ADVERTISEMENT

iowa has played no good teams beside Iowa St.

I think Pitt is going to surprise people this year. Their QB is solid, Boyd is as good as they come and you can tell that Pat has already started to change the culture there.

Reactions: IaHawk44
The Big 12 isn't as tough as advertised. Texas is a mess, T. Tech has no defense, Kansas may be the worst D1 team in college football, and K-State has been underwhelming.

Seriously, the top 4 teams (Baylor, TCU, OK, WVU) haven't really played anyone. Baylor decided to play no one remotely tough non-conference, TCU beat an incredibly mediocre Minnesota team by 6, Oklahoma won at Tennessee after an epic comeback, and now Tennessee looks pretty average, and WVU only played a terrible Maryland team, what is the Big 12's best non-conference win anyway....they all seem pretty average to me.

Somewhere Ray Hagar is sitting in his mom's basement clapping his hands because people are talking about him on a message board.

The Big 12 isn't as tough as advertised. Texas is a mess, T. Tech has no defense, Kansas may be the worst D1 team in college football, and K-State has been underwhelming.
You may eventually be proven right. People attacked me and called me names for my comments, but I was just reporting on the computer rankings. I wasn't expressing an opinion.

You may eventually be proven right. People attacked me and called me names for my comments, but I was just reporting on the computer rankings. I wasn't expressing an opinion.

I get what your saying, but Iowa State's two wins so far are against Northern Iowa and Kansas. UNI and Kansas.

I would bet money that Wisconsin and Pitt would crush Iowa State. I also think the Big 12 is overrated so there's that.

I get what your saying, but Iowa State's two wins so far are against Northern Iowa and Kansas. UNI and Kansas.

I would bet money that Wisconsin and Pitt would crush Iowa State. I also think the Big 12 is overrated so there's that.
Your first statement is a fact. Your second, an opinion.

You can play semantics until all the cows come home. It is one's opinion when they substitute fact with judgement. In this case, the assumption by you is that computer rankings are perfect and ideal without any sort of bias. That is a mistake. Most computer rankings are impacted by polls (preseason or otherwise) other human rankings and/or inputs based upon previous season(s) data. As an example, at this juncture one year ago, the computer rankings had the big xii as certainly one of the top two or three conferences in major college football. By the time the 2014 season had played out, the SEC, the ACC, the Pac12 and the Big Ten each were represented in the inaugural FBS championship playoff. That is hardly the ringing endorsement of the big xii that everyone was hearing about earlier that very season.

So, were the computers completely unbiased and correct week five, let's say, of last season or were those same computers right following the conclusion of the 2014 regular season?

I looked at Sagarin and it says Iowa has a tougher schedule than isu. Clone fans love to pimp Sagarin so I am surprised Psyclone didn't bring it up.

I looked at Sagarin and it says Iowa has a tougher schedule than isu. Clone fans love to pimp Sagarin so I am surprised Psyclone didn't bring it up.
It does not say Iowa has a tougher schedule. Sagarin is looking at results of games played thus far. Wait a few weeks and you'll see that number change. Just take a quick glance at Iowa States' upcoming games and you'll understand.

It does not say Iowa has a tougher schedule. Sagarin is looking at results of games played thus far. Wait a few weeks and you'll see that number change. Just take a quick glance at Iowa States' upcoming games and you'll understand.

Yes it does. It has a schedule ranking and right now Iowa's is higher than isu. isu sucks with a worse schedule than Iowa right now. If their schedule gets tougher what will isu be, suckier? Or just isu.

ISU usually has a tougher schedule than Iowa, because A) they get to have Iowa on their schedule instead of Iowa St like we do, B) they now have to play a 9 game schedule against the rest of the Big 12, and usually the worst teams have the best SOS because their opponents win more games, if we had to play the entire Big 10, our SOS would probably be greater, regardless, ISU usually get 1-2 conference wins a year with that schedule, while Iowa usually gets 4-5, there's no point in always having a strong SOS when you lose all the time

Yes it does. It has a schedule ranking and right now Iowa's is higher than isu. isu sucks with a worse schedule than Iowa right now. If their schedule gets tougher what will isu be, suckier? Or just isu.
Yes Iowa's schedule ranking is higher"right now" because Iowa State is just getting into their conference games, which are significantly more difficult than Iowa's conference game. Iowa has the easiest power 5 schedule. Iowa State has the most difficult.

Yes Iowa's schedule ranking is higher"right now" because Iowa State is just getting into their conference games, which are significantly more difficult than Iowa's conference game. Iowa has the easiest power 5 schedule. Iowa State has the most difficult.

Iowa had the easiest power five schedule prior to the season. Which is really silly if you think about it. It's based upon last year's results more than anything. Northwestern looks like a much stronger opponent on our schedule now than five weeks ago. I think Pitt will end up being a top 30 or so team as well. If Wisconsin runs the table or close to it, that win will be viewed much better. Let's see where the chips may fall before playing the schedule card.

Doesn't really matter how tough your schedule is when you are bad to begin with. Iowa State can play an NFL schedule, but that doesn't change the fact that they aren't very good. So let's just face the fact that as of right now Iowa is good and ISU is not good. Don't need ESPN, Sagarin, or any other computer ranking system to tell me that. Until their play on the field shows evidence to indicate otherwise, I will choose to believe that ISU is just not good.

isu is only 2-2 with a worse schedule than Iowa right now. So much for the argument isu would do so much better if they played Iowa's schedule. With who Iowa has played so far, isu could easily be 1-4. Thinking isu could more games with Iowa's schedule is laughable. Who do you think isu would beat? North Texas, Purdue and maybe Maryland? Maybe Illinois State. So what is that 4-8?

What a joke.

Are you using the same computer each time you make your comments? Seems at times it's Sagarin then ESPN then some computer created by an ISU fan. If you aren't careful LC will need to point out to you that you need to be consistent in your approach like deciding if a conference champion is the same as a division champion in a different sport. You know things like that.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
isu is only 2-2 with a worse schedule than Iowa right now. So much for the argument isu would do so much better if they played Iowa's schedule. With who Iowa has played so far, isu could easily be 1-4. Thinking isu could more games with Iowa's schedule is laughable. Who do you think isu would beat? North Texas, Purdue and maybe Maryland? Maybe Illinois State. So what is that 4-8?

What a joke.

ISU would get a big benefit playing our schedule, they would get to play themselves!

When you're Iowa State, any schedule is the most difficult in the nation. Leave it to the Cyclones to argue strength of schedule after they've lost to big brother. Face it, your football program is a dumpster fire.

Reactions: HerkyFan
I looked a couple weeks ago and it showed there were only 2 teams better than ISU on the Iowa schedule. There were only two teams worst than Iowa on the ISU schedule. It says less about ISU relative to Iowa, as that result is known, but it really highlighted the difference in schedules. I suspect that will look a little different today, particularly with Iowa moving up as a more difficult team on the ISU schedule and some reshuffling of the top teams on the Iowa schedule.

Edit: I forgot to add that opponent difficulty was adjusted based on whether it was a home or away game.
The latest update now shows 3 teams better than ISU on Iowa's schedule - @Northwestern, @ Wisconsin and @ Nebraska in that order.

In the latest data there are now 4 teams worse than Iowa on the ISU schedule.

Once again note that these are adjusted for where the games are played, which make a big difference. In the case of the ISU schedule, the only home game ahead of Iowa is TCU. That's understandable. All ISU road games are currently ahead of Iowa on the computer difficulty ranking. Texas Tech is just ahead of Iowa, so if Iowa State can upset Tech on the road, Iowa will move up on the list.

When you look at the degree of difficult of both schedules, all away games rank higher than all home games with once exception for each team. TCU at Ames breaks the pattern in the ISU schedule. Pitt at Iowa City slips ahead of the game at Indiana, breaking the pattern in the Iowa schedule. If Indiana could have closed the deal on Ohio State, all road games would have been tougher than all home games.

Iowa's schedule - toughest to easiest as of 10/8
@ NORTHWESTERN
@ WISCONSIN
@ NEBRASKA
@ IOWA STATE
PITT
@ INDIANA
ILLINOIS
MINNESOTA
ILLINOIS STATE
MARYLAND
PURDUE
NORTH TEXAS

ISU's schedule - toughest to easiest as of 10/8
@ BAYLOR
@ OKLAHOMA
@ WEST VIRVIGNIA
TCU
@ KANSAS STATE
@ TOLEDO
@ TEXAS TECH
IOWA
OKLAHOMA STATE
TEXAS
NORTHERN IOWA
KANSAS

Last edited:
Reactions: mtdew_fever
What
The latest update now shows 3 teams better than ISU on Iowa's schedule - @Northwestern, @ Wisconsin and @ Nebraska in that order.

In the lasted data there are now 4 teams worse than Iowa on the ISU schedule.

Once again note that these are adjusted for where the games are played, which make a big difference. In the case of the ISU schedule, the only home game ahead of Iowa is TCU. That's understandable. All ISU road games are currently ahead of Iowa on the computer difficulty ranking. Texas Tech is just ahead of Iowa, so if Iowa State can upset Tech on the road, Iowa will move up on the list.

When you look at the degree of difficult of both schedules, all away games rank higher than all home games with once exception for each team. TCU at Ames breaks the pattern in the ISU schedule. Pitt at Iowa City slips ahead of the game at Indiana, breaking the pattern in the Iowa schedule. If Indiana could have closed the deal on Ohio State, all road games would have been tougher than all home games.

@ NORTHWESTERN
@ WISCONSIN
@ NEBRASKA
@ IOWA STATE
PITT
@ INDIANA
ILLINOIS
MINNESOTA
ILLINOIS STATE
MARYLAND
PURDUE
NORTH TEXAS

@ BAYLOR
@ OKLAHOMA
@ WEST VIRVIGNIA
TCU
@ KANSAS STATE
@ TOLEDO
@ TEXAS TECH
IOWA
OKLAHOMA STATE
TEXAS
NORTHERN IOWA
KANSAS

Where do these rankings come from? A preseason rag....you have teams ranked ahead of Iowa that are currently ranked below. Am I missing something? At least post how you came to your rankings... Right now they are wrong!

What

Where do these rankings come from? A preseason rag....you have teams ranked ahead of Iowa that are currently ranked below. Am I missing something? At least post how you came to your rankings... Right now they are wrong!

Clone fans usually pimp Sagarin until it shows that Iowa has played a tougher schedule so far. Then they dream something else up.

@ NORTHWESTERN
@ WISCONSIN
@ NEBRASKA
@ IOWA STATE
PITT
@ INDIANA
ILLINOIS
MINNESOTA
ILLINOIS STATE
MARYLAND
PURDUE
NORTH TEXAS

@ BAYLOR
@ OKLAHOMA
@ WEST VIRVIGNIA
TCU
@ KANSAS STATE
@ TOLEDO
@ TEXAS TECH
IOWA
OKLAHOMA STATE
TEXAS
NORTHERN IOWA
KANSAS

Why don't you use Sagarin as clone fans usually do? Oh right, I know because Sagarin shows Iowa has played a tougher schedule so far and yet isu is still 2-2.

@ NORTHWESTERN
@ WISCONSIN
@ NEBRASKA
@ IOWA STATE
PITT
@ INDIANA
ILLINOIS
MINNESOTA
ILLINOIS STATE
MARYLAND
PURDUE
NORTH TEXAS

@ BAYLOR
@ OKLAHOMA
@ WEST VIRVIGNIA
TCU
@ KANSAS STATE
@ TOLEDO
@ TEXAS TECH
IOWA
OKLAHOMA STATE
TEXAS
NORTHERN IOWA
KANSAS
My god this is idiotic. Clearly at Toledo was a tougher game than playing iowa at home, right? I meam we watched both games and clearly toledo is better than iowa because some random computer says so. Use your brain just a little bit, not a lot, just a little tiny bit.

My god this is idiotic. Clearly at Toledo was a tougher game than playing iowa at home, right? I meam we watched both games and clearly toledo is better than iowa because some random computer says so. Use your brain just a little bit, not a lot, just a little tiny bit.

When all else fails clone fans now cling to an imaginary SOS system no one has heard of.

What's next?

What

These are originally Sagarin rankings, but are adjusted for home or away schedule. It's true if you just look at neutral sites they look different, but this was a discussion about schedule difficulty.

I'm just publishing the data and not adjusting for my or anyone else's opinion. Iowa State looked better than Toledo, but the computers don't go by looks. You have to win the games and Iowa State didn't win that one. They also beat Arkansas, despite Arkansas running up a lot of stats. Toledo could go undefeated and if they do they will maintain a high computer ranking and will have some good wins on their resume.

I'm just publishing the data and not adjusting for my or anyone else's opinion. Iowa State looked better than Toledo, but the computers don't go by looks. You have to win the games and Iowa State didn't win that one. They also beat Arkansas, despite Arkansas running up a lot of stats. Toledo could go undefeated and if they do they will maintain a high computer ranking and will have some good wins on their resume.

Just use Sagarin straight up. Then you can tell us who has a tougher schedule right now Iowa or isu.

These are originally Sagarin rankings, but are adjusted for home or away schedule. It's true if you just look at neutral sites they look different, but this was a discussion about schedule difficulty.

Ok, thanks! I think it would be hard to determine how strong a schedule is until you get half way through the conference slate. Preseason is based on last year or certain amount of the last few years averages? How can you really know the answer until most of the season is played? Alabama number 1 on Sargarin....that already smells fishy to me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT