ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa #2 per PFF (May 25) & # 3 in Sporting News (May 25), Athlon's (May 18), CBS Sports (May 5) & ESPN's (May 4) B1G Power Rankings

Calm - I'm not sure how or why you're refusing to grasp the "we need much better quarterback play" side of the discussion.

There are right around 70 QBs that finished with at least a 60% comp. rate. 25 were more than 65%.

Think about what Iowa football generally has in place year in and year out: very good OL, capable RBs, capable WRs, more than capable TEs, and a borderline outstanding Defense. Last season we even had very good punt/return performances.

So yes, as long as a majority of the above remain constants for us, better statistics outta the QB position will almost certainly result in a trip(s) to Indy.

But Petras stats IMPROVED after his first 2 starts. I was dogging him for a while, but if you break down the stats and the way he MANAGED the game the last 6 games it was pretty darn good at times, not all the time but at times you saw what he could be. Now, does his touch passing and reads need to get better? hell yeah they do. But I have confidence they will. If we start out 0-2, it will be time to start looking at more reps for Padilla/Hogan/Labas..... I think Labas is the best of the 3 BTW.
I just think of it like this. Do we want Adrian Martinez or Petras? Do we want what Purdue has under center or Petras? do we want Vedral or Petras? Do you want Rocky Lombardi or Petras? do you want last years Sean Clifford or Petras? Do you even want last years Tanner Morgan or Petras? BTW Tanner Morgan his first year was not amazing. Hell Mertz shined against Michigan and then people wanted him benched late in the season because he regressed. Peters at Illinois is decent, but Petras and company looked better last year in that win. NW.... what do they have now? They struck gold with a grad transfer and now they have some huge unknowns. You could argue Petras was the most stable of the west QBs towards the end of the year. Wisconsin was his best game and his last game. That is what you want with a first year QB, someone who improves.

I have confidence this staff can turn it around with him.

9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

The FULL Story & Analysis:

Unless we get some transfer help on the dline I’m not seeing it. I think we’ll be good but 3rd? If we pick up a DT and DE I’d agree

Reactions: TKingpin
We were top 3/4 last year with him though.
Only because the other great teams had their worst seasons this century. Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State? We beat them but it's because they were the worst teams they've fielded in a long long time.

But Petras stats IMPROVED after his first 2 starts. I was dogging him for a while, but if you break down the stats and the way he MANAGED the game the last 6 games it was pretty darn good at times, not all the time but at times you saw what he could be. Now, does his touch passing and reads need to get better? hell yeah they do. But I have confidence they will. If we start out 0-2, it will be time to start looking at more reps for Padilla/Hogan/Labas..... I think Labas is the best of the 3 BTW.
I just think of it like this. Do we want Adrian Martinez or Petras? Do we want what Purdue has under center or Petras? do we want Vedral or Petras? Do you want Rocky Lombardi or Petras? do you want last years Sean Clifford or Petras? Do you even want last years Tanner Morgan or Petras? BTW Tanner Morgan his first year was not amazing. Hell Mertz shined against Michigan and then people wanted him benched late in the season because he regressed. Peters at Illinois is decent, but Petras and company looked better last year in that win. NW.... what do they have now? They struck gold with a grad transfer and now they have some huge unknowns. You could argue Petras was the most stable of the west QBs towards the end of the year. Wisconsin was his best game and his last game. That is what you want with a first year QB, someone who improves.

I have confidence this staff can turn it around with him.
Iowa's total OL performance was ranked 12th in all of football..Petras ranked 89th.. Let's start there.

Clifford, Martinez, and Morgan all had higher ratings than Petras. Their OL's??

PSU: 39th Neb: 94th. Minn: 34th
All much less dominant than Iowa's

Now, Lombardi wasn't good at all and was ranked accordingly (93rd) but factor in their 71st-rated OL. Rutgers' Vedral wasn't good (96th) but they also suffered through a 112th-rated OL. Penix Jr. delt with a 124th-rated OL that was second to last in all of P5 in pass protection - he finished ranked 53rd.

I'll touch on Tanner Morgan's first season since you brought it up - his TD/INT ratio absolutely nothing to brag about but he finished with total QB rating that would have fallen in 2020's top 30.

Bonus statistic: Iowa's 3rd-down conversion % ranked 107th. Yikes!!!

Summary: Petras DID show slight improvement. Neither of us want to be here after the '21 season discussing how/why the Hawks didn't win West with a top 12 OL and top 6 scoring defense. Here's to a big year 2 for Spencer! Cheers and Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Iowa's total OL performance was ranked 12th in all of football..Petras ranked 89th.. Let's start there.

Clifford, Martinez, and Morgan all had higher ratings than Petras. Their OL's??

PSU: 39th Neb: 94th. Minn: 34th
All much less dominant than Iowa's

Now, Lombardi wasn't good at all and was ranked accordingly (93rd) but factor in their 71st-rated OL. Rutgers' Vedral wasn't good (96th) but they also suffered through a 112th-rated OL. Penix Jr. delt with a 124th-rated OL that was second to last in all of P5 in pass protection - he finished ranked 53rd.

I'll touch on Tanner Morgan's first season since you brought it up - his TD/INT ratio absolutely nothing to brag about but he finished with total QB rating that would have fallen in 2020's top 30.

Summary: Petras DID show slight improvement. Neither of us want to be here after the '21 season discussing how/why the Hawks didn't win West with a top 12 OL and top 6 scoring defense. Here's to a big year 2 for Spencer! Cheers and Go Hawks!
/end of discussion 🔥

I just don’t see where the DL will be even above average. ZVV is back. After that?? Noah Shannon needs to take a BIG step forward. Same with Joe Evans. No idea who will be on the interior DL besides Shannon. Waggoner? Maybe he is still DE?

Maybe all those Freshmen were killing it in practice last year? If so, maybe we get some contributions from Isaiah Bruce or Logan (Lee or Jones)or Yahya Black...?

I think we are going to struggle, even with one of the best back 7’s on defense in recent memory. I hope I am wrong, but games are won in the trenches. Our OL should be good, even without Kallenberger, but I hope our DL are a lot better than when they were in the game as backups against the Gophers in the 4th quarter. They just ran it down our throats.

The only position about which I'm worried is QB. Petras was no where nearly as bad as his critics said, every week but he was not a championship caliber QB. Spencer is the most likely to make a big jump forward but, at the end of the day, Iowa needs better QB play and I don't care where it comes from as long as it is better.

I just don’t see where the DL will be even above average. ZVV is back. After that?? Noah Shannon needs to take a BIG step forward. Same with Joe Evans. No idea who will be on the interior DL besides Shannon. Waggoner? Maybe he is still DE?

Maybe all those Freshmen were killing it in practice last year? If so, maybe we get some contributions from Isaiah Bruce or Logan (Lee or Jones)or Yahya Black...?

I think we are going to struggle, even with one of the best back 7’s on defense in recent memory. I hope I am wrong, but games are won in the trenches. Our OL should be good, even without Kallenberger, but I hope our DL are a lot better than when they were in the game as backups against the Gophers in the 4th quarter. They just ran it down our throats.

Phil P has shown the ability to reload the defense for years. Our line will be good because its always good. Plus we have some highly recruited guys on the pine behind the top four or five guys.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Yup. Spencer just needs to calm down during the 1st Qtr/Half when those 70,000 Screaming Hawk Fans are making Kinnick rattle in 2021!
He played great in the second half the last several games.
Flashes of just how great he can be!

Reactions: Tytyhawk

Throw Lee and Karchinski and Craig into the mix. Then add Liddle, Bowie, Sullivan and Pittman. Then Graves a year later. I don't know what 2021 looks like, but the future of the DL looks bright.

Only because the other great teams had their worst seasons this century. Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State? We beat them but it's because they were the worst teams they've fielded in a long long time.
My God! Wtf? We were in the same damn boat as all those teams in a pandemic season except we had a new qb with hardly any experience. Btw we didn't beat michigan, they canceled.

Reactions: AlvySinger
9th for Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G, seems high!!!

Oh, and fook Wisconsin!!!

2021 B1G Power Rankings:

1. Ohio State
2 Wisconsin
3 IOWA

4 Indiana
5 Penn State
6 Michigan
7 Northwestern
8 Minnesota
9 Nebraska

10 Maryland
11 Purdue
12 Michigan State
13 Rutgers (@MrsScrew )
14 Illinois

The FULL Story & Analysis:

Purdue returns 9 on offense and 8 on defense...

O we get. We get that for some reason a 65% completion percentage would take a decade of development under our staff. We understand that development of reading the system and not checking down to your safety net within 2 reads takes atleast 3 years of starting experience if you didn't come to Iowa with that ability. We get it. Contrary to what @FlickShagwell thinks the guy had 2 good halves of football. He was at like 110-120 yards with a sub 60% completion percentage in both the Illinois and wiscy first halves everyone likes to point to.

Speaking of development wasn't Nate Stanley pretty direct that there was very little time spent on skill development while at Iowa?
Let me drag up a month and a half old thread to reply with this; the last QB to start for Iowa and have a 65 or higher completion percentage was non other than Kyle McCann in 2001. So while this may seem like a good number, it's not very realistic. That's all.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Is it Iowa’s fault that some of those historically “great” teams were down somewhat last year?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Not surprised at all. You guys are gonna have a good year.

tenor.gif

Reactions: pink shizzle
Let me drag up a month and a half old thread to reply with this; the last QB to start for Iowa and have a 65 or higher completion percentage was non other than Kyle McCann in 2001. So while this may seem like a good number, it's not very realistic. That's all.
25 guys did it last year. The fact we have not had a guy do it in 2 decades is a Iowa problem.

After last season, it’s hard to see how Wisconsin is ranked #2.
Wisconsin always seems to bounce right back after a down year so I can see it. If they were particularly young last year you can expect them to be much better this year.

Is it Iowa’s fault that some of those historically “great” teams were down somewhat last year?
No but it’s important to understand the context of our wins. “A win is a win” doesn’t matter when trying to predict the next year’s teams/matchups

25 guys did it last year. The fact we have not had a guy do it in 2 decades is a Iowa problem.
Adrian Martinez was 4th last year at 71%. He also only had 4 passing TD's to 3 interceptions. And they won 3 games. All I'm saying is completion percentage doesn't paint the entire picture and isn't the defining statistic. Do I wish Spencer was more accurate? Sure. But ultimately I'll take 6 wins over 3 every day.

And Purdue's best player is gone. Sure, Bell torched Iowa, but that won't happen again. Purdue got a good draw getting iowa game one last year, as iowa always starts slow.
"Best player". I'll say this. Losing rondale is going to be tough, but Purdue offense was good without him and the WR room is loaded. I don't expect the offense to miss a beat. In fact, it should be better next year in every aspect. Look for Milton Wright to step up.

Also, George Karlaftis was and is Purdues best player.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Purdue returns 9 on offense and 8 on defense...
One of the most misleading stats out there. OSU only returns 4 to 5 (on each side) every year but the players stepping in are extremely talented. Returning starters don't mean crap if they're not high quality. It all comes down to quality depth on the roster

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheahawk
One of the most misleading stats out there. OSU only returns 4 to 5 (on each side) every year but the players stepping in are extremely talented. Returning starters don't mean crap if they're not high quality. It all comes down to quality depth on the roster
When the depth is developing and actually starting to exist....

I also think Northwestern is very underrated. Gonna run Cam Porter behind future 1st round pick Peter Skoronski all day. Not a bad game plan!

Reactions: Gladeskat
If this years Iowa team is 3 rd in the B1G it’s a down year for the league. Lots of question marks assumed as positive solutions. I have no desire to win the off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT