ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa is 8-2 does it feel like it to you?

Yes, it does feel like they're 8-2. Just a very disappointing 8-2 that should be 10-0.

Why should Iowa be 10-0? Iowa was beaten pretty convincingly by Purdue and Wisconsin. Padilla has played well against Northwestern and Minnesota and could possibly have helped in the Purdue game. Neither of those last two games showed anything that would have led me to believe Iowa would have won in Wisconsin with Padilla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chishawk1425
I really thought we maybe win at best 8 games this year with the youth of this team. Imagine those fan’s thoughts with teams full of super seniors like Iowa State??
Our schedule was insanely overrated to start the year. 3 big wins vs ranked teams that now combine for 2 games under 500 lol

Stressed but happy. Only 1/2 game back for the Division title with two weak and mistake prone teams. The Gophers are gomers of course but they had a decent record, winning record coming in today. Iowa will be favored both games.

If the boys lose the tie breaker we finish 10-2 with a decent bowl trip from either a football or vacation perspective. Realistic chance to be 11-2, which is a top ten season. Those kind of finishes make Iowa a much more attractive recruiting option than like 8-4.

Other than Tyler L everyone on the offense returns. Keagan and Arland IV are just going to get better. Cannot say Alex is the future QB. Ben Hogan and Joey L cannot be excluded long term. Alex has much room for improvement but for now I think he can win three of the last four games.​
Now that is a trick. We have a dead golfer as our back up QB? Put him in coach, this I've got to see... :eek:

I really thought we maybe win at best 8 games this year with the youth of this team. Imagine those fan’s thoughts with teams full of super seniors like Iowa State??
And Minnesota. For Christs sake, their 5 OL starters had started 209 games! The one guy has started 55 games with three games to go! Who is this guy JBO? How is that even possible? Even if you played 13 games a year thats 52 games including bowls. How could he already be at 55? He's fifth year senior, and I don't think the four game rule was in effect 5 years ago..... Okay, edit I guess. Duh.... The covid exception got him basically a sixth year. Another record (when he makes his 56th start next week) that should have an asterik...

Last edited:
Reactions: RVHAWKXX
And Minnesota. For Christs sake, their 5 OL starters had started 209 games! The one guy has started 55 games with three games to go! Who is this guy JBO? How is that even possible? Even if you played 13 games a year thats 52 games including bowls. How could he already be at 55? He's fifth year senior, and I don't think the four game rule was in effect 5 years ago.....
LOL ...Grandpa Settles like! Never will forget that game at MSU. Clever bastards! Okeyholic!! LOL 😂
And Minnesota. For Christs sake, their 5 OL starters had started 209 games! The one guy has started 55 games with three games to go! Who is this guy JBO? How is that even possible? Even if you played 13 games a year thats 52 games including bowls. How could he already be at 55? He's fifth year senior, and I don't think the four game rule was in effect 5 years ago.....

I thought we’d be 8-4 so assuming we don’t lose the next 2 games, we’ve exceeded my expectations. Sucks we’re not gonna win the B10W but Wisconsin is just better than us.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
What an odd thread. I know OP is always up in his feelings about….everything but I deal in reality. Iowa is 8-2, still has a decent shot at a 10 win season(including bowl game), and a fighter’s shot at winning the West.

There are way too many doom and gloom threads considering the talent Iowa had to replace heading into the season.

Relax a little bit, fellas. Traditional power teams (the entire state of Florida, Texas, Nebraska etc) are struggling big time.

I know it’s frustrating at times but I’ll take the results for little old Iowa over the head scratching results of teams that literally have no excuses.

It is the ultra conservative manner in which we are closing out wins that has me unsatisfied. I am satisfied being 8-2 though. Contradiction galore.
There are plenty of examples of perspective to be had in college football. Miami just lost to a 3-6 Florida State team. And as if it could get any worse. Last I checked, they do not have a verbal commit from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. I didn't think that could be possible, but it is.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Agree, haven’t beat any teams with less than 4 losses. Wins against ISU, IU and PSU looked good, but time has proved that those teams were way overrated

True, but not #2 in the country overrated.

Last edited:
The offense had three major problems: poor play calling, an immobile, inaccurate QB, and an awful O-line. One of those, belatedly, has been rectified. Alas, Alex Padilla is still limited by the poor play calling and the porous O-line, although his mobility has significantly limited the damage. But there's nothing he can do about the play calling or the just awful O-line. Iowa cannot run the ball. It just can't. And the consistent refusal/failure to use ANY misdirection, two RBs, or any other strategy to mitigate that situation is nothing less than coaching malfeasance. Maybe KF will figure it out in his next 23 years.

Pretty damn f***ing good. As much as the team struggled early and pulled out wins on the back of turnovers, surely none of you thought this was truly a top 5 team. Eight weekends with a W, two with an L. Most in both columns could have gone the other way. I'll take it and be damn happy.
Feels about right. They earned what they’ve won, earned what they lost.

I don’t get why the stat warriors haven’t learned the complimentary style after all these years.

when Iowa has a great punter, a bend but don’t break defensive philosophy, mixed in with some defensive playmakers make Iowa a very, very much above average and consistent program.

They got lucky to be 8-2. I still think they lose at least one more, so 9-3 regular season is little bit
better than the typical 8-4. I don't see Indy happening.

I am pleased that Petras has been replaced...there was no upside to sticking with him at QB.
it's too bad it took an injury to replace Petras, I am sure some people will say 'the coaches ALWAYS know best or maybe he didn't know the playbook well enough in Sept'. IMHO if Padilla would have started/played in those early games, we definitely would handled CSU & KSU a lot easier than we did and would have played Purdue closer (outside shot of MAYBE winning).

The offense had three major problems: poor play calling, an immobile, inaccurate QB, and an awful O-line. One of those, belatedly, has been rectified. Alas, Alex Padilla is still limited by the poor play calling and the porous O-line, although his mobility has significantly limited the damage. But there's nothing he can do about the play calling or the just awful O-line. Iowa cannot run the ball. It just can't. And the consistent refusal/failure to use ANY misdirection, two RBs, or any other strategy to mitigate that situation is nothing less than coaching malfeasance. Maybe KF will figure it out in his next 23 years.
So I just saw on Twitter that Iowa had its best yards per play of the entire season…that’s entirely due to Padilla? I agree that Brian deserves a share of the criticism, but one thing I noticed yesterday was just how hamstrung the playcalling was by Petra’s immobility. Brian called more play action rollout/bootlegs yesterday than I recall all season. For that alone I think Padilla needs to be the quarterback the rest of the season and a wide open competition in the spring.
it's too bad it took an injury to replace Petras, I am sure some people will say 'the coaches ALWAYS know best or maybe he didn't know the playbook well enough in Sept'. IMHO if Padilla would have started/played in those early games, we definitely would handled CSU & KSU a lot easier than we did and would have played Purdue closer (outside shot of MAYBE winning).
One thing I will note however is that multiple sportswriters who cover the hawks noted that Padilla, after narrowing the gap over the summer, did not have a good Kids Day scrimmage, and with the anticipated gauntlet of Indiana and Iowa state to open the season I still can’t fault the coaches for going with the experienced guy to open the season. Afterwards, it’s the rare head coach who benches the quarterback when you start 6-0, especially when you still expect to see the offense round into form as the season goes on. That hasn’t happened like most thought it would.

Reactions: mickv
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT