ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa band relegated to pregame only at Citrus Bowl

Upon further reflection, I have decided that I care less about the HMB not performing at halftime of the bowl game than I care about markfromj's non-caring about HawkRCID's indifference on the HMB performing before the game and not at halftime.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

You explain their necessity to me. It's a football game. Band does not equal football, hence not a necessity for the game to happen.
As to financial investment: does the band make money or spend it? they always going to lose money. Who pays for some of the university of iowa... taxpayers.
I don't care about the band, could care less if they are there. My issue is simply why do we give a F when they participate if they are there.
You're the one who brought up necessity, so you explain what you meant. No one has ever claimed that bands being present were necessary for football games to happen. You also don't need cheerleaders, dancers, a mascot, ads, piped-in music, TV cameras, fans....

Marching band is funded by the Athletic Dept, which is self-sufficient, so spare me with your tax dollars bullsh*t.

vast majority? how are the bands in the nfl
i only take issue with the line of thinking that our band has to be at the half.
I have no idea what you're talking about. What do NFL games have to do with college fans and marching bands?

ironic. the free trip is what is about for the band too.
Never said that the privilege of travel was not a thing; why is this ironic?

God damn man were you the drum major or something? I’ve never see someone get so upset about people making fun of band kids(also a tradition as old as time).
Aren't you the dipsh*t who claimed that KF didn't have the authority to fire his own OC? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!

Edit - I agree, morons like yourself at football games has always been a thing.

Aren't you the dipsh*t who claimed that KF didn't have the authority to fire his own OC? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!

Edit - I agree, morons like yourself at football games has always been a thing.
No you missed my point of that post.(I probably didn't explain myself well) Everyone was saying Beth had to do it now and if she didn't, that once we went 10-2 that Kirk would have found a way to keep Brian blaming injuries or whatever else, when in reality it wouldn't have been up to him to keep Brian anyway.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
How many hundreds of thousands of dollars will it cost to bring the band to play for a few minutes before people are in seats?

Leave them home. Bands add very little other than entertaining at halftime to 1/2 the stadium.
Totally agree, save a few bucks

I always thought this board was insufferable, but now it all makes sense why. I never realized there were so many band nerds.
Brilliant post. GOHOX hasn’t shared all his awesomeness with us, so maybe you will. Describe, in detail, what makes them losers/nerds, and then share all your awesomeness with us in what makes you anything but that. Take as much time and space as you need.

Brilliant post. GOHOX hasn’t shared all his awesomeness with us, so maybe you will. Describe, in detail, what makes them losers/nerds, and then share all your awesomeness with us in what makes you anything but that. Take as much time and space as you need.
Nah, I'm not going to dox myself like that. But the defining characteristic of an insufferable band nerd is the belief that they're so important that the crowd at a football game is there to see their show.

I am amazed at all the band hatred here. The biggest advantage of college ball over the NFL is the atmosphere, and the band is a huge part of that atmosphere. Even as a cynical teenager, when I heard our HS marching band entering the stadium playing the school song it got me all pumped up.

And for the really cynical among you, the band scholarships help with Title IX requirements, I believe.

Nah, I'm not going to dox myself like that. But the defining characteristic of an insufferable band nerd is the belief that they're so important that the crowd at a football game is there to see their show.
No one thinks that so just stop. Pretty certain you’re another miserable person who tries to make himself feel better by putting others down.

I usually just look forward to the band performance being over so we can watch more football. I like the band for between plays, etc. as background noise, which is integral to the college football atmosphere. IMO that's what the band brings, in-game enhancement to the experience.

I have no idea who this singer is and will look forward to his performance being over too.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
I am amazed at all the band hatred here. The biggest advantage of college ball over the NFL is the atmosphere, and the band is a huge part of that atmosphere. Even as a cynical teenager, when I heard our HS marching band entering the stadium playing the school song it got me all pumped up.

And for the really cynical among you, the band scholarships help with Title IX requirements, I believe.
I don't get it either. What's next...the cheerleaders. I guess some love leaning into a tired stereotype to make themselves feel better.
As for the band scholarships, what are you talking about? The band is made up of a variety of students, most are not music majors. It has nothing to do with title IX.

I don't get it either. What's next...the cheerleaders. I guess some love leaning into a tired stereotype to make themselves feel better.
As for the band scholarships, what are you talking about? The band is made up of a variety of students, most are not music majors. It has nothing to do with title IX.

I consider any activity that enjoys both male and female participation a positive pertaining Title IX.

Colleges with football teams start WAY behind the eight-ball for Title IX compliance, because dozens of only males are getting scholarships. Any activity that is an even mix of male/female helps move the % of males down. Any activity that is majority female helps even more.

I consider any activity that enjoys both male and female participation a positive pertaining Title IX.

Colleges with football teams start WAY behind the eight-ball for Title IX compliance, because dozens of only males are getting scholarships. Any activity that is an even mix of male/female helps move the % of males down. Any activity that is majority female helps even more.
Band members can get scholarships but I don't think these are considered athletic scholarships. So it doesn't count toward toward the disparity College football gives you.

To make way for a country music performance, the Iowa band will play pre-game only at the Citrus Bowl. Tennessee band still plays at halftime, but with a shortened performance.

[Edit to note that DeGraw is apparently not considered a country singer. Thanks to all who pointed this out below.]

Lots of folks in the band community, who were excited about making this trip and playing at this venue are not happy about it. And with good reason, IMHO.

Bad memories of being sidelined at the Orange Bowl for Shaggy of all people. Certainly I commiserate with them. Add in that they hardly play during the game anymore. Kinnick just GOTS to read all those ads. The band is hardly there anymore.

Just one more sign of the advent of NFL-Lite.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Band members can get scholarships but I don't think these are considered athletic scholarships. So it doesn't count toward toward the disparity College football gives you.

Could be right. I don’t know the details. I do know Title IX applies to everything, not just sports. But it’s possible band scholarships won’t offset inequities in athletics.

Cd8rL8EWEAA8cTy.jpg

MeetTheFerentzes when someone makes a joke about band kids..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT