ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Nebraska

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa heads west to Lincoln to take on Nebraska. Nebraska has been really good lately, so this will be a tough match up for Iowa. Nebraska's starters have been solid, in a lot of games they've put guys on base early but been able to get out of it. Sunday's game will be on BTN.

Rick Heller is 5-1 against Nebraska since taking the Iowa job.

Friday - 6:35pm - Nick Gallagher
Saturday - 6:05pm - Ryan Erickson
Sunday - 2:05pm - Cole McDonald - Game on BTN

-Nebraska spring game is on Saturday. So I'd expect a big crowd on Friday and Saturday night.
-Iowa gives free bases like they did on Sat/Sun last weekend, then we don't have a shot.

Would probably be good-sized crowds even without FB, the Huskers like their baseball.

Iowa wins 7-6 in 10 innings over Nebraska. If you had told me Iowa would walk eight, and walk in what? Three or four runs? I'd tell you no chance they win.

Nick Gallagher did not have his best stuff tonight and only went 3 1/3, giving up four hits, 5 runs (3 earned), walked 8, 2 K's, and 2 wild pitches.
-Iowa could've got out of the 4th with no damage, but an error on a DP ball led to things spiraling out of control.
-Zach Daniels threw 2 1/3, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 walks, 1 K
-Nick Nelson threw 2 IP, 2 H, 4 K's. Nelson was key in this game as he settled things down. His style of delivery made Nebraska look foolish at times.
-Josh Martsching threw 2 1/3, 1 walk, 3 K's, gets credited with the W.

Iowa's made a living off the long ball tonight, all to left center.
-Jake Adams was 3-5 with a solo HR
-Chris Whelan was 2-5 with a 2 run HR
-Tyler Cropley was 1-4 with a 3 run HR
-Mitchell Boe 2-5 with an RBI in the 10th on a single

Iowas is 21-11 on the year and 4-3 in the B1G. Iowa and Nebraska play at 6:05pm tomorrow with Ryan Erickson starting for Iowa.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Iowa wins 7-6 in 10 innings over Nebraska. If you had told me Iowa would walk eight, and walk in what? Three or four runs? I'd tell you no chance they win.

Nick Gallagher did not have his best stuff tonight and only went 3 1/3, giving up four hits, 5 runs (3 earned), walked 8, 2 K's, and 2 wild pitches.
-Iowa could've got out of the 4th with no damage, but an error on a DP ball led to things spiraling out of control.
-Zach Daniels threw 2 1/3, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 walks, 1 K
-Nick Nelson threw 2 IP, 2 H, 4 K's. Nelson was key in this game as he settled things down. His style of delivery made Nebraska look foolish at times.
-Josh Martsching threw 2 1/3, 1 walk, 3 K's, gets credited with the W.

Iowa's made a living off the long ball tonight, all to left center.
-Jake Adams was 3-5 with a solo HR
-Chris Whelan was 2-5 with a 2 run HR
-Tyler Cropley was 1-4 with a 3 run HR
-Mitchell Boe 2-5 with an RBI in the 10th on a single

Iowas is 21-11 on the year and 4-3 in the B1G. Iowa and Nebraska play at 6:05pm tomorrow with Ryan Erickson starting for Iowa.
Should be fun to listen to am 590 on Monday if Iowa takes this series.

Should be fun to listen to am 590 on Monday if Iowa takes this series.

Is it worse than Gary Sharp on 1620? That man loves to trash Iowa when he has a chance. I remember back in 2015 when Iowa baseball had their regional run and had just swept Nebraska. He was really trashing Iowa fans the Monday after because "they never cared about baseball before"....

I wanted to tell that moron of course you're going to get more casual fans start to pay attention. Remember when Nebraska become relevant under DVH and people were wearing their Scott Frost jerseys to games?

Iowa could really use a quality start tonight from Erickson. We used four pitchers last night and threw a lot of pitches.

With Erickson starting off the top of my head we'd have Shimp, Robison, and Ritter as the first ones available would be my guess.

Go Hawks!

Iowa could really use a quality start tonight from Erickson. We used four pitchers last night and threw a lot of pitches.

With Erickson starting off the top of my head we'd have Shimp, Robison, and Ritter as the first ones available would be my guess.

Go Hawks!

Shimp is out indefinitely with mono. Bullpen is even thinner for the next few weeks.

Iowa's bats been coming up with big hits with two outs all series long. Hawks are pretty salty offensively.

Iowa beats Nebraska 5-3 and takes the series! Iowa is now 22-11 and 5-3 in B1G play. Iowa will go for the sweep at 2pm on Sunday on BTN.

-Ryan Erickson threw 6+ IP, 6 H, 3 R (2 earned), 2 Walks, 5 K, Gets the W
-Shane Ritter threw 3 IP, 0 H, 2 walks, 1 K, Gets a 3 inning save

Erickson was pretty solid tonight I thought. I also didn't think it was a balk on him in the 2nd inning. Ritter was solid too, this is just what Iowa needed headed into Sunday.

-Jake Adams was 2-4 with 2 RBIs
-Robert Neustrom 2-5 with 1 RBI
-Austin Guzzo was 1-5 with 1 RBI
-Matt Hoeg was 1-3 with 1 RBI
-Chris Whelan was 2-4

Iowa had some big two out hits tonight when was great.

Austin Guzzo had some well hit balls tonight that Luis Alvarado for Nebraska was able to track down. Alvarado has really been a thorn in Iowa's side this weekend.

Iowa beats Nebraska 5-3 and takes the series! Iowa is now 22-11 and 5-3 in B1G play. Iowa will go for the sweep at 2pm on Sunday on BTN.

-Ryan Erickson threw 6+ IP, 6 H, 3 R (2 earned), 2 Walks, 5 K, Gets the W
-Shane Ritter threw 3 IP, 0 H, 2 walks, 1 K, Gets a 3 inning save

Erickson was pretty solid tonight I thought. I also didn't think it was a balk on him in the 2nd inning. Ritter was solid too, this is just what Iowa needed headed into Sunday.

-Jake Adams was 2-4 with 2 RBIs
-Robert Neustrom 2-5 with 1 RBI
-Austin Guzzo was 1-5 with 1 RBI
-Matt Hoeg was 1-3 with 1 RBI
-Chris Whelan was 2-4

Iowa had some big two out hits tonight when was great.

Austin Guzzo had some well hit balls tonight that Luis Alvarado for Nebraska was able to track down. Alvarado has really been a thorn in Iowa's side this weekend.

Great series win. A sweep is huge, Nebraska was playing really well coming into the series. Impressed by the growing depth of the Hawkeye lineup. Boe is getting on base, Cropley is hitting, Guzzo knocked in a run and easily could have had 2 other hits but for the great plays by Alvarado. Who does Iowa have out of the bullpen today? Could Martsching and Nelsen give Iowa an inning today after pitching on Friday?

Martsching would be unlikely. He threw nearly 40 pitches in relief. Nelson would be a possibility. This could be a case of reaching for a midweek starter out of the bullpen today and eliminating any bullpen they might throw later this week. The coaching staff can always "all-staff" the Wednesday game against Bradley.

I think Nelson would be available, he went to the bullpen last night in the 7th when Ritter looked like he might struggle to get out of it. I think we are probably looking at McDonald then Robison.

My guess is that Elijah Wood starts vs Bradley.

Great series win. A sweep is huge, Nebraska was playing really well coming into the series. Impressed by the growing depth of the Hawkeye lineup. Boe is getting on base, Cropley is hitting, Guzzo knocked in a run and easily could have had 2 other hits but for the great plays by Alvarado. Who does Iowa have out of the bullpen today? Could Martsching and Nelsen give Iowa an inning today after pitching on Friday?

Boe has been pretty big the last 3-4 weeks.

Ruled out today Nick, Ryan and Shane. Those are obvious. An inning is possible for anyone else.

It's great watching the Husker fans melt down .... they thought a series sweep was in the bag .... arrogance and delusion knows no bounds with them. As usual they are calling for firings ... Erstad is terrible, fire the AD, Iowa is terrible, etc etc etc .....

Iowa loses in game three 8-6. It was a back and fourth game from the mid innings on and Nebraska game out on top. Iowa wins the series though, is 22-12 and 5-4 on the year. Iowa travels to Bradley next.

Iowa led 6-5 late, but could not hold on.
-Robert Neustrom was 2-5 with 2 RBIs
-Matt Hoeg 2-4 with 2 RBIs
-Jake Adams was 2-5

Iowa hosts Rutgers in B1G play next weekend.

It's great watching the Husker fans melt down .... they thought a series sweep was in the bag .... arrogance and delusion knows no bounds with them. As usual they are calling for firings ... Erstad is terrible, fire the AD, Iowa is terrible, etc etc etc .....

They were REALLY obnoxious today compared to Fri/Sat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT