ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa joins suit against DACA health care rule

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Kansas Attorney General Kris Kobach filed a lawsuit Thursday on behalf of 15 states, including Iowa, in an attempt to stop President Joe Biden from expanding health care access to DACA recipients by making them eligible for participation in the Affordable Care Act’s insurance marketplace.

Kobach, a Republican who built a political career concentrated on legal issues tied to undocumented migrants, was joined in the federal lawsuit by attorneys general in Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee and Virginia.

Kobach challenged the federal rule issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that would make people who arrived in the United States as children, sometimes known as Dreamers, eligible for taxpayer-subsidized health plans under the Affordable Care Act. The Biden administration’s initiative would enable DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, to be part of the health insurance marketplace on Nov. 1.

The lawsuit urged the court to postpone the effective date of the rule pending completion of the case. It also sought to vacate the rule as “both contrary to law and unreasonable, arbitrary and capricious.”

“They shouldn’t receive taxpayer benefits when they arrive, and the Biden-Harris administration shouldn’t get a free pass to violate federal law,” Kobach said. “That’s why I am leading a multistate lawsuit to stop this illegal regulation from going into effect.”

Xavier Becerra, the Health and Human Services secretary, said when the final DACA rule was published in May the change could lead to 100,000 previously uninsured DACA recipients enrolling in health coverage through the marketplaces.

“HHS is committed to making health coverage accessible for DACA recipients — Dreamers — who have worked hard to live the American dream,” Becerra said then. “Dreamers are our neighbors and friends. They are students, teachers, social workers, doctors and nurses. More importantly, they are fellow Americans.”

Kobach asserted the federal rule would make as many as 200,000 DACA recipients — double the prediction from Becerra — eligible for health insurance through the marketplace.

Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall said extending health insurance through the care act to 3,460 DACA recipients in that state represented a new “assault on the American worker.”

“First, this administration is demanding that hardworking Americans pay for someone else’s college degree, then it forces them to pay for medical procedures that violate their beliefs, and now they want to dictate paying for health care for people who shouldn’t even be in this country,” Marshall said.

This article first appeared in the Kansas Reflector.

If I could I would have my wife drive the safest giant SUV on the market, that doesn't mean I can afford it.
Good point. That's practically the same thing as basic healthcare.

If the noisy "Christians" in this country would stop lamenting the decline of "Christian values" and start acting in accordance with the dictates of the Jesus Christ of the New Testament instead of trying to impose their values on everyone, this world would be a much better place.

Good point. That's practically the same thing as basic healthcare.

If the noisy "Christians" in this country would stop lamenting the decline of "Christian values" and start acting in accordance with the dictates of the Jesus Christ of the New Testament instead of trying to impose their values on everyone, this world would be a much better place.
Any reason you left out the old testament?

Reactions: Speedway1
The alternative is to get rid of protections unilaterally put into place by one party, and enforce U.S. immigration law.
I think there is pretty strong support for DACA recipients in both parties. You have people brought to this country as children, sometimes infants. Rather inhumane to send them to a country they have no knowledge of, perhaps not even knowing the language.

I think there is pretty strong support for DACA recipients in both parties. You have people brought to this country as children, sometimes infants. Rather inhumane to send them to a country they have no knowledge of, perhaps not even knowing the language.

If support were widespread it would have been legislated, rather than through unilateral rule making/executive fiat.

Regardless, legalization and the benefits of such should not be granted.

I'm curious as to how you would address the magnet of just throwing up your hands and saying "Once your here, you're good. We won't take any enforcement action".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT