ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Department of Public Safety releases statement on sports wagering investigation

Prior to using the tools provided, the Department of Public Safety conferred with legal counsel to ensure lawful access to and use of the technology. Two county attorney offices also reviewed all relevant investigative information before making the ultimate decision to file charges.

Weird that Kim and Brenna can comment on what books schools put on shelves or how medical experts treat their patients, but this just can't be commented on.

Prior to using the tools provided, the Department of Public Safety conferred with legal counsel to ensure lawful access to and use of the technology. Two county attorney offices also reviewed all relevant investigative information before making the ultimate decision to file charges.

Have you finished beating this dead horse all the way to China yet? I’m not concerned about Bird in this investigation save for where she offered her full support when charges were filed.

If it turns out this case was not conducted aboveboard, she should have to answer for her conduct at that point.

You need to ask yourself and other posters that question. I've been among the most reasonable and level headed posters on this issue.

Aside from what I mentioned about her comments supporting the case last summer, show me where I’ve attacked her on anything regarding this.

how could anyone defend the state when they were conducting warrantless searches on individuals who were conducting lawful activity?

would northern defend the current federal government for doing this? hmmmm

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
You realize that law enforcement can't even do dumpster searches without a warrant?
Does Iowa have laws similar to Vermont?
I'd always heard that they could get into your trash, which is the case in Florida:

Keep in mind that some states have constitutions that extend more protections from police searches than the U.S. Constitution provides. For example, Vermont requires police to obtain a search warrant before they can search inside a person’s trash, even if it is on the curb waiting to be collected. That is NOT the law in Florida. Florida law permits the police to go through the trash if it is left out for the garbage collector.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Not hard to imagine. They would be wrong though. I guess the times when conservatives believed in the 4th amendment are over
Republicans only believe their way or the highway. They show us this with practically every decision they make.

The reality is law enforcement is trained on these situations. To ignore the law, means they shouldn't be trying to enforce the law.

Well what legal counsel did DCI consult?

Likely their own internal legal counsel.

Additionally, their top dog is an attorney.

Stephan K. Bayens was appointed Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety by Governor Kim Reynolds on January 14, 2019. Commissioner Bayens previously served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of Iowa, where he was assigned to combat violent crime as the coordinator for the Department of Justice’s Project Safe Neighborhood initiative.

For 15 years, Commissioner Bayens was an Assistant Polk County Attorney in Des Moines, Iowa, where he specialized in drug and gang prosecutions and asset forfeiture. Prior to that he was an Assistant Attorney General assigned to the Special Litigation Division of the Iowa Attorney General’s Office and was an Attorney Clerk for the Iowa Court of Appeals. His publications include The Search and Seizure of Computers: Are We Sacrificing Personal Privacy for the Advancement of Technology?, 48 Drake Law Review 239 (2000) reprinted in 27 Search & Seizure Law Reports 49 (2000).

Commissioner Bayens has spoken extensively on issues related to search and seizure, the successful prosecution and investigation of gang and drug-related cases, and the use of technology in criminal investigations. He is a 1996 graduate of Central College in Pella, Iowa and a 1999 high honors graduate of Drake University Law School in Des Moines, Iowa. While attending Drake University Law School, Commissioner Bayens served as a legal research and writing teaching assistant and on the editorial board of the Drake Law Review.

Likely their own internal legal counsel.

Additionally, their top dog is an attorney.

Stephan K. Bayens was appointed Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety by Governor Kim Reynolds on January 14, 2019. Commissioner Bayens previously served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of Iowa, where he was assigned to combat violent crime as the coordinator for the Department of Justice’s Project Safe Neighborhood initiative.

For 15 years, Commissioner Bayens was an Assistant Polk County Attorney in Des Moines, Iowa, where he specialized in drug and gang prosecutions and asset forfeiture. Prior to that he was an Assistant Attorney General assigned to the Special Litigation Division of the Iowa Attorney General’s Office and was an Attorney Clerk for the Iowa Court of Appeals. His publications include The Search and Seizure of Computers: Are We Sacrificing Personal Privacy for the Advancement of Technology?, 48 Drake Law Review 239 (2000) reprinted in 27 Search & Seizure Law Reports 49 (2000).

Commissioner Bayens has spoken extensively on issues related to search and seizure, the successful prosecution and investigation of gang and drug-related cases, and the use of technology in criminal investigations. He is a 1996 graduate of Central College in Pella, Iowa and a 1999 high honors graduate of Drake University Law School in Des Moines, Iowa. While attending Drake University Law School, Commissioner Bayens

But top dog can't give legal counsel to their own department. Why do you assume that Bird had nothing to do with it. Lets say she didn't have anything to do with it. Fine. But when shit hit the fan, she has an obligation as the top law enforcement official to get involved.

I have not spoken with one attorney that thinks this was kosher

But top dog can't give legal counsel to their own department. Why do you assume that Bird had nothing to do with it. Lets say she didn't have anything to do with it. Fine. But when shit hit the fan, she has an obligation as the top law enforcement official to get involved.

I have not spoken with one attorney that thinks this was kosher

Try not to stroke out over this Jimmy.

It will all play out in due time. I have confidence in the courts.

Try not to stroke out over this Jimmy.

It will all play out in due time. I have confidence in the courts.

I'm not stroking out about any of it. I do feel bad that you refuse to read the depositions, but are so "smart" about the issue.

It will never see a Courtroom. State will settle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT