ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa school voucher applications surpass expectations, cost likely to follow

I have to wait a few years to get any because I make too much money.

I have issues with this bill, most notably the lack of equal access across the state due to the low availability of private schools in some counties. The other issue is the two year roll out that is income based for current private school students and no income requirement for public school transfers. In year 3 everyone is eligible.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Am I reading that correctly that they actually give the funds to families to pay the tuition to schools?

If so, wouldn’t it have been easier to pay schools directly for enrolled students? Seems like one less step in the funds transfer and less chance for abuse.
Don't worry our auditor can't review anything here so the grift can be maximized.

Am I reading that correctly that they actually give the funds to families to pay the tuition to schools?

If so, wouldn’t it have been easier to pay schools directly for enrolled students? Seems like one less step in the funds transfer and less chance for abuse.
So, you are saying a bill crammed through in a week with next to no public comment might have a few flaws? Interesting.

So, you are saying a bill crammed through in a week with next to no public comment might have a few flaws? Interesting.

It had been debated for over two legislative sessions.

People had plenty of time to voice their opinion...and they did just that.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Wonder how many of the applicants weren't already going to a private school 10 percent ?

This is laughable. This was rammed through by Republicans, they ignored anything the Democrats proposed and brought up. They ignored numerous testimony by concerned citizens and experts and Reynolds primaried any decent Republican who was rightfully against this in 2022. She takes orders from RW dark forces. She's an atrocity and the worst Governor in state history. Period

This is laughable. This was rammed through by Republicans, they ignored anything the Democrats proposed and brought up. They ignored numerous testimony by concerned citizens and experts and Reynolds primaried any decent Republican who was rightfully against this in 2022. She takes orders from RW dark forces. She's an atrocity and the worst Governor in state history. Period

So you admit that there was opposing comment.

Wonder how many of the applicants weren't already going to a private school 10 percent ?

Just the opposite I expect. Most of the families with students already attending private school would not qualify based on the guidelines the first two years.

It was rejected the last session, and Kimmie killed off four members of her party to push it through.
It was literally jammed through in the first week of this session with one or two hearings.

It was rejected the last session, and Kimmie killed off four members of her party to push it through.
It was literally jammed through in the first week of this session with one or two hearings.

You're admitting that you all had plenty of time.

Just the opposite I expect. Most of the families with students already attending private school would not qualify based on the guidelines the first two years.
So u think the majority are new kids to private schools. I'd take that bet. With the tuitions being increased. It doesn't make sense. When Wisconsin started a similar program opening it up to families of 80000 or less. Around 85 perecent of the new voucher kids already went to private schools.
There are only so many slots available and private schools aren't going to kick out kids already attending to make room for more. The whole point of private schools is smaller class size and more individual attention. They are going to be highly selective of new enrollees.

Laughable.

The vast majority of Iowans were against this from the beginning.

There's a reason this was rushed through the new legislature...with no time for "town halls" or real debate.

This will be a massive drain of taxpayer dollars.

Of course, Dim Kim will be long gone by that time and some other poor schmuck will be left to clean up the mess.
Dumb, fvcking bitch.

Yes. We had plenty of time because even republicans were against it. Then Kimmie thinned her herd by four, and jammed it through in the first week in order to prevent opposition from forming.
Each session is different. Interesting that you seem to be opposed to this boondoggle, but are bending over backwards to defend it.

So u think the majority are new kids to private schools. I'd take that bet. With the tuitions being increased. It doesn't make sense. When Wisconsin started a similar program opening it up to families of 80000 or less. Around 85 perecent of the new voucher kids already went to private schools.
There are only so many slots available and private schools aren't going to kick out kids already attending to make room for more. The whole point of private schools is smaller class size and more individual attention. They are going to be highly selective of new enrollees.
Precisely private schools are not an elastic market. The success of private schools is dependent on their selective process. They aren't better at producing high performers they are better at avoiding low performers, mostly by not allowing access.

You're wrong. As usual. Children in poverty aren't getting into private schools at any significant rate. Special needs kids? lol

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I don't believe it will be of concern. I'm confident that it will be adequately monitored to prevent abuse.
You can't believe this. If a Democrat got rid of the power of the ONE person who had any oversight of their office you would lose your shit.

Again, this is authoritarianism. Because Republican, you're perfectly fine with it.

Precisely private schools are not an elastic market. The success of private schools is dependent on their selective process. They aren't better at producing high performers they are better at avoiding low performers, mostly by not allowing access.
This exactly. Don’t want their kids mingling with any kind of minorities unless they play sports to help them win championships.

That and being able to give them more individual attention. My daughter would do better with a tutor as well. Vs being one of 37.

Yes. We had plenty of time because even republicans were against it. Then Kimmie thinned her herd by four, and jammed it through in the first week in order to prevent opposition from forming.
Each session is different. Interesting that you seem to be opposed to this boondoggle, but are bending over backwards to defend it.

I'm more nuanced than most of you. I can point out the deficiencies while at the same time acknowledging that there was an ample amount of time for discussion on the matter. You just don't like the results post discussion.

I don't believe it will be of concern. I'm confident that it will be adequately monitored to prevent abuse.
There's a reason that none of your political cohorts are agreeing with your stance on this.

Analyze this from a non political POV. It is a deeply flawed program that benefits <10% of kids.

The clown the Iowa Governor brought into administer the program is nothing but a "Yes man".

Reactions: Tom Paris
You're wrong. As usual. Children in poverty aren't getting into private schools at any significant rate. Special needs kids? lol

Actually you're agreeing with me.

You say "Children in poverty aren't getting into private schools at any significant rate." I agree.

So most of those already attending private school are not going to qualify for assistance the first two years.

I'm more nuanced than most of you. I can point out the deficiencies while at the same time acknowledging that there was an ample amount of time for discussion on the matter. You just don't like the results post discussion.

200w.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT