ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Objective Post Game Analysis: Michigan State

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
It's amazing what an easier opponent can do for morale. Iowa didn't play much better than they did in the blowout loss last week, but came away with a 26-16 win against a reeling MSU team playing without 6 starters on defense and their head coach.

1. A Healthy Deacon is Better Than Permanently Gimpy Cade. Let's face it, Cade has been no better than Petras all year. Week 5 was no different. The Iowa offense lives and dies by play action passing. When you have a gimp at QB with more confidence than athleticism, it makes it nearly impossible to run the offense. Deacon is no speedster, but his ability to fake a handoff and roll out to find open receivers was a breath of fresh air. That was CJ & Stanzi's bread and butter. In addition, Deacon actually throws the ball down the field rather than staying entirely with 2 yard dink and dunk passes. His stats weren't great, 11/27 for 115 yrds, but he took 2 late hit penalties and gained 2 huge pass interference calls by throwing the ball down the field.

2. It's Time for WR Coach to Go. It's always funny to hear Iowa's WR coach interviewed. Never once has he taken responsibility for his unit being the worst in college football year after year. It's always "well I don't call the plays." Here's the problem. The WR coach recruits the players, coaches them on route running, and runs drills on catching. Yet six WR drops (the TEs had some too) is unacceptable even at the high school level. Diante Vines, who is in his 4th year in the program after picking Iowa over powerhouse Holy Cross, has no business playing WR at a Big 10 school. How many times today did the WRs just nonchalantly run a generic, slow developing out route without making any effort to get open. That falls on the coaches.

3. Run Game is Garbage. I get that Iowa's starter and 3rd stringer are hurt. But how is it possible that lowly Michigan State had 3 guys average more yards per carry than anyone on Iowa's roster. Moulton & Williams ran hard, but averaged just 3 yards per carry against a defense that was carved up last week. On the flip side, MSU's starter averaged 5.5 yards against Iowa's top notch defense.

4. X Finally Shows Up. I have been noting all year what a disappointment Nwankpa's performance had been. This week, however, he finally stepped up and played like the 5***** safety he's capable of. A career high 8 tackles, plus a pass deflection and a tackle for loss. More importantly, he got in there on some crucial 3rd down plays where he single handedly stopped the guy short of the first down. The Hawks desperately need X to continue playing at this level if they are ever going to beat a decent team.

5. Zero Pass Rush Yet Again. Yet another subpar QB was given all day long to pick apart the Iowa defense thanks to a complete lack of pass rush. The Hawks finished with zero sacks for the day, yet again. At this point, it's time to start blitzing on 3rd down because it's painful to watch these QBs stand back there and wait 5 seconds before casually completing passes down the field. Kim was 25/44 for 200 yards and their WRs had 18 catches to Iowa's 6.

6. "The Wave" Needs Fixed. The Wave is the best tradition in football. No question. But has anyone else noticed lately when they try to show the kids waiving down at the field, there are about 15 adults standing around the window for every 1 actual kid staying at the children's hospital. This is supposed to be about cheering up the sick kids, not a chance for 40 or 50 adults to stand in front of the window (blocking any view for the kids) and get a cool view.

7. Kudos to Drew Stevens. Just an annual reminder that Drew Stevens wasn't even recruited and chose to walk-on at Iowa and pay out of state tuition out of his own pocket despite growing up on the other side of the country. The kid has single handedly kept Iowa in games week after week with his clutch, reliable kicks and his booming kickoffs. When all is said and done, he very well could erase many of Nate Kaeding's records.

Last edited:
It's amazing what an easier opponent can do for morale. Iowa didn't play much better than they did in the blowout loss last week, but came away with a 26-16 win against a reeling MSU team playing without 6 starters on defense and their head coach.

1. A Healthy Deacon is Better Than Permanently Gimpy Cade. Let's face it, Cade has been no better than Petras all year. Week 5 was no different. The Iowa offense lives and dies by play action passing. When you have a gimp at QB with more confidence than athleticism, it makes it nearly impossible to run the offense. Deacon is no speedster, but his ability to fake a handoff and roll out to find open receivers was a breath of fresh air. That was CJ & Stanzi's bread and butter. In addition, Deacon actually throws the ball down the field rather than staying entirely with 2 yard dink and dunk passes. His stats weren't great, 11/27 for 115 yrds, but he took 2 late hit penalties and gained 2 huge pass interference calls by throwing the ball down the field.

2. It's Time for WR Coach to Go. It's always funny to hear Iowa's WR coach interviewed. Never once has he taken responsibility for his unit being the worst in college football year after year. It's always "well I don't call the plays." Here's the problem. The WR coach recruits the players, coaches them on route running, and runs drills on catching. Yet six WR drops (the TEs had some too) is unacceptable even at the high school level. Diante Vines, who is in his 4th year in the program after picking Iowa over powerhouse Holy Cross, has no business playing WR at a Big 10 school. How many times today did the WRs just nonchalantly run a generic, slow developing out route without making any effort to get open. That falls on the coaches.

3. Run Game is Garbage. I get that Iowa's starter and 3rd stringer are hurt. But how is it possible that lowly Michigan State had 3 guys average more yards per carry than anyone on Iowa's roster. Moulton & Williams ran hard, but averaged just 3 yards per carry against a defense that was carved up last week. On the flip side, MSU's starter averaged 5.5 yards against Iowa's top notch defense.

4. X Finally Shows Up. I have been noting all year what a disappointment Nwankpa's performance had been. This week, however, he finally stepped up and played like the 5***** safety he's capable of. A career high 8 tackles, plus a pass deflection and a tackle for loss. More importantly, he got in there on some crucial 3rd down plays where he single handedly stopped the guy short of the first down. The Hawks desperately need X to continue playing at this level if they are ever going to beat a decent team.

5. Zero Pass Rush Yet Again. Yet another subpar QB was given all day long to pick apart the Iowa defense thanks to a complete lack of pass rush. The Hawks finished with zero sacks for the day, yet again. At this point, it's time to start blitzing on 3rd down because it's painful to watch these QBs stand back there and wait 5 seconds before casually completing passes down the field. Kim was 25/44 for 200 yards and their WRs had 18 catches to Iowa's 6.

6. "The Waive" Needs Fixed. The Waive is the best tradition in football. No question. But has anyone else noticed lately when they try to show the kids waiving down at the field, there are about 15 adults standing around the window for every 1 actual kid staying at the children's hospital. This is supposed to be about cheering up the sick kids, not a chance for 40 or 50 adults to stand in front of the window (blocking any view for the kids) and get a cool view.

7. Kudos to Drew Stevens. Just an annual reminder that Drew Stevens wasn't even recruited and chose to walk-on at Iowa and pay out of state tuition out of his own pocket despite growing up on the other side of the country. The kid has single handedly kept Iowa in games week after week with his clutch, reliable kicks and his booming kickoffs. When all is said and done, he very well could erase many of Nate Kaeding's records.
Shocker.
Fire more coaches, yada, yada.
MSU is fairly tough upfront on both sides.

Shocker.

What about 2-3 and 0-2 in B1G makes MSU tough?

I saw two middle of the pack P5 teams battle it out and a punt return and INT by a single player was the
difference.

Analysis was solid. WR group is beyond horrible. Hayden Fry used to get a lot of mileage out possession type receviers that could run precise routes and catch the ball. That would be big upgrade over the current scholarship group.

Agree with number 1. we don t win this game with cade as is. Which i ask why was cade playing gimpy all yr. Oline looked bettr with hill in. A little mobility goes along way.

You also should have included 4 or 5 drops in Hill's stats and the 2 interference calls for 30 yardsis like him going 17 for 27 in the passing game for 145 yards.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Drew Stevens is an excellent kicker right now. I have not watched all the wide receivers in slow motion but it seems their hands could be in a better position on their break and by trying the catch the point of the ball with their hands rather than cradling it in their arms. That is what vines did on one catch he dropped as the ball hit his forearms but if he catches the eye level ball with his hands he probably catches it. And Kaleb Brown had a great chance to make a nice low catch but didnt.

I have noticed this defense seems to start out a little slow and maybe slower making adjustments. But they played shutout ball in the second half so what more do you want

In the last 3/4 years we are seeing the Ferentz effect (age, nepotism, no offense, boring, middle school offense, etc.) on recruiting. It appears Iowa does not have the athletes to compete as a P5 school on offense at pretty much any position and more than likely will only get worse until Ferentz retires. Parker/Woods are the only reason Ferentz has a winning record in last few years. JMO

Law's comments are fairly accurate IMO as well.

#5 - The no sacks again does sting. Did seem like the rush was a lot more active and closed in on some opportunities or rushed Kim to throw before routes were ready on a few occasions.
A blatant hold was called that stopped Kim from getting crushed on his blindside by Black.

The scheme does more to recruit than the wide receivers coach you bumbling idiot. Aaron Graves has been a bust on the line.

6. "The Wave" Needs Fixed. The Wave is the best tradition in football. No question. But has anyone else noticed lately when they try to show the kids waiving down at the field, there are about 15 adults standing around the window for every 1 actual kid staying at the children's hospital. This is supposed to be about cheering up the sick kids, not a chance for 40 or 50 adults to stand in front of the window (blocking any view for the kids) and get a cool view.

Drew Stevens may have grown up on other side of country but his mom went to Spirit Lake

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Regarding #6, The Wave:

It's still a moving experience, but hasn't quite been the same since they ditched the necessary continuity of Pat Green's WAVE ON WAVE song, and let the Kid Captains pick their own (usually something most fans don't even recognize)

There, I've said it. The Pat Green song was PERFECT for the wave in content and tone. Having the same song game after game gives you a spine-tingling "Hey, this is it..." feeling

In fact, I think it would be better if they DIDN'T have any PA announcement before and after it. Heck, we all know what to do! Just start playing the Pat Green song and we'll all stand and do it. As it is now, I feel like we're getting unnecessary instructions--and then being thanked for doing something that CAME from the fans in the first place! It just feels...off

Yes, I'm going here, too: The Wave is slowly losing its punch (I've been there for every one aside from the COVID year of 2020). But it's an easy fix: ditch the announcement. Bring back WAVE ON WAVE (next year is okay by me)

I can't be the only one who thinks this...can I?

I'm hopeful that after a week with first string reps together, the wrs will get used to Hill throwing. He puts a lot of zip on it and that can be an adjustment. Our receivers suck so there will still probably be some drops but hopefully it will go down some with some reps together.

The scheme does more to recruit than the wide receivers coach you bumbling idiot. Aaron Graves has been a bust on the line.
I think the coaches made a big mistake in bulking him up and moving him inside. He would be better as an athletic edge rusher. Why take someone that is super athletic and put them where their athleticism can be neutralized?

The DL has been disappointingly unable to get a rush, but every time we blitz we get destroyed. I think the strength of this team is in coverage and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of a 3 man rush on third and long.

I think the coaches made a big mistake in bulking him up and moving him inside. He would be better as an athletic edge rusher. Why take someone that is super athletic and put them where their athleticism can be neutralized?

The DL has been disappointingly unable to get a rush, but every time we blitz we get destroyed. I think the strength of this team is in coverage and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of a 3 man rush on third and long.
Could not agree more. A dude who plays basketball at an all state level and does so in wrestling. Let that dude loose.

Last edited:

Lulz, somebody doesn't know enough about OL play to comment on them.......

Thanks Law ... Iowa football is just a shit show. Can’t even do the wave correctly. And you are correct, so many Hawk players have no business playing Big 10 football. The qbs, the receivers, but my favorite is the body rolling little safety hoping the ball carrier trips over him.
Btw, Sparty qb is worse than the Hawks!

Thanks Law ... Iowa football is just a shit show. Can’t even do the wave correctly. And you are correct, so many Hawk players have no business playing Big 10 football. The qbs, the receivers, but my favorite is the body rolling little safety hoping the ball carrier trips over him.
Your huskers got piss pounded at home lol

His stats would have been pretty good if not for stone handed receiving corps.

Our blitzes never get home, did you watch the one last night, dont remembered who it was but he had to be 8 yards behind the LOS at the snap and by the time he crossed the LOS he was blown up

I'm hopeful that after a week with first string reps together, the wrs will get used to Hill throwing. He puts a lot of zip on it and that can be an adjustment. Our receivers suck so there will still probably be some drops but hopefully it will go down some with some reps together.
Hill throws a duck ball. A fairly accurate duck ball. It also probably takes some adjustment to getting the ball thrown your way in real game situations.

One things for sure. We’re really good at making excuses to why are offense continually sucks.

Reactions: nelly02
^^^^^^ @ping72

Regarding #6, The Wave:

It's still a moving experience, but hasn't quite been the same since they ditched the necessary continuity of Pat Green's WAVE ON WAVE song, and let the Kid Captains pick their own (usually something most fans don't even recognize)

There, I've said it. The Pat Green song was PERFECT for the wave in content and tone. Having the same song game after game gives you a spine-tingling "Hey, this is it..." feeling

In fact, I think it would be better if they DIDN'T have any PA announcement before and after it. Heck, we all know what to do! Just start playing the Pat Green song and we'll all stand and do it. As it is now, I feel like we're getting unnecessary instructions--and then being thanked for doing something that CAME from the fans in the first place! It just feels...off

Yes, I'm going here, too: The Wave is slowly losing its punch (I've been there for every one aside from the COVID year of 2020). But it's an easy fix: ditch the announcement. Bring back WAVE ON WAVE (next year is okay by me)

This probably deserves its own thread, but I absolutely agree.

They are taking a new and great tradition and making it too "corporate". I was there for the first wave and it was awesome how everyone just started waving at the end of the quarter.... didn't have to announce anything, but I think they did eventually say something over the PA.

Now I think it's something like..."and now for the greatest tradition in college football...bla bla bla". Give it a rest. Play the heartfelt music and just wave.

Guessing pretty soon they'll finish the wave with the PA announcement "and that was the greatest tradition in sports, 'the wave', presented by Case IH".

I agree with everything except you forgot to mention that Cooper DeJean is one hell of a good football player and he made the difference.

Spot on Analysis…

Reactions: BHCrusader2010
Shocker.
@DogBoyRy - MSU is "fairly tough upfront on both sides?" That's your response to Iowa's running game getting stuffed and the DL failing to stop the run? That's a weird take considering MSU ranks 11th in the Big 10 in rushing and are in the bottom half of the conference in all defensive categories. By your standards, you must have thought Petras was a "fairly good QB" and Brian is "fairly good at calling plays."

@HawkLogic - You're correct about Hayden. I would trade Iowa's 4 star OSU transfer WR and 4 year starter Nico Ragaini for guys like Scott Helverson (53 catches in 1985) and Bill Happel (50 catches in 1985). Those possession receivers knew how to actually run routes and catch balls. They had that kind of production even with studs Quin Early, Mike Flagg, and Robert Smith on the field.

@sadiehawkins - Interesting point. I agree, Iowa loses this game with Cade playing at his normal immobile 75% health. There will be a bunch of close games coming up and we likely wouldn't win any of them with an immobile QB.

@DewHawk - The recruiting rankings have actually remained pretty steady despite the issues in the program. The problem is, most of the higher rated commits tend to be underperforming OLs like 4**** Connor Colby & 4**** Beau Stevens rather than difference maker skill position players. Looking at next year's recruiting class, the only 4**** commit is an in-state OL. Neither of the WR commits have any major offers.

@DBQ Hawk and others - Yep, they got greedy and tried to commercialize the wave. The effect has been to water down the true meaning and the actual impact both to the kids and the fans watching the game.

@nelly02 - good point. I forgot to mention the zip on Hill's passes being a factor in all of the embarrassing drops. Good receivers can handle some zip. Below average WRs like Vines will have a lot of balls bounce off their chest.

Regarding #6, The Wave:

Well said, I was not a fan of ditching that song either ( which was perfect).😉

Reactions: NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT