ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa band relegated to pregame only at Citrus Bowl

Max_Rebo

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
To make way for a country music performance, the Iowa band will play pre-game only at the Citrus Bowl. Tennessee band still plays at halftime, but with a shortened performance.

[Edit to note that DeGraw is apparently not considered a country singer. Thanks to all who pointed this out below.]

Lots of folks in the band community, who were excited about making this trip and playing at this venue are not happy about it. And with good reason, IMHO.

Last edited:
Hope you get sucked into a sousaphone.

bill-hader-keith-morrison.gif

To make way for a country music performance, the Iowa band will play pre-game only at the Citrus Bowl. Tennessee band still plays at halftime, but with a shortened performance.

Lots of folks in the band community, who were excited about making this trip and playing at this venue are not happy about it. And with good reason, IMHO.

College football is turning more and more into the NFL, and it suuuuuucks!

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars will it cost to bring the band to play for a few minutes before people are in seats?

Leave them home. Bands add very little other than entertaining at halftime to 1/2 the stadium.
Maybe it’s time to put the HMB out to pasture. They don’t travel to road games anymore (not even Ames, though there’s at least a valid reason for it). And it’s not like the HMB is remotely entertaining like the BDBITL or those HBCU drumlines.

I don't have a kid in the band or anything but they've gotten a lot more entertaining over the years and they really do add to the college football atmoshphere. Kids spend a lot of time practicing to perform and I think that they should be given a real chance to perform.

Who cares. They rehashed the Metallica thing for the BTCG halftime show. What are they gonna play, the Taylor Swift songs?

Bands typically have all their shows set before the season starts. They aren't going to write an entirely new show/ drill for the Big Ten Championship

Reactions: SB_SB
Maybe it’s time to put the HMB out to pasture. They don’t travel to road games anymore (not even Ames, though there’s at least a valid reason for it). And it’s not like the HMB is remotely entertaining like the BDBITL or those HBCU drumlines.
Yeah, much better having super loud rock music blasting through the speakers. Need more taco lifts, too. How about more commercials on the video boards?

Reactions: LinusPF
Struck a nerve with MeetTheFerentzes lmao!
I just find it fascinating how people can have such a negative attitude toward a huge group of people they don’t even know, especially when they work hard to entertain and (in this case) bleed black and gold. Usually a lot of projecting/compensating involved. I’m excited to hear about @GOHOX69 and his super cool college days and continued awesome life that puts him in position to refer to them as “losers.”

What's the gripe here? Are they performing. yes. Are they getting rewarded for someone else's hard work yes.

So our concern is the timing of their performance. LOL

The necessity and cost of a band at football is really not worth it anymore.

I just find it fascinating how people can have such a negative attitude toward a huge group of people they don’t even know, especially when they work hard to entertain and (in this case) bleed black and gold. Usually a lot of projecting/compensating involved. I’m excited to hear about @GOHOX69 and his super cool college days and continued awesome life that puts him in position to refer to them as “losers.”
A band person used to work with me. She was insufferable. Ugh.

A band person used to work with me. She was insufferable. Ugh.
That's your answer? You once knew one member of a group that you didn't get along with, so now you say anyone who has ever been a member of that group (thousands and thousands of people) is a loser? You gotta do better than that.

That's your answer? You once knew one member of a group that you didn't get along with, so now you say anyone who has ever been a member of that group (thousands and thousands of people) is a loser? You gotta do better than that.
I'll try, just for you. Let's just say the attitude she effused about her and her bandmates was ingratiating. So what instrument do you blow or suck? Band in high school, especially marching band, was the province of untalented hacks who couldn't make it into orchestra. Are you one of those?

The necessity and cost of a band at football is really not worth it anymore.
I'd love to hear more about this. What do you use to measure "necessity" of a college marching band, and when exactly did it become "really not worth it?" And why would someone who has no financial investment in such a thing care? Thankfully you're not involved in any of these decisions; those who are are making better choices.

Last edited:
I'll try, just for you. Let's just say the attitude she effused about her and her bandmates was ingratiating. So what instrument do you blow or suck? Band in high school, especially marching band, was the province of untalented hacks who couldn't make it into orchestra. Are you one of those?
Don't stop there. You still need to tell everyone about your awesome life that allows you to call all these kids "losers." There have been people that I have come across in my life that have grated on me that I could pigeon-hole into every category imaginable; doesn't mean I feel everyone with that association is a "loser." So I'd like to know more about your special life.

Reactions: HawkGem11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT