ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa - High school state

Oh sorry Neo. Rathjen. Caleb’s parents. I was more referrencing the small world connection of the families as 2 of the wrestlers people have stated to watch at state in this thread are Caleb Rathjen and Trevor Anderson.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
Egg-zactly. ^^ I have always been a proponent of NOT seeding the IA state tourney because while it sounds like a great idea, I somehow knew that there would still be plenty of matchups in the earlier rounds that people would be upset about. And here we are.

It would seem that seeding would result in fewer of those occurrences than random draw. Honestly, I was dumbfounded when I heard that Iowa historically has not seeded the state tournament.

Reactions: crablegs1
It would seem that seeding would result in fewer of those occurrences than random draw. Honestly, I was dumbfounded when I heard that Iowa historically has not seeded the state tournament.

Just a couple points of clarification...although it is true that Iowa has not seeded their state tourney, they did fill out the 16 man brackets by matching District Champs v. District Runner Up's, so there was some effort there to help avoid two district champs meeting each other in round 1.

But since it was otherwise a random draw, two high flying district champs certainly could meet up as early as round #2.

The other, and to me the biggie, notable argument against seeding was that there wasn't a lot of shared competition between the west and the east sides of the state. So someone with say a 38-1 record from the west side of the state looks pretty glossy...only in that weight class, that year, the better competition was on the east side of the state. So say a 33-5 east side kid there could look worse on paper, but in reality would cream the west side kid...as 4 or 5 of his losses were to the real #1...who just happened to be in his conference, etc.

Now then, there has been an increase over the years in terms of teams wrestling outside their geographic area, and as such, I would agree that there is more head-to-head, and/or comparative, results to evaluate nowadays. This makes seeding the state tourney more feasible...but I can virtually guarantee that every year we will hear the same complaints about how the seeding committee got it wrong, etc.

Bottom line...if you want to be the champ then you have to win them all!

The seeding deal while good in theory doesn’t seem to be implemented too well. For those that know me, I obviously am most interested in Caleb Rathjen due to my relationship with the family. Kirk said he is ready so we shall see. Also Trevor Anderson as my boy wrestled with and plays soccer with him so through the years have also gotten to know the Anderson family. A bit of small world. Bobby Anderson and Kirk were roommates at Central and Bobby was the one who introduced Kirk to Ashley. Both great families with great kids so will be rooting for both.
Ah.... is that how Kirk met Ashley? I was wondering how those two love birds got together, thank for clearing this up. Wait, who are Ashley and Kirk? :)
Ashley is a friend of Bobbys.... Kirks wife

Yep they went to high school together and Booby and Kirk were roommates at Central. Wasn’t getting into personal relationships per se just as both Trevor Anderson and obviously Caleb Rathjen were wrestlers to watch in this thread thought I would throw out the small world part. Both great families so wish the boys the best.

Yep they went to high school together and Booby and Kirk were roommates at Central. Wasn’t getting into personal relationships per se just as both Trevor Anderson and obviously Caleb Rathjen were wrestlers to watch in this thread thought I would throw out the small world part. Both great families so wish the boys the best.
Good stuff - everybody loves Boobys.

Oh sorry Neo. Rathjen. Caleb’s parents. I was more referrencing the small world connection of the families as 2 of the wrestlers people have stated to watch at state in this thread are Caleb Rathjen and Trevor Anderson.
Just a little ribbing, which is how I met this one girl....well never mind. I wish I still lived in the small world I had in IC. I get a little jealous when IA Wrestling State Tourny rolls around. Only 2 schools in my part of Ohio even have wrestling teams.

Those Iowa wrestling communities have such a great bond. My cousin/friend coached North Cedar a few years back and I got to go to the district or regional (don't remember which) in Wilton, pretty cool stuff.

Reactions: natchrlman
Just a little ribbing, which is how I met this one girl....well never mind. I wish I still lived in the small world I had in IC. I get a little jealous when IA Wrestling State Tourny rolls around. Only 2 schools in my part of Ohio even have wrestling teams.

Those Iowa wrestling communities have such a great bond. My cousin/friend coached North Cedar a few years back and I got to go to the district or regional (don't remember which) in Wilton, pretty cool stuff.

I've always said that the best wrestling community in Iowa is Manchester West Delaware. They aren't one of the super teams with kids from all over, but always have a ton of kids out, no easy weights, and a handful of studs. If they are in your district the gym will have an extra 1000 people and be about 20 degrees hotter.

That's a lot of effort to analyze a 13 or 14 year old kid. ;-)

What's his "wrestling situation?"
That's a lot of effort to analyze a 13 or 14 year old kid. ;-)

What's his "wrestling situation?"

Ha...

Yeah, I suppose when someone asked about Garvin, a simple, “I video-interviewed him this weekend for The Predicament. He is nice” probably would have been good enough.

The seeding deal while good in theory doesn’t seem to be implemented too well. For those that know me, I obviously am most interested in Caleb Rathjen due to my relationship with the family. Kirk said he is ready so we shall see. Also Trevor Anderson as my boy wrestled with and plays soccer with him so through the years have also gotten to know the Anderson family. A bit of small world. Bobby Anderson and Kirk were roommates at Central and Bobby was the one who introduced Kirk to Ashley. Both great families with great kids so will be rooting for both.

And they were also roommates with Dan Gabrielson, correct?

Also, the Tenold twins are the sons of Dan’s sister.

Dan has become one of my favorite people in the HS wrestling world.

Austin Kegley has been amazing this year. 3A 113.

The kid has 2 losses... 1 to an out of state kid, one to Ayala.

Besides those two losses, all of his wins have been by bonus points. I think only one of his matches went the full 6 minutes.

I wrote an article last week about the undefeated guys going into districts that kind of hit on some of this... the most dominant 3A guys this year have been Lance Runyon and Drake Ayala... I’ll dig up that article and post it...

Reactions: WatWest00
I've always said that the best wrestling community in Iowa is Manchester West Delaware. They aren't one of the super teams with kids from all over, but always have a ton of kids out, no easy weights, and a handful of studs. If they are in your district the gym will have an extra 1000 people and be about 20 degrees hotter.
They just won state duals!!!

Reactions: woodsiding
According to the IHSAA:

Each weight class will be seeded using a computerized system – with
oversight provided by the IHSAA – and the top eight wrestlers will be seeded, while the remaining eight will be drawn in at random. Efforts will be made to ensure wrestlers from the same district tournaments are placed in different quartiles of the
bracket.

CRITERIA
The criteria used by TrackWrestling to determine seeds gives points to qualifiers based on the following factors, listed in order of their use:
1. Head-to-head competition
2. Competition against common opponents
3. Returning state champion
4. Returning second- or third-place finisher in previous season (equal value)
5. Returning fourth- through eighth-place finisher from previous season (valued in order)
6. District champion
7. Returning state qualifier in previous season
8. Winning percentage in the current season

When compared to every other wrestler in their brackets, qualifiers receive one “point” for their criteria advantage, reaching a maximum of 15 “points” per bracket. If no decision can be made using the criteria and winning percentages are the same, each wrestler receives a half-point (0.5 points).
The new seeding procedure is nearly as WORTHLESS as the officiating. The officiating Day 1 was an absolute joke. Stay fit officials, and the outcome of matches should not be affected or determined by your EGO.

Champ. Round 1 - Drake Ayala (Fort Dodge) 38-0 won by fall over Brennan Amos (Newton) 26-13 (Fall 1:01)
Champ. Round 1 - Caleb Rathjen (Ankeny) 38-1 won by fall over Kohler Ruggles (Bettendorf) 14-24 (Fall 1:07)
Champ. Round 1 - Hunter Garvin (Iowa City, West) 37-3 won by tech fall over Cael Bredar (North Scott) 23-24 (TF-1.5 5:21 (20-5))

Robert Avila Jr. (Lisbon) 49-1 won by fall over Jalen Collins (WACO) 35-10 (Fall 2:45)
Cael Happel (Lisbon) 47-0 won by tech fall over Gabe Smith (Riverside, Oakland) 40-11 (TF-1.5 3:20 (21-5))
Cobe Siebrecht (Lisbon) 47-0 won by tech fall over Zach Hammes (Pekin) 37-7 (TF-1.5 3:26 (19-3))

The new seeding procedure is nearly as WORTHLESS as the officiating. The officiating Day 1 was an absolute joke. Stay fit officials, and the outcome of matches should not be affected or determined by your EGO.

You there?

Kid from West Sioux pins Siebrecht and then goes 0-2. What a couple of days for that young man.

Kid from West Sioux pins Siebrecht and then goes 0-2. What a couple of days for that young man.

That’s a weird little quarter. Former placer Caiden Jones was beaten by Freshman from Riceville, Lawson Losee... and the West Sioux kid was beaten first round by Hoeger... which he’s a good kid, he’s been to state a couple times, but I figured Lynott may have enough positive juju from yesterday going to get past him... Then Jones beats Lynott out.

Reactions: IAChief32
That’s a weird little quarter. Former placer Caiden Jones was beaten by Freshman from Riceville, Lawson Losee... and the West Sioux kid was beaten first round by Hoeger... which he’s a good kid, he’s been to state a couple times, but I figured Lynott may have enough positive juju from yesterday going to get past him... Then Jones beats Lynott out.

And I think Lynott pinned Jones yesterday at duals.

Seems like Avila got screwed. His only loss this season was Travis Ford-Melton from Illinois at Cliff Keen Independence.

If you are ranked #1 then the rest is all noise and you just need to go out and take care of business. No need to worry about seeding since you are supposed to beat everyone anyways.

If you are not seeded then it’s your time anyways to ignore the seedlings and go out and prove everyone wrong. It is time to wrestle with a chip on your shoulder and mow people down.

And seeded or blind draw there is no way to please everyone. You can’t always get what you want..but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need...

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
If you are ranked #1 then the rest is all noise and you just need to go out and take care of business. No need to worry about seeding since you are supposed to beat everyone anyways.

If you are not seeded then it’s your time anyways to ignore the seedlings and go out and prove everyone wrong. It is time to wrestle with a chip on your shoulder and mow people down.

And seeded or blind draw there is no way to please everyone. You can’t always get what you want..but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need...
images

Reactions: EWCEWC60

Why seed anybody then? Just draw it like they used to do internationally? You get who you get and beat the guy in front of you amiright?

Reactions: EWCEWC60
I liked the old way. My son entered this thing ranked 6th a few years back and wrestled on Sat night. He beat a few higher ranked kids along the way. He was not supposed to be there at the end but made it through while everyone else worried about rankings and where they fell on the bracket. Lost a close match in the finals. Great experience and great ride as a parent!

There is no perfect way to seed. If there was, they wouldn't even wrestle the matches. Any wrestling fan with a few brain cells left knows this. Before everyone said "any" attempt at seeding would be better than the draw and now people are complaining about the attempt. For eff's sake. Stop saying "so and so is rated number X"--rankings are subjective.

I'm OK with the effort to seed. I was also OK with the old version. So sometimes the second best kid finished 3rd? Big deal.

And they were also roommates with Dan Gabrielson, correct?

Also, the Tenold twins are the sons of Dan’s sister.

Dan has become one of my favorite people in the HS wrestling world.
Interesting, because one of Dan’s favorite people is Dan.

Anybody know much about Deville Dentis from DM East? Is he going to wrestle in college? He seems like a high ceiling type kid. Found an article online that says he didn’t start wrestling until 7th grade so his progression has been solid.

I think at one point he was going to Iowa Lakes. That was awhile ago though.

Quarterfinal - Drake Ayala (Fort Dodge) 39-0 won by fall over Dawson Biermann (Epworth, Western Dubuque) 26-10 (Fall 1:49)
Quarterfinal - Caleb Rathjen (Ankeny) 39-1 won by tech fall over Noah Blubaugh (Ankeny Centennial) 29-11 (TF-1.5 4:37 (20-5))
Quarterfinal - Hunter Garvin (Iowa City, West) 38-3 won by decision over Nick Miller (Waukee) 32-9 (Dec 12-5)
Quarterfinal - Cael Happel (Lisbon) 48-0 won by injury default over Dillon Lynott (West Sioux, Hawarden) 43-4 (Inj. 0:03)
Quarterfinal - Robert Avila Jr. (Lisbon) 50-1 won by major decision over Trey Schuck (Sibley-Ocheyedan) 44-3 (MD 13-4)
Quarterfinal - Cobe Siebrecht (Lisbon) 48-0 won by fall over Easton Benson (AC/GC) 29-12 (Fall 2:23)

Last edited:
I feel TERRIBLE for Blake Thomsen. DQ’d in the quarters for a slam that was questionable as hell.

I tweeted yesterday that he was the most impressive guy I had seen all tournament... he is in the zone right now.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT