ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa solidly in first ESPN bracket

Actually, according to the NET rankings, Kent State would be their best win. But that win was also at home and by two points as well so it probably doesn’t mean much.
Yeah I was looking at the KenPom ranks. Charleston is 3-0 in Q2, every win by 2 points lol. KenPom has them top 20 in "Luck" due to how many of their wins are decided by just a couple possessions.
I suppose it's fun for the AP voters to rank these mid-major schools, but it is a bit silly to refer to them as a top 25 team in the country at the moment. Florida Atlantic actually has a decent resume, so I'm not sure why Charleston seems to be getting more love and attention this year.

No one was scared of Richmond

I am scared of spiders ... :)

giphy.gif

ISU playing in Des Moines is going to make me vomit
Honestly the best outcome is them getting like a 3 seed but Kansas and K State or Marquette being higher in the true seed list and then watching the Iowa State fans meltdown as they try to wrap their mind around being placed in Denver or somewhere worse.
There's a lot of good teams this year who's first choice would be Des Moines.

At some point you would assume the committee will learn that the Big Ten is consistently overrated and adjust bid’s accordingly. But here we go again with ESPN projecting 10 bids!

Reactions: Mohawkeye
At some point you would assume the committee will learn that the Big Ten is consistently overrated and adjust bid’s accordingly. But here we go again with ESPN projecting 10 bids!
The issue is where do the other bids come from? The ACC, Big East, SEC and PAC are all really top heavy and the only mid major league that has more than a couple good teams is the Mountain West. The majority of at large bids is going to come from the B12 and Big10 due to this. The committee doesn't just get to decide the field is only 54 teams this year because the bubble sucks.

Bunch of Doomsdayers

I was being overly sarcastic. The odds of ESPN picking Iowa’s correct seed on Jan 18th, not to mention their actual opponent, are quite astronomical at this point.

I don’t think anyone is truly worried because there’s still so much of the season left. If I’m being a “doomsdayer” about anything, it would be actually making the tournament. I was just pointing out that of course Iowa would draw a team that would under seeded again.

Reactions: NI hawk
I was being overly sarcastic. The odds of ESPN picking Iowa’s correct seed on Jan 18th, not to mention their actual opponent, are quite astronomical at this point.

I don’t think anyone is truly worried because there’s still so much of the season left. If I’m being a “doomsdayer” about anything, it would be actually making the tournament. I was just pointing out that of course Iowa would draw a team that would under seeded again.
Except last year. Richmond was a 12 that was more like a 14 seed. South Dakota was a 13 seed tbat would have beat Richmond by double-digits.

There are another 13 BIG games and the BIG tournament before Iowa needs to worry about who they play in the NCAA. The mock sports results are worthless IMO.

Right. And I've said this before....Being a bracket expert is just like being a weatherman. You can be wrong right up until the moment you're not.

Reactions: iahawks10
The issue is where do the other bids come from? The ACC, Big East, SEC and PAC are all really top heavy and the only mid major league that has more than a couple good teams is the Mountain West. The majority of at large bids is going to come from the B12 and Big10 due to this. The committee doesn't just get to decide the field is only 54 teams this year because the bubble sucks.
I know you are talking about ISU, but is it even possible for Iowa to get a 3 seed at this point? If they were to go undefeated for the rest of the season and then win the BTT, would they get a 3 seed? I have to think that would happen, but that EIU loss is really bad.

I know you are talking about ISU, but is it even possible for Iowa to get a 3 seed at this point? If they were to go undefeated for the rest of the season and then win the BTT, would they get a 3 seed? I have to think that would happen, but that EIU loss is really bad.
Iowa's currently a 7 seed on most projected brackets. So a 3 seed is jumping roughly 16 teams on the seed list.
Where things stand right now, Iowa has 9 remaining Q1 games in the regular season. Assuming the BTT is at least 2 if not 3 additional Q1 games, that would put Iowa with something like 17 Q1 wins. I'd think that would lock them into a top 3 seed. Hell if they ran the table they could probably get close to a 1 seed as crazy as that sounds, because at some point if a team is that hot and winning that much the EIU loss looks like such an anomaly and then Kris and Connor's absence get's taken even more into account.

It's a fun hypothetical to think about--it would certainly lead to some really interesting discussions on bracket shows and on message boards. I don't think there's a right answer which is what makes the question fun IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT