ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA@isu predictions

I just want to see it before I believe it. We have lost so many times with KF to this team and others just like them I just find it hard to believe we win this game. We are always the favorite in this game and it allows them to be the underdog/spoiler so that works against us. Throw in our style of play that makes close games to begin with so the chance of being upset is always there.

Show me something KF this time!

It does seem like the tone of the Iowa program has changed a little and that we're finally on the attack rather than sitting back on our heels, which has hurt us repeatedly against ISU in the past. Brian Ferentz's post-game tweet was encouraging along these lines, as was the fake FG, which I think was a statement to the fans that "this isn't the same passive, play-not-to-lose Iowa team you've watched for years".

Hoping the Hawks let it all hang out and punch ISU in the mouth repeatedly, but waiting to see it before I believe it.

Iowa's Oline and run game will dominate this game. Isu's strength is at WR, which goes against our strength at DB.
This is a wash. We will pound them on the ground until they put 8 in the box. Then we will play action pass and bootleg them to death.

31-10.

From your answer, I am guessing you didn't see the Iowa State game. If I hadn't seen both games and was judging off of the scores, my view on next weekend's game wouldn't have changed much either.

First, let's assume that UNI and Illinois State are both good BCS teams, however, Illinois State is the higher ranked team. Iowa dominated Illinois State on the field and on the scoreboard. ISU dominated Northern Iowa on the scoreboard, but the game on the field was a bit unusual.

The ISU-Northern Iowa score looked like it did because UNI continually shot itself in the foot in the battle for field position. Because of UNI's inability to cover punts and two costly turnovers, Iowa State started 6 drives in the 2nd and 3th quarters at its 49 or better. And, 3 of those drives started no farther away from the goal line than UNIs 26 yard line. And yet, the ISU offense (remember one score was a punt return) could put no more than 24 points on the board against UNI.

UNI played this game with a first-time starter who was replaced late in the 3rd quarter for being ineffective. UNI seemingly had 3 and out after 3 and out during the first three quarters, then their punter would come in and kick a low line drive punt to Allan Lazard who was able to repeatedly catch the ball with no UNI player within 15 yards of him (seriously, I am not exaggerating).

ISU returned 8 punts, averaging 24.1 yards per return. That is 8 punts with a net punting average on those 8 punts of under 20 yards. That is barely different than if UNI had thrown 8 interceptions. Add that to the two costly turnovers that UNI actually had, and it is like ISU was the beneficiary of 10 UNI turnovers, yet the ISU offense could only put 24 points on the board.

ISU's defense might be average. It is hard to tell because UNI's offense was so bad. On offense, ISU's receivers are above average, their quarterback is average, and their line is below average, and their running backs are awful. The place where a Big 5 school is suppose to impose its will against a BCS defense is with the line play and rushing attack. ISU only gained 77 yards rushing on 2.4 yards per carry. If you take away one long run, they gained 44 yards on 1.3 yard per carry against UNI.

ISU is not going to beat Iowa on the ground. They have a passing game that is probably above average, but Iowa's strength on defense is probably against the passing game. As long as Iowa either punts away from Allan Lazard or is decent in punt coverage, I feel much better about Iowa's chances against ISU than I did 48 hours ago. Much better.

This is an excellent post. Well done sir. I pretty much had the same thoughts. It was more of UNI killing itself than ISU winning. Iowa should win the battle at the DL of scrimmage and ISU will have a long day with our running game. If we avoid special teams mistakes and turnovers I see a Hawk win in the 27-17 range

ISU 17-13 as hawks revert back to button-down, conservative football!

How many times have we finished Sept undefeated since 1990? 2? 3? We have a chronic problem with starting the season strongly. ISU 19-17.

Why Hawkeye fans continue to pick Iowa over ISU is beyond me.

I'll predict the Hawkeyes come out flat, the Clones come out jacked and the Clones win a close one. Sound familiar?

And if you're a betting man, jump all over the Clones and the points....one of the easiest plays of the year.

24-13 Hawks. Road team has won the last 3. Iowa State has stud wideouts but Iowa neutralizes that with good DB's. Iowa grinds it out on the ground with Daniels and gets the W on the road in front of a Rocking crowd of Iowans.

Hawks roll!

T Smith get multiple receptions for over 150 yards.

41-13

I predict that I get banned from cyclonefanatic. Seriously that is one of the worst fan sites on the Internet. They absolutely refuse to talk about the game and every thread turns into a "act like a five year old and call everyone names" thread.

Reactions: tazclone
Iowa's Oline and run game will dominate this game. Isu's strength is at WR, which goes against our strength at DB.
This is a wash. We will pound them on the ground until they put 8 in the box. Then we will play action pass and bootleg them to death.

31-10.

I suspect ISU will pretty much start out with 8 in the box, or at least bring a bunch of run blitzes, etc. That seems to have been the tendency in this rivalry since Kirk's been at Iowa, although admittedly less so under Rhoads than under Coach Mac. ISU tends to attack and dare us to take some chances. If we turtle up and play conservatively, we tend to run into the teeth of their defense, give them confidence, get the crowd into it, and it snowballs from there. That seems to have been the trend in our losses.

Hoping we keep on the attack and put them on their heels from the start. If we keep their D guessing and unleash CJ to throw it around the field, I like our chances. Keeping expectations low and hoping for the best.

Reactions: Pepperman
The real score will be ...

Iowa 30
ISU 17

And it won't be as close as the score will look like.

Reactions: doughudd
34-21 Hawkeyes. Take it to the bank and bet the farm. Hawks cover the spread with ease. Iowa State misses 4 field goals and can't run the ball. Clone fans feel good because their stadium was full.

How many times have we finished Sept undefeated since 1990? 2? 3? We have a chronic problem with starting the season strongly. ISU 19-17.
1991 (3-0)
1995 (3-0)
1997 (4-0)
2001 (3-0)*
2009 (4-0)
2013 (4-0)**

*- We were scheduled to play Iowa State on September 15th that year, but 9/11 forced the game to be rescheduled to the end of the season. Most everyone knows that. But what a lot of people have probably forgotten was that Iowa's game prior to the originally scheduled ISU game was a 44-19 win over Miami (OH) on September 8th. Iowa then had a bye the week after when we were suppose to play ISU, before opening Big Ten play with Penn State. With no game that weekend, Iowa didn't play a game from September 9th until September 29th when they defeated Penn State, 24-18.

**- Through the magic of technicalities, Iowa was perfect in the month of September in 2013, thanks to playing the Northern Illinois season opener on August 30th. Hey you asked...;)

***- If we're also discussing non-conference play, 2003 is one of the years in the Ferentz era Iowa was undefeated. However, since you're asking about records in the month of September, Iowa actually went 3-1 that month. They opened the season on August 30th against Buffalo and went 4-0 in the non-conference, before falling in their Big Ten opener at Michigan State on September 27th.

Iowa also managed to cram 5 games into September in 2006, going 4-1, of course losing to Ohio State to end the month. Iowa had 5 September games in 2007, as well, but the results were much worse (2-3).

Other Hayden Fry seasons we were perfect in September:

1983 (3-0)
1985 (3-0)
1986 (3-0)
1987 (3-0) Lost to Tennessee in Kickoff Classic on August 30th

Id still consider that a chronic problem. This is generally accepted as what should be the easiest portion of the schedule. 5-6 years out of 25 is not good.

My prediction:

Iowa 5
ISU 3

The last couple of years this game has been a snooze fest. Last years game and the couple previous have been horrible and I am expecting much of the same. Both teams are not good and rolled it up on two FCS programs. Neither team has been tested and both teams have weaknesses. ISU WR's are the real deal, but Iowa's secondary is pretty good. The whole key is the DLINE. If they can get pressure and force the QB into some quick/bad throws it could be good news for Iowa.

My real prediction:

Iowa 31
ISU 24

Good game but starts out ugly and a lots of penalties.

ISU looked slightly improved but Iowa looked a lot more improved than last year. I think it will be close most of the game but that Iowa pulls it off at the end 24-17.

IOWA 23-7 AT HALF.
33-22 FINAL

PICK TO CLICK
JACOB HILYER

Same old story, imo... The better team doesn't win, as evidenced by last season at Kinnick. Iowa starts off fast but by the 4th quarter, it's a nailbiter. ISU 26 Iowa 24.

Watched both games twice now. Iowa looks again to have the better team and players, except for wide receivers. The ISU defense is not very good and our offense looks to have improved, although not by much it seems.

On the other hand, the Clowns come after us like a NAMBLA convention at an all boys elementary school in Thailand.

Still think Iowa wins. Mid twenties to 14.

"Add that to the two costly turnovers that UNI actually had, and it is like ISU was the beneficiary of 10 UNI turnovers, yet the ISU offense could only put 24 points on the board."

While you are correct in the facts that ISU was beneficiary of great field position all game long and UNI did turn the ball over twice, you also fail to mention that ISU also turned the ball over twice. One of them was by Bundrage at the 2 yard line of UNI's as he stretched for the end zone pylon and fumbled it through the endzone. ISU should have had 1st and goal from the 2 yard line and would have scored a TD. In addition to those 7 points being left on the field by ISU, their kicker missed 2 FGs, both 40 yards or less, that I wouldn't count on him missing again against Iowa. That is 13 more points right there that ISU offense should have scored.

Of course ISU fans weren't satisfied with their offense on Sat. night but there are plenty of things that can be cleaned up from week 1 to week 2. If I were Iowa, I'd be a little concerned with scoring points on ISU's defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT