ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa and the Big 10 tournament...an exercise in futility.

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
There have been 18 Big 10 tournaments (counting this year). Iowa has lost their first game a staggering 11 times! They have only made it to Saturday 4 times....the last being in 2006!

This is not only horrendous, it is pathetic. Why, oh why is Iowa so bad in the BTT? It is so maddening and frustrating to see this futility year after year after year.
furious.r191677.gif

Don't think Davis ever won a BTT game, or Lickliter. Alford did ok, but he couldn't win in the NCAA except once. And now Fran continues the tradition.

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

Don't think Davis ever won a BTT game, or Lickliter. Alford did ok, but he couldn't win in the NCAA except once. And now Fran continues the tradition.

Alford did ok?

Wow tough crowd.

3 championship games and 2 championships and one of the best winning % and he did ok?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Unfortunately, this is why I was not confident going into yesterday's game.

Some of those Alford BTT runs were glorious, and I would like to have those back again someday.

Originally posted by 2432Hawk:

Alford did ok?

Wow tough crowd.

3 championship games and 2 championships and one of the best winning % and he did ok?
HAHAHAHAHA ok? Seriously, this board is miserable..

It is miserable. Not sure what our problem is. The other weird thing is we are so strong away this year but still a donut with neutral courts.

Davis only coached in one B1G tournament so saying he never won doesn't mean much. Alford was fantastic. The one year he placed second was the year Ohio St. won it and they had to vacate their wins. Lickliter was abysmal. Fran has been bad. His team has now lost to a much lower seed two years in a row and I believe he's 2-5 in the tournament. So overall, yes, Iowa has been bad but that's pretty much a direct reflection of how bad the teams have been since the tourney was started.

In Davis' defense, his teams never had to play on Thursday in the BTT; had a top five seed both years.

Originally posted by 2432Hawk:

Alford did ok?

Wow tough crowd.

Ok, I stand corrected, he did good or great whatever. I see you did not address the 1 win in the NCAA tourney. Tournament championships don't mean a lot to me when you lay an egg every year in the NCAA tourney.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
Davis only coached in one B1G tournament so saying he never won doesn't mean much. Alford was fantastic. The one year he placed second was the year Ohio St. won it and they had to vacate their wins. Lickliter was abysmal. Fran has been bad. His team has now lost to a much lower seed two years in a row and I believe he's 2-5 in the tournament. So overall, yes, Iowa has been bad but that's pretty much a direct reflection of how bad the teams have been since the tourney was started.
Davis coached in two. 0-2.

yeah but Davis was 9-0 in the NCAA's with a sweet 16 his last season so who gives a shit, other than posters needing to beetch about something.

in fact Davis had 1 Elite 8, 2 sweet 16's along with those 9 opening round games, Davis lost to a #1 seed 5 times and NEVER lost to a team "LOWER" than a 5 seed in the Dance. in fact that 5 seed was Jimmy Valvano's UNCST team that won the NT

ISU fans either are crying or bragging about their team losing to 2 NT teams but Davis lost to 7 NT and 2 that finished 2nd. in his 9 trips.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

yeah but Davis was 9-0 in the NCAA's with a sweet 16 his last season so who gives a shit, other than posters needing to beetch about something.

in fact Davis had 1 Elite 8, 2 sweet 16's along with those 9 opening round games,  Davis lost to a #1 seed 5 times and NEVER lost to a team "LOWER" than a 5 seed in the Dance. in fact that 5 seed was Jimmy Valvano's UNCST team that won the NT

ISU fans either are crying or bragging about their team losing to 2 NT teams but Davis lost to 7 NT and 2 that finished 2nd. in his 9 trips.
OMG Kilroy, are you telling me that that NC State team with Rodney Monroe and Chris Corchiani in 1989 is the same team that won the National Championship in 1983? You've outdone yourself this time, sir!!

Fran's version of the Hawkeyes have been less than impressive in the B1G conference tournament going 2-5 with a single win in the 2012 and 2013 and nothing in 2014 or 2015 (of course the last two years are all of Fran's recruits). I hope this trend reverses as Fran is able to make better in-roads with quality recruits. I guess with so much futility in the B1G conference tournament it is understandable why so many fans could care less about winning in the conference tournament.

Fans want Iowa to win every game. And they should just like the players. The problem with some fans and i am sure it is true everywhere is that they can't seem to let go of a loss and move on to the next game.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:
Fans want Iowa to win every game. And they should just like the players. The problem with some fans and i am sure it is true everywhere is that they can't seem to let go of a loss and move on to the next game.
smile.r191677.gif
Of course the reverse is true as well. There are plenty who live in the past and bring that up any time someone reminds them it's been a decade and a half since we won an NCAA game.

I grew up in a time when Iowa fans took it for granted they would be part of March Madness and advance past the first round.

It's call the theory of relativity, just without the physics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT