ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Outplaced Iowa

Scruddy

HR Heisman
Mar 18, 2021
No trophy for them either but good lord when is the last time this happened? 5th in the nation and second in the state is not a place a program like this wants to be...

No trophy for them either but good lord when is the last time this happened? 5th in the nation and second in the state is not a place a program like this wants to be...

It was their best team in years and it took suspensions to 4 returning NCAA qualifiers, including 2 all Americans, for them to finally beat Iowa by 1.5 points after 17 years.

Doesn’t even register on the list of concerns about this program. We’d have been a solid 75-80 points behind PSU even without the suspensions. Much bigger concern. Not acceptable to be that far behind.

To be honest, probably even more concerning for the sport that Iowa had the suspension issues and the most any team other than PSU could out score Iowa by was 5.5 points.

It was their best team in years and it took suspensions to 4 returning NCAA qualifiers, including 2 all Americans, for them to finally beat Iowa by 1.5 points after 17 years.

Doesn’t even register on the list of concerns about this program. We’d have been a solid 75-80 points behind PSU even without the suspensions. Much bigger concern. Not acceptable to be that far behind.

To be honest, probably even more concerning for the sport that Iowa had the suspension issues and the most any team other than PSU could out score Iowa by was 5.5 points.
Excellent post. And it took a lucky medical forfeit (worth 2 points) in ISU’s last match Saturday morning to beat Iowa by 1.5. Woods dominated Echemendia to knock him to the 5/6th place match against McNeil from UNC (who had beat Woods on Friday). This would have been a difficult match for Echemendia, but McNeil medical forfeited giving ISU 3 points (2 for MF and 1 for 5th). This stuff happens in tournaments, but very fortunate.

Cornell had 3 AA and finished in 2nd place. Its unbelievable.

I've never been on the fire Brands thing. Still am not. Iowa was literally a match or two away from second place. Unfortunately, consistently keeping up with psu seems like a pipe dream.

Reactions: Spoons and Hwt1
PSU had over half their team in the finals and had two other all Americans. They had one of their number 1 seeds and a returning AA not even place. Tyler Kasak was a fill-in for returning AA Van Ness, and he scored a boat load of bonus points, finishing 3rd. They graduate some upper weight studs, but they reload with a huge recruiting class. It’s going to be a long time before anyone derails the PSU train. I said it before, going forward I’m not going to pay attention to them. The race is for second for the foreseeable future. Sad but true.

Cornell had 3 AA and finished in 2nd place. Its unbelievable.

I've never been on the fire Brands thing. Still am not. Iowa was literally a match or two away from second place. Unfortunately, consistently keeping up with psu seems like a pipe dream.
Why, is Cael gonna continue to ruin the sport of college wrestling for another 15-20 years?

Excellent post. And it took a lucky medical forfeit (worth 2 points) in ISU’s last match Saturday morning to beat Iowa by 1.5. Woods dominated Echemendia to knock him to the 5/6th place match against McNeil from UNC (who had beat Woods on Friday). This would have been a difficult match for Echemendia, but McNeil medical forfeited giving ISU 3 points (2 for MF and 1 for 5th). This stuff happens in tournaments, but very fortunate.
So if you wanna make this argument about gifting Iowa st 3 points you need to mention how rathjen was also gifted points for a medical default match…..I bet you just “forgot” about that one didn’t ya?😉

Reactions: Lambertt
So if you wanna make this argument about gifting Iowa st 3 points you need to mention how rathjen was also gifted points for a medical default match…..I bet you just “forgot” about that one didn’t ya?😉
A little bit of a difference, but bet you just “forgot” to mention that. Rathjen had to actually wrestle (injury happened during the match) and it was against the 29th seed. Echemendia had just gotten dominated by Woods and he was supposed to wrestle the #6 seed from UNC that had beaten Woods earlier in tournament. The match didn’t even start, Echemendia didn’t have to wrestle. But thanks for visiting the Iowa forum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT