ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa MBB Top 30 in '23 Revenue

Shocking that Purdue is only #22, behind Minny! And all that wasted money at Indiana, OSU AND Michigan. So much money in the Big for so little results.
Couldn't have happened to a more overrated, bunch of wasted talent, programs.

How is this even possible?

Ticket sales $3.4 million
Donations $500K
In-Kind Contributions $370K
Third Party Benefits $300K
Media Rights $5.1 million
NCAA Distributions $2.1 million
Conf distributions (non media) $450K
Programs/parking/concessions $480K
Advertising/royalties/Licensing $1.6 million
Sports camp $200K
Endowment/investments $200K
Other revenue $200K

Gonzaga is a private institution and doesn’t have to report?

You’ll notice other not listed like Duke, ND, N’western, USC, etc for basketball and or football.
USC, and Northwestern definitely wouldn't be in the top 50. ND? Maybe but in the 40s at best.

Last edited:
How is this even possible?
Easy. B1G media $$$$.

Look at the top 10. Essentially HALF of them are B1G programs. A full third of the top 30 are B1G programs. 16 of 18 B1G programs are in the top 50.

You think mighty Penn State is selling lots of tickets and merch? lol

It will likely be all 18 next year (could be now but we'll never know about SC and Northwestern). Also likely that UCLA and Oregon (and maybe Washington) pass us as soon as they start getting their full cut. Maryland also likely to move up at least a few spots if/when they stop sucking.

We'll probably settle around 12th - 13th in the league -- definitely ahead of USC, Rutgers, Northwestern and Penn State on ticket sales and merch alone.

There are no poverty programs in B1G men's basketball. It's a media juggernaut.

Last edited:
Not every school reports basketball revenue the same. This is not something that can be used to compare school to school.

Easy. B1G media $$$$.

Look at the top 10. Essentially HALF of them are B1G programs. A full third of the top 30 are B1G programs. 16 of 18 B1G programs are in the top 50.

It will likely be all 18 next year (could be now but we'll never know about SC and Northwestern). Also likely that UCLA and Oregon (and maybe Washington) pass us as soon as they start getting their full cut. Maryland also likely to move up at least a few spots if/when they stop sucking.

We'll probably settle around 12th - 13th in the league -- definitely ahead of USC, Rutgers, Northwestern and Penn State on ticket sales and merch alone.

Haven't thought about it much and don't fully understand, but why can't much of this revenue translate into NIL $$$ going to the players, or does it already?

Not every school reports basketball revenue the same. This is not something that can be used to compare school to school.
Most private institutions don't report it at all.

Other than that exception, the list tracks closely to conference affiliation/historical program success.

That's not some weird coincidence.

So I would disagree with your blanket statement.

Easy. B1G media $$$$.

Maryland and Rutgers received $0 of media rights in the above numbers, whereas Iowa received $5.1 million (10th in the B1G). I’m not certain, but I believe those two schools began receiving media rights in 2023-24.

Last edited:
Where did this data come from? Louisville was historically bad each of the last 2 seasons.
Not that I'm disputing the numbers, but this one strikes me as incredible. Yes, louisville has tradition in a basketball loving state. But they have been horrific of late. Last in their league consecutive years 2022-2024. They haven't had a winning record since being 13-7 in the Covid shortened '20-'21 season.

Not that I'm disputing the numbers, but this one strikes me as incredible. Yes, louisville has tradition in a basketball loving state. But they have been horrific of late. Last in their league consecutive years 2022-2024. They haven't had a winning record since being 13-7 in the Covid shortened '20-'21 season.

Louisville:
$12.1 million Ticket sales
$15.6 million in Donations (Iowa $500K)
$5.8 million in media rights
$1.2 million licensing/royalties

Still a few million unaccounted for…. Conf distributions?

You are probably correct. I haven't looked.

Somehow Maryland basketball received $8.6 million from the B1G. The next closest was PSU at $1.2 million. Iowa received $450K after going to the NCAA Tournament. Rutgers received $0 from the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT