ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City school board to consider closing Hills Elementary amid budget constraints

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Iowa City school board will vote next month on whether or not to close Hills Elementary School — one of several recommendations made by school leaders as they prepare to trim $7.5 million in district expenses over the next two years.

Closing Hills Elementary School, 301 Main St. in the town of Hills, would save the school district around $1.66 million, according to board documents. The more than 100 students currently enrolled at Hills Elementary would be redistricted to different elementary schools — likely Alexander and Weber elementary schools, Superintendent Matt Degner said during a school board meeting Tuesday.

Matt Degner, Iowa City Community School District superintendent, speaks during an assembly at Hills Elementary School in Hills on Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021. (Rebecca F. Miller/The Gazette)
“I do believe our kids will be successful in another schools in the district. We have great facilities and great staff that are creating those great stories you heard at the microphone tonight,” Degner said, referring to the dozens of people who advocated for the school during public comment.

Speakers included Hill Mayor Tim Kemp, parents and residents. The boardroom was packed with around 50 people.

If Hills closes, teachers and staff would have the option of being reassigned to another school within the district, and students would still have access to all the services they get now at Hills, including preschool.

School officials cited budget constraints and overall declining enrollment in the district as the reason to consider closing Hills, the smallest elementary school in the district.

The recommendations made to reduce the district’s budget — including closing Hills Elementary — are expected to be voted on by the school board at its next regular meeting on Tuesday, March 26, at 6 p.m. at the Educational Services Center, 1725 N. Dodge St., Iowa City.

School board indicates support in closing Hills​

Some school board members indicated support in closing the elementary school, which has the highest cost per student and lowest enrollment of schools in the district.

Iowa City school board member Lisa Williams
School board member Lisa Williams said she would make the decision to close an elementary school over other budget reduction proposals like letting teachers go. “I’m not willing to fire people when there are other places we can make cuts,” she said.

“We are operationally inefficient in several areas, and we have to fix that. Otherwise, we have to cut our people, and we have to cut our programs. To me, operational efficiency is going to be what I focus on.” Williams said.

“Yes, we’re focusing on Hills tonight, but we are going to have to look at retiring more schools potentially next year,” Williams said.

Degner said there are no recommendations to close any of the district’s other elementary schools at this time.

School board member JP Claussen said if Hills closes, those students will still be “at the best school district in the state of Iowa.”

“They will have a great education experience. I know what that means personally, and I know what happens when you lose it. This is not easy. I’m not even saying I’ve decided … We’ve always known (Hills) was operationally inefficient, and we put a lot of money into that school. What I hope to see is we take all of these obstacles and turn them into opportunities,” Claussen said.

Iowa City School Board member JP Claussen

Why close Hills?​

Enrollment at Iowa City elementary schools next year is projected to be 70 percent of the district’s capacity. This leaves about 3,000 open spots for elementary students in the Iowa City Community School District.

A large portion of the projected decline in enrollment at Iowa City elementary schools can be attributed to the plan to move sixth-graders from the district’s elementary schools to its middle schools this fall, a change approved by the school board in February 2022.

Flourish logoA Flourish chart

The anticipated enrollment next year at Hills for PK-5th grade is 126 students, with a building capacity of 200 students. The cost per student is projected to be just over $7,000, about $1,000 more than the district’s average anticipated cost per elementary student next year.

For the 2021-22 school year, 70 percent of Hills Elementary students were bused to the school from areas north of Hills, the southern portion of Iowa City and unincorporated parts of Johnson County. Only about 45 students who attend Hills live in the town.

About 30 percent of Hills’ students are English Language Learners whose first language is not English.

District officials did explore other options for Hills, including the feasibility of transferring students to Hills from other elementary schools, according to board documents. They found this doesn’t make fiscal sense because while it would decrease the cost per pupil at Hills, it would increase transportation costs and per pupil spending at the reassigned students’ home-school.

The Iowa City Community School District is not unique in needing to reduce costs. Earlier this month, Des Moines Public school officials announced the need to cut at least $14 million in expenses from their budget. Last year, the Cedar Rapids Community School District trimmed $2 million from its general fund budget.

Like many school districts in Iowa, Iowa City schools has faced declining enrollment since the pandemic began in the spring of 2020. During the 2019-2020 school year, the district had an enrollment of about 14,500 students. This dropped to 14,200 students during the 2020-21 school year, and rebounded up to 14,440 students this year.

Other cost-saving recommendations​

Other recommendations to reduce the district’s expenses include adjusting the district’s Weighted Resource Allocation Model, which is used to control class sizes based on rates of students who face barriers in their education.

This would result in a reduction of seven full time educators, a $630,000 cost savings.

In an interview with The Gazette earlier this month, deputy Superintendent Chase Ramey said reductions in teaching staff would be made through attrition — whether that’s retirements or educators leaving the school district for other opportunities.

Another cost-saving measure is reducing an additional five teachers through normal attrition, a $450,000 cost savings.

Finally, school officials proposed increasing employee insurance contributions, which would create an additional $770,000 in cost savings. Certified staff would pay $50 a month with a single plan, and classified staff would pay $40 a month for a single plan.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky1203

Long-term sustainability recommendations​

Degner introduced some options for the future that could create long-term cost savings for the district.

One option is to pair schools to increase operational efficiency. For example, instead of having a K-5 elementary school, there would be schools for K-3rd graders and schools for 4-5th graders.

He also suggested closing some elementary schools and reopening them as preschool centers.

Another option is to revisit elementary attendance zones with the focus on efficiency of schools, Degner said.

Each of these options could help balance the cost per pupil of each school and maximize teaching staff by more evenly distributing students across schools.

Alternate recommendations​

School officials also made alternative recommendations, which could have a more negative impact on students’ experience.

One option would be to cut an additional 45 teachers from the district, a cost savings of $3.2 million. However, Degner said this would increase class sizes and potentially lead to cutting programs.

Another option would be to eliminate 13 bus routes, a cost savings of $750,000.

Finally, Degner said the school board could consider eliminating the Weighted Resource Allocation Model, which would make equal elementary class sizes in the district. For example, kindergarten classes would be 26 students, first and second grade would be 28 students, and third through fifth grade would be 32 students. This would save $650,000

School board members, however, spoke about the value of the Weighted Resource Allocation Model.

“We’ve seen the difference it makes. It’s hard to put a price on the educational outcomes,” Claussen said.

Families respond​

During the public comment period, kids, parents and community members shared their desire to see Hills Elementary remain open.

Hills Mayor Tim Kemp said the district talks about “equity for all,” but it would be inequitable to close Hills Elementary. “Why is Hills chosen as the sacrificial lamb?” he said.

Marcela Urtado, who has one child attending Hills, said it’s a good place for students who are immigrants. The small student body enables teachers to give students one-on-one attention, she said.

“Please don’t close the school,” Urtado said in translated Spanish.

ADVERTISING

Ana Cano, who had a daughter at Hills Elementary, said she is “sad and disappointed” that the school could close. At Hills, her daughter is surrounded by other students from Spanish-speaking households. She appreciates that she can communicate in both English and Spanish in school and become bilingual.

Cano said she is worried her daughter and won’t receive the same level of education at another elementary school.

Joleah Shaw’s five children attended Hills Elementary, even though her family doesn’t live within the school’s attendance boundary. “It was always our school of choice,” Shaw said.

Shaw said the proposal to close Hills is the “same fight we have faced since my son was in kindergarten 13 years ago. Over the years, the school has seen enrollment numbers fluctuate as the school board changed the attendance boundary, ”manipulating numbers to reflect a higher operating cost,“ she said. ”It now appears the school board and administration have created a perfect storm to reach their goal“ and close the school.

Jolene O’Brien, 11, a sixth-grader at Hills, said teachers there supported her in “catching up” in reading and speech.

“I had a teacher who always told me I had style, and I was fabulous when I wore princess dresses and floppy hats to school. He built my self-esteem, and I will never forget him. I feel safe and protected at Hills,” Jolene said.

Degner thanked the public for their comments Tuesday.

“Of course we know a decision like this one is not easy,” he said. “I’m from a small town in Iowa myself, and I know what kind of impacts schools have on communities. We do recognize this is difficult. If we felt like we had a better recommendation to bring forward to the board, we would do that.“

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky1203
This is happening in many places, in part due to charter schools. My sister's school district in AZ is closing I believe 3 elementary schools and one of them is heavily behavior disorder and emotional problems. They are moving those kids to her school and trying to put as many as possible in regular classes. In Newton, 2 elementary schools are closing by 2026 I believe it is.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Hills Elementary school was built and paid for by Liberty Township. They joined the ICSD in 1966 I believe. I assume the ICSD funded an addition in the 70's. Originally some or all of the kids went to Lone Tree for high school. In 1966 they all went to IC West. They've kicked the kids back and forth between City and West. Most of the kids are bused to Hills from the trailer courts of Regency, Lake Ridge, Breckenridge and Cole's anyway. I wonder if Hills or the township has any legal standing to regain the building as a rec center, library or city offices...

Reactions: GOHOX69
Is Regina actually doing great? I went to a fish fry there last week. Place resembled a dump compared to West, where I went.
Compared to West, yeah, but compared to most small enrollment schools, I think it's safe to say they're in the top half.

This is happening in many places, in part due to charter schools. My sister's school district in AZ is closing I believe 3 elementary schools and one of them is heavily behavior disorder and emotional problems. They are moving those kids to her school and trying to put as many as possible in regular classes. In Newton, 2 elementary schools are closing by 2026 I believe it is.
I can tell you from experience that's a REALLY bad idea.

I think these massive budget issues at Iowa public schools make Kim Reynolds smile.
1. She loves making things rough for the non privates. Reinforces academic struggles because of larger class sizes.
2. Most of her policies benefit minority interests.
3. More public school layoffs mean less new teachers earning her "minimum wage" teacher pay pet project.
4. Less public school employees mean less people drawing IPERS in retirement from State funding.
5. Those laid off can fill those open positions at a lower starting wage for her corporate friends.
6. And...the biggest reason...SHE'S JUST EVIL!

Never, ever thought I'd appreciate Terry Branstad.

Is Regina actually doing great? I went to a fish fry there last week. Place resembled a dump compared to West, where I went.
lol...well, you should have stopped in the new athletic facility (built entirely with private funds).

https://www.shive-hattery.com/proje...ite-improvements-and-indoor-hitting-facility/

1164271_N25_433x650.jpg

Cool. Now they should fix the rest of the dilapidated school. Maybe that's not a priority.
They just built a brand new entrance two years ago in the back. You likely went in the side back door to the cafeteria and missed it.
But, yes, now that the school will be properly funded in coming years, I'd imagine there will be lots more improvements.

I'd hate to say how much time and concrete and money I put into Regina over the last 40 years. Lot and lots of volunteer hours. Concession stands, wrestling room, curbs, press box, addition in front and the entire elementary foundation in 1985...
Penance?

• Haha
I'd hate to say how much time and concrete and money I put into Regina over the last 40 years. Lot and lots of volunteer hours. Concession stands, wrestling room, curbs, press box, addition in front and the entire elementary foundation in 1985...
Do you ever tire of telling us about your work history.

Cause I doubt I'm alone in saying I don't care.

Private funds, huh?

Would be cool if they had to conduct an audit or submit a CAR like public schools so that could be verified. But no, they just get public money with no restrictions.
They do their own audits and answer to their school board and the families that attend. As they’ve done successfully for decades. If there were issues, enrollment wouldn’t keep increasing.
They have actually had to succeed in the free market, unlike public schools.

They do their own audits and answer to their school board and the families that attend. As they’ve done successfully for decades. If there were issues, enrollment wouldn’t keep increasing.
Can you remind of the academic rankings of the Iowa City schools?

Private schools have <10% of the student population in this state that public schools do. It's not even a comparison.

Why did COVID turn you into such a POS?

LOL. Not exactly a clean audit, then.
They don’t take all comers, do they? Not exactly the free market that public schools compete in.

Reactions: bojihawk44
They do their own audits? Lol, you have to be joking.

Let us know when their FY24 independent audit is complete and publicly available. Oh, and they have to pay about $20k to have one done or they're non-compliant and rush suspension or closure.

Fvcking scam and your repeated ignorance on this is astounding. The other dude is right, COVID ruined you.

• Wow
Reactions: Pinehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT