ADVERTISEMENT

iowa has played no good teams beside Iowa St.

While I wouldn't call any of iowas opponents "great" I would never say that Iowa state is the best team we played. And also the fact that we totally ran all over them in the second half pretty much proves we deserved to win that game

Ol Ray needs a big hat to keep his head out of sun. He's got some dain bramage.

Ray Hagar is the political reporter for the Reno Gazette- Journal. WHY is he commenting on our beloved Hawkeyes? Is he a clown transplant?
resized-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-know-what-i-m-doing-but-when-i-do-i-m-clueless-5d7375

maybe he doesn't watch football and heard refs wear black and white then saw our uniforms thinking Iowa players were refs scoring TDs for the opposing team? That at least sounds more plausible

Reactions: Nurman
Pitt won at V Tech Saturday. I think ISU will surprise this year, they are much improved. I think we will look back and see we have beaten 4 good teams already. NT is the only bad team we have played.

Neither have I.

There is a 14 page thread on ClownFanatic on the Iowa / WI game which is a little strange.
That is strange. I was at the game Saturday in Madison and there was a kid wearing Iowa state garb cheering for Wisconsin sitting right behind me with a bunch of whisky fans. Very strange.

That is strange. I was at the game Saturday in Madison and there was a kid wearing Iowa state garb cheering for Wisconsin sitting right behind me with a bunch of whisky fans. Very strange.
The lad is too young to appreciate that Bucky smoked Cy last time the teams played.:D

Iowa State is probably the 4th best team the Hawkeyes have played.
I looked a couple weeks ago and it showed there were only 2 teams better than ISU on the Iowa schedule. There were only two teams worst than Iowa on the ISU schedule. It says less about ISU relative to Iowa, as that result is known, but it really highlighted the difference in schedules. I suspect that will look a little different today, particularly with Iowa moving up as a more difficult team on the ISU schedule and some reshuffling of the top teams on the Iowa schedule.

Edit: I forgot to add that opponent difficulty was adjusted based on whether it was a home or away game.

Last edited:
I looked a couple weeks ago and it showed there were only 2 teams better than ISU on the Iowa schedule. There were only two teams worst than Iowa on the ISU schedule. It says less about ISU relative to Iowa, as that result is known, but it really highlighted the difference in schedules. I suspect that will look a little different today, particularly with Iowa moving up as a more difficult team on the ISU schedule and some reshuffling of the top teams on the Iowa schedule.

NW, NEB, WIS, ILL, MINN, IND, PITT, all better than ISU. Dream on.

What I was looking at was computer ranking adjusted for where the games are played. I did not make this up.

The thing is, no one knows which the toughest games will be until the season is over. Preseason rankings are meaningless! Always have been. That's why only a moron would say things like "Iowa is the second easiest game on ISU's schedule..." etc. only two weeks into the season.

NW, NEB, WIS, ILL, MINN, IND, PITT, all better than ISU. Dream on.
I found a later version but it does not yet include Saturday's result. It shows Wisconsin, Northwestern and Nebraska as the only teams tougher than Iowa State on the Iowa schedule, adjusted for home or road. This is prior to Wisconsin & Nebraska losses and ISU win.

Kansas, Northern Iowa and Texas are the only weaker teams on ISU's schedule. Iowa would be ahead of both Texas Tech and Toledo, except those are road games and Iowa was at home.

If you look at ISU's probability of future wins on ESPN's site, only Texas is greater than 50%. Barely. Iowa is favored in all their games by a fairly wide margin, other than Northwestern and Nebraska. I'm surprised Nebraska is still shown as a loss, but it is on the road.

Last edited:
I found a later version but it does not yet include Saturday's result. It shows Wisconsin, Northwestern and Nebraska as the only teams tougher than Iowa State on the Iowa schedule, adjusted for home or road. This is prior to Wisconsin & Nebraska losses and ISU win.

Kansas, Northern Iowa and Texas are the only weaker teams on ISU's schedule. Iowa would be ahead of both Texas Tech and Toledo, except those are road games and Iowa was at home.

If you look at ISU's probability of wins on ESPN's site, only Texas is greater than 50%. Barely. Iowa is favored in all their games by a fairly wide margin, other than Northwestern and Nebraska. I'm surprised Nebraska is still shown as a loss, but it is on the road.
ISU might have negative net yards against Pitt .

Illinois State would also beat the clones

Edit: I forgot to add that opponent difficulty was adjusted based on whether it was a home or away game.
The Big 12 isn't as tough as advertised. Texas is a mess, T. Tech has no defense, Kansas may be the worst D1 team in college football, and K-State has been underwhelming.

While the NCAA conspiracy to cheat ISU out of a sure win against an inferior Iowa team is newsworthy, I do not see how it relates to the Lance Dunbar injury which was the subject of the original tweet. Next time this guy tweets about college football I am going to respond with my top ten list of best relief pitchers of the 1990s.

Actually I think Pittsburgh has a decent shot at getting to the ACC title game.
Virginia
@Georgia Tech - Playing bad
Syracuse
North Carolina
Notre Dame
@ Duke
Louisville
Miami

So they are okay. Oh and Wisconsin.

Personally I think Illinois State would beat Iowa Sttate.

If you look at ISU's probability of wins on ESPN's site, only Texas is greater than 50%. Barely. Iowa is favored in all their games by a fairly wide margin, other than Northwestern and Nebraska. I'm surprised Nebraska is still shown as a loss, but it is on the road.
I'd definitely put Pitt/Wisky/NW/Nebby and probably Indiana ahead of ISU...... and at this point you could make an argument either way for every other team on Iowa's schedule with the exceptions of Maryland and North Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT