ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City Mercy Hospital

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
To: All University of Iowa employees
From: Barbara J. Wilson, president; and Denise J. Jamieson, vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Like many hospitals nationwide, Mercy Iowa City has experienced significant financial challenges. Today, we share an update as to how we are supporting Mercy Iowa City following its filing this morning of a voluntarily proceeding through a structured bankruptcy.
We have always maintained great respect for Mercy Iowa City, knowing the vital role it has played in our community since 1873. As members of the same community, many of us know and care about people who work at Mercy Iowa City. We want you to know that leaders from the University of Iowa, UI Health Care, and Mercy Iowa City are working together to avoid significant disruption. Although many decisions will be in the hands of the bankruptcy court, we share a goal to preserve and enhance local and regional access to quality health care and jobs.
Included in Mercy Iowa City’s bankruptcy court filing is a reference to a letter of intent between Mercy Iowa City and the State of Iowa that outlines the potential to transition Mercy Iowa City to become part of UI Health Care. If the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, and the bankruptcy court approve this proposed affiliation between Mercy Iowa City and UI Health Care, we will begin planning to bring our two organizations together.
In the meantime, Mercy Iowa City will continue to see patients as its hospital proceeds through bankruptcy and we will prepare, to the extent permissible, for a potential future where our entities join as one to continue to serve the health care needs of Iowans.
We are only at the beginning of this process and recognize you will have many questions. We will provide you with regular updates and answers as we confirm details. This is a significant time for our region and our people as we work to preserve and enhance access to quality health care and jobs. Thank you for all you do to continue to provide quality care for Iowans.
Sincerely,
Barb and Denise

Bidenomics amirite? Lol

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Yes, but if done properly it is better than the alternative.
You should hear what is going on at the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center. 15 physicians have left and they have stopped advertising for new ones since no one applies.

The alternative, as you like to call it, is a disaster in the making.

• Wow
Reactions: cigaretteman
If the takeover is allowed, the Iowa GQPs will be able to blame the woke libs at the university for the financial problems.

The University of Iowa has signed a letter of intent to acquire “substantially all the operating facilities and key assets” of Mercy Iowa City — which has filed for bankruptcy — in hopes of ”preserving the continuity of care for patients and continuing opportunities for physicians and employees.“

Mercy on Monday filed a voluntary petition for reorganization in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Northern District of Iowa — and administrators expect to seek approval of the sale process with UI serving as the “stalking horse bidder.”

The goal, according to a Mercy news release, is to transition the 150-year-old community hospital and its employees to a new owner and operator that “intends to preserve the services provided by the hospital to the community.”

UIHC in 2022 offered $605 million to take ownership of the community hospital and make it the “centerpiece” of a new UIHC “community division,” according to an investigation by The Gazette.

That deal, though, fell through and never materialized. And Mercy, for the time being, remained in partnership with MercyOne, of Des Moines.

“Mercy Iowa City believes this plan is the best path forward to preserve our hospital operations,” Mercy CEO and board chairman Tom Clancy said in a news release Monday. “As we implement this plan, our dedicated Mercy Iowa City staff remain steadfast in their commitment to provide compassionate care to our community, just as we have since 1873.”

In announcing the bankruptcy filing and acquisition, Mercy officials confirmed the hospital and its clinics remain open — and employees, physicians, and other providers are continuing to focus on providing care to patients and the community.

Mark Toney — recently appointed as Mercy’s chief restructuring officer after the hospital hired ToneyKorf Partners LLC as its “health care turnaround professional and fiduciary” — in a statement Monday said a bondholder’s recent demand for a court-appointed receiver played into Mercy’s bankruptcy filing and the UIHC acquisition.

“The recent actions of one of our largest creditors has significantly and negatively impacted the hospital and resulted in this bankruptcy filing,” Toney said. “The board and management moved rapidly to secure a partner to maintain health care in our community.”

Daily News​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Delivered to your inbox every day

Clancy added a note of gratitude for UIHC — given the bondholder Preston Hollow Community Capitol, which invested $41.8 million in Mercy’s 2018 bond series, and Computershare Trust Company wanted Peter Chadwick of Berkeley Research Group to serve as Mercy’s receiver.

In court filings, the trust company and bondholder said Mercy owes $63 million on publicly-issued bonds and the receiver would "take operational control of the hospital facilities, maintain and preserve the bondholders’ real property and personal property collateral, receive and recover funds and proceeds constituting collateral, and, if necessary, conduct a process for the sale or monetization of the collateral and hospital facilities, including, without limitation, an affiliation, joint venture or some other strategic transaction with another health care provider or providers.“

“We are deeply appreciative of the university for finalizing an agreement that, if approved, will allow us to emerge from this process with a more sustainable future,” CEO Clancy said in a statement.

In arguing for a court-appointed receiver, the bondholder revealed “confidential” financial reports — showing, among other things, that Mercy was headed for a “cash horizon event” in mid- to late-October.

Documents show Mercy’s liquidity has dropped about $40 million, or 52 percent, over the last five months and its cash flow projections have plummeted from $18.4 million in June to a forecast $1.2 million by October.

Dipping below $5 million by September would put Mercy, according to its investors, at “a level insufficient to maintain ongoing operations.”

This has made way too much sense for way too long. UIHC needs capacity and Mercy was a ghost town the last time I went to visit someone….entire wings were dark it seemed like.

Now as far as doctors not applying to the UI….you can thank our state gov and climate for that. Elections have consequences.

I see some cannot resist "throwing stones" with their commentary, that is too bad, but this is a very complex situation and there are MANY fine people still working at Mercy Hospital and literally thousands of patients that still consider that their "home" hospital. So for all of them, I am sad to see this come to pass. But at the same time...one could see something big like this coming from a long ways back.

I am hopeful that it will continue in some recognizable form...but with the NL hospital now under construction, as a biggie, there are still many factors that will play out to see how Mercy looks going forward. Physician recruitment being way high on that list too.

I was born at Mercy, one of my parents passed at Mercy, and there were numerous trips over the years for a variety of reasons. But, it was a shell of a hospital. It was still okay for child birth. It was fine if you had a mild heart attack, or a broken bone or a planned surgery. Anything severe and you would have been guided to UIHC. If you made it to Mercy and declined, their number one goal was to stabilize you and get you to UIHC in case you expired in order to keep you off of their books as a patient death. Mercy was not there for severe cases.

A healthcare system designed all around profits instead of healthy people is bound to be a disaster, as our overall system is becoming here. This is despite having many great doctors and nurses(we should have far more, but the for profit system does not allow this).

Reactions: Ree4 and THE_DEVIL
We are way past due for universal healthcare.

This doesn't really do anything in that regard. BCBS is still there as is UHC. They are not going anywhere.

Instead of a doc, you get an NP through UI. If you do get a doc, they will only be there so long.

No more John Maxwell's.

The University of Iowa has revealed plans to acquire Mercy Hospital on the heels of the organization's recent bankruptcy filing.

Mercy "voluntarily" filed a bankruptcy petition, the company announced in a press release Monday morning. The 194-bed facility has served area residents since 1873.

“Mercy Iowa City believes this plan is the best path forward to preserve our hospital operations,” saidTom Clancy, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Mercy Iowa City in a press release. “As we implement this plan, our dedicated Mercy Iowa City staff remain steadfast in their commitment to provide compassionate care toour community.”

The State of Iowa Board of Regents will consider the university's proposed $20 million acquisition of Mercy's facilities and business operations at Tuesday morning's special session.

In an attached letter of intent filed in bankruptcy court, the hospital said the university plans to integrate the Mercy system into UI Health Care.

The University of Iowa's acquisition would integrate 14 buildings largely located on the Mercy Iowa City campus in addition to smaller offices in North Liberty, Kalona, Tipton and Williamsburg.

Among four proposals Mercy Iowa City entertained last year in its search for a partner was one from University of Iowa Health Care, offering over $605 million to take ownership of the community hospital and make it the “centerpiece” of a new UIHC “community division.”

The landmark deal, if it had materialized, would have ended a 137-year — at times contentious — separation dating to 1885, when UIHC’s founding medical department split from the Sister of Mercy Catholic order due to “different priorities.” And it would have struck at the heart of recent concerns aired by community hospitals in Eastern Iowa — including Mercy Iowa City — that UIHC increasingly aims to veer out of its advanced-care lane and compete with them for primary and secondary-care patients.

“When a state funded academic and medical institution crosses the line into providing the same primary and secondary care services which are provided by community hospitals, it threatens the continued existence of other providers; it reduces patient choice and access to care; and it creates an atmosphere or an environment of distrust among possible collaborators,” Sister Helen Marie Burns, a Mercy Iowa City board member, told the State Health Facilities Council last August during a hearing to consider a UIHC proposal to build a new hospital in North Liberty.

Suresh Gunasekaran, then the chief executive officer of UI Hospitals and Clinics, at the state hearing rejected the idea his hospital’s expansion would threaten community health care.

“There are numerous possible ways that we can collaborate with all community hospitals, it won’t change the need for North Liberty,” Gunasekaran said. “Because North Liberty is really going to be focused on tertiary and quaternary care.”

The council eventually approved that project — which UIHC initially disclosed as a $230 million, 300,000-square-foot facility at the corner of Forevergreen Road and Highway 965 and later revealed was a 469,000-square-foot multi-building project, now costing more than $525 million due to inflation.

But just about three weeks before that hearing, on Aug. 6, 2021, UIHC submitted a proposal to take over Mercy Iowa City and initiate a new division focused on community care.

“We believe that UI Health Care is the ideal partner for Mercy Iowa City,” according to the university’s proposal, which was obtained by The Gazette. “Our goal is to combine the resources of UI Health Care’s comprehensive, integrated delivery network with the unique local strengths of Mercy Iowa City to expand the scope of care and improve access.”

UIHC said it planned to launch a community hospital division — separate from its academic divisions — centered on Mercy Iowa City, which would remain a hub for primary and secondary care in the region with its own local governance and board.

Ye gods...hopefully I am reading this wrong or there is more to the story...but it looks like the $$'s offered, and rejected, last year were $605MM and the "today" price, which is just a little lower, is $20MM. So a cool $585MM "evaporated" in a years time.

One could almost build a new Children's Hospital for that amount of cabbage. /s

Ye gods...hopefully I am reading this wrong or there is more to the story...but it looks like the $$'s offered, and rejected, last year were $605MM and the "today" price, which is just a little lower, is $20MM. So a cool $585MM "evaporated" in a years time.

One could almost build a new Children's Hospital for that amount of cabbage. /s
Don’t they need to pay off the current children’s hospital first and get the windows replaced.

Sigh...I said it before. I have 2 years left until final kid graduates. Then I can go wherever. I spent the last week actually scouting a potential destination. A state that cares about it's natural resources.
You have piqued my interest. Which state?

Don’t they need to pay off the current children’s hospital first and get the windows replaced.
AFAIK, those are still "open items" for the UI Childrens' Hospital, yes. But I was just attempting to highligh the massive delta between last years price and this years price.

OMG...$585MM is not nothing. :) Even fellow HROT'ers would pick that amount up if it was laying in the street. :)

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Sigh...I said it before. I have 2 years left until final kid graduates. Then I can go wherever. I spent the last week actually scouting a potential destination. A state that cares about it's natural resources.
Whatcha got on the list so far?

To: All University of Iowa employees
From: Barbara J. Wilson, president; and Denise J. Jamieson, vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Like many hospitals nationwide, Mercy Iowa City has experienced significant financial challenges. Today, we share an update as to how we are supporting Mercy Iowa City following its filing this morning of a voluntarily proceeding through a structured bankruptcy.
We have always maintained great respect for Mercy Iowa City, knowing the vital role it has played in our community since 1873. As members of the same community, many of us know and care about people who work at Mercy Iowa City. We want you to know that leaders from the University of Iowa, UI Health Care, and Mercy Iowa City are working together to avoid significant disruption. Although many decisions will be in the hands of the bankruptcy court, we share a goal to preserve and enhance local and regional access to quality health care and jobs.
Included in Mercy Iowa City’s bankruptcy court filing is a reference to a letter of intent between Mercy Iowa City and the State of Iowa that outlines the potential to transition Mercy Iowa City to become part of UI Health Care. If the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, and the bankruptcy court approve this proposed affiliation between Mercy Iowa City and UI Health Care, we will begin planning to bring our two organizations together.
In the meantime, Mercy Iowa City will continue to see patients as its hospital proceeds through bankruptcy and we will prepare, to the extent permissible, for a potential future where our entities join as one to continue to serve the health care needs of Iowans.
We are only at the beginning of this process and recognize you will have many questions. We will provide you with regular updates and answers as we confirm details. This is a significant time for our region and our people as we work to preserve and enhance access to quality health care and jobs. Thank you for all you do to continue to provide quality care for Iowans.
Sincerely,
Barb and Denise
Mercy had an offer for $600M from UI. Amazing that in just six years they ‘sold’ mercy for $20M.

Reactions: cigaretteman
You have piqued my interest. Which state?

Not sure yet. I am looking at the NE. I am not going to go to one place. 2/3 of the year North, 1/3 South. I was recently in Upstate NY and New England. Liked that a lot. New Mexico in the South. Santa Fe area. Surprisingly pay for me in NY might be worse than Iowa. That was a bit surprising. California has a high COL, but the salaries go with it.

It's a tough call. I'm upset about where Iowa is at. Kim Reynolds is Iowa's worst governor ever. Yet, I have family buried all over SE Iowa. Someone close to me who is now passed dedicated his life to the UI and the State. It's tearing me apart actually. My job requires me to be neutral and I take it very seriously, but boy do I want to fight, but in the end it wont matter, the state is too far gone. So I am looking to go.

One big caveat; wherever my kids move. One is leaving shortly for out West.

Last edited:
$20 million seems like an absolute steal for the Mercy IC organization and assets.

I mean I would think the facilities would be close to that alone…

Not sure yet. I am looking at the NE. I am not going to go to one place. 2/3 of the year North, 1/3 South. I was recently in Upstate NY and New England. Liked that a lot. Surprisingly pay for me in NY might be worse than Iowa. That was a bit surprising. California has a high COL, but the salaries go with it.

It's a tough call. I'm upset about where Iowa is at. Kim Reynolds is Iowa's worst governor ever. Yet, I have family buried all over SE Iowa. Someone close to me who is now passed dedicated his life to the UI and the State. It's tearing me apart actually. My job requires me to be neutral and I take it very seriously, but boy do I want to fight, but in the end it wont matter, the state is too far gone. So I am looking to go.

One big caveat; wherever my kids move. One is leaving shortly for out West.
Wife and I moved to the mid Atlantic region this summer. 100% right call to leave Iowa.

The shortage of Xers in my field helps me across the country, so it's good to have choices.
Honest question----What Reynolds policies have affected you so much youre considering moving from Iowa?

I get it if the kids move etc...makes sense. But moving over a politician seems to make little sense.

Though to some degree I do expect their to be some state level political consolidation going forward. Which is how it should be I guess. Little mini political experiments of sorts.So I dont know why I am wondering about you moving but I am curious about a decision to move away from something rather than to something.

Honest question----What Reynolds policies have affected you so much youre considering moving from Iowa?

I get it if the kids move etc...makes sense. But moving over a politician seems to make little sense.

Though to some degree I do expect their to be some state level political consolidation going forward. Which is how it should be I guess. Little mini political experiments of sorts.So I dont know why I am wondering about you moving but I am curious about a decision to move away from something rather than to something.

I value the outdoors. I hike, bike, have done open water swims. I love our national parks..I love Effigy Mounds.

The water quality issue and general environmental degradation is horrible. An open water swim I know of in Iowa was cancelled because of E-Coli. That's pathetic.

Maybe it's not fair to say it's all her, but she certainly won't turn it around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT