ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Department of Public Safety releases statement on sports wagering investigation

We can agree to disagree on this.

The DPS/DCI is an independent agency.

I suspect if this was Tom Miller (D), the reaction here would be quite different.
Actually no it would not. If he oversaw this or had individuals in his department doing this, I think he would have stopped it in its tracks on the legality stance. Had he not I would have the same opinion of him as I do Bird.

Actually no it would not. If he oversaw this or had individuals in his department doing this, I think he would have stopped it in its tracks on the legality stance.

Because he was a D, right?

In any event, he wasn't in charge of the DPS/DCI so he wouldn't have been in a position to oversee the investigation.

In any event, he wasn't in charge of the DPS/DCI so he wouldn't have been in a position to oversee the investigation.
Unlike you I don't care its Democrat or a Republican. She appears well over her head. She has now defended DCI saying she saw nothing wrong with DCI even though you have a very basic constitutional right that was violated. Essentially she is as dense as you. I have concerns on Reynolds as well, but her stance was much earlier with much less evidence out and she hasn't made a comment since. You have emails showing they don't think there are laws violated by the students but that they wanted to do it for exposure reasons of their department and personal achievements. They then violated constitutional laws to achieve their investigation. The dropping of the charges admits their illegality. Iowa is screwed and you know it. Continuing to defend them is moronic.

Reactions: nelly02
You have emails showing they don't think there are laws violated by the students but that they wanted to do it for exposure reasons of their department and personal achievements. They then violated constitutional laws to achieve their investigation. The dropping of the charges admits their illegality. Iowa is screwed and you know it. Continuing to defend them is moronic.

The e-mail is peculiar given that two county attorneys ended up filing charges.

We don't know at this point if any constitutional rights were violated.

The dropping of charges happens all the time. It would appear that the non response from the private company was a consideration in that decision.

I'm not defending anything.

I've said from the start that I have issues with fishing expeditions by law enforcement. Guardrails need to be in place to prevent such.

From a strictly legal perspective, I'm interested in seeing a court ruling on the legality of their actions.
There won’t be a court ruling on any of this because the state is going to end up settling before it gets there.

Reactions: bunsen82
Unlike you I don't care its Democrat or a Republican. She appears well over her head. She has now defended DCI saying she saw nothing wrong with DCI even though you have a very basic constitutional right that was violated. Essentially she is as dense as you. I have concerns on Reynolds as well, but her stance was much earlier with much less evidence out and she hasn't made a comment since. You have emails showing they don't think there are laws violated by the students but that they wanted to do it for exposure reasons of their department and personal achievements. They then violated constitutional laws to achieve their investigation. The dropping of the charges admits their illegality. Iowa is screwed and you know it. Continuing to defend them is moronic.
Moronic is right up ol Northern's alley

Reactions: bunsen82
Seriously, I don’t think it’s a crime to have two adults share an account. DK gets a little pissed but that’s civil not criminal.

Happy to be wrong on this. You have a link or something saying that’s criminal?
I would think it’s only a crime if it’s established that someone used another’s account without permission/agreement.

The dropping of charges happens all the time. It would appear that the non response from the private company was a consideration in that decision.

We know the geofencing searches were conducted without warrants. That seems like a constitutional rights violation.

Yes we do. We know they were violated. Its the reason the attorneys dropped the charges. "It was no longer in the interest of Justice." Charges don't get dropped unless something comes out to show why they should be dropped. Like new evidence of a different suspect, something corroborating an alibi, or in this case more information showing illegal searches occurred violating constitutional rights. This is a simple fact.

If Miller let it happen, then sure. But Miller actually ran a really good department and got results for the taxpayers. There were very few, if any, straight up embarrassments for the state during his time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT