ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa native Shelby Houlihan blames pork burrito for positive steroid test

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
60c8b850c8020.image.jpg

ecord-setting runner Shelby Houlihan will not be going to the Olympics this year after all, and possibly not even in 2024.
On Monday night, news broke that Houlihan, a Sioux City native and graduate of East High School, had tested positive for the banned substance Nandrolone, an anabolic steroid, and has been banned from competition for four years.
She also will not be running at the Olympic Trials this upcoming week in Oregon. She was slated to the 800-meter run and the 5,000.
Chris Chavez of Sports Illustrated broke the news on Twitter, reporting that Houlihan first failed the test back in December, and has spent the months since trying to prove her innocence.

In a statement posted to her personal Instagram page, Houlihan said that she believes that the substance came from a burrito that she purchased from a food truck near her home in Beaverton, Oregon.
In her statement, Houlihan noted that the World Anti-Doping Agency has said that eating pork can lead to a false positive of Nandrolone. Houlihan also claims that she purchased and consumed the burrito roughly 10 hours before taking the drug test.

"Although my levels were consistent with those of subjects in studies who were tested 10 hours after eating this source and WADA technical guidelines require the lab to consider it when analyzing nandrolone, the lab never accounted for this possibility," Houlihan said in her statement. "They could have reported this as an atypical finding and followed up with further testing. The anti-doping experts I have reached out to say they should have.

"I did everything I could to prove my innocence. I passed a polygraph test. I had my hair sampled by one of the world’s foremost toxicologists. WADA agreed that test proved that there was no build up of this substance in my body, which there would have been if I were taking it regularly."

Houlihan also said that the lab refused to move from its initial decision, and had concluded that Houlihan had taken the steroid orally, but not on a regular basis.
"I believe my explanation fits the facts much better -- because it’s true. I also believe it was dismissed without proper due process," Houlihan said in her Instagram post.

On June 11, Houlihan says, she received word that the Court of Arbitration for Sport had not accepted her explanation, and that she is banned from competition for four years.

If the suspension holds, it would cause her to not only miss this year's Tokyo Olympics, but the 2024 Paris Olympics as well.
"I feel completely devastated, lost, broken, angry, confused and betrayed by the very sport that I’ve loved and poured myself into just to see how good I was," Houlihan's statement continued. "I want to be very clear. I have never taken any performance enhancing substances. And that includes that of which I am being accused.
"I believe in the sport and pushing your body to the limit just to see where the limit is. I’m not interested in cheating. I don’t do this for the accolades, money, or for people to know my name. I do this because I love it. I have so much fun doing it and it’s always the best part of my day."

Houlihan was a standout athlete at East High School, where she was named the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year in both 2010 and 2011 in track and cross country. She also captured eight Drake Relays titles in her time as a Black Raider.

In college at Arizona State, Houlihan captured the 2014 1500-meter NCAA championship, the first such title in school history, and was a 12-time All-American.
After turning pro in 2015, Houlihan joined the Bowerman Track Club and Nike, eventually qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Games, where she placed 11th in the 5000m final.
In 2019, Houlihan set an American record in the 1500m run at the World Outdoor Championships, with a time of 3:54.99, and set the 5000m American record with a time of 14:23.92 in 2020.

In 2017, Sioux City honored Houlihan by naming a street in her honor. A road just a few blocks from East High School is now called "Houlihan Run."
Coach Jerry Schumacher of the Bowerman Track Club also posted a statement on Instagram, stating his belief in Houlihan's innocence.
"Throughout this process we were confident that the truth would lead to justice. What I've come to learn instead is that anti-doping authorities are okay with convicting innocent athletes so long as nine of ten convictions are legitimate. That is wrong..." Schumacher said, in part.

"What we are witnessing here is a great tragedy in the history of American distance running. Not only is Shelby an exceptionally talented athlete, but she has also developed her talent through hard work and discipline."

Houlihan said that she will continue to try to prove herself innocent.
"I have always wanted to be able to stand at the top of that Olympic podium with a gold medal around my neck knowing that I did that. Now, I’m not sure I’ll ever get the opportunity to truly pursue that dream.
"I’m going to continue fighting to prove my innocence. I will not sit down and accept a four year ban for something that I did not and would never do."

60c8b850c8020.image.jpg

ecord-setting runner Shelby Houlihan will not be going to the Olympics this year after all, and possibly not even in 2024.
On Monday night, news broke that Houlihan, a Sioux City native and graduate of East High School, had tested positive for the banned substance Nandrolone, an anabolic steroid, and has been banned from competition for four years.
She also will not be running at the Olympic Trials this upcoming week in Oregon. She was slated to the 800-meter run and the 5,000.
Chris Chavez of Sports Illustrated broke the news on Twitter, reporting that Houlihan first failed the test back in December, and has spent the months since trying to prove her innocence.

In a statement posted to her personal Instagram page, Houlihan said that she believes that the substance came from a burrito that she purchased from a food truck near her home in Beaverton, Oregon.
In her statement, Houlihan noted that the World Anti-Doping Agency has said that eating pork can lead to a false positive of Nandrolone. Houlihan also claims that she purchased and consumed the burrito roughly 10 hours before taking the drug test.

"Although my levels were consistent with those of subjects in studies who were tested 10 hours after eating this source and WADA technical guidelines require the lab to consider it when analyzing nandrolone, the lab never accounted for this possibility," Houlihan said in her statement. "They could have reported this as an atypical finding and followed up with further testing. The anti-doping experts I have reached out to say they should have.

"I did everything I could to prove my innocence. I passed a polygraph test. I had my hair sampled by one of the world’s foremost toxicologists. WADA agreed that test proved that there was no build up of this substance in my body, which there would have been if I were taking it regularly."

Houlihan also said that the lab refused to move from its initial decision, and had concluded that Houlihan had taken the steroid orally, but not on a regular basis.
"I believe my explanation fits the facts much better -- because it’s true. I also believe it was dismissed without proper due process," Houlihan said in her Instagram post.

On June 11, Houlihan says, she received word that the Court of Arbitration for Sport had not accepted her explanation, and that she is banned from competition for four years.

If the suspension holds, it would cause her to not only miss this year's Tokyo Olympics, but the 2024 Paris Olympics as well.
"I feel completely devastated, lost, broken, angry, confused and betrayed by the very sport that I’ve loved and poured myself into just to see how good I was," Houlihan's statement continued. "I want to be very clear. I have never taken any performance enhancing substances. And that includes that of which I am being accused.
"I believe in the sport and pushing your body to the limit just to see where the limit is. I’m not interested in cheating. I don’t do this for the accolades, money, or for people to know my name. I do this because I love it. I have so much fun doing it and it’s always the best part of my day."

Houlihan was a standout athlete at East High School, where she was named the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year in both 2010 and 2011 in track and cross country. She also captured eight Drake Relays titles in her time as a Black Raider.

In college at Arizona State, Houlihan captured the 2014 1500-meter NCAA championship, the first such title in school history, and was a 12-time All-American.
After turning pro in 2015, Houlihan joined the Bowerman Track Club and Nike, eventually qualifying for the 2016 Olympic Games, where she placed 11th in the 5000m final.
In 2019, Houlihan set an American record in the 1500m run at the World Outdoor Championships, with a time of 3:54.99, and set the 5000m American record with a time of 14:23.92 in 2020.

In 2017, Sioux City honored Houlihan by naming a street in her honor. A road just a few blocks from East High School is now called "Houlihan Run."
Coach Jerry Schumacher of the Bowerman Track Club also posted a statement on Instagram, stating his belief in Houlihan's innocence.
"Throughout this process we were confident that the truth would lead to justice. What I've come to learn instead is that anti-doping authorities are okay with convicting innocent athletes so long as nine of ten convictions are legitimate. That is wrong..." Schumacher said, in part.

"What we are witnessing here is a great tragedy in the history of American distance running. Not only is Shelby an exceptionally talented athlete, but she has also developed her talent through hard work and discipline."

Houlihan said that she will continue to try to prove herself innocent.
"I have always wanted to be able to stand at the top of that Olympic podium with a gold medal around my neck knowing that I did that. Now, I’m not sure I’ll ever get the opportunity to truly pursue that dream.
"I’m going to continue fighting to prove my innocence. I will not sit down and accept a four year ban for something that I did not and would never do."

I think I believe her because she fought it in various ways. Polygraph. Hair samples. Kind of seems like what someone who is innocent would do.

LOL. Yeah, I've heard that pork burritos are a very important part of any Olympic-level athlete's diet.

60c8b850c8020.image.jpg

FYI Perverts, the girl behind her (308), who is significantly more attractive and also accomplished is also an Iowegian. She's a Dowling and Missouri product named Karissa Schweizer. Google is your friend. You're welcome.

60c8b850c8020.image.jpg

FYI Perverts, the girl behind her (308), who is significantly more attractive and also accomplished is also an Iowegian. She's a Dowling and Missouri product named Karissa Schweizer. Google is your friend. You're welcome.
Who knew Iowa girls were so fast?

Reactions: GOHOX69
I'm not going to say her explanation is impossible, but...

WADA put out info regarding certain foods from certain areas, so we're going to eat some of those food from those areas? I can't see a pro runner doing that. They are anal in staying away from anything that could cause a false +.

And they didn't know what nadrolone is? Not buying that at all.

I like that she says that she reconstructed what she ate for the two weeks prior to the test once the positive came back. That to me is a clear giveaway that she is full of it.
I'm not sure how quickly the athlete is notified after the day of the test, but I would think it has to be at least a week or two. How many of us can remember what we ate more than two days ago? No one remembers those sorts of mundane details of their day. Even a professional athlete who closely watches their diet wouldn't remember more than 4 or 5 days ago. No way that a week or two, maybe more, after the test she was able to reconstruct her diet for the two weeks prior to the test. Its just not possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: ghost80
I'm not going to say her explanation is impossible, but...

WADA put out info regarding certain foods from certain areas, so we're going to eat some of those food from those areas? I can't see a pro runner doing that. They are anal in staying away from anything that could cause a false +.

And they didn't know what nadrolone is? Not buying that at all.
At this level their body is their temple......they know exactly what can mess them up and would bend over backward to avoid getting jammed up. Even her coaches and nutrition staff would warn/monitor what to stay away from to avoid this from happening.

Possible it's the truth..... but just not likely.

Her older sister was a grade below me, I’ve known her family for over 30 years (makes me sound old). I really want to believe her story but I can’t tell you what I ate 2 days ago.

However she is also an East High Black Raider, therefore innocent!

At this level their body is their temple......they know exactly what can mess them up and would bend over backward to avoid getting jammed up. Even her coaches and nutrition staff would warn/monitor what to stay away from to avoid this from happening.

Possible it's the truth..... but just not likely.

There are a couple of podcasts I listen to that have covered testing, what goes into it and what will cause positives, to include interviewing athletes and USADA/WADA officials. It would be really hard for an athlete to "accidently" consume food that would cause them to test positive. I mean, just completely ignoring any warnings from USADA/WADA is one way. But, is ignorance a valid excuse given how, and how often athletes, athletes are tested?

Her older sister was a grade below me, I’ve known her family for over 30 years (makes me sound old). I really want to believe her story but I can’t tell you what I ate 2 days ago.

However she is also an East High Black Raider, therefore innocent!
Yeah, a Black Raider would never cheat. Unlike those dirty, deceitful rapscallions from Heelan.

There are a couple of podcasts I listen to that have covered testing, what goes into it and what will cause positives, to include interviewing athletes and USADA/WADA officials. It would be really hard for an athlete to "accidently" consume food that would cause them to test positive. I mean, just completely ignoring any warnings from USADA/WADA is one way. But, is ignorance a valid excuse given how, and how often athletes, athletes are tested?
Speculating the whole protest isn't for Tokyo....its for 2024. Not a lot of time to make anything happen for these games but if they don't fight hard now that would probably lessen her chances for making a case for 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT