ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa opens -10 vs Northwestern

Supposed to be chilly and chance of snow. We saw not too long ago how Nate does in less than stellar weather.
I honestly thought it'd be a "pick em" or the Hawks by a couple, but 10 is shocking. Unless Josh, Desmond, Josey, and some others are coming back to suit up, we still have a secondary that can be abused.
It’s not shocking at all if you look at the analytics. Northwestern beat a walking mash unit when the played Wisconsin.

Huh?

Vegas is not in the business of predicting the outcome of games. The are in the gambling business. They set betting lines in an effort to get equal money bet on both sides so they make money on the juice. What is shady about that?

NW has looked much better than Iowa in the last couple of weeks, and they are certainly capable of winning at Kinnick,. NW is most effective when their passing game works, and Iowa has given up a bunch of big plays in the passing game. So why wouldn't NW be favored?

Iowa is favored by 10.

Iowa is favored by 10.
I do think they were trying to gin up interest or something in this game. out in vegas. maybe a bunch of smart money came in on NW and they were trying to swing it. judging by the way the hawks are playing, I would have put it at 3.5 or one point or something, certainly no way hawks by 10. they barely beat isu by ten. and that was a struggle.

Oh. :oops: My bad.

Well, that only makes sense if Vegas needs NW money, which they probably do.

Take NW and the points.
Vegas relies quite a bit on advanced stats. My impression is that Northwestern, at least in Big 10 play, is punching above their expectations and Iowa is a bit below. Vegas sees Iowa as a bit "unlucky" to have lost all 3 of Purdue, PSU, and Wisconsin.

Reactions: David1979
Oh, you’ve been demolished by me! We’ve already proven that you live in a crappy town, feed your pigs pot, & you’re a Clown fan.

Anything I’m missing?
We have determined that you are a legend in your own mind and a mind is a terrible thing to waste......farm away

We have determined that you are a legend in your own mind and a mind is a terrible thing to waste......farm away
You should be proud to raise pigs & not ashamed. I love bacon just like everybody else.

You’re just not comfortable in your own skin. Is that a prerequisite of being a Clown fan?

Huh?

Vegas is not in the business of predicting the outcome of games. The are in the gambling business. They set betting lines in an effort to get equal money bet on both sides so they make money on the juice. What is shady about that?

NW has looked much better than Iowa in the last couple of weeks, and they are certainly capable of winning at Kinnick,. NW is most effective when their passing game works, and Iowa has given up a bunch of big plays in the passing game. So why wouldn't NW be favored?
They're not favored.............Iowa is.

That's why it is some shady sh**.

And after the way we were jobbed to Purdue last week, I'm starting to get pissed off at the direction things are going.

They're not favored.............Iowa is.

That's why it is some shady sh**.

And after the way we were jobbed to Purdue last week, I'm starting to get pissed off at the direction things are going.

Ok, my bad!

Still, Vegas does what it needs to do to get balanced money. I don't imagine NW has a heavy betting crowd, so they need some inventive to bet on NW.

Vegas relies quite a bit on advanced stats. My impression is that Northwestern, at least in Big 10 play, is punching above their expectations and Iowa is a bit below. Vegas sees Iowa as a bit "unlucky" to have lost all 3 of Purdue, PSU, and Wisconsin.
For some perspective on this. Iowa averages 5.2 yds per offensive play Northwestern averages 4.4. meanwhile on defense Iowa allows 4.6 while Northwestern allows 5.4.

Northwestern is literally one of the least efficient teams in football. They can't run the ball at all. Their defense is very good against the run but fairly average overall and not as good as Iowa. They aren't really that close in either category. They should've lost to Nebraska and probably Purdue.

If I'm not mistaken, Iowa is 8-1 this season against the opening spread.

Listen to what the Washed Up Walk-Ons have been telling you all year and hammer the Hawkeyes with your dollars.

I know....That's why I said what I said earlier.

I don't appreciate their tone at all.

Yeah, I think it was your post that helped me get confused. Although I'm naturally confused.

"Is that because everyone was picking Northwestern outright, so Vegas is trying to get people to throw their money away and pick Iowa?..............."

If everyone was picking NW, wouldn't they set the line to have NW giving the points, to encourage more better on Iowa?

Like I said .... confused.

We haven't been rolled by anybody. We've failed to make that one or two extra plays needed in three games. Vegas and the pros that analyze this stuff for a living know that, and they like us better than NW. We're a solid team that hasn't closed the deal in tight games.

Yeah, I think it was your post that helped me get confused. Although I'm naturally confused.

"Is that because everyone was picking Northwestern outright, so Vegas is trying to get people to throw their money away and pick Iowa?..............."

If everyone was picking NW, wouldn't they set the line to have NW giving the points, to encourage more better on Iowa?

Like I said .... confused.
Because it is some shady sh** by Vegas.

And bau....it serves as typical inspirational bullsh** rah-rah-rah underdog talk for Fat Pat to fire up his team.

The whole thing smells like f***ing garbage, including Pat Fitzgerald.

Because it is some shady sh** by Vegas.

And bau....it serves as typical inspirational bullsh** rah-rah-rah underdog talk for Fat Pat to fire up his team.

The whole thing smells like f***ing garbage, including Pat Fitzgerald.

It could be some elaborate conspiracy between Vegas and Pat Fitzgerald or maybe it's just that pretty much all of the metrics favor Iowa.

They can't run the ball at all.

You might like to check the last two games, when we actually started playing a productive running back. Vs Notre Dame, 108 yards on 40 attempts vs. ND's 121 yards on 40 attempts. Vs Wisconsin, 182 yards on 49 attempts vs. Wisconsin's 165 yards on 32 attempts. I don't think you want to argue that ND or Wisconsin "can't run the ball either," nor do you want to argue that their run defenses stink.

If you're looking at season stats, you have to reflect on the fact that we lost our feature back to a medical issue early in the season and have been looking for an answer until the game vs UW.

You might like to check the last two games, when we actually started playing a productive running back. Vs Notre Dame, 108 yards on 40 attempts vs. ND's 121 yards on 40 attempts. Vs Wisconsin, 182 yards on 49 attempts vs. Wisconsin's 165 yards on 32 attempts. I don't think you want to argue that ND or Wisconsin "can't run the ball either," nor do you want to argue that their run defenses stink.

If you're looking at season stats, you have to reflect on the fact that we lost our feature back to a medical issue early in the season and have been looking for an answer until the game vs UW.
But those aren't good numbers. The Notre Dame game average is less than 3 yds per carry that's bad. The Wisconsin game is less than 4 yds per carry. Most teams probably look at 4 yds per carry as adequate.

Notre Dame rushing defense is good. Wisconsin is average. Iowa hasn't been particularly good running the ball but averaged a full yard per carry more than Northwestern did against Wisconsin. I think Northwestern has a good run defense. I believe Iowa's is a bit better. With all this said I wouldn't be at all surprised if Northwestern wins because Fitzgerald is excellent in close games while Iowa is rather terrible.

That's 3.2 ypc combined. Not exactly running it down anyone's throat.

You guys will easily beat NW, but you still won't win the West

Wiscy will most likely win it

Sharps are waiting on this on. Wait and see if the final line doesn't drop to around -7.5 or -8.

Okay....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT