ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa band relegated to pregame only at Citrus Bowl

The only scholarship directly associated with the marching band is the Golden Girl. She gets a full scholly. For the rest, it's just an extra class/activity. (1 credit hour) There's also a small stipend but it's not much. There may be music majors in the band who are on scholarship related to their major...but not specific to the Marching Band.
THERE'S A STIPEND?? Can I petition for back pay? There was a stipend for pep band in my day but not HMB. And given the band's size has only increased, I doubt they were hurting for members. And I do believe music majors are required to do HMB for either one or two seasons, so you can argue any music scholarship is in part tied to that.

What's even worse is that, if the current band director thinks the same way LKK did, they won't even do the traditional pregame. They'll insert a "stand and do nothing while the Dance Team does their thing" song.

The Cheez-It Citrus Bowl FB page just announced that both marching bands will perform on the field for both pregame and halftime. Thanks to all of you for making your voices heard and making this change happen.

In a related story, the Cheez-It Citrus Bowl FB has just announced that the Iowa and Tennessee marching bands will be allotted 1 minute and 45 seconds each for their halftime shows.

• Haha
Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
In a related story, the Cheez-It Citrus Bowl FB has just announced that the Iowa and Tennessee marching bands will be allotted 1 minute and 45 seconds each for their halftime shows.
5 minutes. Not super happy with the compromise, but at least they listened to the masses. I doubt they’ll try pulling something like this again. Thanks for supporting those kids.

When playing an SEC team, Iowa is lucky they did not tell the team to only show up during pregame. And the fans.

5m is practically nothing for an MB, but hey I'll give the CB credit for the adjustment. Not like they can kick WhatsHisName to the curb at this point.

Don’t care and almost nobody does if everybody was honest.

Have the band play at Kinnick on a nice Saturday when the football team is on its bye week. Let the fans in for free. Guess the attendance.

And no offense to the band members. Myself and my family have participated in lots of activities where the public could watch if they wanted, and didn’t.

Last edited:
Thank you for signing the petition and showing support for such a time-honored tradition. Those kids bleed black and gold. Thanks again.
I don't think anyone here disputes that the HMB aren't Hawkeyes - they are. Many of them (if not most) paid their way (either partially or in full).

Maybe I'm speaking for myself, but I find that the HMB is a shell of its former self. It rarely travels anymore. There's nothing exciting or cutting-edge about the band (granted, that's not unique to Iowa's band). I will say that Iowa's band is hardly unique in this regard. For all the money the university gets towards athletics and related activities, we should expect something better than a high-school repertoire.

There's quality, tradition-steeped bands like Ohio State's, and quite a few in the SEC, that put most of the rest of the B1G's bands (and probably most other P5 conferences) to shame. I can't say with any certainty that they're better-funded because the bands and drumlines of quite a few HBCUs only have a fraction of the funding that Power 5 schools get, but they certainly know how to put on a show. Sometimes those bands are the highlight of the football games - there's no shortage of pride.

If this is the future of the HMB - limited (if any) traveling, vanilla songs/shows, then I doubt a ton of tears would be shed if it were to disband (no pun intended). Going from a "blah" live band to pre-recorded, piped-in music would only be a lateral move atmosphere-wise, but it would save money.

I don't think anyone here disputes that the HMB aren't Hawkeyes - they are. Many of them (if not most) paid their way (either partially or in full).

Maybe I'm speaking for myself, but I find that the HMB is a shell of its former self. It rarely travels anymore. There's nothing exciting or cutting-edge about the band (granted, that's not unique to Iowa's band). I will say that Iowa's band is hardly unique in this regard. For all the money the university gets towards athletics and related activities, we should expect something better than a high-school repertoire.

There's quality, tradition-steeped bands like Ohio State's, and quite a few in the SEC, that put most of the rest of the B1G's bands (and probably most other P5 conferences) to shame. I can't say with any certainty that they're better-funded because the bands and drumlines of quite a few HBCUs only have a fraction of the funding that Power 5 schools get, but they certainly know how to put on a show. Sometimes those bands are the highlight of the football games - there's no shortage of pride.

If this is the future of the HMB - limited (if any) traveling, vanilla songs/shows, then I doubt a ton of tears would be shed if it were to disband (no pun intended). Going from a "blah" live band to pre-recorded, piped-in music would only be a lateral move atmosphere-wise, but it would save money.

The band is a lot better than previous years. Their Caitlin Clark tribute went viral, their Metallica show is a finalist for an award. They even had a combined show with Ohio State last year. I'm not sure what more they can do.

As for travel, they went to Ohio State last year. Not sure where they were supposed to go this year. They weren't going to Iowa State or Wrigley Field. They weren't traveling to Nebraska over Thanksgiving break. I can't remember the last time any away band went to Wisconsin. Their only other option was Penn State.

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Don’t care and almost nobody does if everybody was honest.
Amazing. Marching bands have existed for over 100 years, every college with a football team has one, and there was unprecedented backlash over the Citrus Bowl cutting down marching band time....yet nobody cares. Maybe your anecdotal experience doesn't quite match reality.

Have the band play at Kinnick on a nice Saturday when the football team is on its bye week. Let the fans in for free. Guess the attendance.
No one has ever argued that 70,000 are there just to see the band so don't be stupid. Drum and bugle corps competitions are pretty well attended.

And no offense to the band members. Myself and my family have participated in lots of activities where the public could watch if they wanted, and didn’t.
Good for you. You don't like marching bands. Thanks for coming here to get it off your chest.

Maybe I'm speaking for myself
At least you're acknowledging that, unlike the last dude.

I find that the HMB is a shell of its former self. It rarely travels anymore. There's nothing exciting or cutting-edge about the band (granted, that's not unique to Iowa's band). I will say that Iowa's band is hardly unique in this regard. For all the money the university gets towards athletics and related activities, we should expect something better than a high-school repertoire.

Ohio St is the standard and everyone loves Florida A&M and the other HBCU bands.

But if you haven't noticed a big improvement in the HMB the past 5 years or so, then you are intentionally not paying attention. Funny that Metallica compliments their performances, but they're not any good for you. Calling it a H.S. repertoire is absolute and total bullsh*t and only shows your ignorance and anti-band agenda.

Sounds like you would like the band to travel more. Let the Athletic Department know.

The Hawkeye Marching Band director would love to hear about your innovative ideas (I'm actually being serious). Let him know what you would like to see. Fan feedback would be well-received. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a way to contact him on the university's website.

If you don't think there would be outrage from thousands and thousands of people nationwide if the University of Iowa or any major university suddenly decided to eliminate their marching band.,,,again, you're just showing your personal opinion and actually have no idea.

I'm always fascinated with people interested in saving money that isn't theirs to spend.

Again, thanks to both @onlyTheObvious and @fezzador for signing the petition to help instigate the change that the Citrus Bowl organizers have made.

The Hawkeye Marching Band director would love to hear about your innovative ideas (I'm actually being serious). Let him know what you would like to see. Fan feedback would be well-received. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a way to contact him on the university's website.

If you don't think there would be outrage from thousands and thousands of people nationwide if the University of Iowa or any major university suddenly decided to eliminate their marching band.,,,again, you're just showing your personal opinion and actually have no idea.

That's all well and good, but I highly doubt I have any ideas worth listening to. Even if I did, I'm just a pissant so my input wouldn't matter anyway. I'm not the multimillionaire with connections half of GIAOT claims to be.

And I apologize if my apathy comes across as 'anti-band'. I know the kids have to put in extra hours of practice in addition to their studies, but get very few of the benefits their athlete counterparts get (i.e. full-ride schollies).

And you know what they say opinions - they're like buttholes. Everyone's got one, and they all stink.

So you know the correct meaning of the word “ingratiating” now?

Mission accomplished

My two cents are that the bands are an essential part of college football, playing fight songs, victory songs, and between play songs. Halftime shows are not even what they do best, IMO, it’s all the other stuff

And yes, people would definitely miss that if it were gone. College football isn’t the same without Script Ohio, or Notre Dame fight song, or even Iowa’s Imperial March on 3rd down. Want to see a game without marching bands? See an NFL game
If we are worried about meanings of words, maybe look up essential. Bands are most certainly not essential. Players, yes...Officials, yes.... coaches, yes...... Band. no.

I don’t dislike the band. I just don’t care at all.

It’s like tennis, it’s there and I ignore it.

Needing to classify everybody as a hater shows you have inferiority complex.

I don’t dislike the band. I just don’t care at all.

It’s like tennis, it’s there and I ignore it.

Needing to classify everybody as a hater shows you have inferiority complex.
If you don't care, that's fine; I don't expect everyone to appreciate it.

Saying "nobody cares" is why you got called out. I've also called out those in this thread taking ignorant cheap shots at band or the kids themselves. No inferiority complex; I'm very comfortable with who I am; it would have been extremely easy for me to avoid this thread if I weren't. I can't let misinformation go unchecked, that's all.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
If you don't care, that's fine; I don't expect everyone to appreciate it.

Saying "nobody cares" is why you got called out. I've also called out those in this thread taking ignorant cheap shots at band or the kids themselves. No inferiority complex; I'm very comfortable with who I am; it would have been extremely easy for me to avoid this thread if I weren't. I can't let misinformation go unchecked, that's all.
I will stick with nobody cares.

How many less football tickets do they sell if there is no band?

If the band performed at Kinnick on a bye week how many people show up even if it’s free?

We all know the answers. The truth isn’t controversial. You may not like it but it is what it is.

If the band performed at Kinnick on a bye week how many people show up even if it’s free?

We all know the answers. The truth isn’t controversial. You may not like it but it is what it is.

Enough people cared for the Citrus Bowl to change it's stance on pregame and halftime for the bands.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes

As a fossil myself, I agree the band is a shell of its former self. And what it was in my day is a shell of what it was before that. Ohio State loves to do flashy gimmicks. I wish they'd focus more on quality than sizzle. But sadly, the entire world of marching band-dom has become Show Choir on Grass. All that said, the fault is on the gameday organization and cutting all the traditions for more ad space.
The band is a lot better than previous years. Their Caitlin Clark tribute went viral, their Metallica show is a finalist for an award. They even had a combined show with Ohio State last year. I'm not sure what more they can do.

As for travel, they went to Ohio State last year. Not sure where they were supposed to go this year. They weren't going to Iowa State or Wrigley Field. They weren't traveling to Nebraska over Thanksgiving break. I can't remember the last time any away band went to Wisconsin. Their only other option was Penn State.
The Metallica show was, as the kids say, a cringe-fest. The whole competition just goes to show how much of a sorry sellout Metallica is. Sadly, this kind of commercialized dreck is what the masses lap up.

The Iowa State thing needs to be fixed. Both bands should be at every CyHawk football game.

As a fossil myself, I agree the band is a shell of its former self. And what it was in my day is a shell of what it was before that. Ohio State loves to do flashy gimmicks. I wish they'd focus more on quality than sizzle. But sadly, the entire world of marching band-dom has become Show Choir on Grass. All that said, the fault is on the gameday organization and cutting all the traditions for more ad space.

The Metallica show was, as the kids say, a cringe-fest. The whole competition just goes to show how much of a sorry sellout Metallica is. Sadly, this kind of commercialized dreck is what the masses lap up.

The Iowa State thing needs to be fixed. Both bands should be at every CyHawk football game.

I mean, it's their most viewed halftime show on YouTube, so these "gimmicky" halftime shows are what gets views

Repeating yourself doesn’t strengthen your argument. The truth is that there are a heck of a lot of people that care. I’ve already provided the proof. You may not like it but it is what it is.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

“Back when the band was good“…blah, blah, blah. The Metallica show was awesome. Those kids really worked hard putting it together. Be sure to let Eric Bush know what a strong supporter you are.

Getoffmylawn.gif

Amazing. Marching bands have existed for over 100 years, every college with a football team has one, and there was unprecedented backlash over the Citrus Bowl cutting down marching band time....yet nobody cares. Maybe your anecdotal experience doesn't quite match reality.

No one has ever argued that 70,000 are there just to see the band so don't be stupid. Drum and bugle corps competitions are pretty well attended.

Good for you. You don't like marching bands. Thanks for coming here to get it off your chest.

At least you're acknowledging that, unlike the last dude.

Ohio St is the standard and everyone loves Florida A&M and the other HBCU bands.

But if you haven't noticed a big improvement in the HMB the past 5 years or so, then you are intentionally not paying attention. Funny that Metallica compliments their performances, but they're not any good for you. Calling it a H.S. repertoire is absolute and total bullsh*t and only shows your ignorance and anti-band agenda.

Sounds like you would like the band to travel more. Let the Athletic Department know.

I'm always fascinated with people interested in saving money that isn't theirs to spend.

Again, thanks to both @onlyTheObvious and @fezzador for signing the petition to help instigate the change that the Citrus Bowl organizers have made.
I signed and was proud as heck to d it! Love the Marching band and hope they continue to get support! And yes, 5 Minutes is a joke.

Should they stop bringing cheerleaders, the dance team, or mascot to bowl games?
Should they stop bringing cheerleaders, the dance team, or mascot to bowl games?
If your goal is ROI. Leave the offensive squad at home.
If you want to generate an even greater ROI, leave the entire offensive squad at home. At least the band and spirit squad provide some entertainment.

“Back when the band was good“…blah, blah, blah. The Metallica show was awesome. Those kids really worked hard putting it together. Be sure to let Eric Bush know what a strong supporter you are.

Getoffmylawn.gif
What about the show did you like? The cosplayers? The band standing still for long sections playing poor cutups of songs over 30 years old? Or the smoke machine?

What about the show did you like? The cosplayers? The band standing still for long sections playing poor cutups of songs over 30 years old? Or the smoke machine?
LOL. The entire show was great. They did exactly what they needed to put themselves in position for what would be a great payday. If you don't recognize that the band is in a major upswing with their current director, then you are truly just a curmudgeon who just wants things to be like they used to.

I'm sure the HMB director would love to hear about how you want to bring back footsie and the 12th version of Malaguena.

What a show:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT