ADVERTISEMENT

US Health System Ranks Last Compared with Peer Nations

Umm he didn't have to go to the VA why didn't your deadbeat father just get health insurance genius?
he does have insurance, he uses the VA for his health related problems from him serving in Vietnam and getting sprayed with Agent Orange

he does have insurance, he uses the VA for his health related problems from him serving in Vietnam and getting sprayed with Agent Orange
Why won't the private insurer help him with treatment for that? Cutting into profits?

Societal issues
Obesity, lack of personal responsibility among Medicaid patients, ER abuses. All those add up. People are irresponsible for their health, because comfort food the couch and a beer

I think most people don’t want the government to take over healthcare. I doubt people want the doctors and nurses to be in the employ of the federal government. However lots of people do believe that healthcare insurance should be a right and that for the under insured getting cancer shouldn’t be a devil’s bargain between bankruptcy and dying.

There are systems like Germany where you can get the low cost government insurance, and then supplement with private insurance for those that prefer more coverage, flexibility etc. To me this is the best method. It’s a bit akin to Medicare + supplemental.

While I’m at it:
  • We need to dramatically streamline administrative stuff…too much time, money and energy in paperwork / admin stuff
  • We need a better system of malpractice…we are WAY more litigious than other societies and this drives up costs for everyone. It cannot be helping the standard of care on average.
  • We need to recognize that fat people cost society more. Perhaps they have premiums that are higher a la smokers with life insurance? And no, all the fatties aren’t just big boned with muscles that mess up their BMI. Most are just fat. If you want the discount go to the dr for an annual examine and have them determine your status.
I can agree with a lot of this, but Obama had the opportunity to fix this and he made it more of a cluster *()&

because his private insurance and Medicare says he has to use the VA
Well good for Medicare for eliminating a redundancy within the federal government. But why won't the private insurance help? He pays them gigantic premiums

I can agree with a lot of this, but Obama had the opportunity to fix this and he made it more of a cluster *()&
obama tried to get a public option included and it was dropped to get the votes of some of the blue dog dems and independents (like joe lieberman)

the public option - of course - was a complete non-starter for republicans

if you think a general approach like germany's being proposed now wouldn't be met with claims of MARXISM!!! from conservatives you're either not being honest or you don't understand american politics

Reactions: Ree4
cool you found one insurance company in Utah that does it, you got me

Most of the countries with universal healthcare are democracies. What is the big corporate interest preventing them from voting for a better more privatized healthcare systems en masse? Why is it such a political struggle for private interests to privatize chunks of the public healthcare systems in those countries? If the care was so terrible, wouldn't the people just vote for privatization? Who is putting up money to stop that popular momentum?

My father would be so much better off without the VA
You know he can dis-enroll, right? He isn't being dragged to the VA for care. Put his care on your credit card. Here you go:

Can I cancel my VA health care coverage?​

You may request to dis-enroll from VA health care, commonly referred to as cancel/decline, at any time. To request to be dis-enrolled, you must submit a signed and dated document requesting to be dis-enrolled from VA health care to a VA Medical Center or you may mail the request to:

Health Eligibility Center
Enrollment & Eligibility Division
PO Box 5207
Janesville, WI 53547-5207

Cancelling your VA health care coverage may impact your health care coverage requirements under the Affordable Care Act if you do not have other qualifying health care.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
Most of the countries with universal healthcare are democracies. What is the big corporate interest preventing them from voting for a better more privatized healthcare systems en masse? Why is it such a political struggle for private interests to privatize chunks of the public healthcare systems in those countries? If the care was so terrible, wouldn't the people just vote for privatization? Who is putting up money to stop that popular momentum?
duh the government, its a lot easier to control the populace when you have them eating out of your hands

duh the government, its a lot easier to control the populace when you have them eating out of your hands

Yeah every other country is brainwashed by their government while we're the only ones who can really see clearly. Jeez

Yeah every other country is brainwashed by their government while we're the only ones who can really see clearly. Jeez
lol, when was the last time we were able to change Medicare and SS, so yea I stand by my point

Well lets look at a few instances
Took years for him to get reimbursements for all of the health related issues related to his service in Vietnam. One of those reasons is that supposedly all of his military records that were in a warehouse "burned down"
Took months for him to get hearing aids due to his hearing loss from artillery, because the VA said he should have worn hearing aids. The only problem is that they never gave hearing aids out during that time
Took close to a year for him to get in and see a counselor at the VA for his PTSD, took so long that he contacted Iowa's senators to help. His first appointment with the VA doctor resulted in them lamblasting, shaming, and insulting my Dad for contacting the Senators. My father who is very stoic left in tears
the most recent instance is that my Dad in passing at one of his appts with the VA, said he was experiencing leg pain. Instead of him being able to go see the orthopedic surgeon that my Dad had his knee replaced by in the same leg, the VA determined that they had to give approval. So months later he finally got in. Got in to see the orthopedic surgeon and he states the knee is ok but that he needed to get an MRI of his back because that may be his issue. The orthopedic surgeon couldn't order it because the VA was running his care for this specific problem. 3-4 months later and after numerous phone calls the VA finally approved an MRI. In the meantime by Dad is having severe leg pain especially at night and is having a real hard time sleeping. Finally got the MRI last week and it turns out he has a herniated disc in his back. All that time, pain, and waiting with all of this is a direct result of the incompetence of the VA. I instructed my parents to never bring up any other health related issue that doesn't pertain to his service to the VA ever again.

Least surprising news of the day.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
The republicans played a major role in shaping what became "obama care". What is in place now is not what was originally proposed.
You didn't need any republican input, you had Congress, and a veto proof Senate

Did republicans not play a major role in shaping the ACA? Is what we have in place now the same as what was originally proposed?

Amazing considering my annual Healthcare expenses are up roughly 400% since Obama care

and you want our government to take over the system? that is equally stupid Tom
Once again, a Republican telling us how we can't have things the rest of the world has that would benefit middle class America. The wealthy don't need to worry about it because they can afford everything they need.

Again, it's bizarre how you guys constantly tell us that we can't do things the rest of the world can. Nobody wants our system, RN.

Amazing considering my annual Healthcare expenses are up roughly 400% since Obama care
fine

let's scrap obamacare and go with something more similar to all the countries ranked ahead of us in the article above

seems like everyone - especially the people specifically unhappy with obamacare - would support that

First...tell your father to...Drop. The. V. A.

I have no idea why you haven't already done this. Pay for his care out-of-pocket. Lots of Americans face that same choice. Join them.

Second...replace the ACA with something better. You and yours have had since 2010 and what you have after 14 years are "concepts of a plan".

Second...replace the ACA with something better. You and yours have had since 2010 and what you have after 14 years are "concepts of a plan".
This can't be right. I remember very clearly Lone Clone telling us the GOP did, in fact, have a plan. That was back during one of the R attempts to repeal the ACA.

After much pressuring, LC finally posted a link to that plan. It turned out to be a few talking points. Which, to be fair to LC, was more than the Rs are offering today.

Reactions: Ree4 and praguehawk
Once again, a Republican telling us how we can't have things the rest of the world has that would benefit middle class America. The wealthy don't need to worry about it because they can afford everything they need.

Again, it's bizarre how you guys constantly tell us that we can't do things the rest of the world can. Nobody wants our system, RN.
and you never think about the consequences of government run healthcare. 1st of all our healthcare system including doctors and nurses would not be able to survive with the reimbursement Medicare currently gives us. So would you really be better off because your medicare contributions are going to get significantly more expensive. Do you honestly think healthcare personal are going to take paycuts? There is a nursing and doctor shortage already and you combine that with less pay you are going to have a disaster. Let's play along and say doctors and nurses are going to have to take pay cuts. A new system of healthcare will arise that only the middle class and wealthy can afford, but the healthcare will be 10 times better. Unless of course you put in a law stating that you couldn't do that, then you might as well call us a the 2nd Soviet Union

Did republicans not play a major role in shaping the ACA? Is what we have in place now the same as what was originally proposed?
no not really, I remember watching the televised coverage of the hearings, and every single Republican proposal I saw proposed was rejected by the Democrats

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT