ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA@isu predictions

WildTurk

HB Heisman
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
24-13 Hawks. Road team has won the last 3. Iowa State has stud wideouts but Iowa neutralizes that with good DB's. Iowa grinds it out on the ground with Daniels and gets the W on the road in front of a Rocking crowd of Iowans.

Well....the previous occurrence in Ames was a Hawk victory. So you contradict yourself.

I predicted a 41-0 win. I know that was just kool-aid drinking. So this is my real prediction. After watching the HAWKS yesterday and reading what happened in Ames I think it would be a safe bet to say the score is going to be something like 41-17 HAWKEYES with another convincing win.
have you been hanging out with hawknick?

I just want to see it before I believe it. We have lost so many times with KF to this team and others just like them I just find it hard to believe we win this game. We are always the favorite in this game and it allows them to be the underdog/spoiler so that works against us. Throw in our style of play that makes close games to begin with so the chance of being upset is always there.

Show me something KF this time!

Iowa State becomes an entirely different team when playing the Hawkeyes because of their extreme jealousy and hate. So it's hard telling what's going to happen. But of course, I'm going to put the Hawkeyes in favor of them.

I predict that after the game with Northern Illinois, the team is more confident, CJ is much more comfortable, and the team is focused. LeShaun Daniels and Jordan Canzeri also feel great about their performances, so they also come out with a hop in their step. I see it being a 27-10 victory for Iowa.

Iowa State wins at home unfortunately. I don't see anything changing from previous occurrences.

From your answer, I am guessing you didn't see the Iowa State game. If I hadn't seen both games and was judging off of the scores, my view on next weekend's game wouldn't have changed much either.

First, let's assume that UNI and Illinois State are both good BCS teams, however, Illinois State is the higher ranked team. Iowa dominated Illinois State on the field and on the scoreboard. ISU dominated Northern Iowa on the scoreboard, but the game on the field was a bit unusual.

The ISU-Northern Iowa score looked like it did because UNI continually shot itself in the foot in the battle for field position. Because of UNI's inability to cover punts and two costly turnovers, Iowa State started 6 drives in the 2nd and 3th quarters at its 49 or better. And, 3 of those drives started no farther away from the goal line than UNIs 26 yard line. And yet, the ISU offense (remember one score was a punt return) could put no more than 24 points on the board against UNI.

UNI played this game with a first-time starter who was replaced late in the 3rd quarter for being ineffective. UNI seemingly had 3 and out after 3 and out during the first three quarters, then their punter would come in and kick a low line drive punt to Allan Lazard who was able to repeatedly catch the ball with no UNI player within 15 yards of him (seriously, I am not exaggerating).

ISU returned 8 punts, averaging 24.1 yards per return. That is 8 punts with a net punting average on those 8 punts of under 20 yards. That is barely different than if UNI had thrown 8 interceptions. Add that to the two costly turnovers that UNI actually had, and it is like ISU was the beneficiary of 10 UNI turnovers, yet the ISU offense could only put 24 points on the board.

ISU's defense might be average. It is hard to tell because UNI's offense was so bad. On offense, ISU's receivers are above average, their quarterback is average, and their line is below average, and their running backs are awful. The place where a Big 5 school is suppose to impose its will against a BCS defense is with the line play and rushing attack. ISU only gained 77 yards rushing on 2.4 yards per carry. If you take away one long run, they gained 44 yards on 1.3 yard per carry against UNI.

ISU is not going to beat Iowa on the ground. They have a passing game that is probably above average, but Iowa's strength on defense is probably against the passing game. As long as Iowa either punts away from Allan Lazard or is decent in punt coverage, I feel much better about Iowa's chances against ISU than I did 48 hours ago. Much better.

From your answer, I am guessing you didn't see the Iowa State game. If I hadn't seen both games and was judging off of the scores, my view on next weekend's game wouldn't have changed much either.

First, let's assume that UNI and Illinois State are both good BCS teams, however, Illinois State is the higher ranked team. Iowa dominated Illinois State on the field and on the scoreboard. ISU dominated Northern Iowa on the scoreboard, but the game on the field was a bit unusual.

The ISU-Northern Iowa score looked like it did because UNI continually shot itself in the foot in the battle for field position. Because of UNI's inability to cover punts and two costly turnovers, Iowa State started 6 drives in the 2nd and 3th quarters at its 49 or better. And, 3 of those drives started no farther away from the goal line than UNIs 26 yard line. And yet, the ISU offense (remember one score was a punt return) could put no more than 24 points on the board against UNI.

UNI played this game with a first-time starter who was replaced late in the 3rd quarter for being ineffective. UNI seemingly had 3 and out after 3 and out during the first three quarters, then their punter would come in and kick a low line drive punt to Allan Lazard who was able to repeatedly catch the ball with no UNI player within 15 yards of him (seriously, I am not exaggerating).

ISU returned 8 punts, averaging 24.1 yards per return. That is 8 punts with a net punting average on those 8 punts of under 20 yards. That is barely different than if UNI had thrown 8 interceptions. Add that to the two costly turnovers that UNI actually had, and it is like ISU was the beneficiary of 10 UNI turnovers, yet the ISU offense could only put 24 points on the board.

ISU's defense might be average. It is hard to tell because UNI's offense was so bad. On offense, ISU's receivers are above average, their quarterback is average, and their line is below average, and their running backs are awful. The place where a Big 5 school is suppose to impose its will against a BCS defense is with the line play and rushing attack. ISU only gained 77 yards rushing on 2.4 yards per carry. If you take away one long run, they gained 44 yards on 1.3 yard per carry against UNI.

ISU is not going to beat Iowa on the ground. They have a passing game that is probably above average, but Iowa's strength on defense is probably against the passing game. As long as Iowa either punts away from Allan Lazard or is decent in punt coverage, I feel much better about Iowa's chances against ISU than I did 48 hours ago. Much better.

I4 says facts are irrelevant unless Pollard tweets them.

If you would look closely I said occurrences, as in plural. Just looking at history of the KF era when playing Iowa State in Ames.

Ahhh, I see. I thought you were replying to the OP's statement that the away team has won the last three games. I assumed those were the occurrences you were talking about. If you are refrencing the team's history in Ames under Ferentz, I would be hard pressed to disagree.

I think Iowa wins. 24-10. But I will be nervous until it actually happens.

For the love of God man. Why are you even here?
Is it not allowed for people to pick against the Hawkeyes? The title of the thread is prediction, not what do you want the score to be. Based on Ferentz history with ISU, it is not unreasonable for some Hawkeyes fans to predict an ISU victory. I however say Hawkeyes win 24-21.

Reactions: BuckRussel
35-14, Iowa. Iowa will need to come out guns blazing right out of the gate. The intensity in Ames will be high, and the Clones will be ready. I think that Iowa can overpower them though as long as they come out aggressive and effective early on. Our running game is the key here.

This is exactly the kind of post that keeps me coming back to this board. Reasoned, even handed and full of facts. This is a poster who knows how to watch a game with a understanding of football and how to break down the stats. In my book this guy is a pro.

24-13 Hawks. Road team has won the last 3. Iowa State has stud wideouts but Iowa neutralizes that with good DB's. Iowa grinds it out on the ground with Daniels and gets the W on the road in front of a Rocking crowd of Iowans.

I'd like to see Iowa win but my confidence for this game is at zero. Kirk has let me down to many times at this point. I expect to lose this game.

I4 says facts are irrelevant unless Pollard tweets them.
You are seizing again!!! I picture red eyes like saucers, flaring nostrils, hands that tremor, with bi-weekly sessions to regulate your medication. 100, you have issues.

You are seizing again!!! I picture red eyes like saucers, flaring nostrils, hands that tremor, with bi-weekly sessions to regulate your medication. 100, you have issues.

So how many points and the Hawks do I get? We can set up a private bet up in Vegas and I will pay the fee's. This will be fun which clone fan will step up?

Iowa 17 ISU 23

-big Hawk fan that is going to the game.

the ISU kicker will be 3/3 on FG and then go 2 for 15 the rest of the season.

a nobody ISU TE will catch a deflection off Kirk's face for a TD. The play will be reviewed and the TD granted anyways.

BAU

I'd like to see Iowa win but my confidence for this game is at zero. Kirk has let me down to many times at this point. I expect to lose this game.

Just to throw up a score prediction. ISU 21 Iowa 17. Iowa will be unable to stop a late ISU touchdown drive.

How many points do you get? The hawks are favored. I think you forgot how this works.

No a clone fan has been spouting off that isu should be favored. OK so who will give me points and the Hawks. So I am looking for a clone fans to step up and take the bet. I will pay the fee's and set it up.

Iowa 30
Iowa State 13

ISU can't run the ball consistently against Iowa's front 7 and the Hawk secondary is improved (2 INTs).

Iowa pounds it on the ground but also opens up the offense a bit more with a few deep passes (at least one TD 40+ yards).

Kirk Ferentz single-handedly tears down a goal post.

I'm guessing the ISU game is one of those things that the coaching staff brainstormed about in the off season, and we'll see a little different approach this year. Every game matters, but some matter a little more.

31-17, Iowa on top

Reactions: 2xer
I believe this team will punish ISU. I don't care if Isu's D is improved.... From what a 2 to 4 win D?

Iowa 31
ISU 17

CJB 3 td passes

Reactions: 2xer
The key for Iowa is ISU's O-Line play. Looked pretty dismal against UNI and they can't do that against Iowa's front 4. I think Iowa takes this one 35-17.

Iowa 28 at Iowa State 21. No idea how it happens. Go Hawkeyes!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT