ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Department of Public Safety releases statement on sports wagering investigation

I don't know, except the splash from UI and ISU is way bigger than UNI, which would not add much to the splash, just a little additional ripple. Targeting athletes for retribution doesn't add up to me, but you could be right. It seems if they wanted to do that, there would have been more painful, and less politically damaging ways to go about it.

To me the biggest irony in all of this is this weird relationship between the state and gambling, which has been around for long time. Just one example, but fitting for this, betting on sports by athletes - BAD. Playing the state-sponsored lottery to win tickets to Iowa or ISU games - GOOD. And to add some extra icing, featuring kids in the ads that promote this lottery game. "Hey mom and dad, can you play the lottery so we can win some tickets to the Hawkeye game?!". Bizarre.
The splash you mentioned is part of why I believe someone had an agenda here. If it was simple overreach it simply doesn’t make sense that UNI wouldnt have been included.

The splash you mentioned is part of why I believe someone had an agenda here. If it was simple overreach it simply doesn’t make sense that UNI wouldnt have been included.
I don't know, you may be correct. Unless someone talks, it's left to us to wonder. It was poor form by our state. That I feel confident about.

Strikes me as someone being from a party which claims to be "all about freedom" and "Constitutional protections" but doesn't believe that those freedoms and protections apply to others.

I'd love to have the chance to sit across the table and have the opportunity to cross-examine him under oath at a deposition. I hope that Van Plumb, Chris Sandy and Matt Boles eviscerate them all. Take off the gloves and don't pull any punches. Bring everything into the light . . .
I can vouch for Van and Matt personally. They'll pull no punches and burn them down....

Reactions: Iron Doc
Strikes me as someone being from a party which claims to be "all about freedom" and "Constitutional protections" but doesn't believe that those freedoms and protections apply to others.
A political party? There's no major party like that in this country that I'm aware of.

There are a few options - someone had an axe to grind regarding sports gambling; it hasn’t been legal in Iowa all that long. Both Iowa and ISU have been in crosshairs from state republicans over “woke” policies.

If there was no agenda at all, why not include UNI in the initial probe? Or heck, just publicly announce there’s an investigation into underage gambling at public universities and see what unfolds.

The way they curiously didn’t look at uni at all, how they very quickly zeroed in on student athletes, how they overcharged and almost immediately pled most of the cases involved; as well as what came out in discovery phase that led to charges getting dropped…something is rotten here.

Had the ISU players not fought back; none of this would be getting a second look.

Look at how they they were able to target Iowa and ISU athletes through geofencing, using the facilities the Hawkeyes and Cyclones have that are almost exclusively for athletes and athletic department personnel.

Then consider UNI's facility set-up. No football building. Wrestling was literally scattered to the wind last year with the condemnation of the West Gym. Basketball practices in the PEC, where all students, faculty and staff work out.

They didn't target UNI athletes because it wasn't easy to do so. This was perhaps the one time the Panther's vast money disadvantage to the Hawks/Clones paid off for them.

Look at how they they were able to target Iowa and ISU athletes through geofencing, using the facilities the Hawkeyes and Cyclones have that are almost exclusively for athletes and athletic department personnel.

Then consider UNI's facility set-up. No football building. Wrestling was literally scattered to the wind last year with the condemnation of the West Gym. Basketball practices in the PEC, where all students, faculty and staff work out.

They didn't target UNI athletes because it wasn't easy to do so. This was perhaps the one time the Panther's vast money disadvantage to the Hawks/Clones paid off for them.
To some extent yes, but idk if that’s the major roadblock you’re saying. Remember, this started out by first targeting dorms.

It may have been a bit harder, but if they were truly concerned about sports gambling by athletes they could have done it.

Supposedly the whole investigation was started due to someone raising concerns…who was that? What concerns were those? Were there specific games or something that prompted concerns?

I continue to have many questions about WHY they started the investigation; far more than what it how they conducted it.

To some extent yes, but idk if that’s the major roadblock you’re saying. Remember, this started out by first targeting dorms.

It may have been a bit harder, but if they were truly concerned about sports gambling by athletes they could have done it.

Supposedly the whole investigation was started due to someone raising concerns…who was that? What concerns were those? Were there specific games or something that prompted concerns?

I continue to have many questions about WHY they started the investigation; far more than what it how they conducted it.
I agree there are many questions to be answered. But they didn't target ISU dorms, just Iowa.

It seems to me this agent decided to first try to geofence a UI dorm or dorms (for still unknown reason), found interesting results, and then thought... I wonder what other specific geofence targets might bring interesting results... With plenty of easy picking options in Iowa City and Ames.

If they were really looking to catch as many athletes as possible, sure... it would be theoretically possible to target athletes at UNI, Drake, and every other college in the state. But when you can shoot fish in a barrel, why spend the time?

The objective seemed to be to find the easy targets and make examples of them.

I agree there are many questions to be answered. But they didn't target ISU dorms, just Iowa.

It seems to me this agent decided to first try to geofence a UI dorm or dorms (for still unknown reason), found interesting results, and then thought... I wonder what other specific geofence targets might bring interesting results... With plenty of easy picking options in Iowa City and Ames.

If they were really looking to catch as many athletes as possible, sure... it would be theoretically possible to target athletes at UNI, Drake, and every other college in the state. But when you can shoot fish in a barrel, why spend the time?

The objective seemed to be to find the easy targets and make examples of them.
To me this is why I think someone had an agenda - this wasn’t a general investigation; this specifically targeted the two main public universities (no disrespect to UNI).

Which is why I really want to know who o raised those “concerns” that apparently kickstarted the whole thing.

The simplest answer is Iowa and ISU were the easy targets and the fastest route to make a case.

The most complicated answer is someone had a beef with BOTH Iowa and Iowa State athletics. What would be the motive?

I remain convinced this investigation had strong backing from state government. There’s just so much about the origins of the investigation that seem shady to me.

It was shady. Makes you understand how they got the warrant from Pottawattamie County listening to that idiot DCI agent in that rant. Im not sure he even knows the law listening to that idiot. Theyve done this before and have gotten away with it. They were finally called on it. Wonder how many other cases will be opened back up? These lawyers had to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get a deposition from Sanger. The state wouldnt allow it and finally they broke through and got the deposition.

Last edited:
The simplest answer is Iowa and ISU were the easy targets and the fastest route to make a case.

The most complicated answer is someone had a beef with BOTH Iowa and Iowa State athletics. What would be the motive?
UNI trying to kill Iowa and Iowa State.

UNI trying to kill Iowa and Iowa State.
I know you're joking, but some people won't think so. So devil's advocate, what has UNI gained over UI/ISU by this entire situation? They don't regularly play in most sports anymore. They don't recruit the same athletes for the most part.

I think there are still some Hawk and Clone fans who are pissed that UNI wasn't somehow also caught up in this disaster of an investigation.

I know you're joking, but some people won't think so. So devil's advocate, what has UNI gained over UI/ISU by this entire situation? They don't regularly play in most sports anymore. They don't recruit the same athletes for the most part.

I think there are still some Hawk and Clone fans who are pissed that UNI wasn't somehow also caught up in this disaster of an investigation.
I’m not upset by that, but I would like to know why they weren’t. It just seems odd.

A political party? There's no major party like that in this country that I'm aware of.

There's not a particular political party that touts itself as being all about "protecting freedom" and "Constitutional protections?"

Interesting observation on your part.

It was shady. Makes you understand how they got the warrant from Pottawattamie County listening to that idiot DCI agent in that rant. Im not sure he even knows the law listening to that idiot. Theyve done this before and have gotten away with it. They were finally called on it. Wonder how many other cases will be opened back up? These lawyers had to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get a deposition from Sanger. The state wouldnt allow it and finally they broke through and got the deposition.

It truly makes me wonder if the DCI agent/Iowa state representative played some sort of role in the decision-making / strategic evaluations process. Certainly acted as if he was taking the criticism of DCI personally.

There's not a particular political party that touts itself as being all about "protecting freedom" and "Constitutional protections?"

Interesting observation on your part.
You failed to finish the quote with "but doesn't believe that those freedoms and protections apply to others."

Which party are you making this accusation against?

You failed to finish the quote with "but doesn't believe that those freedoms and protections apply to others."

Which party are you making this accusation against?

You read my post wrong. Go back and re-read it. The comment about "but doesn't believe that those freedoms and protections apply to others" is directed at the individual representative making the statements in the public record. Pretty clear that the individual feels as though "convictions" outweigh whether the use of the geofencing software without warrants was Constitutional and an invasion of an individual's freedom.

You read my post wrong. Go back and re-read it. The comment about "but doesn't believe that those freedoms and protections apply to others" is directed at the individual representative making the statements in the public record. Pretty clear that the individual feels as though "convictions" outweigh whether the use of the geofencing software without warrants was Constitutional and an invasion of an individual's freedom.
Ah, the latter statement was in reference to the "someone" versus the "party." Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT