ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Highschool Tournament

Folks are talking about Gabe and Tate meeting in college. Gabe is at least starting at 174 and Tate is a tall dude and looks to me like a college 184 and like he could even grow into a 197. I wonder how much they’ll meet in college. May not be as much as some folks think.
May not meet at all.

Kueter is going to work early! Up 8-2 with 30 sec left in the first

2nd period. Ben starts down. Reversal. Up 10-2. Escape Lewis 10-3. TD Ben. 12-3. Now 14-4 and Ben is getting swipes. 17-4 end of 2nd

Ben with a TD in the 3rd for TF win! Congrats!

4 time undefeated state champion! Legendary High School career!

Last edited:
I don’t know much about the Ross kid but he looked very impressive for a freshman wrestling at 195.

What’s his story? I know it’s a ways out but do we know if he’s an Iowa fan?
Exceptionally talented and has been on the radar for several years. His high school career is likely to resemble Kueter’s. Don’t think he’s one of those kids who grew up an Iowa fan but that could change.

It has nothing to do with how old he is and everything to do with his lack of success nationally. A very good HS wrestler in Iowa, though. Someone will pay him to wrestle in college but he will have much, much better financial offers than Iowa.

Side note, Waterloo Columbus has THREE wrestlers in the finals. Wow. That program was on life support just a few years ago after once again being raided by Don Bosco. Impressive stuff and kudos to their coaches.

And there it is. 3 champs. Wow. Had to be sweet getting the win at 220 over Bosco, who almost single handedly wrecked their program several years ago.

Gabe trains with him and obviously knows him well. Gabe can be a pretty persuasive guy.😉
keen-scream.gif

Kueter is special, what a career. Have to think he'll have a limited Kyle Snyder-esque schedule his whole career. Bowl games usually run late december/early Jan. All that matters is him getting into top wrestling shape in time for B1Gs and NCAA's while being healthy. My guess is he might even have less chance for injuries if he's not going through the grind of an entire wrestling season. As long as he finds time in the off-season to get mat time, maybe wrestle some freestyle and improve, I think we'll be okay.

I don’t know much about the Ross kid but he looked very impressive for a freshman wrestling at 195.

What’s his story? I know it’s a ways out but do we know if he’s an Iowa fan?
Between Drake, Teske, Fellers and many of his club friends like Kueter, Arnold, Block, Riggins etc having a connection I would think we got a good shot. Brands needs to earn his paycheck and make it happen.

Kueter is special, what a career. Have to think he'll have a limited Kyle Snyder-esque schedule his whole career. Bowl games usually run late december/early Jan. All that matters is him getting into top wrestling shape in time for B1Gs and NCAA's while being healthy. My guess is he might even have less chance for injuries if he's not going through the grind of an entire wrestling season. As long as he finds time in the off-season to get mat time, maybe wrestle some freestyle and improve, I think we'll be okay.
Very few athletes could pull it off, but Ben is so uniquely talent and focused that I think he can. Maybe he ends up putting down the blue print for Dreshaun to follow in his footsteps.

To recap...Three Iowa high school State Champs are future Hawks.
Actually, it's four if we count Borcherding Johnson who is gonna play football.

ISU gets one runner up and a fourth place kid from Prairie. And a sixth!

No one should ever question what program owns this State.

Naak always knew he could never beat Gabe straight up in a six minute match. His only chance was keeping it close and hoping for a miracle at the end.
Several Clone fans claimed after the first match this year that Naak would win all future matchups with GA.
Yeah...NO!

Last edited:

ISU gets one runner up.

Naak always knew he could never beat Gabe straight up in a six minute match. His only chance was keeping it close and hoping for a miracle at the end.
Several Clone fans claimed after the first match this year that Naak would win all future matchups with GA.
Yeah...NO!
Don’t want to rub any salt in the wounds, but it’s also worth noting that Gabe was basically wrestling up — not really cutting at all. Naak clearly was. Gabe will be hell on wheels at 74. He comin’ for ya, Carter!😉

One of the best 2-1 matches Ive seen. Both Gabe and Naak are going to be successful in college.
As close as the score was, and admitting I’m biased in Gabe’s favor, I thought he controlled the action fairly decisively. He had more than a 1:00 RT advantage which would have been a point at the next level, he had Naak dead to rights on the only deep shot by either guy (hats off to Tate for an impressive leg pass when Gabe brought him down to avoid the 2), he escaped without any trouble in OT, and he rode him out in OT without any real threat of an escape.

All due respect to Tate — but let it suffice to say I think it’s pretty clear we got the better guy (his 4-0 record head-to-head obviously supports my thesis as much as anything that happened tonight).

Last edited:
Actually, it's four if we count Borcherding Johnson who is gonna play football.

ISU gets one runner up.

Yeah...NO!
I have nothing but mad respect for Tate and his family!! If you knew them like I do you would understand. For them to keep focusing on his mom was a disgrace and feel for them. Wonderful family that know how to handle winning and losing. Wish we could have gotten them both and we would have been set at 174/184 for 4 years. With that being said I can’t express how happy I am about Gabe being a Hawk finally a gifted athlete that is a really really good wrestler. I suppose you could say Woods is like this as well but not too many Hawks are phenomenal athletes. Pretty damn good wrestlers yes but not to many that are this athletic.

Reactions: sdvike
Is Ross in football or does he go only wrestling? He looks so athletic with that size.
He is a beast in football (already). I believe the word is he likes it more, as well ;).

However, he is as equally as good if not better (potentially much better) at wrestling, as seen tonight.

Reactions: sdvike
Kale is coached by the brother-in-law of a very close friend. By all reports an outstanding young man, on and off the mat — and easily won his state championship despite a significant lower body injury he has had most of the season.
Kittelsen was a tough guy to face as well.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Does Gabe go as a freshman 174 next year if Brands doesn't return? Does he RS and Brands/Swafford go next year? Be interesting to see.
He did refer in an interview to being NCAA champ at 174 next year, but that may not mean much regarding how the lineup shakes out this fall.

Reactions: blcoach80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT