ADVERTISEMENT

Deconstructing & Reconstructing the Iowa Football Coaching Staff

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
I’m going to be real honest - I’d give about 90% odds that Kirk doesn’t step down at the end of the year - 10% that he does. But, in the event that it happens I want us to have had this discussion.

And that is — who is Core? What coaches are central to the progress and development of the Iowa Football program? Who can’t we afford to lose from a recruiting / developmental / gameday perspective? (In case you’re wondering, I would very much consider Kirk as core to the mission. And I also think he is selfless / low-ego enough to coach at Iowa in a capacity other than Moon Family Head Football Coach)

Back to the task — it is my belief that we have two very capable, bright football minds in Seth Wallace and LeVar Woods. Both have paid their dues in the program.

Seth has served as our recruiting coordinator, coached on all levels of the defense (DL, LB, DBs), and is presently our Assistant Defensive Coordinator. He has been outstanding in critical areas - recruiting, technical and player development. It would not be at all surprising to see him named our next DC, regardless of who becomes HC in this scenario.

Levar is less seasoned, but has been outstanding in his posts as LB coach, TE coach and presently our Special Teams Coordinator. Many speak highly of his ability to motivate and develop talent. In only his seventh season as a coach he has garnered a good deal of fan-level conversation as a next possible head coach at the University of Iowa.

I think these two are core, absolutely essential to driving Iowa forward over the course of the next two decades.

And I should point out that many positive stories are spoken about Kelvin Bell, Ladell Betts, Abdul Hodge and Kelton Copeland. In the case of hiring within (i.e. promoting Phil Parker) I would not be at all surprised to see these coaches elevate. At the same time, it is no secret that we’re in need of a philosophical change on the offensive side of the ball. For these reasons I think it makes sense to consider an offense that:

1. Utilizes the athleticism of today’s QB as a runner (See Brad Banks)
  2. Utilizes the history / coaching ability / ‘recruitability’ of the tight end position
  3. Engages a downhill rushing attack that enables the core concept of ‘complimentary football’ than has been so successful during Kirk’s time at Iowa.

If we hire someone outside of the program as HC, most of our coaches are going to be gone. Realistically, the only coaches who might be kept on are position coaches. The next HC is going to want coaches who will run the things he wants to run, or people he trusts. If the HC wants to run a 3-3-5, he finds a guy that has experience doing that because he won't have time for a coach to figure it out. Look how long it took for Phil to embrace the 4-2-5, and that was swapping out a LB for a DB (which most schools did already). Keeping a Coordinator is risky because you always run the chance of comparing the new HC to the old one. "Well this is what we did with Kirk" is the last thing the new guy wants to hear. If KF leaves, I doubt either Seth or Levar are retained. I think other schools would call Levar to be their Special Teams coach and I can see Wallace take a DC job in the AAC or some similar conference. I could see Hodge, Bell, and Betts staying in similar roles to what they are doing now though.

Any OC we hire will likely insist on his own QB/WR position coaches and may let the OL/TE/RB coaches stay on unless he has some world-beating recruiters for those positions. The Washington OC looks like a great fit and should have some West Coast recruiting ties.

If Phil stays I see little to no change in Defensive assistants, unless Phil becomes head coach in which case he may promote from within for a new DC and get another LB or DB assistant with ties to the PAC 10 or Mountain West.

Within the last few years, every team in the BIG West has changed head coaches except for the Hawks with mediocre to poor results. I believe WI and perhaps NE have the best chance to show longer term positive results. WI has the best chance because they are closer to better talent, are the lone P-5 school in the state and have at least twice the fan base (money) as most of the other schools. The odds are that when the Hawks change their head coach, there will be a downward spiral. (By the way, I believe ISU has been very smart in keeping theirs even with the mixed results.)

KF has been brilliant over the last 20 some years by sticking with one philosophy. He has taken his best talent and placed it where he can keep most games close. He has placed a majority of it on defense and the O-line with above average RB's. BF got screwed because he never got good QB's or more than one good WR at a time. I have posted many times that Iowa should have recruited a couple of average QB's each year that could run the ball Instead of recruiting "pro-style" types. Because of scheme, they would only have to throw to TE's anyway.

If I had the power to choose the next HC, I would go after Mark Stoops who has done a very credible job at a BB school in the toughest football conference. Of course, with the new BIG and the new rules, who can predict anything?

Any OC we hire will likely insist on his own QB/WR position coaches and may let the OL/TE/RB coaches stay on unless he has some world-beating recruiters for those positions. The Washington OC looks like a great fit and should have some West Coast recruiting ties.

If Phil stays I see little to no change in Defensive assistants, unless Phil becomes head coach in which case he may promote from within for a new DC and get another LB or DB assistant with ties to the PAC 10 or Mountain West.
You’re really not saying that the Washington coordinator would switch to come to Iowa? From that offense to this one?

You’re really not saying that the Washington coordinator would switch to come to Iowa? From that offense to this one?
Assistant HC/OC as Kirk's Heir Apparent, OCs bring their Offensive scheme/playbook with them...often they bring a few key position Coaches and important players in the Transfer Portal. Short answer "Yes".

Assistant HC/OC as Kirk's Heir Apparent, OCs bring their Offensive scheme/playbook with them...often they bring a few key position Coaches and important players in the Transfer Portal. Short answer "Yes".
Name the last time anywhere a school hired a head coach in waiting and it worked out. Of course he would be a great hire but he’s making 500K more than our current coordinator and he’s coaching a team 1 win from the playoffs. It’s not happening. It makes no sense.

Name the last time anywhere a school hired a head coach in waiting and it worked out. Of course he would be a great hire but he’s making 500K more than our current coordinator and he’s coaching a team 1 win from the playoffs. It’s not happening. It makes no sense.
Makes perfect sense for a coach who wants to return closer to home, wants a Big Ten HC job, and start out with a top-10 defense.

Reactions: littlez
Any head coach that fails to see the value of our defense and special teams is….failed. Don’t want him.
If the new head coach is a predominantly offensive guy I agree that they would be stupid to not just keep all the defensive and special teams coaches.

Those units are in such great shape that the new Head Coach could focus most efforts on the offense

I would love to promote Phil. I think he would find the best OC and stay out of their way
If Phil wants to be head coach he should most likely get it. He probably elevates Wallace to DC if Wallace wants it. Levar could be special teams and take over wallace's duties perhaps.

Then if Phil makes a much improved hire at OC he can let work with that OC to set up those assistants.

Reactions: desihawk
If we hire from within I think the only real option would be Woods or Wallace. Elevating one of those I think keeps PP here until he wants to be done.

I would keep if you can:
Woods
Wallace
Parker
Bell
Hodge
Betts

Reactions: desihawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT