ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa #2 per PFF (May 25) & # 3 in Sporting News (May 25), Athlon's (May 18), CBS Sports (May 5) & ESPN's (May 4) B1G Power Rankings

3 team rankings are iffy here.

Indiana is a smokescreen. Yes, they had a great year ibn 2021 but let's see if they can do it in successive years.

PSU is the team I can't figure out. Very good talent but just seems to fall short every year. This could be their year with OSU starting a RS freshman QB.

OSU has to get that horrible 2020 DB figured out. If they do, they could very well win the NC. If not, they could be in for a subpar year (for them)
Indiana is going to be really good defensively again because they basically return everybody. The key for them will be whether they can produce enough offense.

Indiana is going to be really good defensively again because they basically return everybody. The key for them will be whether they can produce enough offense.
Curious to see how it translates with the new DC. I think they lost a starter and depth guy on the DL as well. Indiana took advantage of a weird covid year. Kudos. I expect them to win 8 or 9 this year.

They are in the ESPN news feed for having added a DL from Auburn and a RB from USC. Sounds like they had already added 5 other guys from the portal.

Rough first game for our young OL & DL

Week 1 will be pretty fun across the B1G

E1XrhqEWYAU5Ed1
Holy Cow! A majority of the Top 25 will be squeezed into 9 games on Labor Day weekend. What a start to the season.

Interior OL has experience, but both OT’s do not. Unfortunately for them they don’t get the luxury of taking time to gel this year. They need to be clicking starting in game 1.

Plumb started a few games at RT, but none at LT. Ince has played a lot of games, but never RT, assuming he can make it back from injury by then. If not, I don’t recall Dejong playing any meaningful snaps before.

Reactions: David1979
I don't have that option. I'd have to drive 3 hours.

these damn gambling apps are potentially dangerous

I have heard stories of gamblers who live in the Quad Cities, on the Illinois side, where they drive across the Mississippi River, and into Iowa. The app knows they are in Iowa and they can then make their bets.

PFF is the latest to come out with its rankings.

PFF's May 25, 2021 Story:

College Football: PFF ELO rankings for all 130 FBS teams heading into the 2021 season​

3. Ohio State
9. Iowa
14. Wisconsin
19. Penn State
24. Indiana
25. Michigan

CBS Sports May 5, 2021 Story:

College football rankings: Alabama on top, Oregon rockets up CBS Sports' post-spring top 25​

4. Ohio State
12. Wisconsin
18. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana
23. Michigan

ESPN's May 4, 2021 Story:

College Football Post-Spring Top 25 Power Rankings​

5. Ohio State
11. Indiana
14. Iowa
18. Wisconsin
23. Penn State

Athlon's March 11, 2021 Story:

Athlon's Power Rankings on March 11, 2021

9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

The FULL Story & Analysis:

Last edited:
O/U Wins for this Season:

11: Ohio State
9.5 Wisconsin
9.0 Penn State
8.5 Iowa
8.0 Indiana
8.0 Michigan

Others:
7.0 Minnesota
6.5 Northwestern
6.0 Nebraska
5.5 Maryland
5.0 Purdue
4.0 Michigan State
3.0 Illinois

Yeah, I don't think enough people are taking that into account.

This is perhaps the biggest flaw in the polls and rankings. Teams that start in the top 10 are rarely dropped enough after a loss or sometimes even two. You'll sometimes see teams in early Nov with identical records (5-3 for example) and similar strength of schedule where one is ranked around 10-12 and the other not even in the top 25...largely because of where they started or where the pollsters "believed" they should be.

Yeah, I don't think enough people are taking that into account.
This is perhaps the biggest flaw in the polls and rankings. Teams that start in the top 10 are rarely dropped enough after a loss or sometimes even two. You'll sometimes see teams in early Nov with identical records (5-3 for example) and similar strength of schedule where one is ranked around 10-12 and the other not even in the top 25...largely because of where they started or where the pollsters "believed" they should be.

Yeah, the polls are flawed but I find it interesting that:

* Everyone voting in these polls feels its Wisconsin or Iowa vs Ohio State for the B1G Championship

* The worst we are ranked right now is #18. it will be interesting to see where we stand after week #2. If we somehow start off 2-0....

Reactions: Carlton
Wisconsin is only in there because they have been “the team to beat” for a decade Iowa needs to paste them every year like they did this past year and let the whoopings get bigger and bigger every year .. yes... I like that idea myself
All the polls are pretty clear.

It's Iowa or Wisconsin vs OSU for the B1G Championship.

Its time to head back to Indy.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
The top 3 B1G teams remain the same in Athlon's Rankings.

Athlon Sports May 18, 2021 Story:

College Football Rankings: Top 25 for 2021​

4. Ohio State
13. Wisconsin
16. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana

Yeah, the polls are flawed but I find it interesting that:

* Everyone voting in these polls feels its Wisconsin or Iowa vs Ohio State for the B1G Championship

* The worst we are ranked right now is #18. it will be interesting to see where we stand after week #2. If we somehow start off 2-0....
Looking at the last 10 years, that's a pretty safe bet.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Well, at least Petras will have some hostile crowd experience before the big game in Madison

Wish he would have some prior to ISU. I fear the shi** show which is Ames could rattle him. I think that game will either reinforce the idea that he's jumpy and nervous or he can put it to bed with a cool-headed solid performance.

3 team rankings are iffy here.

Indiana is a smokescreen. Yes, they had a great year ibn 2021 but let's see if they can do it in successive years.

PSU is the team I can't figure out. Very good talent but just seems to fall short every year. This could be their year with OSU starting a RS freshman QB.

OSU has to get that horrible 2020 DB figured out. If they do, they could very well win the NC. If not, they could be in for a subpar year (for them)

Last year, Indiana went 6-2 and the year before we went 8-5.

The two back to back bowl losses hurts, but CTA has us rolling, especially at a school like Indiana. It's not just smoke and mirrors.

Allen the Indiana coach is an SEC guy. He wants a HC job there and he knows he only has Phenix for a short time. He has to make a splash now! This the reason for all the portal signings. Portal players have a negative long term effect but a positive short term effect.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Allen the Indiana coach is an SEC guy. He wants a HC job there and he knows he only has Phenix for a short time. He has to make a splash now! This the reason for all the portal signings. Portal players have a negative long term effect but a positive short term effect.
Dumb question. How do portal players have a negative long term effect?

You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Tom Allen was born in New Castle, Indiana. Got his coaching career started in Indiana as a high school coach at Ben Davis High. Then followed Hugh Freeze around to Arkansas State and Ole Miss.

He's not a SEC guy. If he wanted to get out of his deal, he wouldn't have put in his contract that every year he makes a bowl, it tacks on a extra year to his contract. Plus, his buyout is well over $20 million.

Your statement about the portal is absolutely stupid. We want to win. At receiver, we lost Whop, so we're bringing in DJ Matthews from FSU and Cameron Buckley from Texas A&M. We needed depth on both lines so we did that. We needed secondary help and brought in coach McCullough's son at safety. We lost Stevie Scott at running back so brought in a former five star that McCullough coached at USC, Stephen Carr.

CTA wants to win and thinks these guys can help him. We go up against Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State every year. Saying the portal is some proof that he's trying to get out is one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen written, and that says a lot.

Last edited:

Tom Allen was born in New Castle, Indiana. Got his coaching career started in Indiana as a high school coach at Ben Davis High. Then followed Hugh Freeze around to Arkansas State and Ole Miss.

He's not a SEC guy. If he wanted to get out of his deal, he wouldn't have put in his contract that every year he makes a bowl, it tacks on a extra year to his contract. Plus, his buyout is well over $20 million.

Your statement about the portal is absolutely stupid. We want to win. At receiver, we lost Whop, so we're bringing in DJ Matthews from FSU and Cameron Buckley from Texas A&M. We needed depth on both lines so we did that. We needed secondary help and brought in coach McCullough's son at safety. We lost Stevie Scott at running back so brought in a former five star that McCullough coached at USC, Stephen Carr.

CTA wants to win and thinks these guys can help him. We got up against Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State every year. Saying the portal is some proof that he's trying to get out is one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen written, and that says a lot.
Brohm and Allen both won the portal big time this year.

PFF's May 25, 2021 Story:

College Football: PFF ELO rankings for all 130 FBS teams heading into the 2021 season​

3. Ohio State
9. Iowa
14. Wisconsin
19. Penn State
24. Indiana
25. Michigan

Sporting News May 25, 2021 Story:

College football rankings: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State lead Sporting News' preseason top 25​

3. Ohio State
15. Indiana
18. Iowa
20. Wisconsin
25. Penn State

Athlon Sports May 18, 2021 Story:

College Football Rankings: Top 25 for 2021​

4. Ohio State
13. Wisconsin
16. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana

CBS Sports May 5, 2021 Story:

College football rankings: Alabama on top, Oregon rockets up CBS Sports' post-spring top 25​

4. Ohio State
12. Wisconsin
18. Iowa
19. Penn State
21. Indiana
23. Michigan

ESPN's May 4, 2021 Story:

College Football Post-Spring Top 25 Power Rankings​

5. Ohio State
11. Indiana
14. Iowa
18. Wisconsin
23. Penn State

Athlon's March 11, 2021 Story:

Athlon's Power Rankings on March 11, 2021

9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

The FULL Story & Analysis:

The May 25th article sounds about right besides Iowa should be 100% winning the BTC and Natty Champ thank you, thank you very much

CTA wants to win and thinks these guys can help him. We go up against Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State every year. Saying the portal is some proof that he's trying to get out is one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen written, and that says a lot.
20 million buyout for crazy Tom Allen? That’s just insane a coach with his limited success would have that high of a buyout.

I don’t think Ferentz had that high of a buy out anymore and he’s had much more success than Tom Allen ever will.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
20 million buyout for crazy Tom Allen? That’s just insane a coach with his limited success would have that high of a buyout.

I don’t think Ferentz had that high of a buy out anymore and he’s had much more success than Tom Allen ever will.

I mean, Tom Allen has been the head coach since 2017 and has a winning record overall since coming to Indiana. Let me state that again. Since 2017, when he became head coach, he has a winning record, at Indiana, the all time losing school when he became coach.

Why wouldn't we want to have a high buyout so teams couldn't just come and swoop him away?

Kind of blows the theory that he's a SEC guy and is looking to get out, don't you think?

I mean, Tom Allen has been the head coach since 2017 and has a winning record overall since coming to Indiana. Let me state that again. Since 2017, when he became head coach, he has a winning record, at Indiana, the all time losing school when he became coach.

Why wouldn't we want to have a high buyout so teams couldn't just come and swoop him away?

Kind of blows the theory that he's a SEC guy and is looking to get out, don't you think?
Don’t worry. No one wants your crazy head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT