ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa football is a destination head coaching job; how many P5 jobs are a step up at Iowa?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Iowa football has a pretty storied history. Successful in a top league, a decade avg of championships, great fans and stadium and facilities, coaching longevity.

I dont know the salaries at some of these other schools but it seems up and comers at P5 schools like Wake Forest, Vandy, Miss St, Virginia, NC St, Kansas, K St, Cincy, Ark. as well some really proven head coaches at non-P5 teams would jump at the Iowa head coaching job.

Iowa just needs a top 60 or better offense with the current defense and special teams to win most games and be in a position to win any game against top competition.

Yeah, well, I would be shocked if Phil Parker came back without Kirk there. Especially with the truckloads of money he's going to be offered once other schools find out he's available. Unless he's planning on retiring anyway in the next 5 years. It would take at least that long to reproduce what he built at Iowa at another school. He might be better off just writing a book on how he did it.

There are reasons why the Iowa job should be of interest to top candidates.

- B1G money and it keeps going up
- Respected football program
- Excellent facilities
- Outstanding fan support
- History of hanging on to coaches
- Iowa City is a pretty great place for a family.

I'm confident that they will have good candidates.

It’s a good program with resources many programs would kill for, but, a ‘destination’? Um, yeah…….

Reactions: millah_22
There are reasons why the Iowa job should be of interest to top candidates.

- B1G money and it keeps going up
- Respected football program
- Excellent facilities
- Outstanding fan support
- History of hanging on to coaches
- Iowa City is a pretty great place for a family.

I'm confident that they will have good candidates.

~ Respected by who?
~Facilities are rapidly falling behind. There will need to be big upgrades soon to keep up with other Big Ten teams
~Iowa City is a great place for only those families who think it is a great place. Depends upon what the family is looking for

I am not so sure it is a "Destination Job"

~ Respected by who?
~Facilities are rapidly falling behind. There will need to be big upgrades soon to keep up with other Big Ten teams
~Iowa City is a great place for only those families who think it is a great place. Depends upon what the family is looking for

You sure have a pretty low opinion of the University.

You sure have a pretty low opinion of the University.

Not really, I think it is a great university. But I am biased. I am guessing the vast majority of fans around the country would not agree with my beliefs about Iowa.

And where was I wrong (putting our Hawkeye bias aside)

~ Respected by who?

Confused What Are You Doing Here GIF by Britannia

Reactions: BonzoFury and WSC72
Not really, I think it is a great university. But I am biased. I am guessing the vast majority of fans around the country would not agree with my beliefs about Iowa.

And where was I wrong (putting our Hawkeye bias aside)
Opinions are opinions. Iowa City is not perfect...nor is any college town. But on balance it's got a lot going for it. There's a reason it routinely shows up as a top college town. I've been to every B1G city (outside of the 2 East Coast add-ons). Iowa City beats the hell out of a lot of them.

As for the football program, there are plenty of P5 schools that wish they had the brand recognition, the following and the fans that the Hawks do. The facilities are fine. Once you're above a certain level it's all flash and details. B1G $ doesn't hurt either.

It's a very, very, very good job. Without a doubt, a top 20 coaching destination with proven longevity and respect if successful. Ultimately, we're a second tier job which is very good.

However, Iowa fans can be brutal as hell also.
Kirk Ferentz has made it 25 years without giving a damn (at the best of times) about what the fans think.
I think the next guy will be ok.

Were an upper half program in one of the big two conferences.
I’d like to think that when the time comes there will be some decent candidates interested in the job.

Yeah, well, I would be shocked if Phil Parker came back without Kirk there. Especially with the truckloads of money he's going to be offered once other schools find out he's available. Unless he's planning on retiring anyway in the next 5 years. It would take at least that long to reproduce what he built at Iowa at another school. He might be better off just writing a book on how he did it.
Let Phil sniff 7 million. That's pretty big incentive.

Reactions: BioHawk
Why does it have to be a destination job?

I would have no problem if they brought in a guy who had ambitions of moving on to a "blue blood" and got them into the soon to be expanded playoffs then moved on. Sure, I wouldn't have a problem if the next guy turned them into 'bama or georgia of the last few years. But, I don't want to be too greedy.

Reactions: littlez
Iowa football has a pretty storied history. Successful in a top league, a decade avg of championships, great fans and stadium and facilities, coaching longevity.

I dont know the salaries at some of these other schools but it seems up and comers at P5 schools like Wake Forest, Vandy, Miss St, Virginia, NC St, Kansas, K St, Cincy, Ark. as well some really proven head coaches at non-P5 teams would jump at the Iowa head coaching job.

Iowa just needs a top 60 or better offense with the current defense and special teams to win most games and be in a position to win any game against top competition.
NU guy but completely agree Iowa would land a solid guy if it came to it. .

Facilities are rapidly falling behind. There will need to be big upgrades soon to keep up with other Big Ten teams
I was going to challenge this take as it felt like they just built the new football facility not that long ago. Sure as shit, they’re looking to do $2.5 million in locker room upgrades on it as it was built 10+ years ago already. College football is a different animal these days.

Reactions: cmhawks99 and WSC72
~ Respected by who?

The name of the game now is NIL. Swarm guys facilities are not the seller now.

Reactions: WSC72
The name of the game now is NIL. Swarm guys facilities are not the seller now.
Facilities still matter, just not nearly as much. Once your facilities are above a certain standard though there isn't nearly as much return on the investment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT