ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa picks up 2015 RB/ATH Eric Graham

crHawkeye92

HB MVP
Mar 16, 2013
Seems like a really under the radar recruit. Pretty impressive highlight tape, he looks just as good as Higdon to me.

(I would post the highlight vid but I'm on mobile right now)

His hudl profile lists him at 5'10, 200lbs.

4.4 speed (I'll believe that when I see it)

37' vertical

600 lb. squat

How did he fly under the radar?

Really strange here. Looks pretty darn good on film so something had to have been going on. Maybe he never went to camps or his HS coach had no connections of any kind? I dont know, but low-level recruits everywhere have Rivals pages and Graham didnt have one until after he committed. Hopefully he pans out.

I believe the 4.4 40 about as much as the 600 lb squat. Total crap. Another site lists him as 5'8 190 with a 4.71 40. Under the radar, blah, blah, blah. Recruiting failure plain and simple. I he had any talent he wouldn't be coming here.

Originally posted by Sandow:

I believe the 4.4 40 about as much as the 600 lb squat.  Total crap.  Another site lists him as 5'8 190 with a 4.71 40.  Under the radar, blah, blah, blah.  Recruiting failure plain and simple.  I he had any talent he wouldn't be coming here.
I'd normally agree with you but I'm intrigued to know all the facts first. Check out this article from last fall. Says was an all state RB that ran for 2,300 yards his junior year with offers from Stanford and Vanderbilt. I would like to know what the mix up is.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Eric Graham

I believe the 4.4 40 about as much as the 600 lb squat. Total crap. Another site lists him as 5'8 190 with a 4.71 40. Under the radar, blah, blah, blah. Recruiting failure plain and simple. I he had any talent he wouldn't be coming here.
I bet you're all the rage at parties

What I like is this kid is a complete back. He looks like he has pretty good speed, he's strong, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Watch the film. This is not a 4.71. This is a helluva pick-up on signing day. Of course that doesn't fit certain narratives.

Pleasant surprise

In his highlight vid he is running away from pretty much all of the DBs so he does have some speed. All stater in Bama. Looks like a good athlete. Not a 2* from Iowa :) Looks like he could turn into a player. Probably won't make an immediate impact but could down the road. Pretty good as far as fall backs go I think.

I think Autauga is class AA and alabama has 7 classes so it's the equivalent of about the smallest Iowa school you can get but if we can take a kid from Regina because he looks good vs. 1A talent, we can certainly take a kid from Alabama.

FWIW he does not look like he has 4.7 speed and he's very well put together.

Check out his highlights. Clearly not the best competition but does that really matter as much with running backs?

Highlight Video

Apparently his school bumped up to AAA this year (not sure how much difference that makes)

In any case, he had 2,300 yards (rush + receiving) and 30 total TD's this year

Impressive stats two years in a row

I think the school bumped up from AA to AAA because Alabama went from 6 to 7 classes. Small school seems to be the drawback here, doesn't mean he isn't great, but that is probably why Nick Saban isn't offering him a scholarship.

Does look impressive on those MaxPreps highlights, but again, playing Restoration Academy and Abbeville Christian probably explains the recruiting. Also, he looks awesome in the wildcat on the video, but he better not expect to do any of that at Iowa!

As of last year he mentions being recruited by Southern Miss, South Alabama and West Alabama:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20131024/SPORTS03/310240030/High-school-football-Autauga-Academy-transfer-Graham-enjoying-impressive-run

Apparently he played his first two years at a public school but was behind a guy who ended up committing to Auburn so he transferred.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20131024/SPORTS03/310240030/High-school-football-Autauga-Academy-transfer-Graham-enjoying-impressive-run

Funny quote from Rob Howe on twitter:

Eric Graham officially visited #Iowa this past weekend: "13 inches of snow was amazing. I loved it. I've never seen anything like it."

Originally posted by thejazzcat:

Watch the film. This is not a 4.71. This is a helluva pick-up on signing day. Of course that doesn't fit certain narratives.

Pleasant surprise

Look at the competition he is playing against. If he is such a talent, then why did we just notice him today? Like I said, the 4.4 40 and the 600 lb squat are laughable. That squat at that bodyweight is a world record or damn close to it. Everybody looks good on their highlight tape, that's why its called a highlight tape.

Originally posted by iceland:
Does look impressive on those MaxPreps highlights, but again, playing Restoration Academy and Abbeville Christian probably explains the recruiting. Also, he looks awesome in the wildcat on the video, but he better not expect to do any of that at Iowa!
THIS. I took a look at the All-State teams and unless I missed something I saw 13 Edgewood players, 8 Autaugua, 3 Macomb East, 3 Evangel and 1 SMCA.

How do 21 players from two schools make up 75% of the entire All-State class. Either they are THAT good for their class or the class is really small.

My assumption would be that these schools aren't the usual "fertile" recruiting ground for the big boys.

Hopefully he sees the field BEFORE he is a junior or senior. Hopefully he won't fumble his first game, then disappear on the bench.
This post was edited on 2/4 10:48 AM by 83Hawk

I'm hope your posts aren't your highlight reel. You sound extremely ignorant every time you think someone is going to want your opinion.

Shut. Up.

Look at the competition he is playing against. If he is such a talent, then why did we just notice him today? Like I said, the 4.4 40 and the 600 lb squat are laughable. That squat at that bodyweight is a world record or damn close to it. Everybody looks good on their highlight tape, that's why its called a highlight tape.
I don't think the 600 lb squat is that laughable. When I was in high school, we had a kid who could squat huge amounts of weight (I don't remember the exact weight, but it was definitely the 500's at least). He was only like 5'9'' but weighed probably close to 200 lbs. It's definitely not a world record.

Pleasant surprise

Apparently we didn't notice him "just today". The world record for the squat is 1268# BTW.

I like the tape on this kid, takes a little bit of the sting out of the Higdon decision.....

And he doesn't have any stars. You can't be any good unless someone gives you stars!!! Don't you people know anything?
question.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ISPHawk:
I'll say it. Higdon who?
It seems that the biggest difference between the two is that Higdon seemed hellbent on immediate playing time. My guess is that Graham will redshirt next fall. Not that that's a bad thing.

It appears there were no backup plans as KF though he had his stud running back until Harbaugh came in. Graham had no other offers, including FBS schools and had his video on a site that says "recruit me." He may well end up being a decent back, but at this point he was simply filling a space. To make him anymore than that is wishful thinking.

Originally posted by ketelmeister:
It appears there were no backup plans as KF though he had his stud running back until Harbaugh came in. Graham had no other offers, including FBS schools and had his video on a site that says "recruit me." He may well end up being a decent back, but at this point he was simply filling a space. To make him anymore than that is wishful thinking.
Considering everything happened within 2 hours, I'd say there was definitely a backup plan in place

I think the measurables are from when he was only 15, so probably not up to date. My guess is he isn't a 4.4 guy, but definitely not 4.7 either. Probably like the great majority of most backs, around 4.6.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:

Considering everything happened within 2 hours, I'd say there was definitely a backup plan in place
I think this is the definition of a back-up plan. It's pretty obvious that there are people that are assuming that because we knew nothing of it until today, that it was just hatched this morning.

It appears there were no backup plans as KF though he had his stud running back until Harbaugh came in.  Graham had no other offers, including FBS schools and had his video on a site that says "recruit me."  He may well end up being a decent back, but at this point he was simply filling a space.  To make him anymore than that is wishful thinking. 
Or it could be knowing more facts than you do at this point? Blair has brought some facts to light in the lounge. I promise you, you would be happier about it if you knew.

I do think he was a "fall back". But he did visit Iowa city this weekend so the staff did have a back up plan in place for Higdon.

I don't understand some of the fans on here. When people are making a big deal about how many stars a guy has they say they don't pay attention to that they pay attention to who has offered the kid. Well this kid sits in one of the most highly recruited regions in college football from FCS schools to FBS schools and nobody has offered him until 2hrs ago. Now he is the steal of the class? Just face it this staff sucks at recruiting and this program is going south.

Stars and all that other crap aside this kid looks good. His stride looks effortless and he can make cuts on a dime without slowing down. Explodes to daylight as well.

Get stuffed Higdon!

Pleasant surprise

If he is such a talent, then why did we just notice him today?
We, meaning us on the forum, or we meaning the coaching staff? Because I guarantee the coaching staff didn't just notice him. I'm sure he was someone they looked at and after losing our RB to Meechigan, they offered.

An article just came out about Eric Graham. Apparently, once he achieved a qualifying ACT score, he received interest from Iowa, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Mississippi St, and Toledo. Here's a quote from his coach:

"I think Eric is going to be a very good fit for the Big Ten," Sims
said. "He's about 5-10, 200 pounds, and is very athletic and explosive.
He's run a sub 10.9 in the 100 (meter dash) and just does some things
that you don't see people do a whole lot. He can hit full speed in his
first two steps and just being that big and powerful with that kind of
quickness, it makes you a very dangerous runner."

You can read the full article here: https://iowa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1733534

Originally posted by Auger:
I don't understand some of the fans on here. When people are making a big deal about how many stars a guy has they say they don't pay attention to that they pay attention to who has offered the kid. Well this kid sits in one of the most highly recruited regions in college football from FCS schools to FBS schools and nobody has offered him until 2hrs ago. Now he is the steal of the class? Just face it this staff sucks at recruiting and this program is going south.
He was a late qualifier who had ND, Miss St, among others calling recently to get his transcripts. Iowa actually sent a person down there to get them in person. That's what put Iowa on top. He was offered last night also by the way. Seriously, facts man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT