ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa GOP wants to control where citizens can travel

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

Iowa politicians should leave the kids alone

Student trips help mutual understanding between nations​

MAY 24

In some parts of Iowa, road signs greet visitors with our new state slogan: “Iowa, Freedom to Flourish.”

Some Republican lawmakers obviously don’t get the concept.

US Reps. Mariannette Miller-Meeks and Ashley Hinson and state Rep. Taylor Collins, have all been wringing their hands recently over trips that some students and staff from Muscatine High School took to China.

China apparently paid the costs, according to a recent article in the right-wing British newspaper, the Daily Mail, and that has triggered the Iowa Republicans. Now, there’s talk of stopping these visits.

Miller-Meeks called China a national security threat and said the trips were a “bridge too far.”

In an interview on Fox Business, where one of the hosts asked about the trips, including whether they should be banned, Hinson said a committee in Congress is investigating.
Meanwhile, Collins announced that during next year’s legislative session he’s going to introduce legislation to stop “this kind of infiltration by the Chinese Communist Party into Iowa’s classrooms.”

So much for freedom-loving Republicans.

I’d like to think an attempt to limit a citizen’s right to travel overseas would fail, even in the Iowa Legislature. But as we’ve seen recently, Republicans in this state like to use the power of government to impose their priorities on Iowans in ways that mock that cheery new slogan greeting visitors.

A prime example: The book ban Republicans put in place—and a federal judge blocked—that violates the rights of students, even high schoolers, to read what they want. Lawmakers also have censored teachers and restricted what had been a rather robust right of Iowans to vote by mail, among other limitations.

As I’ve said before, freedom in Iowa is a commodity and the party in power today sees itself as its chief distributor.

As for the student trips, Muscatine has longstanding ties to China and its leader, Xi Jinping. Xi first visited in 1985 and has maintained ties to the area ever since.
In 2012, the then-vice president of China came back to Muscatine and was greeted with open arms, including by top Republicans.

“We consider you a great friend of Iowa,” then-Gov. Terry Branstad told Xi at a gathering at the Muscatine home of Roger and Sarah Lande.

It’s not like China wasn’t a national security challenge back then. Its human rights violations were also clearly evident. There were demonstrations in Muscatine that day highlighting Chinese repression. Even so, Branstad and Xi later raised glasses to one another and enjoyed a gala dinner in the state Capitol.

I don’t recall any Republicans worrying then that Xi and China were using Iowa’s governor as a propaganda tool.

I do remember, later, a lot of coverage in the media about Branstad’s long “friendship” with Xi when he was appointed ambassador to China, and how it was a plus for the US. Even Donald Trump cited it as an asset.

I also remember a Foreign Policy article suggesting that, at least in terms of real-world international relations, all this talk of Branstad’s friendship with Xi was meaningless.
Propaganda, you might say.

The Muscatine school visits appear to stem from Xi’s remarks on a trip last year to San Francisco where he said he wanted to invite 50,000 American students to his country over the next five years.

According to a Des Moines Register article, Sarah Lande reached out to the Chinese leader, whom she’s known for nearly 40 years, writing that she hoped his invitation would include students from Muscatine.

Xi responded positively, and the Register reported that 24 students from Muscatine and four staff went to China.

According to the Daily Mail, the visits yielded praise for the country and gratitude to China’s leader. This seems to have set off at least some of the criticism.

The school district issued a statement to media in the Quad-Cities responding to the controversy that made it clear it understands the political and economic differences between the two countries but also recognizes the value of student exchanges in “fostering understanding, empathy, and valuable perspectives that extend far beyond the classroom.”

Lande, meanwhile, issued her own statement recognizing “these educational exchanges supported by the Chinese government are part of China’s soft power promoting their country along with friendship and understanding.” In Muscatine, she added, “Our people fund reciprocal exchanges. Should our students and educators take part in this opportunity with their eyes open? Yes! These exchanges have brought life changing experiences to students. Knowledge is freedom to make wise decisions. These are the values upon which America was founded. We are part of worldwide competition, cooperation and interconnection. Citizens need to know and understand each other to find a way to work together and avoid conflict.”

Both statements are posted to KWQC-TV’s website.

In my opinion, these statements exhibit the kind of realistic, eyes-open commitment to mutual understanding between nations that are a credit to these Iowans and consistent with our state’s heritage. It would be a shame if reactionary lawmakers were to interfere; if they were to try to undermine the right of Iowa students to have these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.

Nobody should be naïve about China, or the kind of leader Xi Jinping is. But neither should we crawl into an isolationist hole and, in the process, violate the rights of young adults to travel on the questionable assumption that they’ll let themselves be used as pawns.

That’s not the kind of state that trusts its citizens to do the right thing. It’s not the kind of state that gives them the freedom to flourish.

“this kind of infiltration by the Chinese Communist Party into Iowa’s classrooms.”
The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

I’m in favor of limiting where high school students can take trips. I’d start with Russia, North Korea, Iraq and Iran. Probably throw in Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Venezuela. If we feel China or anywhere else is dangerous, then add it to the list. Their record on human rights should be enough reason alone to discourage travel there in order for these kids to get “culture”.

The party of small government proving otherwise once again. Fear mongering is their finest art and they're pros at it. I see absolutely no harm in a trip like this, the GOP clearly has dug in their heels and are thumbing their noses at China as if to instigate a fight. Not a great look for diplomacy and fence mending which is obviously needed between our two countries. We hosted a Chinese student in our home a few years ago and it was a great experience, I'd hate to see these types of opportunities go away.

I’m in favor of limiting where high school students can take trips. I’d start with Russia, North Korea, Iraq and Iran. Probably throw in Afghanistan, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Venezuela. If we feel China or anywhere else is dangerous, then add it to the list. Their record on human rights should be enough reason alone to discourage travel there in order for these kids to get “culture”.

What is your problem with Iraq, outside of that it is in the Middle-East? They are not sworn enemies of our country.

I wouldn't send h.s. students there, but on the whole, it is safer for an American than Israel.

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
What is your problem with Iraq, outside of that it is in the Middle-East? They are not sworn enemies of our country.

I wouldn't send h.s. students there, but on the whole, it is safer for an American than Israel.

LOL
What travel agency are you booking with?

Travel Advisory
April 24, 2024​

Iraq - Level 4: Do Not Travel​

OKUT
Updated to reflect the termination of Ordered Departure of non-emergency U.S. government employees and eligible family members.
Do not travel to Iraq due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and Mission Iraq’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens.
On April 1, 2024, the Department terminated the Ordered Departure status for U.S. Embassy Baghdad and U.S. Consulate General Erbil. However, the Travel Advisory level for Iraq remains at Level 4, advising that U.S. citizens not travel to Iraq.
Country Summary: U.S. citizens in Iraq face high risks to their safety and security, including the potential for violence and kidnapping. Terrorist and insurgent groups regularly attack Iraqi security forces and civilians. Anti-U.S. militias threaten U.S. citizens and international companies throughout Iraq. Attacks using improvised explosive devices, indirect fire, and unmanned aerial vehicles occur in many areas of the country, including Baghdad and other major cities. In an emergency, consular services to U.S. citizens in Iraq are limited due to severe restrictions on the movements of U.S. government personnel.
Demonstrations, protests, and strikes occur frequently throughout the country. These events can develop quickly without prior notice, often interrupting traffic, transportation, and other services, and sometimes turning violent.
Do not travel near Iraq’s northern borders due to the continued threat of attacks by terrorist groups, armed conflict, aerial bombardment, and civil unrest. U.S. citizens should especially avoid areas near armed groups in northern Iraq, which have been targeted with aerial strikes by neighboring countries’ militaries.
U.S. citizens should not travel through Iraq to engage in armed conflict in Syria, where they would face extreme personal risks (kidnapping, injury, or death) and legal risks (arrest, fines, and expulsion). The Kurdistan Regional Government in Iraq has stated that it will impose prison sentences of up to ten years on individuals who illegally cross the Iraq-Syria border. Additionally, fighting on behalf of or supporting designated terrorist organizations is a crime under U.S. law that can result in prison sentences and large fines in the United States.
Because of security concerns, U.S. government personnel in Baghdad are instructed not to use Baghdad International Airport. Due to risks to civil aviation operating in the Baghdad Flight Information Region, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has extended its Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR) prohibiting certain flights at altitudes below 32,000 feet for an additional two years. For more information, U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration’s Prohibitions, Restrictions, and Notices.
Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Iraq

LOL
What travel agency are you booking with?

Travel Advisory​

April 24, 2024​

Iraq - Level 4: Do Not Travel​

OKUT
Updated to reflect the termination of Ordered Departure of non-emergency U.S. government employees and eligible family members.
Do not travel to Iraq due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and Mission Iraq’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens.
On April 1, 2024, the Department terminated the Ordered Departure status for U.S. Embassy Baghdad and U.S. Consulate General Erbil. However, the Travel Advisory level for Iraq remains at Level 4, advising that U.S. citizens not travel to Iraq.
Country Summary: U.S. citizens in Iraq face high risks to their safety and security, including the potential for violence and kidnapping. Terrorist and insurgent groups regularly attack Iraqi security forces and civilians. Anti-U.S. militias threaten U.S. citizens and international companies throughout Iraq. Attacks using improvised explosive devices, indirect fire, and unmanned aerial vehicles occur in many areas of the country, including Baghdad and other major cities. In an emergency, consular services to U.S. citizens in Iraq are limited due to severe restrictions on the movements of U.S. government personnel.
Demonstrations, protests, and strikes occur frequently throughout the country. These events can develop quickly without prior notice, often interrupting traffic, transportation, and other services, and sometimes turning violent.
Do not travel near Iraq’s northern borders due to the continued threat of attacks by terrorist groups, armed conflict, aerial bombardment, and civil unrest. U.S. citizens should especially avoid areas near armed groups in northern Iraq, which have been targeted with aerial strikes by neighboring countries’ militaries.
U.S. citizens should not travel through Iraq to engage in armed conflict in Syria, where they would face extreme personal risks (kidnapping, injury, or death) and legal risks (arrest, fines, and expulsion). The Kurdistan Regional Government in Iraq has stated that it will impose prison sentences of up to ten years on individuals who illegally cross the Iraq-Syria border. Additionally, fighting on behalf of or supporting designated terrorist organizations is a crime under U.S. law that can result in prison sentences and large fines in the United States.
Because of security concerns, U.S. government personnel in Baghdad are instructed not to use Baghdad International Airport. Due to risks to civil aviation operating in the Baghdad Flight Information Region, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has extended its Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR) prohibiting certain flights at altitudes below 32,000 feet for an additional two years. For more information, U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration’s Prohibitions, Restrictions, and Notices.
Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Iraq

Mainland China is only "Reconsider" at a Level 3. I think if these kids and their parents thought it through, it's their choice to fly over there and they accept the responsibility of what happens.

Mainland China is only "Reconsider" at a Level 3. I think if these kids and their parents thought it through, it's their choice to fly over there and they accept the responsibility of what happens.
I’m laughing at the idea Iraq is safer than Israel for an American tourist.
I don’t think Israel is safe, but it ain’t Iraq. Agree?

wrt China, I want kids to go and see it, but I’d remind them a thousand times don’t do anything stupid (vandalism, shoplift a trinket, etc). I wouldn’t be worried they’d get kidnapped or catch shrapnel.

Reactions: sober_teacher

This thread is about where high school students are allowed to travel? If you wouldn’t let HS kids travel to Iraq, why?

I’ll go with what our government states in its travel advisories.

Based on current events I would now allow high school students to travel to Israel either.

But apparently not allowing high school kids to travel to China, who is indeed an enemy of the U.S, is enough for outrage from the left. Vote out these cultist cretins!!! I can think of a lot of other reason to vote them out, just not this.

Like Brittany Griner “thought it through” before going to Russia. Sometimes people don’t make the best, well thought out decisions.

Reactions: SB_SB
LIke I said, I wouldn't go to some of these countries. I'd be flagged as former military. But that doesn't mean others will be. Any American traveling to Russia right now is an idiot, and I include the press in that.

Reactions: 3boysmom
LIke I said, I wouldn't go to some of these countries. I'd be flagged as former military. But that doesn't mean others will be. Any American traveling to Russia right now is an idiot, and I include the press in that.
So you are ok if a U.S. high school class wants to take a trip to Iraq this summer? You draw the line at Russia. Any other places on the list? Or just Russia?

So you are ok if a U.S. high school class wants to take a trip to Iraq this summer? You draw the line at Russia. Any other places on the list? Or just Russia?
I would not be in favor of a trip to Iran….China and HS kids/chaperone's, I could live with. North Korea…no. Russia probably not today. And tge Russia trip would get the most interesting of these, IMO.

Reactions: torbee

There are a ton of places I wouldn't recommend kids to go to because they don't know local laws. But, yes, Russia is number 1 on the list of countries not to go to.

I'd feel more safe in Iraq than I would in Russia.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
There are a ton of places I wouldn't recommend kids to go to because they don't know local laws. But, yes, Russia is number 1 on the list of countries not to go to.

I'd feel more safe in Iraq than I would in Russia.
How about high school kids and a class, group or club trip? We aren’t talking about where you would feel safe or would be willing to travel.

So no more parental choice when it comes to school?
Where do you want to take this discussion? Do you want to talk about topics other than High School students or groups being allowed to travel to countries that our government deems risky?

FREEDOM!

Where do you want to take this discussion? Do you want to talk about topics other than High School students or groups being allowed to travel to countries that our government deems risky?
Since when is China risky to visit? Far from it. In this instance these politicians are defying their own party’s belief in parental rights at school. Can you see that? That has been the point.

This thread is about where high school students are allowed to travel? If you wouldn’t let HS kids travel to Iraq, why?

I’ll go with what our government states in its travel advisories.

Based on current events I would now allow high school students to travel to Israel either.

But apparently not allowing high school kids to travel to China, who is indeed an enemy of the U.S, is enough for outrage from the left. Vote out these cultist cretins!!! I can think of a lot of other reason to vote them out, just not this.
China is an enemy? Why? A rival, sure. But an enemy?

Reactions: torbee
Shouldn’t that be a decision for parents?

No. If the trip is school sponsored then someone needs to make sure the trip is completely safe. If parents want to take their kid to China, then they can book themselves a family trip.

No. If the trip is school sponsored then someone needs to make sure the trip is completely safe. If parents want to take their kid to China, then they can book themselves a family trip.

Can’t the school and parents make the decision if it’s safe or not? I am confused to why they can’t but a part time state legislator can.

China is an enemy? Why? A rival, sure. But an enemy?
It's not about being an enemy. It's about not understanding the environment and the impact that decisions can make. Even some things can't be controlled. Look at how they handled Covid. It's not worth the risk.

I'm not say a legislator is the correct person to make the call, but post schools and parents are not informed enough to be able to make a decision.

It's not about being an enemy. It's about not understanding the environment and the impact that decisions can make. Even some things can't be controlled. Look at how they handled Covid. It's not worth the risk.
Have you left the country? Serious question. I don’t count Mexico or Canada. Every country has a different environment and laws. In your opinion students should never travel abroad when affiliated with an educational institution? Just trying to get this straight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT