ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Kid's Day

2D_

HB MVP
Apr 3, 2023
Thread for Kid's Day today. Probably can't expect too much, but at least we'll see the development since the Spring. Feel free to post clips you've seen.

Swarm with the Kid Captains

First Wave of the Season

Rhys Dakin sending bombs down field

Rhys Dakin punt inside the 5!

Drew Stevens 47 yard kick is good

First snap of the day

Didn't stay too long, a little over an hour.

OL looks better, especially in run blocking.

Gill and Wetjen getting a lot of reps.

I see no limping from Cade as was mentioned in the camp rumblings thread. That said, I see no real seperation between he and Sullivan. My guess is 12 will get the start but if he doesn't perform I think they'll go to 1. While Cade got the first series, they alternated each series.

Hard to believe, but there isn't a drop off in punting. Rhys is ridiculous. His hang time is absurd. There isn't a better ST unit in the country.

If we can stay healthy I think we'll have a very good season.

I see no limping from Cade as was mentioned in the camp rumblings thread. That said, I see no real seperation between he and Sullivan. My guess is 12 will get the start but if he doesn't perform I think they'll go to 1. While Cade got the first series, they alternated each series.

Hard to believe, but there isn't a drop off in punting. Rhys is ridiculous. His hang time is absurd. There isn't a better ST unit in the country.

Appreciate the reporting. I was curious on how to the OLine looked today.

It sounds as though Lester wants to utilize Gill's skill and Wetjen's speed.

While it's encouraging to hear Cade is as healthy as he's been in an Iowa uniform, the reports regarding his performance today kind of put on a damper on things. I'm in the camp that Kirk will let Tim decide when to switch QBs. You have to wonder if Cade just needs more reps? He's been off the field for 8+ months.

Knowing that Rhys seems to be the real deal is sort of a cushion to our changing offense. We know that he has the ability to flip the field like Tory did last year.

I have to agree with this. There wasn’t a lot of separation between Cade and Sullivan. But to be fair, the receivers weren’t getting open that I saw. There just wasn’t anything there for any QB. With that said, the secondary looked really good.

Rhys is awesome and can’t kick the **** out of the football. Still working on those coffin corner punts, but he’ll get there. He’s definitely going to be able to flip the field just like Tory did.

I have to agree with this. There wasn’t a lot of separation between Cade and Sullivan. But to be fair, the receivers weren’t getting open that I saw. There just wasn’t anything there for any QB. With that said, the secondary looked really good.

Rhys is awesome and can’t kick the **** out of the football. Still working on those coffin corner punts, but he’ll get there. He’s definitely going to be able to flip the field just like Tory did.
We'll see how the long the Iowa media suckups describe this great Shanahan offense! Gag. I was there and the ghost of Deacon is haunting the offense in the passing game. The run game should be better. Hopefully, these next three weeks will be a huge benefit to have an offense that isn't the laughing stock of the country.

We'll see how the long the Iowa media suckups describe this great Shanahan offense! Gag. I was there and the ghost of Deacon is haunting the offense in the passing game. The run game should be better. Hopefully, these next three weeks will be a huge benefit to have an offense that isn't the laughing stock of the country.
Lester has only been here for 7 months, it's going to take a lot longer than that to properly implement an offense. Our QB1 hasn't taken snaps since last October and I'm sure the players are trying to un-learn everything Brian taught them. These are also players that Lester hasn't scouted/recruited. In time, he'll shape this offense into what he's looking for. As long as players can stay healthy, I strongly believe we'll improve as the season goes on. This team just needs more time.

Well, thank god for that. Punting is such a huge part of Iowa football.

I think Iowa has shown, more then any team in the country, that ST are a very important part of the game.

Look at Iowa State or Minnesota. They have almost ignored that aspect and it has cost them in a lot of close games.

The "we don't plan on doing a lot of kicking" mentality that some coaches have is as ignorant as it is arrogant. I'll take the best k/p combo year after year.

I don’t disagree. I didn’t come away feeling great about the passing game but I don’t think it lays at the feet of the QBs either. I still didn’t see that we were running routes designed to get receivers open. I actually don’t feel half bad about QB1-QB3. Even Marco looked decent in warm ups and has gotten better.

During position drills, Marco did a good job of getting the ball in the air prior to receivers making their break and he put the ball right on the money quite a few times. I actually felt Marco did that better than Cade and Sullivan at times during those drills.

Jackson Stratton will move ahead of Lainez at some point, liked what I saw of him and Lainez decision making, timing and throwing just doesn’t give me any optimism.

Defense looked great especially in the defensive backfield, Nestor in particular. Halls injury minor I think, looked like a rolled ankle coming down from a contested ball.

Cade looks healthy . Did see the “limp” someone mentioned yesterday but it appears to me to just be his new motion not a pain issue, much like old guys might move even when 100%.

FWIW Cades injured leg is his front leg when throwing and one theory might be that he’s hesitant to transfer all his weight on it when throwing for fear he gets rolled up on so he may throw with more weight on his back leg which could cause those higher throws. Could be 100% off just a passing thought.

Jackson Stratton will move ahead of Lainez at some point, liked what I saw of him and Lainez decision making, timing and throwing just doesn’t give me any optimism.

Defense looked great especially in the defensive backfield, Nestor in particular. Halls injury minor I think, looked like a rolled ankle coming down from a contested ball.

Cade looks healthy . Did see the “limp” someone mentioned yesterday but it appears to me to just be his new motion not a pain issue, much like old guys might move even when 100%.

FWIW Cades injured leg is his front leg when throwing and one theory might be that he’s hesitant to transfer all his weight on it when throwing for fear he gets rolled up on so he may throw with more weight on his back leg which could cause those higher throws. Could be 100% off just a passing thought.

I wish those arguing in the other thread about Lainez vs Hill could have been there today.

I'm guessing we never see ML play another snap at Iowa and would guess he transfers after this year. As you mentioned, he isn't the third best option we currently have.

I left right after the play today where it was a play action roll out to his right and he skipped a pass to a wide open TE 5 yards away from him.

If the brand new offense isn’t humming on all cylinders by August 10th, I think we can go ahead and call the 2024 season a loss.

It’s all over, boys.
The optimistic take is that Iowa defense carries this team until the offense can figure out the scheme

Everything must go right like it has in 2021 and 2023

I’d just like to see the offense improve.

The optimistic take is that Iowa defense carries this team until the offense can figure out the scheme

Everything must go right like it has in 2021 and 2023

I’d just like to see the offense improve.
It most definitely will, and probably immediately.

On the flip side, I’ll be very surprised if it’s a finished product game twelve, let alone August 10th.

I agree that the defense will probably need to carry them at the beginning of the season. Maybe longer? Still, just by having college level QBs, they will be better game one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT