ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa DCI agent Brian Sanger

As I recently stated on this or another thread, college is what you make of it, or allow it to make of you (paraphrased). I'm happy for you. It sounds like you survived and got your money's worth.
You said the following earlier in this thread:
You're confusing education and wisdom. Our current education system isn't teaching students to think, it is, in fact, trying to control what they think and feel.
I feel the current education system taught me how to think, and not that they were trying to control what I think and feel. I would guess that the vast majority of students at Iowa (or any university) would be in the same boat.

Curious what you think the average college class / curriculum looks like, and how they would be going about trying to control how students think and feel?

As I recently stated on this or another thread, college is what you make of it, or allow it to make of you (paraphrased). I'm happy for you. It sounds like you survived and got your money's worth.
Agree. Did you attend college?

@texas twister should probably create a thread to ban everyone who posted politics or religion in this thread.

I can't believe that Mohn character was a PA resident and Penn State grad. And he graduated from the same HS as Penn State's head football coach too. What a loser!!!

Reactions: Sharky1203
You can spin it anyway you want, but yes it was.

"Education makes it difficult to control people through emotion. If someone learns how to think, it makes it difficult to control what they think." - el dub

You make no reference to studying abroad or your own experience. You were speaking about education in general. Public education at all levels in the USA tries to control your thoughts and teach you not to think for yourself.
True, my sixth grade Language Arts teacher tried to make us Cubs fans. She wanted to blow Ryne Sandberg.

I will add that theologically, I am an Evangelical, who is appalled at the lack of compassion/empathy manifested in Religious Right churches. If Jesus Christ was to appear for awhile, I could see Him being kicked out of Religious Right churches for being one of them thar "Liberals".

I am completely serious about this.
I think Jesus would be an equal opportunity corrector of positions on both sides of the spectrum. His caution to take the log out of our own eyes before we criticize others is, of course, very apt. It is always easy to spot the things to criticize in others.

I went to college at the University of Iowa for 5 years (4 for my BS and 1 for my Master's). I held conservative viewpoints during my entire 5 years there, despite the fact that the student population as a whole is very liberal minded. Only after graduating have I become more and more liberal. I was not "taught" liberal viewpoints in my classes, politics in general is not something I ever heard about in my curriculum. The education I received helped me tremendously and I feel like I would not be as successful as I am today without it.

I think it's en extremely weird argument to imply that higher education by itself does any sort of "brainwashing" of its students or is a waste of time for everyone. I do think that college/university is not necessarily for everyone, and that more people should consider trade schools instead, but it seems that some people just blanket all higher education in a negative way due to faulty assumptions
And as someone else said, even weirder to debate this on a college sports website.
Also as someone else said, education is what you make of it. I'd call that personal responsibility in action. :)

That's not to say that wrestling in Iowa stops at the outskirts of IC/Coralville, Ames, or Cedar Falls, or ever did.
Lotta small towns. Lotta wrestling fans from one big river to the other. Very few of those folks are worried about the pop quiz on Monday, or the commute home. Wrestling in Iowa draws from diverging cultures more than many other college sports.

Reactions: sstark46 and el dub
I think Jesus would be an equal opportunity corrector of positions on both sides of the spectrum. His caution to take the log out of our own eyes before we criticize others is, of course, very apt. It is always easy to spot the things to criticize in others.
I’m struggling to understand how your comment relates to Doc’s?

Remember that your political hero has a degree from Wharton, biz school of Penn (Ivy League). And yeah, some of them ARE dumb. BTW, this anti-intellectual thing some us have betrays our insecurities, not our street smarts or common sense.

Unfortunately, morans come from everywhere, including from good ole blue-collar Iowa. I should know because I'm one of them (you). You can get just as brainwashed at North Iowa Community College as you can at Harvard, or at a MAGA rally for that matter.

As for building that wall on the east side of Cali-Oregon, I was amused that Dub "liked" that. Something tells me that he'd like a wall from you as much as you want one from him. Sorry to tell you both that we're all stuck with each other here supporting the Hawks, so we have to learn to get along. :)
North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) is the Harvard of the Midwest.

One of my post high school stops.

Anyone remember Joe Hatchett? A slightly larger version of Gabe Arnold, imo.
Sure do. From Cedar Rapids Washington HS. My 9th grade coach was later an assistant coach there, and helped him become a state champ. Later Joe was a Div II national champ at UNI I believe. Excellent wrestler.

Loved Joe Hatchett. Nice dude. Cut to the max, just a ball of muscles. Wonder where he is these days.

You think a State Agency doesn't run something this big by the AG's office?
Looks like a clear case of plausible deniability by Bird.

Gonna need some proof before I admit I'm wrong.
Link of who else they would have "ran it by"?
How about some actual proof that your assumption is correct?

Which states don’t get an influx of college students?
Well, for one, Illinois is a huge net exporter of college students. A lot more leave Illinois for college vs enter the state. Many of those students are going to schools in iowa of course.

Reactions: el dub
Correct. illinois prides itself on bringing in out of state and out of country students to pay full tuition to live in Champaign ILL (yuck). buttholes.
During freshman orientation at Iowa this fall my son and I sat next to a father and son from illinois. I asked them why they had picked Iowa and they said that paying out of state tuition was still cheaper than attending the U of illinois!

During freshman orientation at Iowa this fall my son and I sat next to a father and son from illinois. I asked them why they had picked Iowa and they said that paying out of state tuition was still cheaper than attending the U of illinois!

That's one reason. Another is that U of Illinois has a lower acceptance rate and a higher test score requirement on average.

Reactions: RobinHawk7
My son said when he was attending U of Iowa, 30 -40% of the people he was friends with were from the greater Chicago area. Also a lot of students from China, as a side note.

Reactions: vhsalum
When I was a student at Iowa, it was very common to hear from kids from Illinois that Iowa was their fallback school after they couldn't get accepted into Illinois, and that it worked out better anyway because out of state tuition at Iowa was cheaper than in state tuition at Illinois. Crazy thing to me was that out of state tuition at Iowa was nearly 4x what it was for in state!

Yes. My nephews attended Iowa because it was cheaper than similar choices in Illinois.

Correct. illinois prides itself on bringing in out of state and out of country students to pay full tuition to live in Champaign ILL (yuck). buttholes.
The University of Illinois is more interested in their rankings than educating the students in their own state.

Reactions: vhsalum
The University of Illinois is more interested in their rankings than educating the students in their own state.
Well, I do think that mainly applies to the one flagship school in Champaign. Because they don't seem to be focusing on rankings at the other state schools/campuses. (Eastern, Northern, Western, ISU, Carbondale, Edwardsville, Chicago State, Governors State, UIS, and UIC). I think this is at least partly why so many people leave the state if they don't get accepted to Illinois-Champaign - then there isn't a second option for a nationally-recognized public school. And thus, Iowa, ISU, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin, etc. become the choices for many. The article linked is from a few years back - but you'll notice most of the out-of-state destinations are 'name' schools that have a national name and play sports in a power 5 conference. I can see why that is much more appealing for many students than going to a regional state school. Top college destinations for Illinois students

Reactions: globalhawk
Well, I do think that mainly applies to the one flagship school in Champaign. Because they don't seem to be focusing on rankings at the other state schools/campuses. (Eastern, Northern, Western, ISU, Carbondale, Edwardsville, Chicago State, Governors State, UIS, and UIC). I think this is why so many people leave the state - if you don't get accepted to Illinois-Champaign - then there isn't a second option for a nationally-recognized public school. And thus, Iowa, ISU, Indiana, Missouri, Wisconsin, etc. become the choices for many. The article linked is from a few years back - but you'll notice most of the out-of-state destinations are 'name' schools that have a national name and play sports in a power 5 conference. Top college destinations for Illinois students
You are correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT