ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa moves past Penn State

I usually don't put too much stock in the win rankings but for the most part iowa and Penn state seem to be in fair positions. I predict that Lugo will not place as high as 3rd and that cass will definitely outperform r12.

Also noticed $$$ is ranked at 7th, good for him (assuming he is the starter)

I usually don't put too much stock in the win rankings but for the most part iowa and Penn state seem to be in fair positions. I predict that Lugo will not place as high as 3rd and that cass will definitely outperform r12.

Also noticed $$$ is ranked at 7th, good for him (assuming he is the starter)
I don’t think it can be expected for Cass to be wrestling on Saturday night, but I do think he is going to score a ton of points on the backside by pinning people and being an All-American

165:
1.) Joseph
2.) Wick
3.) Marinelli

Yet Marinelli is 5-1 against Joseph and Wick.

165:
1.) Joseph
2.) Wick
3.) Marinelli

In DI wrestling you HAVE to get it done at NCAA's.

Marinelli 6th and 7th the past 2 seasons.

Wick 3rd and 4th the past 2 seasons.

Joseph 1st and 2nd the past 2 seasons with a 1st before that.

Sadly, the way DI wrestling is set up ALL THAT MATTERS is the very last tournament!

In DI wrestling you HAVE to get it done at NCAA's.

Marinelli 6th and 7th the past 2 seasons.

Wick 3rd and 4th the past 2 seasons.

Joseph 1st and 2nd the past 2 seasons with a 1st before that.

Sadly, the way DI wrestling is set up ALL THAT MATTERS is the very last tournament!

That was good work up until the last statement. Sadly? Damn those final events that determine who wins!

That was good work up until the last statement. Sadly? Damn those final events that determine who wins!

Sorry, I am a dual meet to decide the team championship fan. I just think the Tournament format allows for too much gamesmanship and you are really starting to see it with teams dropping out of in season tournaments and what is starting to look like a lot of strategic "ducking".

I love the dual format and would love for them to be important THROUGHOUT the season culminating with a dual championship. I know many on here feel the same way as Brands and Sanderson so I am not going to argue it. Just elaborating on why I used "Sadly........"

Agreed, tiger. Lots to be excited about with cass. He may not be the best but he is exciting to watch and always looking to end a match. Being able to rattle off 2 or even 3 pins is huge in the team race

Exactly. Stolls junior year was a great example of this. At Nationals bonus points can have just as large of an impact on team score as finishing a place or two higher.

Reactions: donboy6499
165:
1.) Joseph
2.) Wick
3.) Marinelli

165 is tough to rank because of Marinelli’s post season struggles. He is great against those 2, but they have both placed higher than him at the last two National Championships. The Bull had an unbelievable draw last year in March with Jo Jo first round and then Lewis in the quarters. The field clears out a bit, so he’s got a great opportunity to redeem himself

Boy, the team rankings sure show how the ORS has affected the National perceptions this season.

Lugo/Cash/Warner all ranked to high IMO.

My friend, I'm right there with you. Just haven't seen anything this year or last that makes me believe they will do that well at NCAAs. I definitely believe they have the potential, but that strategy of handfighting until halfway through the 3rd period, regardless of the level of the competition, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can easily see Cash go 1-2 at NCAAs and both the others going 2-2 or 3-2, depending on their draw. Would sure like to see them come out firing during he regular season so we could see what they're really capable of. That one-point win by Warner Sunday against very mediocre competition really fricking sucked!!!

165 is tough to rank because of Marinelli’s post season struggles. He is great against those 2, but they have both placed higher than him at the last two National Championships. The Bull had an unbelievable draw last year in March with Jo Jo first round and then Lewis in the quarters. The field clears out a bit, so he’s got a great opportunity to redeem himself
Marinelli would have been better off losing the big 10 championship last year. His reward for winning was to be given a historically difficult draw. If Joseph gets Marinelli's draw he's losing in the quarters and Marinelli probably advances to the finals and loses to Joseph. I don't really feel strongly about Marinelli being 3rd.

Reactions: Grip220
Marinelli would have been better off losing the big 10 championship last year. His reward for winning was to be given a historically difficult draw. If Joseph gets Marinelli's draw he's losing in the quarters and Marinelli probably advances to the finals and loses to Joseph. I don't really feel strongly about Marinelli being 3rd.

To be right and wrong at the same time is pretty impressive:)

Marinelli's draw at NCAAs was complete horse shit! that being said, if say him and joseph switched placements at BIGs, to say joseph would have faced Smith right outa the gate is a joke because everyone knows it would not have played out like that!

Would he have been better off losing? Well no other one who placed behind him faced a tougher first round match so I believe you are correct.

Why on earth would you say the BULL loses to joseph in the finals of NCAAs when he has beaten him repeatedly?

To be right and wrong at the same time is pretty impressive:)

Marinelli's draw at NCAAs was complete horse shit! that being said, if say him and joseph switched placements at BIGs, to say joseph would have faced Smith right outa the gate is a joke because everyone knows it would not have played out like that!

Would he have been better off losing? Well no other one who placed behind him faced a tougher first round match so I believe you are correct.

Why on earth would you say the BULL loses to joseph in the finals of NCAAs when he has beaten him repeatedly?
That was a typo meant to say Lewis.

Reactions: SDHN2013
165 was loaded last year and nobody had an easy road. The smith draw round 1 was unfortunate but random so it is what it is. The ncaa was punishing the late season weight drops and that impacted smith much more than it did marinelli. As for lewis in the quarters legitimately nobody had him pegged as the champ despite how good he is, but his seed wasn't unfair either. I do think marinelli's style can hurt him a little bit in these tournaments as all that scrapping is going to lead to wear and tear on himself after each of those matches and running a gauntlet like 165 is going to be tough. Hopefully he can figure it all out this season and end up on top, it is certainly possible

Lugo/Cash/Warner all ranked to high IMO.
Why? Lugo finished 8th at a weight where only three other guys at this weight are returning AA's? Maybe Degen ahead of him at this point, but there's not a real argument that anyone else should be. Cash seems ok there too, who should be ranked higher? Bonnaccorsi is ranked higher and I'm not sure he should be. Lujan too. I think 4-8 at that weight are all even, it's just a guess. Warner, ranked behind the only two guys who finished better last year as well.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
While Marinelli finished 7th and Wick finished 4th, they both lost to Lewis on the front side and Marstellar on the back. Just how the bracket works out. Wick did have a win over Marstellar on the front but Marinelli was 3-0 against Wick last year.

However I don’t care about these rankings so I’m not bent up about it. We wrestle in 1.5 weeks so it’ll sort itself out.

if say him and joseph switched placements at BIGs, to say joseph would have faced Smith right outa the gate is a joke because everyone knows it would not have played out like that!

Yes it would have. JoJo wasn't a random draw, he got seeded there. He would've been seeded there regardless of Bull or Cenzo being the 1 seed

Yes it would have. JoJo wasn't a random draw, he got seeded there. He would've been seeded there regardless of Bull or Cenzo being the 1 seed

LOL, please see all the NCAA Seeding threads and read the posts. We could debate for weeks on seeding that took place that made no sense!

I agree that he would have been seeded there regardless of who was the #1 seed, it's not a conspiracy against Iowa. Did it suck? Sure but we have always had the mentality that we will beat whoever is put in front of us no matter what and that should not change. We need to quit with the excuses and perform when the lights are brightest period.

Why? Lugo finished 8th at a weight where only three other guys at this weight are returning AA's? Maybe Degen ahead of him at this point, but there's not a real argument that anyone else should be. Cash seems ok there too, who should be ranked higher? Bonnaccorsi is ranked higher and I'm not sure he should be. Lujan too. I think 4-8 at that weight are all even, it's just a guess. Warner, ranked behind the only two guys who finished better last year as well.
Lugo just wasn’t impressive enough last year to be 3rd in the country. His 8th at nationals was because his legendary easy draw. He had 3 wins and the toughest one was a 20 seed. He had 10 losses all year and three (Degen 2x and Sasso) are both ranked behind him. His best wins were TFr Teemer, Gfeller and Thorn. I like Lugo and hopes he does way better this year, im just explaining why 3 might be a little high.

We're going to be the favorites for the rest of the year.

We have 8-10 AAs and PSU has 6.

This is the year. We'll also find out how good of a coach Carl is. He doesn't have multiple bonus-point monsters on the team this year, and it doesn't look like he's going to get much production out of 125, 149 and 197.

It will be interesting to see how healthy Shak is and if Beard's shirt is pulled. Conel is losing to unranked guys. I hope Carl stays with him.

Lugo just wasn’t impressive enough last year to be 3rd in the country. His 8th at nationals was because his legendary easy draw. He had 3 wins and the toughest one was a 20 seed. He had 10 losses all year and three (Degen 2x and Sasso) are both ranked behind him. His best wins were TFr Teemer, Gfeller and Thorn. I like Lugo and hopes he does way better this year, im just explaining why 3 might be a little high.

In his defense, he was OBVIOUSLY physically off at the beginning of the season and took a bit to catch his steam. Still, other than a fall apart at the end loss to Rohlfing, his losses were pretty legit and hard fought. You can't always gauge guys simply by their best wins. You learn a lot by their "best losses" as well.

Of his 10 losses, 7 were to AA's and all were very hard fought, except Jordan(and this was his one match up nightmare, a guy with a lot of neutral offense from space):

Ashnault(Champ) 3-1 OT
Jordan(Finalist) 10-3
Finesilver(4th) 6-3
Kolodzik(5th) 7-4 and 7-4
Degen(7th) 7-4 OT and 11-9

Of the others the 10-9 to Rohlfing is the only unacceptable boo boo

Sasso 6-4 OT and Berge 4-2 OT in no way lessen his value.

I get that these matches showed he has limitations against good, long bodied wrestlers and those that can negate his offense from space. But, I don't think many of the current crop at 149 are going to be able to effectively exploit that if he even marginally improves from last season.

Point being, the kid is good enough to place top 4 and the weight doesn't really have to clear top end talent to keep him from doing so!

We're going to be the favorites for the rest of the year.

We have 8-10 AAs and PSU has 6.

This is the year. We'll also find out how good of a coach Carl is. He doesn't have multiple bonus-point monsters on the team this year, and it doesn't look like he's going to get much production out of 125, 149 and 197.

It will be interesting to see how healthy Shak is and if Beard's shirt is pulled. Conel is losing to unranked guys. I hope Carl stays with him.
Penn State is the favorite until Iowa does something about it. That means showing up at NCAA's.

Carl will have the Ref's in his back pocket like he always does, so plenty to overcome. We'll see how it turns out.

Penn State is the favorite until Iowa does something about it. That means showing up at NCAA's.

Carl will have the Ref's in his back pocket like he always does, so plenty to overcome. We'll see how it turns out.

This is true to a degree, but much like Alabama football or the NE Patriots, the athletes change and if the talent level drops just a bit, a rising team with more talent/depth can and does pass them from time to time. Currently, Iowa IS that team. By March, PSU may have Berge, Rasheed and Conel back fully healthy, but RIGHT NOW Iowa IS the favorite over what PSU is currently putting on the mat.

Simply put, Iowa SHOULD/MUST be beating this lineup and really should with even the 3 guys listed above:

125: Teske
133: RBY
141: Lee
149: Verkleeren
157: Pipher
165: Joseph
174: Hall
184: Edsell
197: Conel
285: Cassar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts