ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa #2 per PFF (May 25) & # 3 in Sporting News (May 25), Athlon's (May 18), CBS Sports (May 5) & ESPN's (May 4) B1G Power Rankings

It would truly be the most "Iowa thing" to beat Wisconsin, Northwestern, Indiana and Penn State...and lose to Purdue and Maryland, costing us the B1G West and getting us that trip to Nashville after all...

And that's why Wisky is ranked ahead of us. They don't have nearly the history of doing the "Iowa thing" as Iowa does.

Northwestern and Minnesota could surprise, but I’m not expecting it this year

Did you expect it last year and in 2018? Almost all fans of every other team in the West pencil in a "W" against Northwestern.

Did you expect it last year and in 2018? Almost all fans of every other team in the West pencil in a "W" against Northwestern.
I barely remember what I did last weekend, so I have no idea what my expectations were for 2018 Northwestern football lol

Frankly I’d say it’s a nod of respect to your football program to say you could surprise after all of the turnover you are experiencing this offseason. Fitzgerald really does a great job there

9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

The FULL Story & Analysis:

It’s all about how we start. Usually a slow start. Can’t afford it this year. Last year killed us. Need to be really ready week one and play aggressive.

Wisconsin is only in there because they have been “the team to beat” for a decade Iowa needs to paste them every year like they did this past year and let the whoopings get bigger and bigger every year .. yes... I like that idea myself
They have a very good QB who a lot of top programs offered. UW will always be good

I barely remember what I did last weekend, so I have no idea what my expectations were for 2018 Northwestern football lol

Frankly I’d say it’s a nod of respect to your football program to say you could surprise after all of the turnover you are experiencing this offseason. Fitzgerald really does a great job there

Fitz has quietly done a nice job in recruiting so we're at our highest levels talent-wise now. Two West division championships and four bowl wins in a row have had a positive effect on recruiting. Those weren't fluke wins and championships. The fluke season was 2019 where we had to play 3rd and 4th string QBs. We have young guys in the program now who are as good as the guys we've lost to the draft. For example, an all-American at Safety as a freshman (not freshman AA) and a likely all-American at OT in Skoronski (2nd team all-B1G as a true frosh).

Somehow, NU's DB play has become as good as any school in the B1G including OSU, and our OL recruiting has taken a significant leap since OL Coach Anderson has joined the program. We haven't had OL recruiting like this in 20 years. Dare I say NU is recruiting at the Iowa and Wisconsin level now on the OL? It remains to be seen whether they can reach UW or Iowa levels on the field in a year or two. Cam Porter at RB is big (220 lbs) and quick, and may turn out better than Justin Jackson. Bowser (165 yards vs Iowa in 2018) has left the program because he's been passed up.

Our biggest deficiency for a while now at NU is at WR. We've also been weak at QB recruiting since Clayton Thorson but have been able to land good QB's through the transfer portal. Ramsey wanted to go to NU but we never offered. It turned out he was even better at QB than Thorson. Hilinski was a 4-star QB offered by NU but chose South Carolina. Now we have him for the next 2-3 years. 5-star Johnson is still trying to figure out coverages.

The other question mark is how well the new DC will do. Mike Hankwitz was a tremendous DC and will be tough to replace.

Reactions: badger-007
Fitz has quietly done a nice job in recruiting so we're at our highest levels talent-wise now. Two West division championships and four bowl wins in a row have had a positive effect on recruiting. Those weren't fluke wins and championships. The fluke season was 2019 where we had to play 3rd and 4th string QBs. We have young guys in the program now who are as good as the guys we've lost to the draft. For example, an all-American at Safety as a freshman (not freshman AA) and a likely all-American at OT in Skoronski (2nd team all-B1G as a true frosh).

Somehow, NU's DB play has become as good as any school in the B1G including OSU, and our OL recruiting has taken a significant leap since OL Coach Anderson has joined the program. We haven't had OL recruiting like this in 20 years. Dare I say NU is recruiting at the Iowa and Wisconsin level now on the OL? It remains to be seen whether they can reach UW or Iowa levels on the field in a year or two. Cam Porter at RB is big (220 lbs) and quick, and may turn out better than Justin Jackson. Bowser (165 yards vs Iowa in 2018) has left the program because he's been passed up.

Our biggest deficiency for a while now at NU is at WR. We've also been weak at QB recruiting since Clayton Thorson but have been able to land good QB's through the transfer portal. Ramsey wanted to go to NU but we never offered. It turned out he was even better at QB than Thorson. Hilinski was a 4-star QB offered by NU but chose South Carolina. Now we have him for the next 2-3 years. 5-star Johnson is still trying to figure out coverages.

The other question mark is how well the new DC will do. Mike Hankwitz was a tremendous DC and will be tough to replace.

I don't care if Northwestern hasn't won a game all year I will never underestimate them. Fitz just seems to have KF's number. You can say the same thing about Brohm at Purdue. Iowa should be the favorite to win the West this season. If they don't it's likely because KF stumbled in 1 of these two games again. That said I think Northwestern will be the sleeper team in the West again. Wisconsin will have one of their weaker offenses. The Badgers play into Iowa's strengths this year. However Iowa is never a favorite when they play conservative play for the final possession football against Wisconsin, Northwestern and Purdue. Heck we have even allowed Nebraska to hang around late in games.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

Some bold stuff in there but I can’t really dispute much of it at this point. I appreciate the breakdown

Hankwitz was a pain in the Badgers side regardless of how good either team was. I was glad to see him move on after a great career

Some bold stuff in there but I can’t really dispute much of it at this point. I appreciate the breakdown

Hankwitz was a pain in the Badgers side regardless of how good either team was. I was glad to see him move on after a great career

The OL stuff is only speculation at this point. Slater as the #13th pick is the only drafted OL since Zach Strief was drafted by the Saints in 2005. UDFA Blake Hance is now with Cleveland (surprisingly because he wasn't that good in college). Recent classes have yielded several 4-star OL with Skoronski already all-B1G as a true freshman and highly rated by PPF. On the other hand, UW has had dominant OL's for years now and put dozens of OL into the NFL over the past few decades.

Our DB's have been quite good. Campbell, Hartage, Peters, and Igwebuike (3 picks against UW in 2014), and now Newsome (#26th pick) are currently in the NFL. Newsome was a "shut-down" corner and a first-round pick while Pace signed a FA contract this year. Joseph was first-team all-American as a RSFreshman last year with six picks including the spectacular pick in the B1G championship game. Matt Harris was another "shut-down" corner who would have gone early in the draft a few years ago but had to retire from football after suffering several concussions. Nick VanHoose was also excellent (ask Nebraska) but gave up football for his health. Anyway, the two-deep looks good entering 2021.

May 4, 2021

College Football Post-Spring Top 25 Power Rankings​

5. Ohio State
11. Indiana
14. Iowa
18. Wisconsin
23. Penn State

Think IA is more in the 20-25 range. I look at their schedule and see 9 wins to 12-0. Somehow they will still finish 8-4, amirite?

Iowa State is #6? Decent looking team coming back, but either CFP is horrible this year or the writer has no idea what they are talking about.

Think IA is more in the 20-25 range. I look at their schedule and see 9 wins to 12-0. Somehow they will still finish 8-4, amirite?

Iowa State is #6? Decent looking team coming back, but either CFP is horrible this year or the writer has no idea what they are talking about.

I'd give the Hawks a preseason rank of 20. Much hinging on Petras and our DL. They do well we shall move on up the charts. A good QB could make up for bad pass protection by getting ball out quick. Goodson will make holes where they are small windows.

I'd give the Hawks a preseason rank of 20. Much hinging on Petras and our DL. They do well we shall move on up the charts. A good QB could make up for bad pass protection by getting ball out quick. Goodson will make holes where they are small windows.

This offense is as loaded with talent as any team since the Stanzi years. A shame to waste that with a bad QB, cuz we have the talent everywhere else to win the West.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
hmmmm. you guys and gals are way to fun. I did actually watch May 1 practice. Our DBs and linebackers are loaded. DL as always a work in practice. We are way loaded on wideouts outside, TE, and running backs. All about QB and Oline. We step up on Oline we play for Big Ten Championship.... then see what happens

After last season, it’s hard to see how Wisconsin is ranked #2.

The only thing I can think is that they think the new QB is going to be a stud. And they probably have another freshman running back from New Jersey. We'll see, but they need to earn that spot ahead of Iowa. The Hawks definitely have more returning talent so it has to be some super stud new QB and the usual NJ RB that turns out to be better than all the previous NJ RBs at Cheese U.

The season kinda snowballed on the Wisconsin offense last year. It started with Coan breaking his foot in fall camp and never really stopped after the COVID outbreak. By the bowl game they were down more than half of the starters (QB, 3 OL, 2 WR)

The offense will go as far as Mertz will take them in 2021. He needs to prove that 2020 was a result of his throwing shoulder injury, injuries to WRs, and general inexperience. He should have a pretty talented cast around him this year

The season kinda snowballed on the Wisconsin offense last year. It started with Coan breaking his foot in fall camp and never really stopped after the COVID outbreak. By the bowl game they were down more than half of the starters (QB, 3 OL, 2 WR)

The offense will go as far as Mertz will take them in 2021. He needs to prove that 2020 was a result of his throwing shoulder injury, injuries to WRs, and general inexperience. He should have a pretty talented cast around him this year
You guys will be damn good who you foolin with that poor boy attitude? Jk.. I think it’s Iowa and Wisconsin no particular order this season - will see though - I am just happy we got a W against you guys last year - how do your WR’s look this coming year? Anyone to watch out for? Danny Davis? Is he back this coming year?

Reactions: Carlton and bucky44
You guys will be damn good who you foolin with that poor boy attitude? Jk.. I think it’s Iowa and Wisconsin no particular order this season - will see though - I am just happy we got a W against you guys last year - how do your WR’s look this coming year? Anyone to watch out for? Danny Davis? Is he back this coming year?
Should be a solid group. Danny Davis and Kendric Pryor are both back. I think Chimere Dike is the best receiver by the end of the year though. AJ Abbott and Devin Chandler made some plays this spring but I don’t think they play much unless there are injuries

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
For Wisconsin, their WRs outside of Davis seem meh. Berger seems like he has potential but I don't know much else about their RBs. I like Wisconsin's Tackles but think the interior of their line doesn't look as good as it has in the past. Mertz struggled even more than Petras. I think they still have a long way to go on offense.
On defense I expect them to be really good again although I think their DL maybe isn't going to be as good but that isn't saying they will be bad. I expect their LBs to be good as usual. Their CBs are solid and Nelson is a stud at safety. Not sure who is going to play their other safety spot.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
To me Northwestern doesn't look like they will be as good as last year, at least on paper. Although they do have an upgrade at QB. I think their defense won't be as dominant and I still think they have problems on offense.

Petras will need to be much improved for Iowa to finish at the top of the West.
I don't know about much improved. I think if he makes modest gains but the line is good and running game is really good they can still win the West because I don't think Northwestern and Wisconsin are without faults. Now if Petras is does make major improvements, I think the West is for sure there's to lose, barring major injuries of course.

You ready for some TnT????

Tyler 'n' Tyrone?

With these 2 play makers, I agree w/ Hlas.

It's time for Iowa to win the West. This year.

The column:

I love the enthusiasm but there's only 1 Hawkeye TNT and they were the most electrifying offensive/ST duo I've seen in my near 40 years of watching. That hit Tim laid on punt coverage vs AZ like 96 still gives me chills. Will always remember the gasp from the crowd. The game Tavian set rushing record was like Tecmo Bowl. If Tyler and Tyrone both get drafted and one is an all american/heisman candidate maybe we can talk

Reactions: 87alum87
I don't know about much improved. I think if he makes modest gains but the line is good and running game is really good they can still win the West because I don't think Northwestern and Wisconsin are without faults. Now if Petras is does make major improvements, I think the West is for sure there's to lose, barring major injuries of course.
We'll see. I'm not sold yet on the line being dominant enough for them to force the opposing defense's hand. As has been seen many times in recent years, the defensive scheme to combat Iowa is to stack the box and make the Iowa QB beat them downfield.

We'll see. I'm not sold yet on the line being dominant enough for them to force the opposing defense's hand. As has been seen many times in recent years, the defensive scheme to combat Iowa is to stack the box and make the Iowa QB beat them downfield.
Yeah I am not sold on that either but I do think the interior of the line should be the best it has been in awhile.

For Wisconsin, their WRs outside of Davis seem meh. Berger seems like he has potential but I don't know much else about their RBs. I like Wisconsin's Tackles but think the interior of their line doesn't look as good as it has in the past. Mertz struggled even more than Petras. I think they still have a long way to go on offense.
On defense I expect them to be really good again although I think their DL maybe isn't going to be as good but that isn't saying they will be bad. I expect their LBs to be good as usual. Their CBs are solid and Nelson is a stud at safety. Not sure who is going to play their other safety spot.
The RBs behind Berger are either constantly injured (Guerendo and Davis) or incoming freshmen (Acker, Crawford, Roberts). No idea how things will sort out there. It sounds like they are in a really good spot for Clemson RB transfer Chez Mellusi, which would help quite a bit

I actually like this group of interior offensive lineman. They have some depth built up there for the first time in several years. Lyles and Seltzner (if he wins the job) have a lot of experience and Nelson is just a different animal

I expect Collin Wilder to start at SS. He has kinda been that 3rd/4th guy the last two seasons. He’ll play in the box a lot

Reactions: David1979
Agree blhawk. Tim and Tavian were both in the Heisman conversation as seniors, Tavian early in the season as he got to 1000 yards in five games, and Tim later in the season with his special teams play. Some lapses at QB held that team back.

Let's hope Tyler and Tyrone can both get similar mentions. Maybe Tyler can run all over Indiana, Iowa State, Kent State, Colorado State, and Maryland for close to 1000 and limit the stress on Petrus in those first two games. Then as Spencer really gels into a top level BIG QB, Tyrone will finish the season with several 100+ yard all-purpose games to win the West and enter the BIG Championship. If that pans out, in my book, they can be TnT for the next 30 years.

Any one of Northwestern, Wisconsin or Iowa could win the West. Always possible another team could, but all the rest of the teams in the West have too many question marks to thing it will be someone outside those 3. Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin all have their potential weaknesses depending on injuries or breaks.

I'm with you on the level of Petras' improvement. Iowa went 6-2 last year with him. Can he make enough players to be the difference in the 1-2 games where it will matter? We will find out.

May 5, 2021 Story

College football rankings: Alabama on top, Oregon rockets up CBS Sports' post-spring top 25​

4. Ohio State
12. Wisconsin
18. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana
23. Michigan

I think that is a much more accurate prediction for Indiana. Iowa seem low to me.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I really hate that we play Indiana and ISU do early. We always need the OOC to get the kinks out, but will not have that option this year. Very young DL and OL don’t give me a lot of confidence for the early games. God help us if we have to count on Spencer throwing deep.

Interior OL looks to be really good (lots of Goodson Wildcat??) and the defensive back 7 should be extremely good AND DEEP.

I am still bitter about not getting to open up a can of Whoop-ass on Michigan and Mizzou at the end of last year. Is there any question we would have won big? I think some of our guys would have been drafted or drafted higher than they were actually taken.

I really hate that we play Indiana and ISU do early. We always need the OOC to get the kinks out, but will not have that option this year. Very young DL and OL don’t give me a lot of confidence for the early games. God help us if we have to count on Spencer throwing deep.

Interior OL looks to be really good (lots of Goodson Wildcat??) and the defensive back 7 should be extremely good AND DEEP.

I am still bitter about not getting to open up a can of Whoop-ass on Michigan and Mizzou at the end of last year. Is there any question we would have won big? I think some of our guys would have been drafted or drafted higher than they were actually taken.
I agree, I hate that we draw ISU and Indiana so early, however, ISU was taken to task last year by Louisiana, and we can hope that Indiana will struggle early on as well. But it sucks because Iowa is well known for starting slow and getting better.

Odds via @betonline_ag Sports book:

E1H0YHGVUAQe7WZ

May 5, 2021 Story

College football rankings: Alabama on top, Oregon rockets up CBS Sports' post-spring top 25​

4. Ohio State
12. Wisconsin
18. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana
23. Michigan

May 4, 2021

College Football Post-Spring Top 25 Power Rankings​

5. Ohio State
11. Indiana
14. Iowa
18. Wisconsin
23. Penn State

Athlon's Power Rankings on March 11, 2021

9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

The FULL Story & Analysis:

Nebraska is always getting time on the Rivals Home page. They're on the front Page a lot. I don't think that any of the hype is real, half there team is in the Portal lately.

Reactions: Franisdaman
3 team rankings are iffy here.

Indiana is a smokescreen. Yes, they had a great year ibn 2021 but let's see if they can do it in successive years.

PSU is the team I can't figure out. Very good talent but just seems to fall short every year. This could be their year with OSU starting a RS freshman QB.

OSU has to get that horrible 2020 DB figured out. If they do, they could very well win the NC. If not, they could be in for a subpar year (for them)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT