ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State On Upset Alert This Weekend

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
I would be shocked if it happened but ISU is a rather slow starter so to speak ...

“Louisiana at No. 23 Iowa State (Noon ET on ESPN)
If a ranked team is going down this week, it's going to be Iowa State.
I say that not because the Cyclones needed three overtimes to win their season opener against Northern Iowa last year but because Louisiana is much better than your average Sun Belt team. The Ragin' Cajuns went 11-3 in 2019 with a competitive loss to Appalachian State and a solid effort in a season-opening loss to Mississippi State.
From that team, they bring back two running backs, Elijah Mitchell and Trey Ragas, who have combined for more than 4,000 rushing yards and 55 touchdowns over the past two seasons and a quarterback, Levi Lewis, who quietly threw for more than 3,000 yards with a 26-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. They also have back a ton of key pieces from a defense that held opponents to 19.7 points per game.
Brock Purdy and Co. should get the job done, but this seems like a game destined to come down to the wire.”

Let’s go!

1920px-Ragin_Cajuns_logo.svg.png

I would be shocked if it happened but ISU is a rather slow starter so to speak ...

“Louisiana at No. 23 Iowa State (Noon ET on ESPN)
If a ranked team is going down this week, it's going to be Iowa State.
I say that not because the Cyclones needed three overtimes to win their season opener against Northern Iowa last year but because Louisiana is much better than your average Sun Belt team. The Ragin' Cajuns went 11-3 in 2019 with a competitive loss to Appalachian State and a solid effort in a season-opening loss to Mississippi State.
From that team, they bring back two running backs, Elijah Mitchell and Trey Ragas, who have combined for more than 4,000 rushing yards and 55 touchdowns over the past two seasons and a quarterback, Levi Lewis, who quietly threw for more than 3,000 yards with a 26-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. They also have back a ton of key pieces from a defense that held opponents to 19.7 points per game.
Brock Purdy and Co. should get the job done, but this seems like a game destined to come down to the wire.”

Wouldn't be shocking at all if ISU loses. Louisiana is a good team for their level and ISU starts slow. It will be a good win if ISU pulls it off regardless of the score.

I have to watch the game with my brother-in-law who is a clown fan. It would soften the blow if the Ragin Caguns get this one. Not sure how to get through this fall.

They have a lot of inexperience on their depth chart. Their OL is a huge question mark. On defense they should be good but they need a NG to step forward. If Purdy goes down, they are toast.

I might watch just to view the punt team for ISU and, if after five years, Campball has figured out that you need a good OLine to be a consistent winner. You don't see many P5 teams with such a pathetic OLine.

I am curious to see ISU who won 7 games while favored in 10 last year does this year. I am guessing better because won’t have the Super Bowl loss to torpedo the season again. I mean 7-6 with best team ever and losses to only teams with a pulse. Everybody loves ISU cause they play nobody for most games. Look at what teams disciplined (OSU isn’t disciplined but Purdy gave the game away) do to them. Iowa, K-St, ND. I mean UNI is disciplined and it took multiple OT’s. Will be interesting. I do give them an extra win or 2 without fans since Trice is zero home field advantage unless Iowa is playing there.

Honestly, after watching some of the first games last weekend, I'm just hoping for some competitive football. I just want it to be close and entertaining so I can watch an entire college football game.

Big difference this year, UNI plays Iowa/ISU tough, ISU is not having to prepare for Iowa the 2nd game of the year.

Louisiana is good, but with no Iowa to prepare for week after opener, and 2 weeks until the next game ISU should cover and win.

FS - I agree except if I recall ISU had a bye after UNI last year so had an extra week to prepare for Iowa. Leave aside they prepare all year for Iowa as evidenced by their countdown clock for the Iowa game which stays static all year for the Iowa game.

Big difference this year, UNI plays Iowa/ISU tough, ISU is not having to prepare for Iowa the 2nd game of the year.

Louisiana is good, but with no Iowa to prepare for week after opener, and 2 weeks until the next game ISU should cover and win.

Iowa State doesn't typically come out Week 1 looking like world beaters and they will be playing in front of no fans, something that will impact early games more than people think since it's so odd. The fact Iowa State isn't looking ahead to Iowa will impact this game very little. IMO fans put way too much stock in the "looking ahead" narrative. You think Iowa State was really dismissing UNI week 1 last year, when UNI always plays them close and seems to beat them more often than not?

I don't doubt that Iowa State will win, or even cover, but it won't be on account of not having Iowa on the schedule next week.

Will Pollard be in the stands screaming? Maybe he gets to be CY this weekend so as not to put anyone else at risk. Technically he would be at risk since he had past heart issues and his age.

Last edited:
Tim Brando has ISU #6 in his top ten. Says that clones have been underrated.the last 5 years
under Campbell. Says they will beat Texas and meet OK in Big 12 title game. No mention of their 5 game losing streak to Iowa.

Every year under Matty the Clones are “underrated.” If they are, the. why the hell do they end up unranked every year and a total crap the bed last year of 7-6. JFC, did anyone watch that bowl game with an ND team who said they didn’t want to be there?! One ND player said before the game he hoped they were playing Iowa cause from the Big 10. Their team captain safety 3 days before the game didn’t know ISU QB’s name for crap sakes. And yet ISU still got boat raced in the monster game JP “orchestrated.” They better do it this year against that piss any schedule and missing their guaranteed loss (Iowa) early on cause otherwise they missed the window. Purdy and Kolar gone, and whether Matty still stays their recruiting is brutal.

Tim Brando has ISU #6 in his top ten. Says that clones have been underrated.the last 5 years
under Campbell. Says they will beat Texas and meet OK in Big 12 title game. No mention of their 5 game losing streak to Iowa.

So poll is based on who is playing.
Since Iowa is not playing this year why would you expect him to mention them?

Every year under Matty the Clones are “underrated.” If they are, the. why the hell do they end up unranked every year and a total crap the bed last year of 7-6. JFC, did anyone watch that bowl game with an ND team who said they didn’t want to be there?! One ND player said before the game he hoped they were playing Iowa cause from the Big 10. Their team captain safety 3 days before the game didn’t know ISU QB’s name for crap sakes. And yet ISU still got boat raced in the monster game JP “orchestrated.” They better do it this year against that piss any schedule and missing their guaranteed loss (Iowa) early on cause otherwise they missed the window. Purdy and Kolar gone, and whether Matty still stays their recruiting is brutal.

Unless Purdy craps the bed, then he will be back for 2021.

And Matty did call the WR pass for the TD and do a big FU to the Iowa bench.

I’m traveling to Des Moines this weekend. Would be a shame if Iowa State losses while I watch it with an ISU friend.
It was a pretty great weekend. Cheering for the Ragin Cajuns was kind of a joke then they just curb stomped the Cyclones. Unreal.

Reactions: David1979
Loved this game. They were bad in all phases of the game. Purdy looked like crap and so did their receivers even though I was told they are loaded at WR and TE. Their RB was meh. Their defense was meh. special teams was atrocious. Only thing that will save them this year is that Big 12 overall is bad so they should still win a few a couple games. Tech, KU, KSU all suck and TCU isn't much better.

Is that the same guy who had Nebraska ranked in the top 10 last year? I think he might need a new profession.

Reactions: ichawk24 and grhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT