ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Iowa in good position with Stewart

Apr 8, 2003
Iowa in good position with Stewart
Blair Sanderson | Editor

yk2canvmfmao7roa8zpi

I'Shawn Stewart enjoyed his visit to Iowa City on Saturday.

Wide receiver I’Shawn Stewart has had a chance to visit Iowa several times during the recruiting process and was back on campus this past weekend to watch spring practice. For the 5-foot-11, 165-pound Illinois native, it was another opportunity to be around the Hawkeye coaching staff and continue to learn more about the football program at Iowa.

“We started out early at about 9 AM,” said Stewart. “Tyler Barnes took us on a tour of the Iowa football center and gave us some history on the program and the building. I have been on a lot of tours at Iowa, but it’s still cool every time.”

“I thought it was a good practice,” he continued. “As I told Coach Brian Ferentz, it was like a game and a lot of energy.”

Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz has been Iowa's lead recruiter for Stewart and has a strong relationship with the three-star prospect in the Class of 2018.

"Coach Brian Ferentz took the time to talk to my mom and I and really just gave us good info on coming out of high school into college," Stewart said. "Just how everything will be on a higher level, what all would be expected of me as a Hawkeye and the importance of enjoying high school while I'm here."

"He answered some questions my mom had and it's just always good talking with him," he continued. "He doesn't hold anything back."

Stewart's bond with Ferentz is part of the reason the Hawkeyes remain near the top of the list for the junior from Bolingbrook High School.

"Iowa is still in my top five," said Stewart. "I enjoy the relationship that I have with Coach Ferentz, and I love the school, the atmosphere, the brotherhood, the energy, and the fans."

Rounding out Stewart's top five at the moment is Illinois, Minnesota, Miami of Ohio, and Toledo. Up next are a couple of Big Ten visits followed by a spring decision if all goes according to plan.

"I visit Minnesota on April 8th and then maybe Wisconsin," Stewart said. "Then I am looking to commit really soon."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News