ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa softball beats Maryland to make National Invitational Softball Championship Game (NIT of softball) vs BYU

Good to see, Iowa softball is no longer a laughingstock program. They’re actually competitive again.
Even better: they have only one Senior starter. The winning pitcher in the semi and final was a Freshman, and the tournament MVP (Grace Banes) is a Junior.

I'll admit to not follow softball closely but seem to remember Iowa having solid teams. What happened prior this year as far as reaching laughingstock status?
Our great coach Gayle Blevins retired as the 2nd winningest coach in NCAA softball history. We’ve kind of wandered in the wilderness since then. Hopefully we’re on the right track with the current coach.

At a quick glance… Roster is heavy to in state kids and Californians. Beat Miss. State, 2-2 vs. ACC schools, close losses to UCLA and Oregon St. on the road. Not much home field advantage. Competitive squad.

Has a chance to stake the claim as the best snubbed college softball team (aka cold weather team). Championship game is tomorrow on Triple Crown Sports YouTube channel.

Ease over to ESPN to watch Kat Sandercock shutting out South Cackalackey. She is bringing it today. @Menace Sockeyes

Oops, lightening delay for at least 30 minutes.

Last edited:
LOL. Yeah, bring back that Not Invited Tournament trophy.

The only thing that trophy will serve is to let everyone know that the Hawks didn't make it to the real tournament that year.

1- I coached and taught a player on the team so I do care.
2- You don't understand how bad Iowa's softball team has been. They have been putrid. Not even earning a trip to the conference tournament. This is a step in the right direction.

Ease over to ESPN to watch Kat Sandercock shutting out South Cackalackey. She is bringing it today. @Menace Sockeyes

Oops, lightening delay for at least 30 minutes.
I’ve been watching the ‘Noles for years. You got your natty about the time a once proud program at Iowa hit rock bottom. When I was going there, Iowa made their fourth Women’s College World Series in seven years, on their fourth Big Ten title. Luckily, the Hawks are slowly on the upswing after we hired University of North Florida’s title winning coach, a native Iowan.

Reactions: billanole
If we want to talk about teams not playing in the real tournament. The iowa club softball team just finished in 2nd place in the club World Series.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT