ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa basketball team pauses workouts after two positive COVID-19 tests

Apr 8, 2003
IOWA MEN’S BASKETBALL PAUSES WORKOUTS

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa Athletics Department announced today that the men’s basketball team has paused workouts for 14 days after two student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, July 27.

Following the positive test result, protocol established by UI Athletics and medical staff, including contact tracing procedures, is being followed to ensure the safety of all UI Athletics student-athletes and staff. This mandatory protocol also includes isolation for the individuals who test positive, and quarantine for those individuals who might have been exposed to someone with the virus.

Many so-called adults have difficulty adhering to recommendations. In no way can it be expected that 19 year olds will isolate themselves and follow strict observance of distancing, mask use, hand washing, etc.
Any strategy to minimize exposure in this population predicated on them following guidelines at a high rate is doomed to failure.

Many so-called adults have difficulty adhering to recommendations. In no way can it be expected that 19 year olds will isolate themselves and follow strict observance of distancing, mask use, hand washing, etc.
Any strategy to minimize exposure in this population predicated on them following guidelines at a high rate is doomed to failure.

In no way? Yes, way...…….just saying.
#gohawks

Yeah, actually its better in just about every other country in the world. The US has been the textbook definition of a massive failure as it relates to responding to Covid.
Well that would be if we're getting accurate information. Do you really believe that China and Russia for example are sharing accurate information on testing etc... because I certainly take little stock in anything coming from there......

Certainly, joining an NBA team has got to be risker, in the pandemic time, than being well taken care of by UIHC and UI Athletic training.

#gohawks

Uh, No! The NBA is playing in the bubble with the most testing and most restrictive environment. With college players there is no control after they leave practice, but there is in the bubble. Not saying it is perfect, but most likely the best possible.

Reactions: anon_qczsdwtnv6esw
Do you really believe that China and Russia for example are sharing accurate information on testing etc... because I certainly take little stock in anything coming from there......

I don't blame you. Those damn Chinese and Russians are lying scumbags just like that damn Trump. I certainly take NO stock in anything coming from there--the White House, that is. LOL at you.

It's not the Russians or the Chinese who have let this country fall into the virus abyss. It's Americans who belong to the cult of Trump, the man who lies about everything, including the pandemic in general and testing in particular. Hell, he even claimed the Yankees invited him to throw out a first pitch, but he declined. The Yankees, OTH, said they never even invited the liar-in-chief. Of course, he was jealous because Dr. Fauci accepted an invitation to throw out the first pitch for the Washington Nationals. Naturally, the president had to lie to save face, as any 7-year-old would.

And thanks to the so-called president, MLB may be shut down soon, football is unlikely to happen, and Iowa's would-be championship basketball team is in quarantine. How about tryin' to take those facts for a spin?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't blame you. Those damn Chinese and Russians are lying scumbags just like that damn Trump. I certainly take NO stock in anything coming from there--the White House, that is. LOL at you.

It's not the Russians or the Chinese who have let this country fall into the virus abyss. It's Americans who belong to the cult of Trump, the man who lies about everything, including the pandemic in general and testing in particular.
Would it be possible for you to ever make a post that didn't reference Trump????? I mean good Lord I didn't reference anything about him, just that I don't trust the Chinese or the Russians for sharing accurate information, and as always you have to turn everything toward the white house in DC. What is your schtick going to be like in January when you need to find a new person to blame all of the worlds problems on???

I thought this was a basketball board. Politics. Sigh...

.04% of total population has died in U.S. so far. That's four hundredth of one percent. No hospitals overrun, vast, diverse country, etc. Things are going pretty well it seems if you don't insert Pelosi or Trump into the convo.

Yeah, actually its better in just about every other country in the world. The US has been the textbook definition of a massive failure as it relates to responding to Covid.

This isn't really true. Europe had a colossal failure of its healthcare system back in March-May that resulted in a much higher death rate. New York in the US was our greatest failure. After Europe started easing restrictions their testing went down while ours maintained or increased in many areas. Today Spain is seeing its highest numbers since March. People are walking into hospitals with symptoms. France likewise has seen a rise in walk ins with symptoms and now their numbers are back to mid May levels. In Europe right now they are worried about a massive 2nd wave. If they start testing again at levels similar to March and April it's likely you will see 10% or higher positivity rates according to many European medical experts. They're urging their governments to increase testing now in hopes to fight off a 2nd wave by identifying hot spots. European countries like Spain right now are afraid it will ruin their tourism industry.

If Europe has another wave and it expands out past Spain and France it's going to make things even harder here in the states.

Spain has had a little over 280,000 cases but has had over 28,400 deaths. Florida has almost double the cases of Spain but only a little over 6,100 deaths. Pretty crazy comparison.

Last edited:

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa Athletics Department announced today that the men’s basketball team has paused workouts for 14 days after two student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, July 27.

Following the positive test result, protocol established by UI Athletics and medical staff, including contact tracing procedures, is being followed to ensure the safety of all UI Athletics student-athletes and staff. This mandatory protocol also includes isolation for the individuals who test positive, and quarantine for those individuals who might have been exposed to someone with the virus.

I do not work in medicine. I wonder what testing positive means? Does it mean someone has it? Does it mean that they have had it? Still contagious?

I am just asking. No need for angry replies.

I do not work in medicine. I wonder what testing positive means? Does it mean someone has it? Does it mean that they have had it? Still contagious?

It means that they previously tested negative but now are testing positive.

As we've been saying.........Iowa can't have nice things.

If we do get them......they were borrowed, and eventually we will have to give them back.

It's unfortunate.

It simply means their test was positive. There don’t seem to be many false positives and I’d guess the UI AD has access to a fairly specific test.

It doesn’t necessarily imply they have symptoms, are early or late in the course, or are contagious. Though they could be any or most of those things at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk
Reactions: Mr Duke Silver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT