ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Defense and Special Teams Reign Supreme

jonesy5960

HR Legend
Sep 6, 2012
I get a chuckle when I see posters here comment on Iowa's defense suggesting that it isn't very good this year. It only serves to reinforce the impression that anything short of perfection has become a disappointment when it comes to the Iowa D. Iowa's SP+ and FEI rankings which use opponent and pace adusted efficiency metrics might surprise some of those people.

Current SP+ rankings
Offense- 122
Defense - 1
Special Teams - 18

Current FEI rankings
Offense- 120
Defense - 7

This year's D is very good IMO. But it has taken a step back from last year, which is to be expected when losing talent like Campbell, LVN, etc.

Add that loss of talent to a couple of stats that don't really get talked about much, and it's easy to see the ridiculous disadvantage PP and the D are up against.

Iowa currently ranks 125th in time of possession, and 129th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

For a program that's supposedly built on ball control, clock control, winning the battle of field position, etc., it's pretty unreal that this is where we rank in these two areas. Again, it makes clear just what PP is up against with such an impotent offense forcing the D to be on the field this much and having such little time to rest because of all the 3 and outs.

This year's D is very good IMO. But it has taken a step back from last year, which is to be expected when losing talent like Campbell, LVN, etc.

Add that loss of talent to a couple of stats that don't really get talked about much, and it's easy to see the ridiculous disadvantage PP and the D are up against.

Iowa currently ranks 125th in time of possession, and 129th in 3rd down conversion percentage.

For a program that's supposedly built on ball control, clock control, winning the battle of field position, etc., it's pretty unreal that this is where we rank in these two areas. Again, it makes clear just what PP is up against with such an impotent offense forcing the D to be on the field this much and having such little time to rest because of all the 3 and outs.
This is why metrics like SP+ and FEI are more valuable than simple yardage and scoring stats because they strip away the impact of the offense on defensive stats by looking only at what happens when the defense is on the field.

This is why metrics like SP+ and FEI are more valuable than simple yardage and scoring stats because they strip away the impact of the offense on defensive stats by looking only at what happens when the defense is on the field.
I think it's safe to say that the defense has taken a bit of a step back from last year, and I'm not sure how they could not have given the talent they lost. They do continue to hit on great LBs with Higgins, thankfully he waited his turn.

• Haha
Reactions: BlowinGuysHawkeye
Are you saying the offense's inability to stay on the field doesn't have an impact on the defense?

Are you saying the offense's inability to stay on the field doesn't have an impact on the defense?
No. Just the opposite with respect to things like scoring and yardage. Bad offense with a lot of 3 and outs and low TOP means more opponent possessions. Under this scenario, a defense will by definition give up more yards, more first downs, and more points per game. What should be less affected (within reason), are metrics involving things like yards per play and points per possession. Of course, there are extreme situations like you have at Iowa where the defense is impacted physically and mentally by the sheer volume of plays and the recognition that the offense isn't giving you a chance to win.

I think it's safe to say that the defense has taken a bit of a step back from last year, and I'm not sure how they could not have given the talent they lost. They do continue to hit on great LBs with Higgins, thankfully he waited his turn.
Last year was a generational defense for Iowa. This year's defense is still one of the best in the country.

I get a chuckle when I see posters here comment on Iowa's defense suggesting that it isn't very good this year. It only serves to reinforce the impression that anything short of perfection has become a disappointment when it comes to the Iowa D. Iowa's SP+ and FEI rankings which use opponent and pace adusted efficiency metrics might surprise some of those people.

Current SP+ rankings
Offense- 122
Defense - 1
Special Teams - 18

Current FEI rankings
Offense- 120
Defense - 7
Not really sure about bcftoys site but the NCAA site has Iowa's offense 130/130

• Haha
Last year was a generational defense for Iowa. This year's defense is still one of the best in the country.
I think that depends on the metric you are using. Passing defense certainly is, I'm not sold on the rushing defense. If Purdue were smart they would have continued to gash us for 4-5 yard gains off tackle.

• Haha
Agree, they are very good at this point in time. My question is it sustainable? They are "giving up" so many plays per game I wonder if they aren't going to be completely gassed by the end of the season.

• Haha
There's good reason to evaluate this D in particular using a more complicated analysis. The offense is so atrocious, so awful in so many dimensions that adjustments have to be made in assessing the D's performance. psu would almost certainly have won that game even with a typically below average Iowa O. But what Iowa put out on the field in that game, and continues to put out there, is simply not competent leading to incredible differences in number and time of possession against the few good teams they play. And, frankly, poor numbers in those dimensions against the rest of the dreck on their schedule.
The D is not perfect. And they are not as good as last season. But it's a very slight drop off. Last year's D wouldn't have been likely to change anything significant with that psu debacle.

• Haha

Current SP+ rankings
Offense- 122
Defense - 1
Special Teams - 18

Current FEI rankings
Offense- 120
Defense - 7
I think I read somewhere that the person that compiles SP+ stated that Iowa is a tough one to rank in SP+ due to the extreme splits in offense defense. Maybe there is an overall rating and the offense is so bad that the defense is higher to justify the overall rating.

Heck, the analysis of the game this week is that the defense and special teams almost need to be perfect for Iowa to win, no expectations for the offense

I think that depends on the metric you are using. Passing defense certainly is, I'm not sold on the rushing defense. If Purdue were smart they would have continued to gash us for 4-5 yard gains off tackle.
Well I think it's a package that Phil has become a master of. A defensive unit has a finite level of resources for the DC allocate. You can't allocate resources against the pass without sacrificing vs the run and vice versa. The overarching goal is to limit the points.

• Haha
I think I read somewhere that the person that compiles SP+ stated that Iowa is a tough one to rank in SP+ due to the extreme splits in offense defense. Maybe there is an overall rating and the offense is so bad that the defense is higher to justify the overall rating.

Heck, the analysis of the game this week is that the defense and special teams almost need to be perfect for Iowa to win, no expectations for the offense
I don't think there are any Iowa specific adjustments based on offensive performance. These efficiency metrics focus only on things like yards per play and points per possession.

• Haha
There's good reason to evaluate this D in particular using a more complicated analysis. The offense is so atrocious, so awful in so many dimensions that adjustments have to be made in assessing the D's performance. psu would almost certainly have won that game even with a typically below average Iowa O. But what Iowa put out on the field in that game, and continues to put out there, is simply not competent leading to incredible differences in number and time of possession against the few good teams they play. And, frankly, poor numbers in those dimensions against the rest of the dreck on their schedule.
The D is not perfect. And they are not as good as last season. But it's a very slight drop off. Last year's D wouldn't have been likely to change anything significant with that psu debacle.
This year's performance vs PSU was identical in almost every respect to last year vs OSU.

Well I think it's a package that Phil has become a master of. A defensive unit has a finite level of resources for the DC allocate. You can't allocate resources against the pass without sacrificing vs the run and vice versa. The overarching goal is to limit the points.
I think this is why they have begun to send more of a blitz package as of recent. I am absolutely not qualified to make any judgement calls with concerns to the defense, but with that said, I would like to see some other guys on the edges get some PT. After what Brian Allen did in the spring game, I'd like to see him out there.

• Haha
I think this is why they have begun to send more of a blitz package as of recent. I am absolutely not qualified to make any judgement calls with concerns to the defense, but with that said, I would like to see some other guys on the edges get some PT. After what Brian Allen did in the spring game, I'd like to see him out there.
Maybe. Given the results that we've seen I'm loathe to question anything Phil chooses to do or who he chooses to play.

That's the craziness and exceptionality of it.
What other team has such an extreme between the two main phases of the game? Even among the minor leagues of FBS. Let alone any of the teams from significant conferences. That's the single biggest reason why this is getting so much run in media and among talking heads. Anyone paying attention to FBS upper level football has an almost impossible time coming up with a prior parallel of a major conference team with a complete bottom of the barrel offense and a very high functioning defense. You just don't see that happen on the same team. And for consecutive seasons.

• Haha
Nope. There have been plenty saying it's not a great defense.
Mz49.gif

• Haha

Current SP+ rankings
Offense- 122
Defense - 1
Special Teams - 18

Current FEI rankings
Offense- 120
Defense - 7
Kinda weird the defense isn't ranked #1 in a single statistical category kept by the conference, don't you think?

Current SP+ rankings
Offense- 122
Defense - 1
Special Teams - 18

Current FEI rankings
Offense- 120
Defense - 7
Jemari Harris looks to be coming on with tighter coverage and tackling as he hadnt played in awhile at full game speed. The pass rush was slow to gain steam which I think led people to think the defense was not as good. I was surprised by the lack of pass rush. But the pass rush looked better in the last two games. The edge containment was an issue that we hadnt seen for a long time really but it looks like that is sorted out better.

It is a good thing the DLine is so deep because all these plays are harder on the big guys who are chasing and being pushed on and pushing back yet doing it with probably 30-40 pounds of weight over what they would normally be carrying around on their hearts and lungs and muscles.

That's the craziness and exceptionality of it.
What other team has such an extreme between the two main phases of the game? Even among the minor leagues of FBS. Let alone any of the teams from significant conferences. That's the single biggest reason why this is getting so much run in media and among talking heads. Anyone paying attention to FBS upper level football has an almost impossible time coming up with a prior parallel of a major conference team with a complete bottom of the barrel offense and a very high functioning defense. You just don't see that happen on the same team. And for consecutive seasons.
I have to say the reverse has been the case for many teams in the Big 12 for a decade or more. Games like Baylor vs TCU 5 or so years ago with a final score of something like 70-65. My gawd, those defenses were just terrible, junk, lousy tackling, not very physical at all. So some of those teams were giving up 35-40 pts a game to ISU and some other lesser teams in the conference.

So this guy didn't?

Or this guy?

That's just one thread. I don't feel like looking for more.
You're trying too hard, buddy. Lol

Pick a different hill to die on. Maybe join the posters that want to take the blame off Brian and Kirk. There's at least a few of them, so you won't be alone.

Sam Houston with a big night, decent chance Iowa will be last in most offense categories after this week

I have to say the reverse has been the case for many teams in the Big 12 for a decade or more. Games like Baylor vs TCU 5 or so years ago with a final score of something like 70-65. My gawd, those defenses were just terrible, junk, lousy tackling, not very physical at all. So some of those teams were giving up 35-40 pts a game to ISU and some other lesser teams in the conference.
I don't know if the spread was as great for some of those teams, but the point stands.
If it played out that way over the course of the entire season, or more than a season, and those teams ended up being in the bottom 10% of defenses in FBS I think that any DC in charge of that would lose their job. Right?

This year's defense is still very good and I think the group is just about to hit its stride, a lot of new guys to integrate into the scheme. I think the perception that they are not at the level of last year's unit is because they have not gotten the same level of sacks and takeaways that they did previously. I think that may start to pick up here in the second half of the season, hopefully starting this Saturday.

I don't know if the spread was as great for some of those teams, but the point stands.
If it played out that way over the course of the entire season, or more than a season, and those teams ended up being in the bottom 10% of defenses in FBS I think that any DC in charge of that would lose their job. Right?
Right, correct. I dont know if they were bottom 10% but I do know historically Gary Patterson, the head coach at TCU, had very good defenses before joining the Big 12. In the Big 12 he maintained the tough defense for a few years but then lost it going all offense and giving up lots of points. I would say Matt Campbell at ISU did well in the Big 12 those 2 years because they played pretty salty defense and they caught lightning in a bottle with Purdy, their really good TEnd, Lazard, and Montgomery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT