ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa HS Wrestling is fading -- Coincidence?

There were no byes twenty years ago at any of the sectionals I was around. With the exception of 103, you had to be somewhat tough to make districts. Idk how it is now, but 1a 20 yrs that is what I was around.

I'm not saying punish anyone but they would be stupid not to keep it in mind. Be really sure in their choices.
You really think they don't "keep it in mind?" LOL! They don't have the scholarships to recruit 30 blue chippers. They've signed a bunch of Iowa kids in this cycle, many who know the odds of them ever starting are slim.

You really think guys like Ayala, Kueter, Jesuroga, Riggins and Block aren't legit DI prospects? Would you rather these guys wrestle for Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, etc? They're going somewhere because of their production in H.S., in-state and out. They have options outside of Iowa I assure you. We will see if they flourish, flounder or somewhere in between, but I sure as hell wouldn't write them off because they're from Iowa.

Pretty sure Kolby Franklin and Gabe Arnold (soon to be Black Mamba) aren't from Iowa. I'm confident the Iowa Coaching Staff is scouring the country for talent, like they always have. You get some you want, you lose some you want, same as always.

In most states a 4x Champ doesn't mean much especially like Iowa because the field is so watered down...New Jersey has had only Three 4X Champs and 2 of them have Won NCAA Titles
Yea ok. How many non 4x Iowa champs have won NCAA titles? Get lost. Rutgers won’t win any major tournament ever.

Not talking about Rutgers..Just New Jersey and HS State Tournament..Im a huge fan of Iowa wrestling but theres no comparison of an Iowa HS State Champion (multiple classes) to a (one class) NJ Champ
Do all of the high schools with teams participate in the one class tourney?

Not talking about Rutgers..Just New Jersey and HS State Tournament..Im a huge fan of Iowa wrestling but theres no comparison of an Iowa HS State Champion (multiple classes) to a (one class) NJ Champ
This is for sure going to be true. A populous 1 class state with very good highschool wrestling will be much tough to win than a less populous state with 3 classes.

How many prep schools are in NJ tournament?
No prep schools are in the NJ state tournament. Only highschools, National Preps is the year end tournament for prep schools. I don't know how many NJ highschools have wrestling.

No prep schools are in the NJ state tournament. Only highschools, National Preps is the year end tournament for prep schools. I don't know how many NJ highschools have wrestling.
Ahh, I see. I thought there was a New Jersey tournament for prep schools. Is there only a national one?
Are all the private schools in the NJSIAA tournament?

Make no mistake, just because this PSU team won with "only" 3 PA starters( 2 point scorers), 1 was still an NCAA Champ scoring 22 points. Recruiting PA is still a HUGE part of overall success and great room depth.

On top of that, I posted in another topic that they have been VERY PA point scorer heavy in most of their championships. Recruiting top guys in your own backyard is paramount to long lasting success and always will be. In state tuition costs cannot be ignored and you can most often get local kids to come for less on top of any fandom generated from growing up around the University.

The Iowa High School resurgence that seems to be occurring right now is very important to Iowa, as long as they can recruit the right guys from it. Ayala definitely looks like he can be a big part of that if he can get healthy and Schriever has shown moxy. Rathjen is another they need to develop some more to help.

Incoming guys like Jesuroga should make a big impact right away and Kueter has the potential, depending on what Football does to his dedication to wrestling. Now, I am admittedly not yet sold on Riggins, but time will tell there.

So, that is 6(Ayala, Schriever, Rathjen, Jesuroga, Kueter and Riggins) young Iowa studs that could all make a substantial impact on the program. Considering how bare it has been for a while, it is funny that this topic was started on the biggest upswing for local talent in quite some time!

Here's the best Iowa only D1 team we have this year. These are the D1 starters from Iowa. I might have missed some.

125 Brody Teske R16,
133 Kyle Biscoglia 1-2
141 Cael Happel DNQ
149 Michael Blockus 1-2
157 Derek Holschlag 1-2
165 Austin Yant R16
174 Lance Runyon R16
184 Marcus Coleman 7th
197 Tanner Sloan 1-2
hvy Tyrell Gordon 1-2

Bench: Ayala, Isaac Judge, Cade Devos, Joel Divine, Max Lyon, Boone McDermott

Here's the best Iowa only D1 team we have this year. These are the D1 starters from Iowa. I might have missed some.

125 Brody Teske R16,
133 Kyle Biscoglia 1-2
141 Cael Happel DNQ
149 Michael Blockus 1-2
157 Derek Holschlag 1-2
165 Austin Yant R16
174 Lance Runyon R16
184 Marcus Coleman 7th
197 Tanner Sloan 1-2
hvy Tyrell Gordon 1-2

1 low AA is not exactly tearing it up.

1 low AA is not exactly tearing it up.
I don't think anyone said the current crop, already in DI is tearing it up. Just that the High Schoolers have drastically improved and you will soon see the results. I agree with that. Ayala, Schriever and Jesuroga will all be multiple AA's and I would expect a title or 2 out of those 3. Block, Kueter and Naaktgeboren have a bunch of potential as well.

If a couple others pan out that is a pretty deep group over a couple year recruiting cycle!

I don't think anyone said the current crop, already in DI is tearing it up. Just that the High Schoolers have drastically improved and you will soon see the results. I agree with that. Ayala, Schriever and Jesuroga will all be multiple AA's and I would expect a title or 2 out of those 3. Block, Kueter and Naaktgeboren have a bunch of potential as well.

If a couple others pan out that is a pretty deep group over a couple year recruiting cycle!
Unfortunately the above group includes the in state recruits from the last five years or so.

I think we may need to expand the “cultural,” fit criteria a bit.

Reactions: MVPFAN

I hear you but as Dub said that list was including a number of years of Iowa recruits so really shows how poor the talent level has been. I too am optimistic for some improvement but we need big time improvement over those numbers for the guys we are bringing in or we will be in a bad place. Teske and Happel are really the only guys on that list that were considered higher end guys. Still no AA for Teske, Happel still young.

Reactions: el dub

125 Brody Teske R16,
133 Kyle Biscoglia 1-2
141 Cael Happel DNQ
149 Michael Blockus 1-2
157 Derek Holschlag 1-2
165 Austin Yant R16
174 Lance Runyon R16
184 Marcus Coleman 7th
197 Tanner Sloan 1-2
hvy Tyrell Gordon 1-2

Not a perfect representation to only use starters. For example Costello would be the HWT. Probably not higher than Rd16 but point still stands. Or going back Glosser was a legit AA threat as a backup.

A down year for New Jersey (34) Qualifiers

125- Suriano Champ, Glory-2nd
133- Cannon 7th
141- Rivera 3rd, Composoto 7th
149-VanBrill 1-2
157- Petite 0-2
165- Griffith- 2nd
174- Lewis- 2nd
184- Poznanski- 3-2
197- Cardenes- 1-2
285- Fernandes- 3-2

All return next season except Nicky Corn Rows and Rivera. 1 Blair wrestler Cannon at 133..Surprised TNT Never recruit NJ ,They would roll here if they wanted. Whos the last good NJ to Iowa recruit 2x NCAA Champ Mocco?

Nice list.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
I don’t feel Iowa is fading, just got caught up with. Look at states that didn’t wrestle like Colorado with a larger population. The sport is growing and more studs are coming from states that didn’t wrestle at high levels before. Population and the sport growing in more states is the problem. It’s not just Iowa, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania that have great youth wrestling anymore, they’re studs all over the US now. Iowans aren’t born to be Dan Gable. You get what you earn. The pool is deeper now.

I don’t feel Iowa is fading, just got caught up with. Look at states that didn’t wrestle like Colorado with a larger population. The sport is growing and more studs are coming from states that didn’t wrestle at high levels before. Population and the sport growing in more states is the problem. It’s not just Iowa, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania that have great youth wrestling anymore, they’re studs all over the US now. Iowans aren’t born to be Dan Gable. You get what you earn. The pool is deeper now.
Yeah…. TnT should invest in a Rolfkin? subscription to get the down low on up and comers.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Nice list.
New Jersey came pretty close to having 3 of the 10 NCAA Champs this year. Griffith lost by 1 and Lewis lost in OT in Final. Why doesn't Iowa recruit NJ? We also have the top ranked Educational schools in USA (go back and forth with Massachusetts)

Last edited:
New Jersey came pretty close to having 3 of the 10 NCAA Champs this year. Griffith lost by 1 and Lewis lost in OT in Final. Why doesn't Iowa recruit NJ? We also have the top ranked Educational schools in USA (go back and forth with Massachusetts)

Iowa recruits everywhere. I'm sure they reach out and if it's not worth pursuing they don't.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Go back to the start of Iowa's dominance..Check the rosters, National Champs and place winners through the years. Compare to the last few years. Iowa did not have a single kid from the state of iowa in their starting lineup this year. Maybe check with the IHSAA on total participation in wrestling? I am quite sure it would be way down from years past. It was typical for Dual meets at our local high school to have multiple forfeits.
4 time state champ in Iowa doesn't necessarily equal great college recruit.
Or in our case Jimmie Guliban.

• Haha

Well by all means please start helping send all NJ studs our way. We are also accepting NIL money to assist the cause. If you send some in c/o Cesspool Wrestling Club LLC, we'll be sure to use it on NJ studs. TIA.

Just clueless! You Just better hope you can keep recruiting Pennsylvania! And bring in transfers from other States..Iowa HS Wrestling had ONE 7th place finisher this year at NCAA Tournament..HaHaHa..Colorado HS Wrestling smoked you and probably about 25 other States!.. Think Big and Maybe you can get a Iowa HS Wrestler in the 5/6TH Place match next year! This thread is about Iowa HS Wrestling fading..Right? Didn't look into it too much but I think Iowa HS outpointed Alaska HS this year!
83% chance that post goes over well. Poster asks for help and gets this. Nice work.

Reactions: 24 so far
Just clueless! You Just better hope you can keep recruiting Pennsylvania! And bring in transfers from other States..Iowa HS Wrestling had ONE 7th place finisher this year at NCAA Tournament..HaHaHa..Colorado HS Wrestling smoked you and probably about 25 other States!.. Think Big and Maybe you can get a Iowa HS Wrestler in the 5/6TH Place match next year! This thread is about Iowa HS Wrestling fading..Right? Didn't look into it too much but I think Iowa HS outpointed Alaska HS this year!
Didn’t Iowa just win Junior Duals a year or so ago? How did NJ do?

Look at the average age of kids coming out of school. When you red shirt or gray shirt that extra year of training helps. Ayala was a baby compared to most true freshman in college

Reactions: Inthecircle
OK we have established Iowa High Shcool wrestling has been down, but that was a pretty salty team that won Junior National Duals last year. My son has been on a couple National Championship teams and the Iowa team was for real. So give them time. Besides, does anyone here believe in cycles? Most of the world does.

Now on the other hand - NJ with 7 Aa's fell behind Illinois with 8 Aa's this year, so I am pretty stoked for Illinois wrestling.

I am amazed at the number of D1 wrestlers that Iowa high schools produce, although their AA production has been down (only 1 the year before and he too went to ISU - Gremmel at Hwt.) Maybe ISU should just recruit Iowa and the Hawks should go to PA. :)

OK we have established Iowa High Shcool wrestling has been down, but that was a pretty salty team that won Junior National Duals last year. My son has been on a couple National Championship teams and the Iowa team was for real. So give them time. Besides, does anyone here believe in cycles? Most of the world does.

Now on the other hand - NJ with 7 Aa's fell behind Illinois with 8 Aa's this year, so I am pretty stoked for Illinois wrestling.

I am amazed at the number of D1 wrestlers that Iowa high schools produce, although their AA production has been down (only 1 the year before and he too went to ISU - Gremmel at Hwt.) Maybe ISU should just recruit Iowa and the Hawks should go to PA. :)
What is it about champagne that they can't keep in state kids? If they kept 1 out of 5 studs they send to the market each year, they could be formidable.

Isn't this a College Wrestling Forum? How has that worked out? Just try to get 2 Iowa HS All-Americans next year..And not just 7th Place
Are you really this dense? NO ONE has been saying homegrown Iowa has done well in DI recently. I think everyone here, including the Hawkeye staff had accepted that. Which is why the most recent roster is so PA heavy.

Now, what HAS been said, and is 100% accurate, is that they are absolutely on a considerable rise. This is shown by that exact Junior National success along with the recent recruits not just going to Iowa, but several DI schools across the country.

Finally, NEWFLASH, just because you are a fan or from NJ doesn't make you someone special just because the state has top wrestling. How much have you personally done to cultivate that wrestling? I would bet, not much.

As an aside, MI had a national champ this year and I did actually coach a few of the guys at the youth level that made NCAA's this year. Do you see me on here touting that and dismissing Iowa? Show some class doofus...

What is it about champagne that they can't keep in state kids? If they kept 1 out of 5 studs they send to the market each year, they could be formidable.
The facilities are not very good at all. The previous head coach was a poor recruiter. When Mark Perry was here they recruited well and Mark Johnson was able to recruit. The school is pretty tough academically, so that can be a deterrent.

All of those things other than the coach being a poor recruiter are surmountable. We will see if Poeta can do better at recruiting. The verdict is still out on him.

Reactions: dunkej01 and el dub
Speaking of blast from the past…. Did those guys ever figure out what caused them Alton bros to throw lungs regularly?

Asking for a friend.
Andrew Alton had continuous shoulder problems from get go and Dillon developed same i believe 2nd yr in

... Now on the other hand - NJ with 7 Aa's fell behind Illinois with 8 Aa's this year, so I am pretty stoked for Illinois wrestling...

:)
The University of Illinois/Champaign is just a very tough place to recruit, regardless of the intercollegiate sport. Time will tell how well the new wrestling coaching staff competes (Mike Poeta).

It seems worth noting the 2022 NCAA wrestling tournament included eighteen (18) former Illinois high school advancers from the Big Ten Conference Tournament (Illinoismatmen). And I believe the total 2022 NCAA participation of former Illinois high school wrestlers was Thirty-seven (37). These numbers are consistent with the 2021 NCAA Nationals, and appear to be pretty good standards/benchmarks for evaluating the quality of Illinois High School wrestling.

Obviously the University of Illinois does have homegrown talent, the coaching staff needs to keep the talent in Champaign.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT