ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa athletics reports 32 positive COVID-19 tests in one week

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa's athletics department reported 32 positive tests for COVID-19 for the week of Aug. 17-23, the highest weekly total it's experienced since return-to-campus protocol began May 29.

In a release Tuesday, the university said it conducted 646 total tests in athletics last week. That is the most tests we've seen in a week, too, which makes sense considering many students returned to campus for the start of fall-semester classes.

The 5% positivity rate (32 of 646) is a slight uptick from Hawkeye athletics numbers in recent weeks, as testing frequency has increased. It was 4.4% for Aug. 3-9 (15 of 338) and 1.2% for Aug. 10-16 (four of 335).

In total since May 29, Iowa athletics has reported 83 positive tests and 1,838 negative tests (4.3% positivity), with one test inconclusive. The university does not specify whether the positive tests are for athletes or staff members. The UI protocol requires "isolation for the individuals who test positive and quarantine for those individuals who might have been exposed to someone with the virus."

Two things:
I thought canceling football was supposed to make everyone totally safe...as per a few denizens on this board.

Also, this information begs the question of whether or not any of these folks were symptomatic beyond a mild headcold and a brief low grade fever?

Two things:
I thought canceling football was supposed to make everyone totally safe...as per a few denizens on this board.

Also, this information begs the question of whether or not any of these folks were symptomatic beyond a mild headcold and a brief low grade fever?

nobody said that. And how is their symptoms relevant?

Two things:

It does not allude to any one of them being sick. You don't have to be in order to test positive

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Exactly. Yet, that information is highly relevant to any discussion...we know they tested positive, but were they actually sick?

Just b/c they aren’t sick doesn’t mean all the ppl they come in contact won’t get sick.

Just b/c they aren’t sick doesn’t mean all the ppl they come in contact won’t get sick.

Did anyone here claim that they couldn’t get someone else sick?

The first point is that, with 3 tests per week for players, we will know much more quickly who has the virus and needs to be quarantined. Without playing football and having this persistent testing...all of these asymptomatic young players would be out, unknowingly due to being asymptomatic, spreading the virus in the community.

The 2nd relevant point is that the VAST majority of these young players are symptom free and at virtually no personal risk.

32 cases!
...out of 646 tests. 5% positivity.
But, 32 cases sounds scarier.
What use is throwing out positive case numbers without knowing if you did 10 tests or 10,000 tests?

1/20 ppl being positive is super high, IMO. If I go to my grocery store that’s 5+ people wandering through the aisles.

Reactions: iamia
How are the symptoms of a virus during a pandemic relevant to how we treat, address, and react to that virus as a society? Is that a serious question.

The symptoms are the ONLY thing that is relevant.

I can't believe we are even needing to have this conversation. Folks act like COVID is a death sentence for college kids, let alone anyone under 60. It's not. Yes, it's serious and it's real. But here we are talking about any positive cases meaning the world is ending. Rinse, lather, repeat. And on and on and on.

Did anyone here claim that they couldn’t get someone else sick?

The first point is that, with 3 tests per week for players, we will know much more quickly who has the virus and needs to be quarantined. Without playing football and having this persistent testing...all of these asymptomatic young players would be out, unknowingly due to being asymptomatic, spreading the virus in the community.

All the other students aren’t getting tested? That sounds like a good reason to shutdown the whole school. I wasn’t in favor of that, but you’re persuading me. That’s essentially a student in every class.

I can't believe we are even needing to have this conversation. Folks act like COVID is a death sentence for college kids, let alone anyone under 60. It's not. Yes, it's serious and it's real. But here we are talking about any positive cases meaning the world is ending. Rinse, lather, repeat. And on and on and on.

there is another reason why some are frothing at the mouth about Covid. It’s about 10 weeks from now. Gotta paint the current situation as poorly as they possibly can

WHo do they come in contact with while in isolation?

And would anybody they come into contact with while in isolation get sicker if football was being played than they will without football being played?

WHo do they come in contact with while in isolation?

And would anybody they come into contact with while in isolation get sicker if football was being played than they will without football being played?

I think you know the answers to those questions GlenEllyn. And none of it matters. All the public cries for is to make COVID magically go away. New cases, new cases, new cases!!!!! Everybody back to their homes until our all-knowing overlords tell us it's safe to go outside.

tenor.gif

I think you know the answers to those questions GlenEllyn. And none of it matters. All the public cries for is to make COVID magically go away. New cases, new cases, new cases!!!!! Everybody back to their homes until our all-knowing overlords tell us it's safe to go outside.

But it doesn't appear ping72 knows the answers to those questions. Either that, or he's not very good at Bayesian inference.

Hey, supposedly if Biden is elected he's gonna shut the whole country back down.........

there is another reason why some are frothing at the mouth about Covid. It’s about 10 weeks from now. Gotta paint the current situation as poorly as they possibly can

Just remember that when you go to vote. Vote Democrat and we'll give you football. Vote Dump and we'll take away football until the next election. Tell your friend.

AND, if they were still playing football, they'd come in contact with a HELL of a lot less people, because they'd be too busy to go home or visit. Thats why this whole thing is so damn stupid. Stopping football will do NOTHING to stop these young men from spreading the virus to others who are more at risk, like parents, grandparents etc......

AND, if they were still playing football, they'd come in contact with a HELL of a lot less people, because they'd be too busy to go home or visit. Thats why this whole thing is so damn stupid. Stopping football will do NOTHING to stop these young men from spreading the virus to others who are more at risk, like parents, grandparents etc......

But if we shut down football, we'll all feel better, which is the most important thing after all.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that stopping football was intended to stop a kid from giving the virus to his family. Whether a kid sees his family and the precautions they take are totally up to them.

Everyone can take the precautions they want in order to keep from getting the virus. Some people have a higher chance (of getting the virus) than others because of the way they choose to live and their jobs.

Someone may decide to have a party and then anyone invited can choose to come or not. It will be the party giver's decision as to whether they want to risk someone getting the virus from the party. Some might be totally fine with it, while others may feel terrible if something bad happens.

Football is similar to the party. Is the person giving the party (university and B10) willing to risk someone getting sick and having a bad thing happen. When it comes down to it, the party givers will have to make that decision, not the party goers. I too want football but I'm not the party giver.

I am not sure who it was but he said the 32 positives were that high because once a player gets a positive result they're tested everyday. So, that would explain whey the numbers spiked. Sorry I don't know who said that but it seemed logical. I could be wrong,

I am not sure who it was but he said the 32 positives were that high because once a player gets a positive result they're tested everyday. So, that would explain whey the numbers spiked. Sorry I don't know who said that but it seemed logical. I could be wrong,
cdc told us long ago they count each positive test. even though they are not new in many cases but follow-ups of the same people recovering and retesting. it is NOT political fodder. it is SCIENCE. hence you rarely see any metric but total and 'new' tests positive in our narrative driven media.

Reactions: RothMatt
Two things:

They are going to go to remote learning within the next couple weeks, I'd guess.

cdc told us long ago they count each positive test. even though they are not new in many cases but follow-ups of the same people recovering and retesting. it is NOT political fodder. it is SCIENCE. hence you rarely see any metric but total and 'new' tests positive in our narrative driven media.

So it could really be four kids tested 8 times each? Marginally science for purposes of informing the public as to the real risk Covid. Analyzing for data like duration, symptomatic period, etc... is beneficial but when doing things like shutting down B!G football its outright legerdemain that does not present a realistic basis of the risk. Does anyone think the public reaction to all things shutdown related would be anything but revolt if the public knew that the number of positive cases is exaggerated repeatedly testing people that have already had a confirmed case? If that's how C+ is being defined then this has been the biggest hoax in American medical history.

In fact that is so crazy I cannot believe that such repeated tests are included in defining the total C+ demographic.

Does anyone know if any of these kids are actually sick? Per the newest CDC guidelines, as discussed in last night's diatribe, they do not even pose a risk of contagion if they are a symptomatic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT