ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched the game

Maybe the OSU game will reveal a different result, but I think the OL is vastly better this year. Maybe it's Lester's schemes that make them more effective, but that can't explain everything; they've improved regardless of schemes. Those years of experience are producing results.

Maybe Cade didn't play as bad as I thought, but Iowa does need a passing game, starting against OSU. If not, it will be back to 9 guys within 5 yards of the LOS, and blocking schemes won't matter much.
It looked to me like we are flipping or quickly handing the ball off to Kaleb, and not running that slow developing stretch play. That gives Kaleb more time to set up blockers and do his thing. Did anyone else notice that or I am I just imagining it?

The problem with Wetjen is that he gets so few snaps the D is going to key on him if he's only in the game for special plays. Only throwing to him more often will help that. For that matter, throwing downfield to anybody. If we can't leverage that off of all the attention KJ draws we're not trying.
Same thing will happen with Sully unless we let him throw some passes
Looked to me like he was open in the slot at the beginning of plays. His db was over 10 years off the ball. If we would just snap and quick throw to him, he could have 5 yards before he even has to make a move.

Reactions: BonzoFury
nice writeup. definitely a feel good post.
Can you also put some thoughts down on issues of the first half -- both defense and offense?
First half O:
--Never once saw any "pulling" of OL. Second half we did it several times.
--Never saw a counter in the first half, but worked it to perfection in second.
--The bootleg -naked to Ostrenga to start second half had me believing almost instantly, "Hawks are going to win this"

First half D:
--We played no tight, press or man coverage on their receivers. Second half, I never saw Castro BEHIND a receiver, he was fronting almost exclusively.
--We got little pressure on Brosmer in First half, ran more stunts and sent LBs up the middle in second half.
--Pass D was vanilla in First half, so with time and little pressure, Brosmer was very comfortable. Second half we disguised coverages, played in front if receivers, and made Brosmer appear almost panicky.
--The three points above were made possible because staff and D players knew Minny wouldn't gash us on the ground.

First half O:
--Never once saw any "pulling" of OL. Second half we did it several times.
--Never saw a counter in the first half, but worked it to perfection in second.
--The bootleg -naked to Ostrenga to start second half had me believing almost instantly, "Hawks are going to win this"

First half D:
--We played no tight, press or man coverage on their receivers. Second half, I never saw Castro BEHIND a receiver, he was fronting almost exclusively.
--We got little pressure on Brosmer in First half, ran more stunts and sent LBs up the middle in second half.
--Pass D was vanilla in First half, so with time and little pressure, Brosmer was very comfortable. Second half we disguised coverages, played in front if receivers, and made Brosmer appear almost panicky.
--The three points above were made possible because staff and D players knew Minny wouldn't gash us on the ground.
First half D ... I think that part of the story in the first half was also that they wanted to only minimally show their hand defensively (so as to give future teams less film to learn from). The intention being that they wanted to dare Brosmer to beat them ... and it turns out that he's quite a capable dude. Once he was comfortable ... he could beat the vanilla-version of our D.

It's still worth remarking that the gophers still only put up 14 points in a half against the D playing vanilla-ball. I'm sure that on those 2 good drives by the Gophers that there were some plays that our guys would like back.

The bigger thing that surprised me was that our O went from looking like the worst side of themselves in the first half ... to looking like a completely different group in the 2nd half. I was NOT an optimistic fan after watching that first half.

I have to believe that with the Buckeye match up so early on our schedule, we went to Minnesota with the intention of not fully opening the playbook,.. I think we see some new wrinkles at least attempted in Columbus.

I have to believe that with the Buckeye match up so early on our schedule, we went to Minnesota with the intention of not fully opening the playbook,.. I think we see some new wrinkles at least attempted in Columbus.
Maybe Lester's press conference was all a big dodge. Maybe there weren't plays he wanted to run but was voted down. Instead, it was just BS to get OSU thinking/planning about stuff that doesn't exist. A little intrigue. A little misdirection. It's all on film. Let OSU try to figure out what the hell he was talking about. I wouldn't be above tossing that out there.

The problem with Wetjen is that he gets so few snaps the D is going to key on him if he's only in the game for special plays. Only throwing to him more often will help that. For that matter, throwing downfield to anybody. If we can't leverage that off of all the attention KJ draws we're not trying.
Same thing will happen with Sully unless we let him throw some passes
Lester didn't mention Wetjen in his interview, but his remarks about Brown may also apply. Brown is still adjusting to the offense and learning how to run the routes correctly. Lester said he needs to work on fundamentals, or as Kirk might say, he has things to clean up.

Reactions: BonzoFury
First half D ... I think that part of the story in the first half was also that they wanted to only minimally show their hand defensively (so as to give future teams less film to learn from). The intention being that they wanted to dare Brosmer to beat them ... and it turns out that he's quite a capable dude. Once he was comfortable ... he could beat the vanilla-version of our D.

It's still worth remarking that the gophers still only put up 14 points in a half against the D playing vanilla-ball. I'm sure that on those 2 good drives by the Gophers that there were some plays that our guys would like back.

The bigger thing that surprised me was that our O went from looking like the worst side of themselves in the first half ... to looking like a completely different group in the 2nd half. I was NOT an optimistic fan after watching that first half.
Agreed. Two observations to add:

--That "catch" by MN that was reviewed, but not overturned, was enough to change momentum to that point, and I think it stayed with the D

--The opening play to Ostrenga completely changes my outlook for the season, even if we lose more games. It proved to me that the staff and team are more on top of things than in the previous two or three seasons.

nice writeup. definitely a feel good post.
Can you also put some thoughts down on issues of the first half -- both defense and offense?
My impression after watching and re-watching and even re-re-watching Iowa/Minn was that Iowa’s defense really became sloppy tacklers in the 2ndQ and they decided to play pass defense as opposed to putting pressure on the QB during this time also.
The second half Iowa used its front 7 to make the QB move his feet and their tackling got much much better.

My impression after watching and re-watching and even re-re-watching Iowa/Minn was that Iowa’s defense really became sloppy tacklers in the 2ndQ and they decided to play pass defense as opposed to putting pressure on the QB during this time also.
The second half Iowa used its front 7 to make the QB move his feet and their tackling got much much better.
Good point on the tackling. Parker mentioned that yesterday. A lot of shoulder pad hits but not wrapping up, including on Minnesota’s second TD.

You shouldn’t rewatch the game three times Joel, once is enough. To rewatch the game twice, you need to get paid.

Agreed. Two observations to add:

--That "catch" by MN that was reviewed, but not overturned, was enough to change momentum to that point, and I think it stayed with the D

--The opening play to Ostrenga completely changes my outlook for the season, even if we lose more games. It proved to me that the staff and team are more on top of things than in the previous two or three seasons.
The fact that our run-game was able to gash the Gopher D so bad ... particularly given that the Gopher's have usually been pretty good at defending the run under Fleck and given that they totally shut us down last season ... that definitely lifted my spirits. Running for a ton against Illinois State and Troy really said nothing. Furthermore, as others pointed out - running for a lot against Iowa State wasn't the biggest deal either considering that they were pretty decimated at LB. However, the fact that Lester was still able to coordinate things such that the run-game continued to make strides ... even against a fairly competent B1G rival-defense ... the raised my eyebrows.

I cannot say that I disagree with Ferentz as it concerns our passing-game. However, I think that he was saying that as a challenge to the players ... and a reminder that we're still far from a finished product on O. However, in prior years ... we've seen how dangerous an Iowa squad can be in they continue to improve week-in and week-out.

I'm hopeful ...

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT