better than all 3 of Purdues starting guards. Purdues starting guards are middle of the pack at best.

44% 3pt shooter, lock down defender, can finish at the rim, and 56% from the field this year. That's outstanding.

He doesn’t….its just how you roll right @RagnarLothbrok….

I do appreciate someone else wise enough to see how thinly supported he’s dumbass take was…..

Chad

I agree Dix has been better than expected. You probably have a point with him.

He doesn’t….its just how you roll right @RagnarLothbrok….

I do appreciate someone else wise enough to see how thinly supported he’s dumbass take was…..

Chad
As much as you use the term dumbass, I think you might be projecting a little, Chad.

Other than nitpicking here or there, no one has really disproved my OP as far as the discrepancy in talent across the board is concerned. Of course, the overly simplistic view (which you true to form always take) is to create a straw man by stating the OP should be interpreted to mean every Iowa player sucks. You do you, Chad.

Iowa's talent is pretty good individually. The problem Iowa has is lack of athleticism/strength at guard and the Krikke/PMAC combination is really well below average when you factor in defense/rebounding.

Dix, Sandfort, Perkins, Freeman would all play a lot for all the B1G teams. Purdue and Illinois are fairly loaded with talent, so hard to fit it in playing time for 4 Iowa guys on those teams.

What Iowa needs is a stud PG like NW Bouie and a stud PF and coach that believes defense/rebounding are important.

Iowa's talent is pretty good individually. The problem Iowa has is lack of athleticism/strength at guard and the Krikke/PMAC combination is really well below average when you factor in defense/rebounding.

Dix, Sandfort, Perkins, Freeman would all play a lot for all the B1G teams. Purdue and Illinois are fairly loaded with talent, so hard to fit it in playing time for 4 Iowa guys on those teams.

What Iowa needs is a stud PG like NW Bouie and a stud PF and coach that believes defense/rebounding are important.
I don't think Purdue is loaded at guard at all, Edey makes their lives easy.

The majority of the conference has players that are better at guard than Purdue.

There's not one area of the game where Loyer is better than Dix. Loyers best aspect is his 3pt shooting and and Dix even beats him there.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

I've been saying it all year but the primary lineup should have been the 4 up listed and Harding. They should have logged the bulk of minutes together but it never happened.

Dix, Sandfort, Perkins, Freeman would all play a lot for all the B1G teams. Purdue and Illinois are fairly loaded with talent
I completely agree with this.

Again, the point of the OP is not that Iowa players all suck. It’s to illustrate how far behind they are in talent compared to the top of the Big Ten.

Iowa does have a few really good players. Unfortunately, a lot of mediocrity surrounding those four and no one great.

Reactions: BirdistheWord

I think Harding is the stud PG. I’m convinced, his passing is incredible and his defense surprisingly good. He held up against the bigger Illini guards much better than I would have expected. I think we have our man at point, PF and center for the next 3 years. Throw in Dix at the 2 and I’m pretty excited about the future.

I’ll go first.

Start:

Log 10+ minutes:

Did I miss anyone?

Yikes.
Can't really argue except I think you under appreciate Dix. He's a pretty good player right now...much improved since the start of the season. Had 3 straight games of 20+ going into yesterday. Had 13 v the Illini.

Anyway, with the way he's playing now he could get 10 minutes IMO. Agree Freeman probably get 10...especially if he doesn't have to worry about fouls :)

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
As much as you use the term dumbass, I think you might be projecting a little, Chad.

Other than nitpicking here or there, no one has really disproved my OP as far as the discrepancy in talent across the board is concerned. Of course, the overly simplistic view (which you true to form always take) is to create a straw man by stating the OP should be interpreted to mean every Iowa player sucks. You do you, Chad.

Prove….LOL good stuff. Here is what I know, Fran has won 10 plus Big games for what 10ish years, with a roster of MAC players…

I mean thats effing impressive. Nothing more needs said….and yet your here still trying to prove something 🤪

Reactions: iahawks10
Can't really argue except I think you under appreciate Dix. He's a pretty good player right now...much improved since the start of the season. Had 3 straight games of 20+ going into yesterday. Had 13 v the Illini.

Anyway, with the way he's playing now he could get 10 minutes IMO. Agree Freeman probably get 10...especially if he doesn't have to worry about fouls :)
I admitted my error on Dix.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Perkins, dix, Sandford, and Freeman all would. Op is regarded

Yeah I don’t get it…
Again, this is false. How many times do you need corrected on this error?

The talent discrepancy conversation is about this year. This year. So stop with the lies and misrepresentations.

Yeah, because this is the first year that has happened lol this just gets better and better stay in here with me buddy you are helping me a great deal.

****, this board is fraught with accusing current players of not being up to the right level…

And your pretending like it’s just this year…

I’m not gonna ask you to stop though I’m just gonna tell you to keep piling on. It’s awesome!!!

I mean really, where in the hell have you been? Do you live in a vacuum…?

Freeman was given an opportunity out of necessity I don’t believe he would have gotten at Purdue or Illinois. I agree he’s already a good player who will be a star in this league as a sophomore and upperclassman.

JMO I don't like this thinking. He got the opportunity at Iowa and he has done the most he could with it. Yeah he wouldn't play over Edey at Purdue... no kidding.

I mean this sincerely he'll get offers of 750K+ this offseason.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I think Harding is the stud PG. I’m convinced, his passing is incredible and his defense surprisingly good. He held up against the bigger Illini guards much better than I would have expected. I think we have our man at point, PF and center for the next 3 years. Throw in Dix at the 2 and I’m pretty excited about the future.

Pretty hard to be excited about a team that only has about 4 big 10 guys🤷‍♂️

Yeah I don’t get it…

Yeah, because this is the first year that has happened lol this just gets better and better stay in here with me buddy you are helping me a great deal.

****, this board is fraught with accusing current players of not being up to the right level…

And your pretending like it’s just this year…

I’m not gonna ask you to stop though I’m just gonna tell you to keep piling on. It’s awesome!!!

I mean really, where in the hell have you been? Do you live in a vacuum…?
I’ve only been posting for about a year.

No offense, but you’re an idiot.

Reactions: DewHawk
I’ve only been posting for about a year.

No offense, but you’re an idiot.

None taken…. I personally don’t think you could find your ass with both hands, so why would I care what you thought of me?

Anyone that’s been here for more than a year knows we constantly have people Suggesting our roster isn’t big 10 material….🤷‍♂️

Not hard to see who the idiots are.

🤪

I’ll go first.

Start:

Log 10+ minutes:

Did I miss anyone?

Yikes.
So, I guess you are saying the PU and IL, two excellent programs year in and year out, and ranked in the Top 15 in the nation, have better talent than the Hawks?

Bold-Statement.jpg

Spot on post…this is a typical Iowa team that IF they were to ever make it to the second weekend, they would probably get absolutely steam rolled by a more athletic player team (ie Oregon a few years back). 😎 IMHO our only hope to make to the Final 4 is to emulate Wisconsin’s program….

So, I guess you are saying the PU and IL, two excellent programs year in and year out, and ranked in the Top 15 in the nation, have better talent than the Hawks?

Bold-Statement.jpg
You’re lacking a little reading comprehension and context, but yeah, you got it. Well done.

I’ll go first.

Start:

Log 10+ minutes:

Did I miss anyone?

Yikes.
Illinois subs for well over 10 minutes for. Danjai. Maybe the freshman getting minutes could pay off big.

You’re lacking a little reading comprehension and context, but yeah, you got it. Well done.
I don't think I missed anything. Illinois and Purdue have better players. Most Iowa players wouldn't play much. I think, with the exception of the Garza/Murray twin years, that would be the case.

What did I miss?

Reactions: cmhawks99

Some more length/height wouldn't hurt either......

I don't think Purdue is loaded at guard at all, Edey makes their lives easy.

The majority of the conference has players that are better at guard than Purdue.

There's not one area of the game where Loyer is better than Dix. Loyers best aspect is his 3pt shooting and and Dix even beats him there.
I think we both meant the same thing. I think Purdue guards will get shut down in NCAA play.

Purdue is loaded with Shooters...they got Loyer, Braden Smith, and the transfer out of S. Illinois. I don't think Purdue guard talent is very good, but since the don't have anyone guarding them at times because of Eddey, It is easy to get shots off as Purdue guard---so they are doing their role as Shooters. They around 40%+ as a team from 3.

I think Dix and Perkins could start for Purdue or play heavy minutes.. Sandfort would play off bench. Same with Freeman. The original post was nobody would start at Purdue/Illini and I think some of IOwa guys are better than Illini/Purdue starters. The big difference is Purdue has Eddey and Illini have Shannon which are both way, way better than anyone on Iowa team.

Spot on post…this is a typical Iowa team that IF they were to ever make it to the second weekend, they would probably get absolutely steam rolled by a more athletic player team (ie Oregon a few years back). 😎 IMHO our only hope to make to the Final 4 is to emulate Wisconsin’s program….

Bo Ryan was a genius as coach and he got the most out of players with high skill level but mostly below the rim athleticism.

We have a coach that tries to do the opposite of Bo Ryan's system while replicating the part about trying to get by with lessor athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT