ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa moving students closer to the floor at Carver

Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
A little closer, anyway, so Beth says. Getting students around the floor of Carver the way they do at Michigan State and Illinois and many other arenas is, apparently, like trying to arrange peace in the Middle East . . . all but impossible. But the effort continues in Iowa City.

Meanwhile, MSU and those other schools have had students in the bottom 10 rows or so all around the court for years and years. And somehow they still get the old folks and the big donors and everyone else into the building. It makes me wonder why it's so difficult in Iowa City. Ask MSU how in the world they figured it out, and maybe do what they did. Could what works in East Lansing possibly work way out west in Iowa City?

Anyway, I guess as long as the ice cream machines are working, it can't be all bad . . .

Bored Still Waiting GIF by ThrobKki

Are we referencing a quote? The effort continues or they have plans for some minor changes ?

Multiple reports (Press-Citizen, Gazette, etc.) quote Beth as saying they'll be making minor seating changes this season that will move a few students closer to the floor. The way it sounds, it may not even be noticeable on TV.

Meanwhile, surveys of stakeholders are ongoing regarding what changes they want the most as more significant changes continue to be considered if, when, the U of I finds the money for a renovation project. There is no timeline that I know of.

Barta set basketball back a decade or two at least. Beth is trying to play catch-up, but it won't be easy or quick, apparently.

The wealthy blue hairs aren't gonna give up their seats to allow the students closer to the floor, not without a fight.

The sense of entitlement after the length of time they've been entrenched in those seating areas has to still be off the charts from the Bowlsby & Barta 'eras'.

Gasser being a prime example of what I mean.

Agreed.

And just so you know, Tylerl_28, the troll, quoted your post from this thread, cut it, pasted it in the the duplicate thread and then replied, just to bump that duplicate thread. You can't make this sheet up. He has to keep that duplicate thread at the top. @Pinehawk

I see FranIsDaNarc is still crying to the mods. No way a grown man w/ self respect would act like this.

I know! I know!
How did my post end up in this thread? If you want to bump you need to enlist your kids to monitor the boards and make sure that you are always at the top. Other tactics include resurrecting years old threads, having 3,4,5,+ consecutive posts where you are responding to yourself or your alternate profile. You need to step up your game on this one.

• Haha
Reactions: skydog0784
How did my post end up in this thread? If you want to bump you need to enlist your kids to monitor the boards and make sure that you are always at the top. Other tactics include resurrecting years old threads, having 3,4,5,+ consecutive posts where you are responding to yourself or your alternate profile. You need to step up your game on this one.

In times like these it is important to remember the words of Mike Zierath:

@Franisdaman, I feel like you shouldn't worry all that much about duplicate threads or who started what topic of conversation 10 months ago and who didn't. Quit wasting my, Tom and Blairs time with your petty complaints. You obviously haven't seen the message I sent you earlier today, even though you are on here 24/7, have over 54,000 posts and can't seem to not keep your thoughts and comments out of other threads. Do not send in another report about someone starting a duplicate thread because you have already started the same thread. Got it?

And, yes, I did put this here, in public, because I know you will see it. Grow the hell up and stop acting like a 3 year old!

Mike

Tylerl_28,

Stop quoting posts from another thread, cutting them and then pasting them in duplicate threads, just to bump that duplicate thread.

No way a grown man (assuming you are a man) w/ self respect would act like this.

And, yes, I did put this here, in public, because I know you will see it. Grow the hell up and stop acting like a 3 year old!

Mike

Last edited:

Tylerl_28,

Stop quoting posts from another thread, cutting them and then pasting them in duplicate threads, just to bump that duplicate thread.

No way a grown man (assuming you are a man) w/ self respect would act like this.

Mike
I can protect my own post thank you. At least he posted my post verbatim not some misrepresentation and flat out lie of someone else’s post. Be better than lying

Was at a meeting tonight headed by Beth and she said they are going to be very aggressive in their efforts to get the students to better seats. Was open to any and all ideas to make that happen.

The Hawks Nest now can't usually get enough to fill the lower 9 rows in the 6 end sections they get. Way too many seats and sections get allocated to students. Outside of maybe a game or two they let students in for free, it's been since Alford's last years that the student section was ever full to capacity. I got to enjoy some of those years, but unfortunately, I was still a student there to watch all interest and momentum for the Hawk's Nest die hard in the Lickliter era. Interest has gone up and down some under Fran but still has never come close to fully recovering.

I don't think seating by the court will entice enough more to come, it's all about the product on-court. Everything else in minor contributing factors, seating, Carver's location, buses, timing, etc. I thought the Garza years would have recovered interest, but it's back on a downward trend. I actually think they could have got a great student section presence going at women's games in the recent two years, but there is no organization or desire to organize a student section there.

Reactions: skydog0784
The Hawks Nest now can't usually get enough to fill the lower 9 rows in the 6 end sections they get. Way too many seats and sections get allocated to students. Outside of maybe a game or two they let students in for free, it's been since Alford's last years that the student section was ever full to capacity. I got to enjoy some of those years, but unfortunately, I was still a student there to watch all interest and momentum for the Hawk's Nest die hard in the Lickliter era. Interest has gone up and down some under Fran but still has never come close to fully recovering.

I don't think seating by the court will entice enough more to come, it's all about the product on-court. Everything else in minor contributing factors, seating, Carver's location, buses, timing, etc. I thought the Garza years would have recovered interest, but it's back on a downward trend. I actually think they could have got a great student section presence going at women's games in the recent two years, but there is no organization or desire to organize a student section there.
The problem is that for years, the Barta-led AD did very little to grow fan support. Women’s basketball took off, no thanks to Barta.

Idk if moving students alone will bring them back to carver for men’s games, but it has to at least be tried before saying it won’t work. Who knows what else Beth is thinking of trying to get attendance up again.

The men’s program is good enough it shouldn’t be playing in front of half-empty arenas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT